Texas Roster 2021 -- Turn This Shit Around

LTtxfan

10 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Yes. Quit on your team early in the hiring of a new staff only to realize no other major programs want you and you shouldn’t expect to return to said team. 

So he's only a real quitter if his initial quitting is unsuccessful?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Yes. Quit on your team early in the hiring of a new staff only to realize no other major programs want you and you shouldn’t expect to return to said team. 

So if Dele had been offered by USC but decided he wants to return to Texas he's no longer a quitter and should be welcomed back into the program. You really don't see how that is stupid?

The only important factor is whether or not he's good enough to contribute to Texas on the field, like I said.

Edited by UncleSonny

Just now, UncleSonny said:

So if Dele had been offered by USC but decided he wants to return to Texas he's no longer a quitter and should be welcome back into the program. You really don't see how that is stupid?

The only important factor is whether or not he's good enough to contribute to Texas on the field, like I said.

No, I personally feel if you enter the portal then don’t expect said team to allow you back regardless of circumstances. 

why as a coach and a team would you allow someone to do that? It will only create bigger issues for a coach and team going forward. 

There’s still a difference here.

If someone enters the portal and gets offered by USC, they’re obviously good enough to get offers from other programs.

If you enter the portal and you’re not good enough to get an offer from anyone and you suck.....you come back and ask to play again even though you suck, yes, yes....you’re a quitter.

Just now, DaggerHorns said:

There’s still a difference here.

If someone enters the portal and gets offered by USC, they’re obviously good enough to get offers from other programs.

If you enter the portal and you’re not good enough to get an offer from anyone and you suck.....you come back and ask to play again even though you suck, yes, yes....you’re a quitter.

This makes no sense. They both did the same thing. And if they're willing to eat crow and be useful depth then, whatever.

6 minutes ago, texifornia said:

This makes no sense. They both did the same thing. And if they're willing to eat crow and be useful depth then, whatever.

When you found out that you didn’t like mopping floors and went to find a better job, no one would hire you.

That makes you a quitter.

Just now, Machinator said:

He's back on the roster, and with his old number.

https://texassports.com/sports/football/roster

Oh good, glad he missed all of spring conditioning and learning the play book so he will be ready to go this fall! What a waste of a roster space honestly.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

4 minutes ago, DaggerHorns said:

When you found out that you didn’t like mopping floors and went to find a better job, no one would hire you.

That makes you a quitter.

But if you didn't like mopping floors and went to find a better job and someone would hire you, that doesn't? The only difference is an external perception outside of the original move.

And to be clear, I think they're both not being a quitter in the moral sense in most cases - it's a pretty standard job market at this point with some strange hoops to go through.

Edited by texifornia

The more pertinent question did he go through spring practice as a part of the team. I seem to recall he put his name in the portal before spring practice started. If he didn't go through spring drills, there is no way he's anymore than a ST player next season. I would think he realized that getting his degree from Texas would be better than a future career in football (he doesn't have one).

Just pointing out the obvious, but goddamn these coaches hated our LB depth chart.  

This is one reason why I take every “Brockermeyer has surprised” and “Gbenda looks like he could be a big contributor” from the $9.95 with a big pinch of salt.  

44 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I think at this point about 65% of the current roster has quit the team at least once. It’s not even a big deal anymore, don’t know why you’d hold it against a player.

I think at this point you might not be good at math. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, CastHorn said:

At least Dele can be a plus special teams player. I remember Herman said Dele clocked at 20MPH or more on kickoff consistently. 

Looked damn impressive running right past the return man at 20 mph. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
Let's talk Texas football Potential Plus Performers. PPP. And I'm not talking about forgivable loans.

If you read popular sports media and the early preseason Big 12 teams, you'd think Texas will be fortunate to go 3-6 in Big 12 play. Also, please stop reading Athlon. Their advertising should be: "Low information writing for the low information reader!" There are better alternatives. Like Inside Texas. And this thing. If you want to really broaden yourself, grab this.

Preseason Big 12 lists always feature some very good players, but what they typically feature are FAMILIAR players. Total starts and media name recognition. Or simple hype. The average sportswriter (or more accurately: Googling contract worker compiling material for the preseason publications for about $300) doesn't really know what good looks like on the field at the positions without the ball, prefers to be wrong together rather than be right by themselves, and they confuse gross production with efficacy and impact. Amusingly, the postseason teams often don't even adjust for the season that was just played. I've seen players who were benched in-season make postseason teams. You also run into the problem of trying to assign hierarchy to a great run stopping safety in a specific system shielded from much pass coverage vs. a strong pass covering deep safety who is mildly allergic to contact. The player must be understood within their context.

