2021 MLB Thread

LTtxfan

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Wow, on paper---that's maybe the best 5-man rotation of the last couple decades, with some serious left-handed firepower.  He'll only be 24 for most of this next season, but if he can just carry 150-175 innings, Urias would be an incredibly lethal #5 starter.  And Buehler continues on his growth trajectory, he's probably the best #4 starter in baseball.  And of course probably the best 1-2-3 in Kershaw-Bauer-Price.  Wow.  I haven't been following the off-season, but if you're in the National League, you're about to get fucked. 

40 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Wow, on paper---that's maybe the best 5-man rotation of the last couple decades, with some serious left-handed firepower.  He'll only be 24 for most of this next season, but if he can just carry 150-175 innings, Urias would be an incredibly lethal #5 starter.  And Buehler continues on his growth trajectory, he's probably the best #4 starter in baseball.  And of course probably the best 1-2-3 in Kershaw-Bauer-Price.  Wow.  I haven't been following the off-season, but if you're in the National League, you're about to get fucked. 

Are you getting names mixed up in your post?  Buehler is the #1. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Yeah, I think I mixed up Bauer and Buehler (anyone?  anyone?  lotta e's, lotta u's, lotta what have you's)  and then just threw up the 1-2-3 in no particular order.  Anyway, it's a filthy good rotation if even 4 of those guys can at least hurl 175 innings each.  50th anniversary of the 4x20 Orioles, no pressure.  

15 hours ago, WBT said:

I guess the one-year contracts and starting every 4th day were just bullshit huh?  Color me shocked.

There are player opt outs after both year 1 and 2 so it is essentially a series of 1 year contracts. But with injury guarantees. Great deal for Bauer

19 hours ago, C-Man said:

Just saw this. Wow!

I remember when he was the face of the coverage on ESPN of the Balco investigation and Barry Bonds treated him like trash. Gomez took it in stride, but I always felt bad for him because he seemed like a genuinely good human being. It does appear that Bonds came to trust him though so there is some redeeming quality for Bonds. I read about his son playing college baseball and now he's in the Red Sox system, which is a pretty cool way for his legacy to continue on through his son. RIP to above all else a good human being who happened to cover the sport he loved.

Edited by UpperWestside
  • Hook 'Em 1

New balls. 

Major League Baseball will alter the baseball slightly in 2021, though changes to the ball will be subtle.

According to the Associated Press, a memo sent to all 30 clubs last week cited an independent lab that found the new balls will fly one to two feet shorter on balls hit over 375 feet.

After the league saw a record 6,776 homers hit in 2019 (the last 162-game season that was played), the home run rate fell from 6.6% of plate appearances in '19 to 6.5% during the pandemic-shortened '20 campaign.

Following the 2019 season, a committee of scientists commissioned by MLB came to the determination that the baseballs had less drag on average than in previous seasons, one of the reasons for the boost in home runs. The key to the boom? Inconsistencies in seam height.

MLB’s balls are hand-sewn by workers at the Rawlings factory in Costa Rica, which can result in minor deviations in production. The league requires all baseballs to have a coefficient of restitution (COR) -- in simple terms, the bounciness of the ball -- ranging from .530 to .570, but the average COR had trended toward the top of that range in recent years.

Rawlings has loosened the tension on the first of three wool windings within the ball. The company’s research believes this adjustment will bring the COR down slightly, while also lessening the ball’s weight by 2.8 grams without changing its size. According to the AP, MLB does not anticipate the weight change to impact pitchers’ velocity.

MLB’s memo did not mention anything about the drag of the new balls.

The AP also reported that the number of teams using humidors to store baseballs will double from five to 10 this season, keeping the balls in humidity-controlled storage areas. The Rockies, D-backs, Mariners, Mets and Red Sox already have humidors in their respective ballparks.

11 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

The AP also reported that the number of teams using humidors to store baseballs will double from five to 10 this season, keeping the balls in humidity-controlled storage areas. The Rockies, D-backs, Mariners, Mets and Red Sox already have humidors in their respective ballparks.

I wonder what the logic is there?  Obviously Colorado started it and I knew Arizona was doing it, also to offset the altitude.  It's interesting that's it's spread so widely.  It seems like a lot of teams aren't on board with MLB's fucking around juicing the ball so much.

4 hours ago, Jshep34 said:

Somewhere that dbag ball hawk hample is having wet dreams about new baseballs.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I sat by that guy at Yankee Stadium during Game 4 of the Cleveland series in 2017. This was one night after he got upset at Aaron Judge for robbing a would be game-tying homer the night before. There’s pictures I believe of the look on his face of Judge taking the ball from him. I will say that he was fairly in unenjoyable to sit by because he would not get off of YouTube and just watch the game. He was doing play-by-play on there for whatever reason.

• Like 1

I sat by that guy at Yankee Stadium during Game 4 of the Cleveland series in 2017. This was one night after he got upset at Aaron Judge for robbing a would be game-tying homer the night before. There’s pictures I believe of the look on his face of Judge taking the ball from him. I will say that he was fairly in unenjoyable to sit by because he would not get off of YouTube and just watch the game. He was doing play-by-play on there for whatever reason.
We have ran into a few times in Houston. He has tried to sneak in with season ticket holders. Had to hold back a fan from wanting to fight him over hample knocking people down for a ball.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk