Texas basketball '21-'22: Welcome Chris Beard

Posted (edited)
On 6/2/2021 at 9:11 PM, Blotto said:

alright, that post about hill sent me down a horns hoops rabbit hole. Hill basically didn't play at all until the 95-96 season ( 117 mins in first 3 yrs). He was the definition of a scrub. Here's that teams stats: 

image.thumb.png.2b97fa8aeaa99bdb063cf53f54bb8d10.png

Not a lot of NBA minutes on our roster. So Penders takes a squad with Hill as his 3rd leading scorer and minutes played guy, and still manages to make the second round of the tourney, losing to Duncan's 9th ranked (#2 seed)  Wake Forest team 65-62.  I vaguely remember watching that wake game at HiTops in Wrigleyville (great bar back in the day), and we had our chances. Holy hell, Shaka was a no coaching bum.

Man, we led that Wake game almost the entire way and faded at the end. Sonny Alvarado missed a point blank putback at a critical moment in that game, an event which caused me to fire my remote against the couch as hard as I could. Somehow, geometry and karma conspired to send said remote directly back into my right eye. Good times…

That was the last of three straight tournament losses to teams with big men who went #1 (Duncan and Joe Smith) and #5 (Juwan Howard) overall in the NBA draft. A guy like James Thomas on one of those post-BMW Penders teams would have put us in the sweet 16 two of those years…

Edited by Ignatius
  • Hook 'Em 2
2 hours ago, Pancho said:

Shaka had something similar but his camp focused on mental/spiritual I believe. This is more of what I want to see.

yeah these are actual workouts that a basketball team will typically do, just super early and outdoors. shaka had our guys dunking themselves in ice baths and inflating watercrafts to improve team building. Shaka is way more Tony Robbins than he is Tony Bennett.

• Hook 'Em 1
34 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

So, remember:  clear eyes, full heart, don’t trust Chris Plonsky with meaningful responsibilities, can’t lose.

That’s Jodi Conradt talking to the team. She might know a few things about winning a national championship in basketball. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1
7 minutes ago, Herminator said:

That’s Jodi Conradt talking to the team. She might know a few things about winning a national championship in basketball. 

Giving them guidance on how to become elite.

When to chase p*ssy and when to focus on hoops.

Nice to see cross-coaching. I so want us to be good this year. I'm sick of us being horrible after New Year's except for an NIT or a 2-win conference tournament title.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

I don't really understand the argument based on "roster wise" in reference to Gerry Hamilton. 

Are we talking playing time? Because that argument doesn't make much sense to me. Texas doesn't have a 5 on the roster although guys like Bishop and Disu can play the position. Also, Leonard Hamilton is known for playing a deep bench and playing a bunch of guys. Nobody averaged more than 28 minutes a game last season for FSU. 

Edited by texasstrong12
2 hours ago, cdain3 said:

We'll see.

53 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Mitchell committed to Texas.

Jesus, we're loaded. 

38 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886pa6t240w83hxig4o91

44 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Randy Marsh GIF by memecandy

24 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Hey Gerry!