DACA, immigration reform whatever

hayden_horn

yes, i know that you can find someone somewhere saying pretty much anything, which is why i asked for someone with authority saying that thing.  which i want all the time, so it's kinda pavlovian with me.  i hear that bell and want those deets.

so far, all i've gotten is brainworms and bleats in response.

Edited by elfenix

10 minutes ago, elfenix said:

yes, i know that you can find someone somewhere saying pretty much anything, which is why i asked for someone with authority saying that thing.  which i do and want all the time, so it's kinda pavlovian with me.  i hear that bell and want those deets.

so far, all i've gotten is brainworms and bleats in response.

Because you do have brain worms. Go back and read my posts when I was attempting to have an adult conversation. I stopped taking you seriously once you auto defaulted to bUt TEd cRuZ!!!

7 minutes ago, F250 said:

Because you do have brain worms. Go back and read my posts when I was attempting to have an adult conversation. I stopped taking you seriously once you auto defaulted to bUt TEd cRuZ!!!

i didn't auto default to but ted cruz, but if anastasis is going to twist my words like ted cruz did to the witnesses at the hearing the other day i'm going to call him out on it. 

i ask for someone with actual power - and there's at least a couple of senators and ~100 representatives who bill themselves as progressive - and instead of linking to one of them you snarkily ask if there are any progressives with actual power, and yet i'm the one who shouldn't be taken seriously?

Edited by elfenix

36 minutes ago, elfenix said:

i didn't auto default to but ted cruz, but if anastasis is going to twist my words like ted cruz did to the witnesses at the hearing the other day i'm going to call him out on it. 

i ask for someone with actual power - and there's at least a couple of senators and ~100 representatives who bill themselves as progressive - and instead of linking to one of them you snarkily ask if there are any progressives with actual power, and yet i'm the one who shouldn't be taken seriously?

I was serious when I asked that question. House members don't hold any position of authority unless they are in a leadership role. Bernie is a Senator and has influence so I addressed his change on immigration which was previously more stricter. Then I commented on how I was surprised by DSA endorsing Open Borders because I would have thought like Bernie they would have saw it as a threat to American Labor. I even acknowledged that the term open borders is a politically loaded term but somehow you took my post as snark. That was a knee jerk reaction on your part.

I've been pretty fucking vocal about my stance on immigration on this thread for years which leans heavily towards open borders. 

If the subject of open borders causes you to immediately become defensive then Ted Cruz and the rest have already defined the narrative for you. Republicans are garbage people and you shouldn't let them define the conversation.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Willfully Horn said:

“We’re gonna say that part out loud.”

I wish I had remained unaware of this racist pos. 

I mean....one of the leading candidates in the Texas GQP gubernatorial primary was JUST ON THIS GUY'S SHOW, TALKING ABOUT THE BORDER AND PRAISING HIM.

confused-jaguarsfan.gif

Can we officially be done with any pretense that the GQP is anything but an openly white supremacist party?   It's fucking over.  It's done.  Any GQP supporter who tries to argue otherwise on this board should be auto-negged into Bolivia, and any of them in real life should have their nuts crunched by a steel-toed work boot on the end of the leg of a guy named "Jorge" or something similar.

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Didn’t you proclaim that you knowingly employ “illegals” and pay them under the table?

Are you paying your employer portion of their FICA and Social Security taxes?

I said my lawn guy asks for cash and it’s more likely than not he’s not claiming it.  I’m sure I’m the only here that has a lawn crew lulz. 

I am my employer. I’ll let you figure that out. 

50 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I’m sure I’m the only here that has a lawn crew lulz. 

Our lawn crew guy is awesome. Have as much knowledge of his taxes as I do the guy who owns the roofing company we recently contracted. Metal roof to offer more covered space in back of the studio. Lagniappe was the “Heche in Mexico” tag painted  on a purlin. Jefe is as establishment-Texan as Dalhart and Lubbock. I would bet both pay more in income taxes than do too many millionaires.

OTOH, there’s a guy who comes to my door about once a year, soliciting work. Hell yes I find something for him to do. Every time. Wait until Abbott passes the next vigilante standing law, sue me then.

