Abolish the filibuster!

Hugo Stiglitz

It's wild to hear the reporting on Biden's political perspective since the pandemic started. Before covid it was all "nothing is going to fundamentally change," now he seems to really want to be like FDR. His entire concept of what's politically possible has done a complete 180. Obviously part of that is because events have forced a shift, but I never would have predicted we'd see anything like what he's showing.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, 406W30th said:

That article feels a bit like red meat and I don't want to get my hopes up, but this was certainly encouraging:

I think he likes the FDR and LBJ comparisons.  

52 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

It's wild to hear the reporting on Biden's political perspective since the pandemic started. Before covid it was all "nothing is going to fundamentally change," now he seems to really want to be like FDR. His entire concept of what's politically possible has done a complete 180. Obviously part of that is because events have forced a shift, but I never would have predicted we'd see anything like what he's showing.

The Georgia senate runoffs flipping the senate changed everything. That along with the insurrection. The time to act is now. 

2 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

I'm pretty pleasantly surprised. He's not going to knock out every item on the far left's "do all of this or it's tantrum time" list, but he's going to end up having done a lot of things that I think most realistic people would not have expected. Seeing him actually advocate things like removing cap gains tax loopholes for the rich is almost shocking for me. He's a corporatist for sure, but he seems to actually be at least aware of modern issues like income inequality, clean energy, etc. He's governing to the left of what I expected. And he's doing it in a way that's making him hard to attack from the right, because he's doing stuff that everybody wants.

Edited by BradInATX

9 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

I'm pretty pleasantly surprised. He's not going to knock out every item on the far left's "do all of this or it's tantrum time" list

Can you give an example of whatever this is supposed to mean? The farthest left you'll get in Congress is AOC and Bernie. Can you give any example of them throwing a fit for not getting their way? 

What are you even talking about?

So petty and small.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Can you give an example of whatever this is supposed to mean? The farthest left you'll get in Congress is AOC and Bernie. Can you give any example of them throwing a fit for not getting their way? 

So petty and small.

I think he means people online who will probably gripe about Biden because he will likely not be going far enough left, like you. But I don't want to put words in his mouth.

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

So petty and small.

Not so much politicians as message board posters who throw hissy fits when Biden hasn't implemented the entire progressive agenda in his first 30 days as president.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, BradInATX said:

Not so much politicians as message board posters who throw hissy fits when Biden hasn't implemented the entire progressive agenda in his first 30 days as president.

Oh cool the usual vague personal online grievance horseshit

awesome

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The Charlie Brown caucus 

The Go Fuck Yourself Caucus. Probably has 4-6 GOP members who all voted against COVID bill.

Remember when Collins literally LOLed at the idea of tax increases on the uber-rich to pay for infrastructure? 

This is nothing more than "if Dems nuke the filibuster, we will be obsolete" and the the Collins and Murkowskis cannot stand not being the center of the political world when their vote is no longer needed. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

They are going to wind up passing landmark legislation. They learned from the Obama years. It's great news for America.

A big problem with beginning the touchdown dance on the 30 yard line is that it either passively saps the energy behind pressure to accomplish the necessary tasks or becomes outright hostile towards any pressure.

It's like announcing to the world on Facebook, "I'm starting vegan next week and I'm going to lose 30 pounds and exercise an hour a day on the Peloton I just bought!" - You get 70% of the seratonin high from fantasizing and visualizing and then the diet crashes immediately and the Peloton gathers laundry.

The attitude aimed at our elected officials should always be, "I see all the carefully leaked propaganda to friendly media attempting to make me think you've basically already accomplished what we need, but I'm going to need actual filings and actual movement on actual legislation."

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, bad_teammate said:

A big problem with beginning the touchdown dance on the 30 yard line is that it either passively saps the energy behind pressure to accomplish the necessary tasks or becomes outright hostile towards any pressure.

It's like announcing to the world on Facebook, "I'm starting vegan next week and I'm going to lose 30 pounds and exercise an hour a day on the Peloton I just bought!" - You get 70% of the seratonin high from fantasizing and visualizing and then the diet crashes immediately and the Peloton gathers laundry.

The attitude aimed at our elected officials should always be, "I see all the carefully leaked propaganda to friendly media attempting to make me think you've basically already accomplished what we need, but I'm going to need actual filings and actual movement on actual legislation."

It's all out there. There are filings and actual movement on legislation.

Just make it a talking filibuster.  The GOP will of course be horses asses, but it's a lot different to hit a button and be a horse's ass.  It's quite another to stand up and show yourself to be a horses ass hour after hour, day after day...

The old argument was that the filibuster, ground all Senate business to a halt.  Hell McConnell has done that for 6 years.  No need for a filibuster, no need to working about working on fucking anything, just an occasional vote allowed by King McConnell... So let the dolts talk, and let the whole country watch the dolts talk, stall and obstruct.

The main thing is pass real voting rights.  IF you do that it will be a long time before the GOP holds all three branches of government again, unless they can shed their racist and anti-democratic tendencies.  

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

I've said it before, but I'll say it again--Biden's great political talent that has always been unappreciated is that he is able always to be in the dead middle of the Democratic Party.  He shifts around, but somehow never gets pegged as flip-flopping.

The fact is that the center of the Party has wildly shifted just in the last 12 months.  Perhaps watching the party opposite stage an insurrection will do that.  But whatever the reason, a the center of the Party in late 2019 probably didn't want fundamental change.  Now, it definitely does.

I voted for Joe Biden in the primary, but when I did so I didn't expect him to be a transformational president.  I was fine with that.  But a lot of shit has happened since Super Tuesday 2020.  And now I'm very happy with the prospect of Joe Biden being a transformational president.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Yeah, the experiment is running.

What I genuinely do not understand is this desire to scold people for not just assuming that this is all going to happen. Can you explain that?

Who is scolding? You are, if such a thing exists, the simultaneous bellwether, canary in the coalmine, and warning alarm for all things progressive albeit more excitable than @washparkhorn. It wouldn't be your nature, IMO, if you didn't critique the current WH for anything you consider less than ultra-progressive.

My mantra for the time being is the proof is in the pudding, I would like more reforms of which this is one, Warren has been making noise in her area, but if that's all she does then I will be extremely put out. Same with the rest of them. Talk is cheap so cut to the essentials, keep moving forward, get the particulars right, lord knows you have loads of people of whom to ask questions. Get it done, with concentrated haste but get it done right.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Aside from them, has any president gotten anything positive done in this country?  

George Washington massacred a bunch of Hessians on the day after Christmas, and he wasn't even president yet. But real self-starters don't get hung up on technicalities.

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Aside from them, has any president gotten anything positive done in this country?  

Teddy saved some of our best land and created our national park system. That's all I got. Oh, and Lincoln.

Edited by USMCHorn
  • Hook 'Em 4

11 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Chester Arthur signed the Pendleton Act which was designed to eliminate the grace and favor hirings in the government and replaced with merit based qualifications, but sadly that's been tarnished over the years.

Health insurance premiums rose by 7.9% and 8.2% for single and family coverage respectively in the 10 years before Obamacare. Since then, the average annual rate of increase was 4.0% for single coverage and 4.6% for family coverage. 

The ACA has reduced the number of uninsured people to historically low levels and helped more people access health care services, especially low-income people and people of color..

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Satchel said:

Health insurance premiums rose by 7.9% and 8.2% for single and family coverage respectively in the 10 years before Obamacare. Since then, the average annual rate of increase was 4.0% for single coverage and 4.6% for family coverage. 

The ACA has reduced the number of uninsured people to historically low levels and helped more people access health care services, especially low-income people and people of color..

• Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, DonkeyCigars said:

FDR did positive things?

He literally saved capitalism in America.  That's no shit.  If you look at the mid-1930's, Bolshevism and Fascism were the "it" ideologies.  Capitalism was very much out of vogue, and you had a lot of Americans (including people like Henry Ford and Charles Lindburgh) willing to scrap it in favor of a fascist economic structure.

The New Deal was centered around capitalism and brought capitalism back into favor.  Without it, it's very likely that capitalism would've succumbed in America just as it did in Germany and elsewhere.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

I think after watching sitting United States senators and congresspersons openly try to stop him from being president, it changed the course of how his administration operates. One could say the Death Cult F’d around on January 6th and they have been finding out ever since. The real downhill running starts in the next couple of months I believe when it will just be the Death Cult sitting on the sideline watching bill after bill after bill passed by people who actually enjoy helping others in this country. That nationwide voting rights act is not the final nail, but it’s a big one and will forever alter politics in America.

Edited by UpperWestside
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

I think after watching sitting United States senators and congresspersons openly try to stop him from being president, it changed the course of how his administration operates. One could say the Death Cult F’d around on January 6th and they have been finding out ever since. 

You're damn right. 

3 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

He literally saved capitalism in America.  That's no shit.  If you look at the mid-1930's, Bolshevism and Fascism were the "it" ideologies.  Capitalism was very much out of vogue, and you had a lot of Americans (including people like Henry Ford and Charles Lindburgh) willing to scrap it in favor of a fascist economic structure.

The New Deal was centered around capitalism and brought capitalism back into favor.  Without it, it's very likely that capitalism would've succumbed in America just as it did in Germany and elsewhere.

That's interesting context I've never heard. I'll do some googling, but if you have a bookmarked source you got this from, that would be great.

And to JS1's teary, mascara-stained troll accusation (every accusation is a confession, my bad on taking the bait), it's pretty widely known and held that FDR arguably prolonged a recession and absolutely created a welfare state.