Texas Roster 2021 -- Turn This Shit Around

LTtxfan

That’s pretty nuts for Leitao to be going to med school after he got caught selling rather significant amounts of pills in high school. Most kids caught doing that at that age get their life thrown away. Helped him out that he was an athlete & a rich kid, but that’s still quite the turn around. 

• Hook 'Em 3

9 hours ago, Helobious said:

That’s pretty nuts for Leitao to be going to med school after he got caught selling rather significant amounts of pills in high school. Most kids caught doing that at that age get their life thrown away. Helped him out that he was an athlete & a rich kid, but that’s still quite the turn around. 

You might hold most doctors in too high a regard. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

I'm not sure if I'm right on this, but it seems like the 85 scholarship limit was amended to exempt from counting any senior playing their 5th season.  This would not only exempt from the count any member of the class of '16, but also any senior in the class of '17 who never redshirted.  By my count, we may have 2 additional scholarships for Derek Kerstetter and Cade Brewer.   

Edited by bejezuz

4 roster spots left open after today per SARK...

Added since NSD1:

• Ray Thornton            LSU      OLB
  • Ovie Oghoufo            ND        OLB
  • David Abiara             2021      DE/DL
  • Ishmael Ibraheem     2021      CB
  • Keithron Lee              2021      WR/Slot

Darion Dunn (CB) from McNeese State counts in the current roster numbers too...

Edited by LTtxfan

10 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Not sure where this goes exactly but looks like former Horn Kobe Boyce lost his dad. Seems like he's had a tough few years. 

Damn 🙏🙏🙏

Kobe left the football team.  He was battling depression.

Texas CB Kobe Boyce announces he will take ‘a step away from football.'

July 18th, 2020

Citing a struggle with depression, Texas cornerback Kobe Boyce announced Saturday on Twitter that he would be “taking a step away from football.”

A redshirt junior from Lake Dallas, Boyce had started six games the past two seasons. He had four tackles and a team-best five pass breakups in 2019.

“For a few years now I have been battling depression and I let all of my emotions build up and it wasn’t a good feeling,” Boyce wrote. “Are used to be scared of discussing this and kept it all to myself and anyone who is going through the same thing please talk to someone. You are not alone. Everyone is struggling with something in life especially in these times. Take care of yourself and your mental health because you won’t be able to operate in anything you do if your head is not in the right place.

“That’s what I felt I was and I am going to be taking a step away from football and work on myself. I would like to thank all of my teammates, coaches, friend, and family of course… for being with me on this journey. It wasn’t what I expected but I definitely learned a lot about myself and learn some valuable life lessons in this time.”

A two-time member of the Big 12 honor roll, Boyce indicated that he would continue to pursue a degree at Texas. 

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/texas-longhorns/2020/07/18/texas-cb-kobe-boyce-announces-he-will-take-a-step-away-from-football/

Edited by LTtxfan

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

4 roster spots left open after today per SARK...

Added since NSD1:

• Ray Thornton            LSU      OLB
  • Ovie Oghoufo            ND        OLB
  • David Abiara             2021      DE/DL
  • Ishmael Ibraheem     2021      CB
  • Keithron Lee              2021      WR/Slot

Darion Dunn (CB) from McNeese State counts in the current roster numbers too...

So help me understand.  The cap is 85.  With four spots left I should assume that we have 81 players on scholarship that count toward the cap?  That does not include the players who don't count toward the cap for this season, years 2017(6) and 2016(2).  So we should have 81 + 8 covid =89 players on scholarship? 

Do walk ons get the scholarship for more than one year?  Is Bush and Brock gonna be on scholarship next season?  

Edited by RollLeft

18 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

So help me understand.  The cap is 85.  With four spots left I should assume that we have 81 players on scholarship that count toward the cap?  That does not include the players who don't count toward the cap for this season, years 2017(6) and 2016(2).  So we should have 81 + 8 covid =89 players on scholarship? 

Do walk ons get the scholarship for more than one year?  Is Bush and Brock gonna be on scholarship next season?  

Not sure how exactly they still have 4 spots left -- lots of different rules affect the 85 roster count number...

Edited by LTtxfan

35 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

Walk-ons don't get it unless they get renewed. Doubt they're concerned about the 85 since the usual attrition will make up for going over a bit. They only signed 21 guys, took 4 transfers,  and have 4 extra backcounted from last year I think. Therefore they have 4 left. Not an expert on all these rando roster rules though.

Edited by Bevo14
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

42 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Not sure how exactly they still have 4 spots left -- lots of different rules affect the 85 roster count number...

25 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

Walk-ons don't get it unless they get renewed. Doubt they're concerned about the 85 since the usual attrition will make up for going over a bit. They only signed 21 guys, took 4 transfers,  and have 4 extra backcounted from last year I think. Therefore they have 4 left. Not an expert on all these rando roster rules though.

Yes, the 4 spots left is related to how many guys we can sign this year. It’s not referring to the 85 man roster limit. I don’t think we’re anywhere near the 85 limit. I’d guess the staff will just use the 4 left towards the 22 class, unless they can land an impact transfer or two before the season. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 2/1/2021 at 10:44 PM, Helobious said:

At least he isn’t trying to get his PharmD.