So what's Potential + Performance? Projecting the likely confluence of talent, experience, and coaching deployment of a player. For more alliteration, call it Leap Likelihood. How gifted and developed is the player? Have they seen enough football? Are they being used correctly or in a system particularly suited to their talents? A change in coaching can unleash talent as surely as a great season of S&C or simply maturity and experience.

Some of these players won't go next level. But if enough do, we'll have an enjoyable 2021.

Offense

Core PPP

Bijan Robinson
Jake Majors
Christian Jones
Junior Angilau

Bijan requires no explanation. I'm more bullish on some components of the Longhorn OL than most. They will need time to find their sea legs as a unit, but I believe all three of those listed are capable of being among the Top 10-15 OL in the league. Majors and Jones could even be special. Angilau is now sufficiently seasoned.

On The Cusp

Andrej Karic
Troy Omeire

High energy OL with great feet project well. As good a reach blocker in outside zone for his age as you'll see. He may end up as a better college player than pro prospect, but I don't care.

Troy Omeire: I believe in the hype and in the ability level, despite the injury and total inexperience.

Wildcards

Keilan Robinson
Derek Kerstetter
Jordan Whittington
Joshua Moore
Jake Smith
Kelvontay Dixon
Xavier Worthy
Ja'Tavion Sanders
Starting QB

Keilan's potentially a nice complement to Bijan and Roschon and August will tell us whether he's a depth asset or true change of pace 6-8 touch per game threat with game breaking upside. Derek Kerstetter is purely about health and reclamation of S&C losses.

If it looks like I just took a bunch of wide receivers to fill out the rest, guilty as charged. Some of these guys will be starters, some will be transfer candidates. Does Sanders have enough raw ability to carve out a role in Sark's offense as a flex TE?

Starting QB is a Rorschach test. Obviously the biggest wildcard of all.

Defense

Core PPP

Demarvion Overshown
Alfred Collins
D'shawn Jamison

Alfred needs to get healthier after a sluggish spring, but he's a NFL player. If Overshown can keep his mind on football and not chase shiny things, he's a human box score stuffer who will make up for mistakes with massive impact plays. Does Jamison being here surprise? It surprises me as well. But every PPP indicators screams impact breakout and I love his ability to bait receivers in Pete's system.

On The Cusp

Keondre Coburn
T'Vondre Sweatt
Moro Ojomo
Josh Thompson
Chris Adimora

Coburn, and to a lesser degree Sweatt, have an offseason decision to make. Do they want to be above average players who flash from time to time or dominant forces in the middle that allow Pete K to run exotics without having to pay a penalty? Conditioning will tell that tale. Ojomo has turned the corner, but I'm not sure if he's going to be great or just good in 2021. I trust and like Thompson and Adimora, but if they go next level, this could be the best secondary in the league. It's plausible.

Wildcards

Ray Thornton
Darion Dunn
Ovie Oghoufo
Jacoby Jones
Jerrin Thompson

We'll know more in August and after our first 3-4 games. Breakout edge presence is sorely needed. Sacks are good, but consistent pressures and disruption are even better. I like what I've seen of Jerrin, but not enough to put him on the cusp yet.

How do you all see it?
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Machinator said:

Keithron Lee got the boot after his arrest.

So the purge of WRs on the roster continues...

Also:  Glad TEXAS added Alabama RB Keilan Robinson -- hope he has the ability to flex out and play WR as well.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/14/2021 at 11:57 AM, LTtxfan said:

Roster numbers on Head Coaches minds at B12 Media Days...

More tweaks wanted for football roster rules

While the change to transferring has resonated for both players and coaches, it carries with it a concern that football coaches have had for a few years now.

The NCAA has limited football programs to giving out 25 scholarships per calendar year, which could become an even bigger issue if there is an increase to the transfer portal.

What is a program to do if there is a rash of transfers to couple with a large senior class departing the program that could potentially exceed the allotted total of scholarships a program is allowed to then turn around and give out?

“As we move forward, one of the things that's off-base, we can only take 25 scholarships. That has to change, whether it's the basketball rule where you can have 25 or and if you lose one you can add another one,” TCU coach Gary Patterson said.

“The biggest thing is roster management. How do we manage our roster?”

It’s a sentiment Oklahoma State football coach Mike Gundy shares. Gundy has previously addressed the need for adjusting the 25-scholarship rule since its inception in 2018.

