DACA, immigration reform whatever

hayden_horn

6 minutes ago, Captainant said:

No, the guy whose tweet you're quoting that's doing the nice cherrypicking is an author for the alt-right conspiracy rag the Federalist and was the rapid response director for Spanish-language media on trump's re-election campaign.

It's more that you're just coming around to only amplify the parts that appear to be politically damaging to Biden.

Which as I said before, is a big upgrade from trying to convince people to not vaccinate their kids. So good to see your growth, comrade.

The numbers are the numbers whether you think they’re “cherry picked” or not. They’re relevant to this thread. They’re also not surprising at all to anyone with any connection to the parts of Texas near the border. 

• Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Sample size of 300. 

You’re right. It’s probably the sample size, not the conditions on the ground. 

We’ve had a massive influx of illegals coming across the entire year. People that live on the border and are used to illegals crossing are overwhelmed by what’s going on. I would bet my last dime that every person on this thread that acts like this is no big deal is far removed from what’s going on.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/del-rio-residents-concerned-with-the-record-number-of-migrants-in-the-area/ar-AALpt7E

• Fuck You 2

26 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Treat them the same way as anybody else. 

Take'm out to the Dirty Boulevard and club'em to death like Lou Reed sang.

That's what the statue of bigotry says

On Facebook, Mary-Anne from Weatherford with Bible memes all throughout her profile, says SEND THEM BACK! If they don't abide, SHOOT EM!!!!

Edited by Bruh Man
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

17 minutes ago, Satoshi said:

We’ve had a massive influx of illegals coming across the entire year. People that live on the border and are used to illegals crossing are overwhelmed by what’s going on. I would bet my last dime that every person on this thread that acts like this is no big deal is far removed from what’s going on.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/del-rio-residents-concerned-with-the-record-number-of-migrants-in-the-area/ar-AALpt7E

What? Do you employ visa workers? Got family in Del Rio?

You seem to think this is new. As if Mexico just now existed. Where the fuck do you think I live? 

You don't give a shit about anything but your own. 

Fuck off.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, cactusflinthead said:

What? Do you employ visa workers? Got family in Del Rio?

You seem to think this is new. As if Mexico just now existed. Where the fuck do you think I live? 

You don't give a shit about anything but your own. 

Fuck off.

Where do you live?  I’d bet I have at least the border connections you do. Like i said, a certain amount of this stuff is normal and expected. In the past year we’ve gone way past that and anyone denying that is doing it for self serving reasons. 

• Fuck You 2

16 minutes ago, Satoshi said:

More bullshit.

They didn't want to stay in the RGV then and don't now. I wouldn't send someone down there unless they like scrub and prickly pear. 

Our country can absorb that Haitian group in the blink of an eye. 

Edited by cactusflinthead
Spelling yo
  • Hook 'Em 3

29 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Our country can absorb that Haitian group in the blink of an eye. 

I was pondering this due to GR's concern over the numbers. It isn't ideal to have folks camped out in Del Rio since we're in the middle of a pandemic plus simple hygiene is difficult with large groups. Although the protocol is to assess each individual for symptoms and then quarantine if necessary, the Administration is still following CDC guidelines and turning most seekers away, or releasing with a motion to appear.

But, back to numbers and the last year. Sure things are different. Maybe I'm just a compassionate fool, but I kinda like that the US doesn't separate families anymore in order to discourage asylum seekers. Or that the US doesn't seem to have misplaced five hundred children from whom they belong in the past year. Some of the group from Haiti may have been encouraged by that. I mean, if you come from a country that has had over 32 coups with a lot of violent deaths, several devastating earthquakes (last one killed over 250,000), several major hurricanes, and 3/4 of the population subsists on less than $2.00 a day, waiting around in Del Rio may seem a little like being thisclose to heaven. Ideally, the US and Mexico work together to make the best of a trying situation, but unfortunately no one is on the same page, and too many people are only interested in scoring political points, cruelty just to be cruel, or getting bogged down in the details. Pretty sad.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

I know I will be branded an islamist for using this news outlet, but ........... 

Listen to the man at the end. He is not uneducated. He is a human like all of us. Where is this admin on this? I really am curious. Where is the Latino caucus on this issue? Remember how vocal they were when it was Central Americans? We know the Republican line. But where are the Dems? AOC? Fucking crickets but I am sure she is talking to a new fashion advisor. 