All involved have more fidelity with the “American Dream” than the racist puddle of Republican shit, Charlie Kirk.

Edited by Willfully Horn
Cohesive integrity
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Thread on the Haitians that were recently sent back to Haiti. Pretty fucked up.

A lot of them spent all their money to get to the U.S. border from South America only to be shipped to Haiti after living in South America for a decade. Normally that would be terrible but when you add the disaster that is Haiti it's unconscionable. This is a Miller wet dream and it's being done by the Biden administration.

• Rage+1 3

2 hours ago, elfenix said:

What the fuck are you talking about buddy?  I never twisted your words.  You are the one that quoted my statement: At least as long as they suppress the progressive wing. which was a response to the notion that no Democrats supported open borders. The point of that being that the progressive wing gets continually suppressed by the establishment Democrats. Cause, as stated upthread, "they don't know how to play politics."  You went off on some contrived Karen rant asking for receipts for an argument that I never made.  There is no rational poster here that will argue that there is not ongoing tension between the progressive and shitlib wings of the Democrat party, it's not controversial. You have been arguing against a strawman.  That is not twisting your words.  But does put you in the Ted Cruz rhetoric camp.  

4 minutes ago, F250 said:

A lot of them spent all their money to get to the U.S. border from South America only to be shipped to Haiti after living in South America for a decade. Normally that would be terrible but when you add the disaster that is Haiti it's unconscionable. This is a Miller wet dream and it's being done by the Biden administration.

I would rather live in almost anywhere in South America than College Station. Just saying. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

I mean....one of the leading candidates in the Texas GQP gubernatorial primary was JUST ON THIS GUY'S SHOW, TALKING ABOUT THE BORDER AND PRAISING HIM.

confused-jaguarsfan.gif

Can we officially be done with any pretense that the GQP is anything but an openly white supremacist party?   It's fucking over.  It's done.  Any GQP supporter who tries to argue otherwise on this board should be auto-negged into Bolivia, and any of them in real life should have their nuts crunched by a steel-toed work boot on the end of the leg of a guy named "Jorge" or something similar.

Agree, but can we be nicer to Bolivia? They don't deserve these fucktards. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, F250 said:

This is a Miller wet dream and it's being done by the Biden administration.

This is why you are seeing posters lose their bearings. 

Biden has lost multi-fold more immigrant children to follow-up than the peak of the Trump dumbshittery. Biden's CBP agents are apparently, according to some here, riding around on horse back in hoods whipping black people. Biden's running out what looks an awful lot, in terms of the pictures on the ground, like the evil nazi its all about the cruelty administration that preceded him. Some of them will be really shocked when they learn that children are getting prescribed psychotropics in immigration facilities as well. It was all defcon level whatever when the media informed them of this shit for the first time a few years ago, and now the continuation under a "different" administration is generating a cognitive dissonance that is breaking their brains. But some of us know that this bullshit is a long running affair and won't change because we are a politically dysfunctional society that can't deal with what should be straight forward issues where common ground exists.  

Edited by Anastasis
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Where is this coming from?  But the rest, well, we are the baddies. 

About 20k kids lost to follow up.  There was a thread devoted to it on this board when it was an order of magnitude less under Trump. Floats right by these days with no notice and no really righteous outrage by the posters here because...well, you know.

https://www.axios.com/migrant-children-biden-administration-a597fd98-03a7-415c-9826-9d0b5aaba081.html

By the numbers: During the first five months of the year, care providers made 14,600 required calls to check in with migrant minors released from shelters run by the Department of Health and Human Services. These minors typically were taken in by relatives or other vetted sponsors.

• In 4,890 of those instances, workers were unable to reach either the migrant or the sponsor.
  • The percentage of unsuccessful calls grew, from 26% in January to 37% in May, the data provided to Axios showed.

The big picture: More than 65,000 unaccompanied kids crossed the border illegally during those months, and July set yet another all-time record for young border crossers. That suggests the problem of losing track of released children could be compounded in the months to come.

• The data also indicates calls aren't happening with the frequency they should. Between President Biden's inauguration and the end of May, HHS discharged 32,000 children and teens — but the government placed fewer than 15,000 follow-up calls, according to the FOIA response.
  • In both March and April, the number of kids discharged was twice as high as the number of check-in calls the following month — indicating that half of the released kids might not have gotten a 30-day call, according to public agency data.

Flashback: In 2018, the Trump administration was criticized for being unable to account for the whereabouts of around 1,500 children released from HHS shelters during a three-month period.

• There were around 4,500 such minors as of the end of May who had been released under the Biden administration.
  • Hook 'Em 3

34 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Biden's running out what looks an awful lot, in terms of the pictures on the ground, like the evil nazi its all about the cruelty administration that preceded him. Some of them will be really shocked when they learn that children are getting prescribed psychotropics in immigration facilities as well. It was all defcon level whatever when the media informed them of this shit for the first time a few years ago, and now the continuation under a "different" administration is generating a cognitive dissonance that is breaking their brains.

Yeah? No. 

Joe is shitting the bed. EVERY R President since Nixon shat all the beds. 

Psychotropics to kids? That’s fucked up.  Link? 

Edited to say that my search came up empty.

image.thumb.png.e289624ce4f5c0cbb2fccb81bb7bf551.png

Edited by Willfully Horn
Screenshot

42 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

Psychotropics to kids? That’s fucked up.  Link? 

Which link you want? Maybe the one where posters here were losing their minds over lawsuits that were filed for prescribing practices occurring during the Obama administration?  Those are hard to find. Or you want the one's where they were losing their new found minds about what was happening under the Trump administration?  Those are fucking easy. 

Edited by Anastasis

5 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Which link you want? Maybe the one where posters here were losing their minds over lawsuits that were filed for prescribing practices occurring during the Obama administration?  Those are hard to find. Or you want the one's where they were losing their new found minds about what was happening under the Trump administration?  Those are fucking easy. 

A link that shows it is still a common practice? 

That shit is fucked up.

52 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

Edited to say that my search came up empty.

image.thumb.png.e289624ce4f5c0cbb2fccb81bb7bf551.png

Edited 34 minutes ago by Willfully Horn
Screenshot

Try adding "Trump" to your search term.  Get a lot more hits.  Even though many of them are related to lawsuits regarding practices that originated during the Obama Administration.  

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

About 20k kids lost to follow up.  There was a thread devoted to it on this board when it was an order of magnitude less under Trump. Floats right by these days with no notice and no really righteous outrage by the posters here because...well, you know.

https://www.axios.com/migrant-children-biden-administration-a597fd98-03a7-415c-9826-9d0b5aaba081.html

By the numbers: During the first five months of the year, care providers made 14,600 required calls to check in with migrant minors released from shelters run by the Department of Health and Human Services. These minors typically were taken in by relatives or other vetted sponsors.

• In 4,890 of those instances, workers were unable to reach either the migrant or the sponsor.
  • The percentage of unsuccessful calls grew, from 26% in January to 37% in May, the data provided to Axios showed.

The big picture: More than 65,000 unaccompanied kids crossed the border illegally during those months, and July set yet another all-time record for young border crossers. That suggests the problem of losing track of released children could be compounded in the months to come.

• The data also indicates calls aren't happening with the frequency they should. Between President Biden's inauguration and the end of May, HHS discharged 32,000 children and teens — but the government placed fewer than 15,000 follow-up calls, according to the FOIA response.
  • In both March and April, the number of kids discharged was twice as high as the number of check-in calls the following month — indicating that half of the released kids might not have gotten a 30-day call, according to public agency data.

Flashback: In 2018, the Trump administration was criticized for being unable to account for the whereabouts of around 1,500 children released from HHS shelters during a three-month period.

• There were around 4,500 such minors as of the end of May who had been released under the Biden administration.

You did leave out the part where most of these “lost” kids are because the people who took them in didn’t answer the phone.  They were also kids who showed up at the border by themselves. The previous admin separated kids from their parents on purpose and then didn’t bother to track where they ended up. 

That said, Biden should still be doing better. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

HHS discharged 32,000 children and teens — but the government placed fewer than 15,000 follow-up calls, according to the FOIA response.