He linked the need for change to the transfer portal, which now could grow with the change now given to athletes to transfer with no penalty for having to sit out.

“… I think the majority of it is dangerous unless the NCAA changes the opportunity for coaches to manage roster numbers,” Gundy said in 2019.

https://www.muskogeephoenix.com/sports/big-12-media-days-mixed-reaction-from-coaches-in-regard-to-changes-to-transfer-rules/article_b3791268-e4f9-11eb-a927-4ba7dbd3c267.html

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for this @Elmer_Fudd

Looks like roster has been updated, few notes:

Sanders listed at 256 lbs. 

Brooks 199 lbs.

Dorbah 234 lbs.

Broughton 306 lbs.

Jordon Thomas 273 lbs.

Majors 310 lbs.

Imade 361 lbs.

Garth 309 lbs.

Sweat 335 lbs. 

Thx for this @Fud 

Some other interesting ones, assuming they're accurate 

Adimora- 204

Whittington- 203

Casey Thompson- 192

Wiley- 251

Lourd- 228

Omeire- 220

Foster- 199

Owens- 203

Kerstetter- 310

Christian Jones- 310

Brewer- 243

Coburn- 346 

Edited by LTtxfan

• 4 weeks later...

DEPTH CHART FOR LOUISIANA GAME  - SEPT 4TH, 2021

E-EIq_BXEAIjwV9?format=jpg&name=medium

E-EIq_BXsAEdHI3?format=jpg&name=medium

E-EIq_mXsAIUm7Y?format=jpg&name=small

Takeaways from the Texas depth chart for Louisiana

Joe Cook  (Inside Texas)

The Texas Longhorns released their depth chart for the 2021 season-opening game versus the Louisiana Ragin’ Cajuns. Most of what the program officially released lines up with what Inside Texas’ Eric Nahlin projected on Monday.

Steve Sarkisian spoke about quarterback plenty after officially naming Hudson Card the starting quarterback, but a few more positions have some intriguing combinations.

-Sarkisian named Card the starting quarterback but also mentioned Casey Thompson would play on Saturday against the Ragin’ Cajuns. He also gave the impression that his decision was not a season-long one, but one he’ll take game-by-game.

“Casey will play in the game, then we’ll continue to evaluate from there but that’s the direction we’re going in this weekend,” Sarkisian said at his Monday press conference.

He would later say: “It was a tough call, but I think in general you try to make the best decision for the program at that time. Again, that’s why I think Casey’s going to play in this game. We’ll re-evaluate after one game. Neither guy has ever started a game in their career, so we’ll look at it after one week.”

-The offensive line goes Christian Jones – Denzel Okafor – Jake Majors – Junior Angilau – Derek Kerstetter. Andrej Karic is listed as the backup left tackle. In trying to round out a group of eight linemen behind the top five, Kyle Flood likely has Karic as the next tackle, Tope Imade as the next guard, and true freshman Hayden Conner then available for a swing role.

-There are 76 combined starts among the top five offensive linemen.

-Small interesting note at tight end with second-stringer Jared Wiley sharing an “OR” with Gunnar Helm. Texas will use two tight ends frequently this season, meaning Helm should get opportunities to play.

-Wide receiver had no additional designation to note which role it was for on the depth chart, be it X or H or Z. Troy Omeire, listed third on the depth chart, is out for the season opener.

-While the strongside edge role is labeled as “JACK” on the depth chart, the weakside edge role is labeled as “BUCK.” The position Inside Texas identified as X is the same as BUCK.

-JACK offers a wide range of body types. Starting is 6-foot-4, 255-pound Jacoby Jones. Behind him is 6-foot-5, 302-pound Alfred Collins, who could also see playing time on the interior. Third string is 6-foot-2, 236-pound Jett Bush, who has also practiced at fullback. He’s also sporting No. 43 as his previous No. 52 rendered him ineligible to catch a pass.

-QB1 Hudson Card is also H1 Hudson Card, the H being short for holder.

-Cameron Dicker will have kickoff, field goal, and punting duties. Ryan Bujcevski, the senior recovering from an ACL tear, is listed third behind Dicker and Australian freshman Isaac Pearson.

-Every starter in the secondary is a senior. The only freshman in the two-deep is JD Coffey at free safety. Jerrin Thompson finds himself as the backup free safety and STAR, or nickel. Chris Adimora is the third nickel and second boundary safety behind BJ Foster.

-D’Shawn Jamison and Roschon Johnson get the nod at the two kickoff returner spots, with Jamison in the featured role. Jamison will also return punts.

• 4 weeks later...