Meh, we suck at being a refuge. And we could do it so easily. Sorry, long day dealing with another conflict and just a bit jaded tonight. Afghanistan, Ethiopia, Haiti, Guinea, and now our own fucking border. 

On a UT note. When I was in ILAS I wanted to do some research into Haiti. I could not find 1 professor to support me. I went to African Studies, nope that is Western Hemisphere. Finally a crazy Nigerian professor accepted it due to the movement he was studying in about 1200 AD of Malian sailors who went west. Of course my research had nothing to do with it, but at least he saw a connection beyond just slavery between Africa and the Western Hemisphere. And that is Haiti. 

image.thumb.png.dd4ac2592fe4eb9411c2893c0a9291f0.png

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

56 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Listen to the man at the end. He is not uneducated. He is a human like all of us. Where is this admin on this? I really am curious. Where is the Latino caucus on this issue? Remember how vocal they were when it was Central Americans? We know the Republican line. But where are the Dems? AOC? Fucking crickets but I am sure she is talking to a new fashion advisor. 

Latino immigration organizations are going at the Biden administration pretty hard but the caucus made up of Dems is being fairly quiet. One thing I have noticed is that the Hispanic Caucus did criticize the BP but not the administration where immigration rights advocates are rightfully calling out the Biden administration. 

Ultimately, Congress needs to get off its ass and pass common sense immigration reform.  It should be easier to come here for everyone.

Make it a points system and stratify the Visa type based on the number of points.  Also put requirements in for company sponsorship or asylum requests if you do not meet a certain number of points.  The points system can work.  We just need people in Congress that stop playing fucking politics and do their fucking jobs.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, F250 said:

Roping a black guy that looks like he has been hiking the underground railroad is a really bad look.

Those are his reins, not a rope. You can see his left hand is choked up pretty high on them and the "rope" is just the end of his reins dangling out there. Ropes these days are mostly bright colors, like neon green, pink, or blue. Also, you don't rope something or somebody and try and then reach down and grab them without controlling your horse in a situation like that. You rope and then dally the other end of the rope around your saddle horn and pull back on the reins with your other hand to make the horse stop. Still a bad look to be chasing a black guy down on horseback, however.

• Hook 'Em 1

Those are his reins, not a rope. You can see his left hand is choked up pretty high on them and the "rope" is just the end of his reins dangling out there. Ropes these days are mostly bright colors, like neon green, pink, or blue. Also, you don't rope something or somebody and try and then reach down and grab them without controlling your horse in a situation like that. You rope and then dally the other end of the rope around your saddle horn and pull back on the reins with your other hand to make the horse stop. Still a bad look to be chasing a black guy down on horseback, however.

Yeah, a white man whipping a black man from a horse with the reins is a much better look.

9 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

We can absorb them. We choose not to. Notice how Haitians are treated vs. Hispanics?

I don't have a problem with granting Haitians asylum. Rather, it's telling that the GOP and their mouthpieces, per usual, are ignoring the extra difficulties of processing numbers of people who may or may not be contagious and spreading it among their camp-mates as they wait in less than ideal conditions w/o adequate shelter and water. The conditions are, however, more favorable due to the heat lessening which is another reason numbers have been increasing. Just as 'our little old ancestors' (you know the movie) had to time the crossing of the Great American Desert to arrive at the Great White Mecca that was/is Oregon, so too do these migrants who wish to establish a better life for their families.

1 hour ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Hold your breath waiting for twitter to tag those tweets as misleading. 

• Hook 'Em 2

If only we could get our hands on Cuba the way we have with Haiti, it too could be a paradise.

Also, lol, are there any state sponsored terrorists in LA who weren't trained in the US?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2021/07/15/colombia-haiti-us-military/

Edited by Starfleet Command

7 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Oh yay, "it's not a clip it's a magazine" energy but instead of school shootings we're talking armed agents of the state on horseback whipping desperate black people. Real cool conversations we're having these days.

The Worst Timeline continues.

7 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

It's more of the a thing where chasing a black man down on horseback like its 1860 is bad enough to stand on its own merits. Using misleading hyperbole only gives the idiots ammo to say "look at those stupid libtards."

We're talking about Border Patrol agents using reins to whip people. It isn't the people who say they're using whips who are being misleading. 

