hayden_horn

DACA, immigration reform whatever

Business Insider picked up the story. They didn't add much in the way of new reporting. We're still largely going on the one nurse's whistleblower complaint. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/whistleblower-alleges-mass-hysterectomies-at-ice-detention-center-2020-9

NBC News also picked up on it and spoke with several lawyers whose clients corroborated the story. It's an outrageous accusation so I'm going to want a whole lot more evidence. It wouldn't surprise me if true but I'm not rushing to judgment. I don't know if this qualifies as the story "gaining legs" or anything. It is what it is. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/nurse-questions-medical-care-operations-detainees-immigration-jail-georgia-n1240110

This is wild shit. I really hope it’s not true. 
That said, can you imagine if Dotard were just the R nominee and this happened to a democratic president right before the first debate?  100% chance he would bring it up on the debate stage. 100%. 

19 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

This is wild shit. I really hope it’s not true. 
That said, can you imagine if Dotard were just the R nominee and this happened to a democratic president right before the first debate?  100% chance he would bring it up on the debate stage. 100%. 

No one wants it to be true. It’s overwhelmingly sad that it is even possibly true. That being said. If there was the slightest possibility that this was not a lone doctor doing this for money or whatever his reason, it is now because everyone else just took about eight steps back and left him alone. 

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

No one wants it to be true. It’s overwhelmingly sad that it is even possibly true. That being said. If there was the slightest possibility that this was not a lone doctor doing this for money or whatever his reason, it is now because everyone else just took about eight steps back and left him alone. 

Regardless, I guarantee you that there is lots of abuse of immigrants in these facilities.  This is, hopefully, and if true, the most egregious of the abuses.  But given the utter lack of oversight and the vulnerable population with little access to attorneys and with no family to intervene, the trump administration has set the stage for abuse after abuse.

14 hours ago, lemonlime said:

Regardless, I guarantee you that there is lots of abuse of immigrants in these facilities.  This is, hopefully, and if true, the most egregious of the abuses.  But given the utter lack of oversight and the vulnerable population with little access to attorneys and with no family to intervene, the trump administration has set the stage for abuse after abuse.

We've already heard allegations of systematic sexual abuse of detainees in ICE custody. 

https://www.propublica.org/article/ice-guards-systematically-sexually-assault-detainees-in-an-el-paso-detention-center-lawyers-say#988657

1 minute ago, tx 3 putt said:

if i was a brown person whose parents or grandparents weren't natural born citizens, id be very worried about now 

FIF accuracy. If you think they aren't coming after US citizens whose parents were not citizens (legal residents or not, doesn't matter), you haven't been paying attention.  The "we only have a problem with ILLEGAL immigrants" lie is one of the biggest lies of the past century.

100% miller is going after 1st gen citizens in the 2nd term. The new Trump Supreme Court is ready to rubber stamp it. 

Color me shocked - OIG has actually announced that they'll look into the whistleblower complaint and not bury it

https://lawandcrime.com/high-profile/dhs-office-of-inspector-general-investigating-ice-detention-facility-confirms-there-will-be-interview-of-whistleblower/

A DHS OIG spokesperson confirmed to Law&Crime on Tuesday that the office will be interviewing Dawn Wooten and that it has initiated a review of the Irwin County Detention Center (ICDC) in Georgia. The facility is privately operated by LaSalle Corrections.

“DHS OIG takes these allegations very seriously. We will be interviewing Dawn Wooten, who initiated this complaint, to hear her allegations first-hand,” the statement said. “We have also initiated an evaluation of the Irwin County Detention Center, to include records reviews, interviews with detainees and staff, evaluation of medical care and services, and related matters.”

The DHS IG is Joseph V. Cuffari.

Law&Crime has learned that the interview is scheduled for Thursday afternoon.

Irvin McCullough, the Deputy Director of Legislation at the Government Accountability Project and a member of Wooten’s legal team, said in a statement that the group was pleased DHS OIG moved quickly to investigate Wooten’s whistleblower complaint.

“Whistleblowers spotlight misconduct to seek investigations and stop abuses,” McCullough said. “We’re glad the Inspector General is giving these disclosures the immediate investigation they deserve. The next step is ensuring that the investigation is a full one, where the watchdog interviews all the relevant witnesses, reviews all the relevant records, and gets to the very bottom of what’s happened at this facility.”

Members of Congress and groups representing Wooten have demanded an investigation of Wooten’s claims about a “high rate” of hysterectomies on ICDC detainees. Those allegations in the whistleblower complaint were first noticed and reported by Law&Crime. Wooten is a nurse who formerly worked full-time at ICDC. She was demoted in July, she believes, out of retaliation for raising concerns about the facility’s “unsafe work practices” and life-threatening neglect of detainees amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

According to Wooten, ICDC consistently used a particular gynecologist outside of the facility who almost always opted to remove all or part of the uterus of his female detainee patients.

“Everybody he sees has a hysterectomy—just about everybody,” Wooten said, adding that, “everybody’s uterus cannot be that bad.”

“We’ve questioned among ourselves like goodness he’s taking everybody’s stuff out…That’s his specialty, he’s the uterus collector. I know that’s ugly…is he collecting these things or something…Everybody he sees, he’s taking all their uteruses out or he’s taken their tubes out. What in the world,” she said, according to the complaint.

The Associated Press reported last Friday that more migrant women had come forward and alleged that they did not agree to or fully understand gynecological surgical procedures. But the AP also said that its review of the matter “did not find evidence of mass hysterectomies as alleged in a widely shared complaint filed” by Wooten.

Reading the tea leaves here... from Al Jazeera's coverage they included an additional detail that one of the complainants actually still doesn't know what was done to her. When she requested her medical docs ICDC provided more than 100 pages showing a diagnosis of cysts but nothing from the day of the surgery.

Nothing suspicious there... Glad it's not being swept under the rug

Leaving aside the absolute horror of performing unnecessary hysterectomies, these women will have not only lasting psychological damage but they now have to deal with the physical aftermath.

A hysterectomy isn’t like getting your appendix or tonsils removed in that once you recover from the surgery you can go back to normal.

It can permanently effect your bladder and bowels and urination and defecation. Their abdominal muscles will take a long time to heal - I don’t imagine prison surgeons are doing them vaginally or laparoscopically. If the ovaries were removed, they’ll experience severe menopausal symptoms - hot flushes, anxiety, weepiness, sweating, sleep disturbances, decreased vaginal lubrication which can make sex uncomfortable and painful. They’ll probably need to take hormone replacement therapy.

Add in the language barrier and most likely lack of access to basic follow up healthcare and these women are facing a lifetime of issues.

It’s incredibly sad and enraging.

mpu

Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion