2021 Texas Offseason: Sark Attacks Austin

texifornia

Uh, Mr. Raulerson, do you remember when you started at Right Tackle against Arkansas in that bowl game and we only had 57 yards in total offense?
16205255.jpg
That wasn't very awesome.
I was there. Pretty sure the stadium screen said 59 yards total offense.

Why you gotta be so negative?
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, JPETERMAN said:

As much as I hate the perception (and reality) that our donors have too much input into the program, the blowback on hiring Stoops cannot be understated.

Stoops would have sucked the momentum right out of the building, that was one time when the influence was a huge positive. 

• Hook 'Em 4

12 hours ago, markstanco said:

I was there. Pretty sure the stadium screen said 59 yards total offense.

Why you gotta be so negative?

I'm guessing someone took 5 yards off our one and only scoring drive, namely the all-too-frequent false-start/delay penalties we got on the first play of a new possession. We had run back a kick to the Arkie 44, got penalized 5 yards first snap, so that the real first snap was from the 49, and our one and only scoring drive covered 49 yards. The whole rest of the game we made ten yards. Ten. Fucking. Yards.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

I'm guessing someone took 5 yards off our one and only scoring drive, namely the all-too-frequent false-start/delay penalties we got on the first play of a new possession. We had run back a kick to the Arkie 44, got penalized 5 yards first snap, so that the real first snap was from the 49, and our one and only scoring drive covered 49 yards. The whole rest of the game we made ten yards. Ten. Fucking. Yards.

To be fair, that is a first down. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JPETERMAN said:

As much as I hate the perception (and reality) that our donors have too much input into the program, the blowback on hiring Stoops cannot be understated.

It was all worth it for the image of Stoops going to sleep thinking he had a sweet gig at UT all lined up and waking up to the phone call that actually he is such a dickhead the entire fanbase mobilized to kill it in a matter of hours. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

Yikes

Eagles going undrafted is one of the program’s worst development jobs to date...they should have taught him how to defeat press coverage in his first offseason.

Edited by Nope
  • Rage+1 1

IT

Spoiler

— McKnight vs Becton

With Joseph Ossai, Sam Cosmi, and Caden Sterns all posting good to great testing numbers, we thought we‘d get a bird’s eye view between previous strength and conditioning coach, Yancy McKnight, and his replacement, Torre Becton.

Per our sources throughout the years and also again in the last 24 hours, McKnight preferred size and power. Becton emphasizes speed and mobility more. McKnight was in the drill sergeant vein, Torre is more positive and treats them like the professionals they ask the players to be. Some players really liked McKnight, while others clashed with his style. Over time his personality wore more and more players thin. Lack of winning didn’t help. The players felt McKnight had mostly good intentions, but at this level, mind games and motivational tricks aren't always required. For a time, he was well liked because players were seeing improvement. Becton is getting favorable reviews so far, but coaches are still in the honeymoon stage.

One source said after Sam Cosmi's 36 bounce reps on bench at Pro Day, "you probably won't see that again with the new strength and conditioning staff."

McKnight, like Herman, moved the program forward and left it in a good place for the new staff to fine tune it.

— The team is practicing now before being released for spring break. We hope to have a bit more on team either today or Monday at the latest.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Machinator said:

IT

Hide contents

— McKnight vs Becton

With Joseph Ossai, Sam Cosmi, and Caden Sterns all posting good to great testing numbers, we thought we‘d get a bird’s eye view between previous strength and conditioning coach, Yancy McKnight, and his replacement, Torre Becton.

Per our sources throughout the years and also again in the last 24 hours, McKnight preferred size and power. Becton emphasizes speed and mobility more. McKnight was in the drill sergeant vein, Torre is more positive and treats them like the professionals they ask the players to be. Some players really liked McKnight, while others clashed with his style. Over time his personality wore more and more players thin. Lack of winning didn’t help. The players felt McKnight had mostly good intentions, but at this level, mind games and motivational tricks aren't always required. For a time, he was well liked because players were seeing improvement. Becton is getting favorable reviews so far, but coaches are still in the honeymoon stage.

One source said after Sam Cosmi's 36 bounce reps on bench at Pro Day, "you probably won't see that again with the new strength and conditioning staff."

McKnight, like Herman, moved the program forward and left it in a good place for the new staff to fine tune it.

— The team is practicing now before being released for spring break. We hope to have a bit more on team either today or Monday at the latest.

I have a hard time believing that Becton is going to forsake heavy lifting for the linemen. Adding in agility and mobility isn't a bad thing, but it's not like we are going to be fielding a bunch of 225lb linemen who can't bench 300 lbs. Last I checked, Bama's line was decent at moving people around and Becton is going to get his marching orders from Flood on how he wants that group developed. 