I didn't leave anything out.  You just confuse "didn't answer the phone" with "didn't make the call."

Hand waving very in fashion these days.  Consistency, not so much. 

3 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I didn't leave anything out.  You just confuse "didn't answer the phone" with "didn't make the call."

Hand waving very in fashion these days.  Consistency, not so much. 

I mean, this is literally the beginning of the article right up to the part you originally quoted. 

The U.S. government has lost contact with thousands of migrant children released from its custody, according to data obtained by Axios through a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request.

Why it matters: Roughly one-in-three calls made to released migrant kids or their sponsors between January and May went unanswered, raising questions about the government's ability to protect minors after they're released to family members or others in the U.S.

• "This is very dismaying," said Mark Greenberg, who oversaw the unaccompanied minors program during the Obama administration and was briefed on Axios' findings. "If large numbers of children and sponsors aren’t being reached, that’s a very big gap in efforts to help them."
  • "While we make every effort to voluntarily check on children after we unite them with parents or sponsors and offer certain post-unification services, we no longer have legal oversight once they leave our custody," an HHS spokesperson told Axios, adding that many sponsors do not return phone calls or don't want to be reached out to.

Data: Administration for Children and Families FOIA division; Chart: Will Chase/Axios Data: Administration for Children and Families FOIA division; Chart: Will Chase/Axios

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

I mean, this is literally the beginning of the article right up to the part you originally quoted. 

Amazing how charitable the interpretation of the data becomes now. Here are the numbers from that article. 32k discharged, less than half actually receive the required follow-up (~15k), among those actually called about 1/3 (~5k) lost to follow-up. When Trump lost track of 1.5k, posters here were losing their minds. Biden's administration literally doesn't even attempt to do the require tracking on 10x that many...crickets and deflection. 

1 hour ago, Willfully Horn said:

Joe is shitting the bed. EVERY R President since Nixon shat all the beds. 

Don't really give a damn who shit the bed or not.

What really drives me nuts is the Republicans will win an election and stroll in and just make massive changes to the government while Democrats piss their pants and cry. A creepy ass new government institution called the Department of Homeland Security was created under Dubya along with airport anal probing and decades of war sprinkled with a undefined war on terrorism. Hope and change turned out to be don't hold your breath. What Bush built just became the norm and nobody is going to unfuck the damage done to our civil liberties done 20 years ago.

Then you have Trump shamelessly do all kinds of fucked up shit, one of them was to take the creation of a psychotic Nationalist and make a policy on how to deal with the darkies from shit hole countries.
Biden has the power to unfuck this policy but decides to not only continue the use of the policy but fight for its continued use. What the fuck???

Say what you want about the GOP but when they get elected they go balls to the wall to undo what their predecessors put into play. When a Republican says they want to repeal the ACA or Roe v. Wade they fucking mean it.

* I give a lot of credit to Biden for ripping off the band-aid in Afghanistan. Nobody had the balls to do that since the war started. Only wish he had the will to remove Title 42.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

49 minutes ago, F250 said:

Don't really give a damn who shit the bed or not.

What really drives me nuts is the Republicans will win an election and stroll in and just make massive changes to the government while Democrats piss their pants and cry. A creepy ass new government institution called the Department of Homeland Security was created under Dubya along with airport anal probing and decades of war sprinkled with a undefined war on terrorism. Hope and change turned out to be don't hold your breath. What Bush built just became the norm and nobody is going to unfuck the damage done to our civil liberties done 20 years ago.

Then you have Trump shamelessly do all kinds of fucked up shit, one of them was to take the creation of a psychotic Nationalist and make a policy on how to deal with the darkies from shit hole countries.
Biden has the power to unfuck this policy but decides to not only continue the use of the policy but fight for its continued use. What the fuck???

Say what you want about the GOP but when they get elected they go balls to the wall to undo what their predecessors put into play. When a Republican says they want to repeal the ACA or Roe v. Wade they fucking mean it.

* I give a lot of credit to Biden for ripping off the band-aid in Afghanistan. Nobody had the balls to do that since the war started. Only wish he had the will to remove Title 42.