2 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

In that specific pic it looks as if he's about to try to grab that Haitian by his shirt (as is revealed in another pic) rather than whip him. 

US-POLITICS-IMMIGRATION-TEXAS : News Photo

However in these pics it looks a lot more like he's wielding his reins like a whip.

TOPSHOT-US-POLITICS-IMMIGRATION-TEXAS : News Photo

United States Border Patrol agent on horseback uses the reins as he tries to stop Haitian migrants from entering an encampment on the banks of the...

2 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

Yeah, a white man whipping a black man from a horse with the reins is a much better look.

2 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Yeah, if you try and whip someone with your reins while your hand is choked up on them like that you are just going to yank your horse around.

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Hold your breath waiting for twitter to tag those tweets as misleading. 

They're not.

1 minute ago, wildcat09 said:

We're talking about Border Patrol agents using reins to whip people. It isn't the people who say they're using whips who are being misleading. 

12 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

The video of that second guy makes it pretty clear. He spins the reins as if he's preparing to whip someone with them in a threatening manner at two different people in the first few seconds of the clip, and comes pretty close to hitting the second guy in the face. 

Holding my breath for Anastasis and NAAL to admit they were wrong on this.

14 hours ago, Satoshi said:

What are the overwhelmed by?

16 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

The video of that second guy makes it pretty clear. He spins the reins as if he's preparing to whip someone with them in a threatening manner at two different people in the first few seconds of the clip, and comes pretty close to hitting the second guy in the face. 

In both cases it appears to me that he used the loose end of the split rein on the horse to control it's movements. First to make an abrupt movement to the left, and in the second to get it to dip its head. Both movements occur directly after he strikes the horse with the rein and appears situationally directed to have the horse engage the men around it.   

I think that the situation speaks clearly enough. These guys were trying to bring food back to their families under the bridge and they were getting very aggressively controlled by mounted border patrol.  It's bad enough as it is, there is no need to conjure loaded rhetoric.   

Edited by Anastasis
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

He was pretty clearly spinning it like he was at the very least trying to make them think he was going to whip them in the video. Now show evidence that he did.

Yes, it's okay if you're only threatening to whip someone.  Nice attempt at moving the goalposts.

JFC.

3 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

In both cases it appears to me that he used the loose end of the split rein on the horse to control it's movements. First to make an abrupt movement to the left, and in the second to get it to dip its head. Both movements occur directly after he strikes the horse with the rein and appears situationally directed to have the horse engage the men around it.

Jesus.  Did you not even bother to watch the whole video?  There's a slow motion breakdown showing him spinning the loose end around in the direction of the people in the river.

8 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Yes, it's okay if you're only threatening to whip someone.  Nice attempt at moving the goalposts.

JFC.

So, you went from "he was roping and whipping black folks" to "maybe he wasn't roping them and maybe he was only using the reins to scare them," and I'm the one moving the goal posts? I said all along chasing black folks down on horseback is bad, and as soon as I saw the video I agreed that he was at the very least trying threatening them with the reins. You truly are a lying hack and a big part of the reason this country is as divided as it is.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

So, you went from "he was roping and whipping black folks" to "maybe he wasn't roping them and maybe he was only using the reins to scare them," and I'm the one moving the goal posts? I said all along chasing black folks down on horseback is bad, and as soon as I saw the video I agreed that he was at the very least trying threatening them with the reins. You truly are a lying hack and a big part of the reason this country is as divided as it is.

I didn't say anything about anyone "roping" anyone, so your accusation is based on a false pretense.  I did say "whipping" someone with the reins was a bad look.  If going from whipping with reins to "threatening" to whip them with reins (only because there wasn't any clear video evidence that the officers actually were successful in whipping anyone and based on the clear video evidence of attempts to do so or at least threaten to do so) is moving goalposts then I guess I'm guilty as charged.  And you can get fucked if you think I'm a big part of the reason this country is divided as it is.  

Edited by DDD Dad

5 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Jesus.  Did you not even bother to watch the whole video?  There's a slow motion breakdown showing him spinning the loose end around in the direction of the people in the river.

Did you?  In both cases I see the rein being applied to the horse.  You are the one that said "Yeah, a white man whipping a black man from a horse with the reins is a much better look."  I didn't see that in the video but ok.