11 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I have a hard time believing that Becton is going to forsake heavy lifting for the linemen. Adding in agility and mobility isn't a bad thing, but it's not like we are going to be fielding a bunch of 225lb linemen who can't bench 300 lbs. Last I checked, Bama's line was decent at moving people around and Becton is going to get his marching orders from Flood on how he wants that group developed. 

If Becton is doing workouts with ridiculously high reps (sets of 24 and that kind of stupid shit) like Bennie Wylie did, I'll call him a dumbass, too.

3 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

If Becton is doing workouts with ridiculously high reps (sets of 24 and that kind of stupid shit) like Bennie Wylie did, I'll call him a dumbass, too.

He seems to be doing okay at Oklahoma. 

I think vertigo is right. That the position groups will have different expectations and training and not all or nothing type of mentality. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

2 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

We obsess too much over S&C.  I mean it's obviously important, but I don't think they have the power to make or break a program.  

Incorrect.

We have seen poor S&C. It's usually just another burning piece of trash in a dumpster fire, but teams that get pushed around or that have dead legs in the 4th quarter lose football games.

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I’m not sure how you got that from the article. All they were saying is heavy lifting won’t be Becton’s sole focus like it was with McKnight, so a guy putting up 36 reps of 225, which is absolutely insane, is less likely to happen. 
It’s obvious McKnight over-bulked some of our players, especially skill guys and DBs to the point they noticeably lost speed/mobility. 

• Hook 'Em 6

3 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Incorrect.

We have seen poor S&C. It's usually just another burning piece of trash in a dumpster fire, but teams that get pushed around or that have dead legs in the 4th quarter lose football games.

Not to say it's not important or that anyone can do their job, but the above poster used Wylie as a great example.  OU is dominating the conference with him as SC coach, but he was the major detriment for our program?  My point is that S&C is down on the list for a reason a program is successful / unsuccessful.  

We obsess too much over S&C.  I mean it's obviously important, but I don't think they have the power to make or break a program.  The reason we probably won't see Sam Cosmi numbers is because he tested well across the board (both strength and agility) he's an elite level athlete.

So....you don't expect us to field elite level athletes?

alonzomorning.gif

1 hour ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Not to say it's not important or that anyone can do their job, but the above poster used Wylie as a great example.  OU is dominating the conference with him as SC coach, but he was the major detriment for our program?  My point is that S&C is down on the list for a reason a program is successful / unsuccessful.  

I am the above poster. I know what Wylie was doing here. I don't know what he is doing at OU, but his whole philosophy is bad. 

We have sucked for years. Coaching is the primary blame for us, and S&C is just one item on our list.

OU isn't beating other teams because of their great S&C program. The Big 12 has rolled over for them almost since its inception, regardless of S&C coaches. OU also isn't winning any games that actually matter.  They've looked like children in the playoffs. They've been humiliated by teams that DO have good S&C programs and that take care of all the small details.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

I’m not sure how you got that from the article. All they were saying is heavy lifting won’t be Becton’s sole focus like it was with McKnight, so a guy putting up 36 reps of 225, which is absolutely insane, is less likely to happen. 
It’s obvious McKnight over-bulked some of our players, especially skill guys and DBs to the point they noticeably lost speed/mobility. 

It was an exceedingly poor example for IT to make though. "Bounce Reps" from a guy trying to crank out as many reps as he can to up his NFL draft stock isn't necessarily indicative of McKnight's methods. I've already grown weary of the McKnight was too much of a hard ass narrative from the 995ers. Not that there isn't a difference in the two, but the narrative has already grown old. Totally agree with your assessment about over-bulking skill players but I also wonder if some of the players might have partially been responsible for that on their own. Some examples that come to mind are Jordan Whittington with his body building brother as a possible bad influence and Kirk Johnson who posted vids of his bicep pumping.

Edited by sith_horn

1 hour ago, Snacks said:

So....you don't expect us to field elite level athletes?

alonzomorning.gif

I meant elite of the elite athletically speaking.  Cosmi's numbers weren't just good but pretty much put him on par with some of the most gifted (athletically) OL in some time.  No, I don't expect us to consistently field generational athletic freaks.

4 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I meant elite of the elite athletically speaking.  Cosmi's numbers weren't just good but pretty much put him on par with some of the most gifted (athletically) OL in some time.  No, I don't expect us to consistently field generational athletic freaks.

Cosmi wasn't on anyone's radar as a generational athletic freak coming out of HS:

image.thumb.png.f7a86a11059a01952309e8c3bb1d7468.png

It's hard to say if that was just a missed evaluation from the beginning or if Yancy's program gets credit for adding the weight/strength he needed to become an NFL draft prospect while still retaining his athleticism. Sam certainly gets a lot of the credit himself for busting his ass. 