This is OB's write up on scholly. They have us at 81, but that doesn't include Ovie because he doesn't arrive until summer

Spoiler

Here are a few things you need to know about the 2021 college football roster:

--- The NCAA is not counting seniors who returned for another year at the same school against the program’s scholarship number. For instance, Texas senior tight end Cade Brewer does not count. However, senior defensive back Darion Dunn, who transferred from McNeese counts against the 85-scholarship limit.

--- Every team needs to have 85 scholarship players when practice begins in August. The 25 number is a hard cap in each recruiting year for every team.

--- Just to reiterate, Texas can have more than 85 scholarship players this season. However, that number cannot include players who would not have been eligible under normal circumstances.

Here are a few things you need to know about the Texas roster:

--- I was told Texas defensive end Peter Mpagi is expected to medically retire due to his heart condition.

--- Longhorn running back Derrian Brown is on a medical scholarship and no longer counts against the scholarship number. That means Brown has officially given up on playing college football due to his medical condition. However, Texas is still playing for his education.

--- Notre Dame transfer Ovie Oghoufo is not listed in the numbers at this point. Although he is committed to the Longhorns, he won't officially join the program until the summer and hasn't officially been announced by the school.

--- Junior Cort Jaquez was on scholarship last year, but when we checked with school officials on Thursday, we were informed that his scholarship has not yet been renewed.

--- There are seven potential seniors using their extra year: Cade Brewer, Tope Imade, Jacoby Jones, Derek Kerstetter, Denzel Okafor, Brenden Schooler and Gabriel Watson.

--- One thing to keep in mind with regards to the scholarship accounting. The Longhorns signed only 20 prospects in the 2020 recruiting class and added two graduate transfers to the recruiting numbers (Tariq Black and Brenden Schooler), which means the Longhorns could (in theory) have room for up to three more players in the 2021 class if they slide some of the early enrollee numbers from the group that just arrived in January into the 2020 numbers for accounting purposes. We'll double-check on Friday on how the program treated the 2020 year from a scholarship bookkeeping standpoint and update you when we have an answer.

* Numbers in parenthesis are the total at each position counted towards the 85-man scholarship number.

Quarterbacks (3)

Casey Thompson, So.
Hudson Card, Fr.
Charles Wright, QB, incoming freshman

Running Backs (4)

Gabriel Watson, Super Senior
Daniel Young, Senior
Roschon Johnson, So.
Bijan Robinson, Fr.
Jonathon Brooks, RB, incoming freshman

Wide Receivers (13)

Brenden Schooler, Super Senior
Joshua Moore, R-So.
Kai Money, So.
Jake Smith, So.
Marcus Washington, So.
Al’Vonte Woodard, So.
Kennedy Lewis, R-Fr.
Jordan Whittington, R-Fr.
Kelvontay Dixon, Fr.
Dajon Harrison, Fr.
Troy Omeire, Fr.
Jaden Alexis, WR, incoming freshman
Casey Cain, WR, incoming freshman
Keithron Lee, WR, incoming freshman

Tight Ends (5)

Cade Brewer, Super Senior
Malcolm Epps, So.
Jared Wiley, So.
Brayeden Liebrock, R-Fr.
Juan Davis, TE, incoming freshman
Gunnar Helm, TE, incoming freshman

Offensive Line (11)

Top Imade, Super Senior
Derek Kerstetter, Super Senior
Denzel Okafor, Super Senior
Junior Angilau, So.
Rafiti Ghirmai, So.
Christian Jones, So.
Isaiah Hookfin, R-Fr.
Tyler Johnson, R-Fr.
Jaylen Garth, Fr.
Andrej Karic, Fr.
Jake Majors, Fr.
Logan Parr, Fr.
Hayden Conner, OL, incoming freshman
Max Merril, OL, incoming freshman

Defensive Linemen (13)

Jacoby Jones, Super Senior
Marqez Bimage, Senior
Keondre Coburn, So.
Moro Ojomo, So.
T’Vondre Sweat, So.
Myron Warren, R-Fr.
Vernon Broughton, Fr.
Alfred Collins, Fr.
Sawyer Goram-Welch, Fr.
David Abiara, incoming freshman
Byron Murphy, incoming freshman
Ja’tavion Sanders, incoming freshman
Barryn Sorrell, Incoming freshman.
Jordon Thomas, incoming freshman

Linebackers (13)

Ray Thornton, LB, graduate senior
Juwan Mitchell, Jr.
DeMarvion Overshown, Jr.
Luke Brockermeyer, So.
Jett Bush, So.
David Gbenda, R-Fr.
Prince Dorbah, Fr.
Marcus Tillman, R-Fr.
Jaylan Ford, Fr.
Jaden Hullaby, Fr.
Morice Blackwell Jr., LB, incoming freshman
Terrence Cooks II, LB, incoming freshman
Derrick Harris Jr., LB, incoming freshman

Defensive Backs (15)

