Formula 1 2021

wood

14 minutes ago, Starfleet Command said:

I cannot express how much I hate Lewis Hamilton. 

Hit the wall AND spun out within 5 minutes of each other in qualifying, started on the 2nd row, shitty off the line on Sunday, everyone else came out behind him after slow stops, we wanted to stay out but his team made him change tires, rain spins out the leader with 3 laps left.

Just how he drew it up. It's not luck when he has 100 victories, but damn.

1 hour ago, VABuckeye said:

Oh, Lando.  Listen to your crew.

yeah, I don't understand the concept of refusing to pit if you don't know what weather's coming. It sounds like his team might've messed up and not communicated the impending rain well enough, but deciding whether or not stay out with rain coming is very different than making your own decision on if the track is drying or how wet it is if the rain has subsided. 

1 hour ago, elfenix said:

Love Alonso not even trying to make T2 on lap 1. Laughed hard at that

Smart move though, and he gave the spots back.

Great race by Alonso, esp in the wet on slicks.  He would have likely finished P6 or higher without the rain, but P7 is fantastic for that car.

Leclerc got screwed hard today. He was charging through the field on fresh mediums and about to pass Verstappen and maybe Ricciardo for 6th or 7th. Instead he stays out one more lap when it runs bc Sainz pitted right in front of him and they weren’t ready for a double so he GOR sone more lap and can’t keep it on the track with slicks. 

6 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Leclerc got screwed hard today. He was charging through the field on fresh mediums and about to pass Verstappen and maybe Ricciardo for 6th or 7th. Instead he stays out one more lap when it runs bc Sainz pitted right in front of him and they weren’t ready for a double so he GOR sone more lap and can’t keep it on the track with slicks. 

Yeah it was really just a dice roll for everyone. Alonso woulda had P2 had he pitted one lap earlier.

Just now, wood said:

Yeah it was really just a dice roll for everyone. Alonso woulda had P2 had he pitted one lap earlier.

Yeah, it was basically two separate races. The sucky part for Leclerc is his teammate more or less blocked him from being able to pit.  Sucks so hard for Lando. I wanted him to get hi first win, but he’ll have more coming in his career. 

Leclerc kept up with Verstappen fairly well in the middle stint of the race and Ferrari said they held back the new ERS for reliability so it only added 8 bhp. Reports are they should have another 7 in Turkey when it’s fully used. I’m looking forward to seeing their pace with the full upgrade. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Hell of a finish.  What a way for Hamilton to get 100.  Was pulling for Lando to get the win.  I know Hamilton is not every one's cup of tea but I appreciated his praise of Lando.  McLaren has to be kicking themselves for missing out on 2 consecutive P1s.   I know I was hoping for that outcome.  

After Hamilton pitted, it was amazing how fast he made up the ground on Norris.  There was an overhead shot of when Hamilton passed Norris and it showed the contrast in grip.  Hamilton looked like a speed boat throwing up a decent wake and Norris and another car looked like they were a couple of trolling party barges.

On 9/26/2021 at 10:33 AM, texas08 said:

What a race. This is how formula 1 should be EVERY RACE.

If we didn't have the snooze fest races, would we appreciate the bonkers races as much though?

Who am I kidding, I live for these kinds of races. MOAR PLZ

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, NoName said:

really interesting summary of when folks switched to intermediates from reddit on a per driver basis

https://old.reddit.com/r/formula1/comments/pw11xz/a_not_so_quick_summary_of_all_the_calls_that_were/

Yep. Interesting. It was all a crapshoot for everyone. Some gained spots, some lost. IIRC the people who went onto inters early were something like 10s slower than the guys on slicks & it was looking like they were getting it wrong or at least had jumped too quickly. It was all going great for the guys on slicks while the rain stayed light. McLaren told Lando the drizzle would continue, so he stayed out. The Alpine pit wall told Alonso the rain was decreasing, so he stayed out. He's the one who made the call to come in on the next lap. It was also a risk well worth it for Alpine & Alonso, because if the gamble paid off, he was getting probably P2 at worst. As it is they tightened their grip on P5 in the WCC. Then the bottom suddenly fell out of the sky. There's no way to accurately predict fluctuations in rain intensity in small areas moment to moment, so everyone was just guessing. Had the rain stayed steady, the guys on slicks would have been the heroes. Some guessed right, & some guessed wrong. Fun stuff. 

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, NoName said:

really interesting summary of when folks switched to intermediates from reddit on a per driver basis

https://old.reddit.com/r/formula1/comments/pw11xz/a_not_so_quick_summary_of_all_the_calls_that_were/

Super helpful, thanks.

Perez looked like he was heading for a podium and then all hell broke loose.  Next thing I knew, he was P9 and I had no idea how he got there.  