It's probably all somewhere in the middle. Some guys like Cosmi were really well served by Yancy while other guys (Ingram, Jake Smith, Sweat) probably develop better athletically in a different strength program. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, UncleSonny said:

Cosmi wasn't on anyone's radar as a generational athletic freak coming out of HS:

image.thumb.png.f7a86a11059a01952309e8c3bb1d7468.png

It's hard to say if that was just a missed evaluation from the beginning or if Yancy's program gets credit for adding the weight/strength he needed to become an NFL draft prospect while still retaining his athleticism. Sam certainly gets a lot of the credit himself for busting his ass. 

It's probably all somewhere in the middle. Some guys like Cosmi were really well served by Yancy while other guys (Ingram, Jake Smith, Sweat) probably develop better athletically in a different strength program. 

Agree a lot of factors at play there.  Especially determining what someone going to do after adding 50lbs, and elite athleticism doesn't always mean elite football player.  I have no idea how Sam tested at the camps in HS, or if he even did.  

14 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Agree a lot of factors at play there.  Especially determining what someone going to do after adding 50lbs, and elite athleticism doesn't always mean elite football player.  I have no idea how Sam tested at the camps in HS, or if he even did.  

He was injured most of his senior year, so he was a bit of an unknown unless you talked to the Atascocita coaches.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sith_horn said:

It was an exceedingly poor example for IT to make though. "Bounce Reps" from a guy trying to crank out as many reps as he can to up his NFL draft stock isn't necessarily indicative of McKnight's methods. I've already grown weary of the McKnight was too much of a hard ass narrative from the 995ers. Not that there isn't a difference in the two, but the narrative has already grown old. Totally agree with your assessment about over-bulking skill players but I also wonder if some of the players might have partially been responsible for that on their own. Some examples that come to mind are Jordan Whittington with his body building brother as a possible bad influence and Kirk Johnson who posted vids of his bicep pumping.

Whittington is due to his own issues, but guys like Smith, Ingram, and  Adimora all got way too big for their positions and lost effectiveness. It was a pretty consistent trend under Yancy. 

11 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Steroids are cheaper in Norman

18 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

So you guys have all actually taken the bait again and let this thread devolve into another discussion about the old S&C guy versus the new S&C guy? At first, I thought I was reading a bit. Nope, just normally okay posters being absolute dipshits. 

It's different this time, CTJ.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

So you guys have all actually taken the bait again and let this thread devolve into another discussion about the old S&C guy versus the new S&C guy? At first, I thought I was reading a bit. Nope, just normally okay posters being absolute dipshits. 

Not much difference than discussing the old coaches vs the new. It’s a valid discussion. 

22 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

I am the above poster. I know what Wylie was doing here. I don't know what he is doing at OU, but his whole philosophy is bad. 

We have sucked for years. Coaching is the primary blame for us, and S&C is just one item on our list.

OU isn't beating other teams because of their great S&C program. The Big 12 has rolled over for them almost since its inception, regardless of S&C coaches. OU also isn't winning any games that actually matter.  They've looked like children in the playoffs. They've been humiliated by teams that DO have good S&C programs and that take care of all the small details.

Exactly. It's not hard to cruise through the Big12 when Texas has been self-sabotaging for the past decade. Having an overachieving Baylor or ISU as the only challengers, a guy like Lincoln Riley can easily limp his way to the playoff only get skullfucked by Alabama or 2019 LSU. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

I’m guessing that’s first team offense going through install. 

I could live with that starting lineup with J. Whit being the most likely next receiver up. 

Gotta see if Troy comes back without losing athleticism and if he looked good in fall camp cause he is real or because our DBs were suspect last year. 

Edited by FreeHorn

1 minute ago, FreeHorn said:

I’m guessing that’s first team offense going through install. 

I could live with that starting lineup with J. Whit being the most likely next receiver up. 

Gotta see if Troy comes back without losing athleticism and if he looked good in fall camp cause he is real or because or DBs were suspect last year. 

Thompson-Bijan-Wiley-TO-J Moore-J Smith

That who you had?

2 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

Thompson-Bijan-Wiley-TO-J Moore-J Smith

That who you had?

Yes Sir. 

Wiley was enough to make me happy. Cade Brewer is definitely going pro in something other than football. 

I’m sure things could change after spring ball but I would like this lineup, especially if we move Moore inside to help him versus the press. 

11 minutes ago, FreeHorn said:

I was really high on Washington coming out of high school. I’m guess it’s now or never for him to show up and start making an impact. 

Forgot about him.  Yeah I'd put him at #6/somewhere in the 2nd unit.  It's probably now or never for guys like him,  Woodard and maybe Lewis.