DACA, immigration reform whatever

hayden_horn

meanwhile, beto:

What has happened in Del Rio is wrong. It didn’t have to happen.

The scores of Haitian immigrants who were living in filth under the city’s bridges, corralled and charged by mounted Patrolmen like they were animals, had in many cases been on an odyssey lasting more than a decade. We should have seen them coming and ensured that the people of Del Rio, the women and men of the Border Patrol and especially the refugees themselves would not have to endure what has shocked the world over the last week.

https://elpasomatters.org/2021/09/24/opinion-biden-administration-failures-worsen-the-haitian-migration-crisis/

Edited by elfenix

spoiler!  (for those who don't want to read me and ana)

Spoiler

open borders is a scare quotes term.  when you look at the actual policy of people who are accused of wanting open borders, or even who say they want open borders, you just might find that they are not actually open borders.  instead, and again, more open.  that's why i wanted policy statements.  so far only one person who matters was suggested and he's kinda famously against open borders so he's probably a bad example. 
that's not a denial of tension or differences between the left and middle parts of the democrats on that or a host of other issues - that's something you invented in post 5824.
if you don't want to look for policy statements to see if someone's open borders are, indeed, open borders, then fine.
oh, and a friendly reminder that not every response is a retort.

Edited by elfenix

• 2 weeks later...

I thought Texas Monthly's article about the shifting demographic in south Texas was interesting. Mostly talked about how Democrats have been banking on the growing Hispanic population to shift blue but the exact opposite is happening. One line from the article I thought was odd

Many Hispanic South Texans shared something else with non-Hispanic white rural Texans: their racial identity. Hispanic residents of our state are much more likely to identify as white than Hispanic residents of cities elsewhere in the country

What else are they supposed to identify as? I don't know any Hispanic who doesn't identify as white. Even in health care data collection from my personal experience it's very bizarre for them to not identify as white.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

What else are they supposed to identify as? I don't know any Hispanic who doesn't identify as white. Even in health care data collection from my personal experience it's very bizarre for them to not identify as white.

Tony Soprano explained it.

Dr. Jennifer Melfi:
So am I to understand that you don't consider yourself white?

Tony Soprano:
I don't mean white like Caucasian. I mean a white man like our friend Cusamano. Now he's Italian, but he's Merigan. It's what my old man would have called a Wonder Bread wop. He eats his Sunday gravy out of a jar.

So basically it's a free-for-all now even for the 10% of them who get caught? They have to somehow figure out if someone with no identification has previously committed a violent crime to deport. huh

https://www.ice.gov/doclib/news/guidelines-civilimmigrationlaw.pdf

https://www.newsbreak.com/news/2389381856783/homeland-security-issues-new-immigration-enforcement-guidelines

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

• 4 weeks later...

So we're negotiating to pay some "undocumented non-citizens" up to $450k each, $1M+ for some families for our border separation policy when then willingly put themselves in that situation because their alternative was life threatening??  And now we will compensate them with crazy amounts of money? How is this supposed to ease the current border situation? I'm all for improving on how we handle things, but this is ridiculous.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/28/us/politics/trump-family-separation-border.html

Migrant families separated at the border by the Trump administration may be eligible to each receive hundreds of thousands of dollars in compensation for the damage inflicted on them by the policy, according to several people familiar with the matter.

Some families could receive as much as $450,000 for each member who was directly affected, the sources said. However, negotiations between the Biden administration and lawyers representing the families are not over, and many might get far less, they said.

About 5,500 children were separated from parents at the southern border under President Donald J. Trump’s “zero-tolerance” policy, mainly in the spring of 2018. Most were from Central America, but the measure also affected people from Brazil, Mexico and Romania, among other countries.

“There is no question that the Biden administration is doing the right thing by providing meaningful monetary compensation, given that the U.S. government deliberately brutalized these families, including babies and toddlers,” said Lee Gelernt, the lead negotiator on behalf of the families and deputy director of the American Civil Liberties Union’s immigrant rights project.

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

Not just those fuckheads.  Every poor American that feels slighted by the govt. just got pushed back several generations.   Doubt they’ll like that. 

Well when the government forcibly takes their family away and then forgets where they put them maybe those people will have something to complain about. 

4 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

So we're negotiating to pay some "undocumented non-citizens" up to $450k each, $1M+ for some families for our border separation policy when then willingly put themselves in that situation because their alternative was life threatening??  And now we will compensate them with crazy amounts of money? How is this supposed to ease the current border situation? I'm all for improving on how we handle things, but this is ridiculous.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/28/us/politics/trump-family-separation-border.html

Migrant families separated at the border by the Trump administration may be eligible to each receive hundreds of thousands of dollars in compensation for the damage inflicted on them by the policy, according to several people familiar with the matter.