Darion Dunn, DB, Sr.
Josh Thompson, R-Jr.
Anthony Cook, Jr.
Montrell Estell, Jr.
B.J. Foster, Jr.
D’Shawn Jaminson, Jr.
Chris Adimora, So.
Tyler Owens, So.
Marques Caldwell, R-Fr.
Jahdae Barron, Fr.
Kitan Crawford, Fr.
Jerrin Thompson, Fr.
JD Coffey III, DB, incoming freshman
Ishmael Ibraheem, DB, incoming freshman
Jamier Johnson, DB, incoming freshman

Special Teams (4)

Cameron Dicker, K, Jr.
Ryan Bujcevski, P, Jr.
Justin Mader, Jr., LS
Isaac Pearson, P, incoming freshman

Total: 81

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

--- Longhorn running back Derrian Brown is on a medical scholarship and no longer counts against the scholarship number. That means Brown has officially given up on playing college football due to his medical condition. However, Texas is still playing for his education.

They just can't help themselves can they. 

QB Thompson -or- Card / Wright (RS) / Lourd (RS)

RB Robinson / Johnson / Watson -or Young -or- Brooks

WR1 Whittington / Dixon / Lewis / Cain (RS)

WR2 Smith / Washington / Omeire (RS) / Lee (RS) / Harrison (RS)

WR3 Moore / Woodard / Schooler -or- Money / Alexis (RS)

TE Wiley / Brewer -or- Epps / Liebrock / Davis (RS) -or- Helm (RS)

LT Karic / Hookfin 

LG Angilau / Parr (RS) -or- Imade / Merrill (RS)

C Majors / Ghirmai 

RG Okafor -or- Johnson / Garth (RS) 

RT Jones -or- Kerstetter / Conner (RS)

Notes on offense:

Picking the right QB is job 1.  If the loser transfers they are in trouble so they need to keep both in the fold.  They probably need at least 1 grad transfer OL.  Otherwise I don't see a real weakness on this roster and they are stacked with NFL caliber talent at the skill positions.  Starting QB and OL depth will dictate the season.

DE Collins / Bimage -or- Sanders / Thomas (RS) / Abiara (RS) / Warren

DT Sweat / Broughton -or- Jones / Sorrell (RS)

DT Cobern / Ojomo / Welch (RS) / Murphy (RS)

DE/LB Dorbah / Ford -or- Oghoufu / Harris (RS) / Hullaby (RS)

LB Mitchell / Gbenda -or- Blackwell / Tillman / Brockermeyer 

LB Overshown / Thornton / Bush / Cooks

CB Jamison / Crawford / Caldwell

CB Thompson -or- Thompson / Barron 

NB Cook / Dunn / Johnson

S Foster / Owens / Coffey 

S Adimora / Ibraheem / Estell

K Dicker

P Bujcevski / Pearson

DS Mader

Defense notes: Lots of NFL talent: Collins, Sanders, Sweat, Coburn, Overshown, and most of the DBs can play on Sundays.  Replacing Ossai is the big question.  But otherwise this team has championship caliber talent, depth, and experience on defense.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

On above list some are gone or not expected back...

For example

• Reese Moore
  • Willie Tyler
  • Derrian Brown (doubtful)
  • Peter Mpagi (doubtful)

Some attrition is also expected in the WR room for sure...

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Damn, 15 WR's  ???

There are a few questions I really want answered:

1) How does Sark treat the lowest guys on the depth chart? Actively process them out or let them stay if they want to stay? I think Harrison, Cain, Lee, Alexis are all safe regardless, since they are young guys with potential. But Lewis and Money have to be on the chopping block, with Woodard and Washington right behind if they continue to get passed up by Omeire, Dixon, etc.

2) If Sark actively processes, does he do that in the Spring? It kind of makes sense for '21 recruiting to free up the WR chart, but doesn't really makes sense for the season. Might as well try to keep everyone around and then work it out next Winter. 

3) How many of them go to the NFL next year? Unlikely, but there is a world where Moore, Smith, Whittington absolutely light it up in Sark's offense and all go to the NFL after '21. 

4) How much is Sark willing to balloon the position? If only Schooler and Estell leave, would Sark still recruit 5 elite receivers? 

11 minutes ago, Askew said:

There are a few questions I really want answered:

1) How does Sark treat the lowest guys on the depth chart? Actively process them out or let them stay if they want to stay? I think Harrison, Cain, Lee, Alexis are all safe regardless, since they are young guys with potential. But Lewis and Money have to be on the chopping block, with Woodard and Washington right behind if they continue to get passed up by Omeire, Dixon, etc.

2) If Sark actively processes, does he do that in the Spring? It kind of makes sense for '21 recruiting to free up the WR chart, but doesn't really makes sense for the season. Might as well try to keep everyone around and then work it out next Winter. 

3) How many of them go to the NFL next year? Unlikely, but there is a world where Moore, Smith, Whittington absolutely light it up in Sark's offense and all go to the NFL after '21. 

4) How much is Sark willing to balloon the position? If only Schooler and Estell leave, would Sark still recruit 5 elite receivers? 

Money's a walk-on. Those scholarships don't auto-renew.