Man, the Checo Perez Experience is something else...

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

It's interesting how well Norris, Checo and LeClerc drove and waiting one lap to go on intermediates completely fucked them.  If they all go on inters at the right time Hamilton and Verstappen don't sniff the podium.  Well, Hamilton might have as he was second behind Norris.

Hamilton and Lando were almost a minute ahead of everyone else when Lewis pitted for inters.  He was always going to win when that happened.

4 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Hamilton and Lando were almost a minute ahead of everyone else when Lewis pitted for inters.  He was always going to win when that happened.

Yep. Even if Lando had decided to pit the next time around after Lewis did, he would have come out behind him given the better lap times on inters.

He had to have the guts to pit before he knew for sure that Lewis was committed. I can see why it was a tough decision.

Yep. Even if Lando had decided to pit the next time around after Lewis did, he would have come out behind him given the better lap times on inters.
He had to have the guts to pit before he knew for sure that Lewis was committed. I can see why it was a tough decision.
Apparently McLaren didn't think the rain was going to get worse, MB did. Mercedes was right, and by the time Lando FAFO'd, it was too late. I appreciate they wanted the win, but that was a big fuck up. They had P2 locked up, at worst.

37 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Yep. It was a very tough one. Being the lead car so late with rain coming in was quite problematic, as is pretty well explained in this Autosport article. Probably McLaren's biggest mistake was when the slow stop for Ricciardo, who was running P2 at the time. Had they been clean, they would have likely had a 1-2 when the rain hit, and then could have split strategies to basically guarantee one of their cars would win.

McLaren's mistake in Russian GP not only its weather forecast https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/mclarens-mistake-in-russian-gp-not-only-its-weather-forecast/6676911/

• Like 1

Yep. It was a very tough one. Being the lead car so late with rain coming in was quite problematic, as is pretty well explained in this Autosport article. Probably McLaren's biggest mistake was when the slow stop for Ricciardo, who was running P2 at the time. Had they been clean, they would have likely had a 1-2 when the rain hit, and then could have split strategies to basically guarantee one of their cars would win.
McLaren's mistake in Russian GP not only its weather forecast https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/mclarens-mistake-in-russian-gp-not-only-its-weather-forecast/6676911/

Yeah, Danny's pit stop was a killer.

22 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Yeah, didn't McLaren go from having the fastest pit stop for all of 2021 in the previous race, to that mess in Sochi?  Just brutal.

It’s absolute ridiculous that the FIA changed the pit stop mechanics mid season. Slow pit stops have been happening like crazy and have massive impacts on the outcomes of the races. It’s especially absurd to do it mid-season when you have such a close title battle. No one wants to see this title be decided by new pit stop rules. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

It’s absolute ridiculous that the FIA changed the pit stop mechanics mid season. Slow pit stops have been happening like crazy and have massive impacts on the outcomes of the races. It’s especially absurd to do it mid-season when you have such a close title battle. No one wants to see this title be decided by new pit stop rules. 

making the change midseason on that was insanity to me.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yep, and now some are questioning it on safety grounds as well. There are numerous stops where there's obvious confusion in the team members out in the pit lane. That's a recipe for disaster in that environment.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, faps said:

Not the first time the FIA has made a midseason change to hurt/help a specific team. Thinking about 2003 and the Michelin runners, with Williams in particular, getting hosed.

Yep, and Renault's mass damper. It was an integral part of their design, and other teams',  residing inside the nose. They asked for clarification from the FIA and were told repeatedly it was legal. Midseason it was ruled a "moveable aerodynamic device" and banned.  And yeah, there are many more. They still barely won the championship, but the car was slowed for the rest of the 2006 season.

Edited by wood

OBTW, get used to Mazespin's punchable face. He says his daddy might buy a team. Haas, no doubt. They're already a Russian team as it is, so I guess it doesn't much matter.
He is the only driver on the grid i truly dislike. Even the other pay drivers like Latifi are seemingly good dudes. But not Mazespin.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

He is the only driver on the grid i truly dislike. Even the other pay drivers like Latifi are seemingly good dudes. But not Mazespin.

He’s also dirty as fuck. He had another illegal defense against Tsunoda this week.

If Haas gets a car that’s even semi-competitive, he’s gonna cause a ton of issues. 

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

He’s also dirty as fuck. He had another illegal defense against Tsunoda this week.

If Haas gets a car that’s even semi-competitive, he’s gonna cause a ton of issues. 

Yeah, that's a big part of why I don't like him.  He races dirty and he (or another driver - most likely Mick) is going to end up hurt due to his bullshit.  And he's just an asshole.  Exactly what you would expect from a Russian oligarch's kid.

• Hook 'Em 2