Well, you got me all excited now right before bed!

• Fuck You 1

Psychotropic drugs used to control the behavior of children in foster care is abhorrent, off-label, and was done in accordance with STATE law. 

It was disgusting, and that the Obama administration did not prohibit the practice is inexcusable.

However, the Obama administration did not forcibly separate families from their children. They did put unaccompanied minors in facilities that used such chemical straight jackets, infuriatingly enough.

The practice is supposed to have ended, by order of a federal judge, in August 2018.

14 hours ago, Anastasis said:

I never twisted your words.

here's my words:

care to post a policy position paper from one of the progressives with actual power calling for actually open borders?  not just more-open borders, but actually open?

you then twist to this:

Suggesting that there are not progressive groups advocating open borders is an interesting angle.

and i know your response is going to be "i didn't directly mention you, elfenix."   we all know what subtweets are. 

17 hours ago, F250 said:

Outside of Venezuela, I don't know of a SA country that is in crisis. I could be wrong. If so, please correct me. These aren't refugees but rather people that are trying to subvert the immigration process.  They very well could be taking advantage of sentiment to the recent Haitian crisis(es) which may not have impacted them directly. They've been in SA for a decade.

If Haitians left their SA home and presumably only have a Haitian passport, they're going to be sent back to Haiti. I can't expect to be an American illegally in another country, and then have my choice of where to be deported. I'm going to be deported back to America regardless of where I want to go. 

Do the SA countries want the Haitians to return? America can't land a plane in Brazil, kick out the Haitians and then take back off. We do that once, and then next plane is denied landing.

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Outside of Venezuela, I don't know of a SA country that is in crisis. I could be wrong. If so, please correct me. These aren't refugees but rather people that are trying to subvert the immigration process.  They very well could be taking advantage of sentiment to the recent Haitian crisis(es) which may not have impacted them directly. They've been in SA for a decade.

If Haitians left their SA home and presumably only have a Haitian passport, they're going to be sent back to Haiti. I can't expect to be an American illegally in another country, and then have my choice of where to be deported. I'm going to be deported back to America regardless of where I want to go. 

Do the SA countries want the Haitians to return? America can't land a plane in Brazil, kick out the Haitians and then take back off. We do that once, and then next plane is denied landing.

I guess I'm expanding the scope here a bit since you specified South America, but things in Guatemala and El Salvador seem to be pretty horrible. Do you think they qualify as "in crisis," or is Venezuela special because they have a government we don't like?

1 hour ago, wildcat09 said:

I guess I'm expanding the scope here a bit since you specified South America, but things in Guatemala and El Salvador seem to be pretty horrible. Do you think they qualify as "in crisis," or is Venezuela special because they have a government we don't like?

Bolivia is never a cake walk. And one impact from Venezuela is the push of refugees into Brazil, Colombia, Peru, and Ecuador. so tossing 250K Haitians, if not more, into the mix can destabilize fast. 

1 hour ago, InkaUtexas said:

Bolivia is never a cake walk. And one impact from Venezuela is the push of refugees into Brazil, Colombia, Peru, and Ecuador. so tossing 250K Haitians, if not more, into the mix can destabilize fast. 

Brazil seems to be teetering on disaster though--rising inflation, an authoritarian leader saying election voting systems are fraudulent (wonder where he got that idea?), COVID running rampant, and a drought that appears to be ongoing. Comparatively to others sure, but the stimulus payments are done, and the election between Bolsonaro and Lula could send it all sideways.

This may be happening at an inconvenient time for the Biden administration, but it is an ocular demonstration of the what happens to desperate people in our broken immigration system. And the plight of these people is made worse when evil forces collude to create logistically improbable insta crises.

10 hours ago, elfenix said:

and i know your response is going to be "i didn't directly mention you, elfenix."   we all know what subtweets are. 

I think that my earlier substantive responsive suffices. If you need help locating it, it is post 5869. You created a strawman and are karening that into the horizon. Not a look I would generally expect from you, from many other posters here, but I know that you feel pot committed to that nonsense.