Some families could receive as much as $450,000 for each member who was directly affected, the sources said. However, negotiations between the Biden administration and lawyers representing the families are not over, and many might get far less, they said.

About 5,500 children were separated from parents at the southern border under President Donald J. Trump’s “zero-tolerance” policy, mainly in the spring of 2018. Most were from Central America, but the measure also affected people from Brazil, Mexico and Romania, among other countries.

“There is no question that the Biden administration is doing the right thing by providing meaningful monetary compensation, given that the U.S. government deliberately brutalized these families, including babies and toddlers,” said Lee Gelernt, the lead negotiator on behalf of the families and deputy director of the American Civil Liberties Union’s immigrant rights project.

We have a long-standing practice in this country of persons being compensated by the government - local, state, and Federal - when those governments inflict harm or deprive those persons of rights. 

Id be more interested in hearing why these people don't deserve the money, other than "they came from shitty situations so what can they expect to happen?"

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Yes, our govt forced them to break our laws. 

I wasn’t aware claiming asylum was against the law. In fact, our government broke international law by not allowing people to claim asylum and by separating families at the border. It’s funny that you steered away from the racism in your first post but showed your colors nicely here.

• Like 1

It is a fact we denied asylum to asylum seekers as a matter of policy. It’s a fact that we purposely separated families at the border. It’s a fact that we intentionally ensured that people wouldn’t be able to locate their families. One of those things is expressly a violation of international law, the other two are certainly debatable if they did or not. 

Cruelty has a cost. For us it’s now $ because a group of people in this country seem to think that immigration is a bad thing if the immigrants are brown.

Imagine being so out of touch with your fellow man that you defend the separation of mothers from their children because someone walked across a line in the sand.

Edited by hobbes2702
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Well, if you not an asylum seeker, and you decide to cross our border, you are here illegally. Like I said, I don’t gaf if they do it. I want as many AA’s asking why outside of the reps from the blackest districts, reparations can’t even be discussed.  I’d like to pick up some of those votes. 

• Fuck You 3

2 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Cruelty has a cost. For us it’s now $ because a group of people in this country seem to think that immigration is a bad thing if the immigrants are brown.

Has nothing to do with the color of their skin. It’s the fact many (most?) of them are uneducated and unskilled.  Bring every doctor and educator to the front of the line. 

3 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Imagine being so out of touch with your fellow man that you defend the separation of mothers from their children because someone walked across a line in the sand.

Got any receipts for that, bitch?

2 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

@fattyflattie

Do you think we should separate a father from his 19month old child when he was trying to claim asylum? 

Yea my receipts are your comments in this thread in the last 5 posts.

Well I don’t, so don’t know where the fuck you came up with this.  

Thinking it’s dumb af to make someone a millionaire for no fucking reason /=/ agreeing with Trumps bullshit.   I see that’s hard for you to understand, but you’ve proven thru hundreds of posts that you are stupid. So I can understand, I guess. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Well I don’t, so don’t know where the fuck you came up with this.  

Thinking it’s dumb af to make someone a millionaire for no fucking reason /=/ agreeing with Trumps bullshit.   I see that’s hard for you to understand, but you’ve proven thru hundreds of posts that you are stupid. So I can understand, I guess. 

So that dad, who was separated from his 19 month old son, for 6 months, should we just tell him sorry and send him on his way? Because that happened. There’s hundreds of cases just like it. But I guess just toss them back huh. Sounds like a great idea. That 19 month old jjst needs to pull up his bootstraps.

I wouldn’t call being separated from your child for 6 months and in most cases never seeing them again “no fucking reason” but I’m not racist. You do you.

I’ve proven myself stupid on many more than hundreds of posts. Probably thousands in the 20 years I’ve been posting in these forums. What I haven’t proven is that I’m a racist, but you’re sure trying hard to show us your Klan bonafides in this thread.

Edited by hobbes2702

Just now, hobbes2702 said:

So that dad, who was separated from his 19 month old son, for 6 months, should we just tell him sorry and send him on his way? Because that happened. There’s hundreds of cases just like it. But I guess just toss them back huh. Sounds like a great idea. That 19 month old jjst needs to pull up his bootstraps.

I wouldn’t call being separated from your child for 6 months and in most cases never seeing them again “no fucking reason” but I’m not racist. You do you.

Well, since you can’t put a price on family time lost, let’s make it 100 million. Wgaf, money is just printed anyhow.  

Not all separated were asylum seekers. And prior admins did this also although in a tiny pct compared to trump.
There was separation when cases were referred for criminal prosecution, which also occured under obama and bush. Also in a small pct compared to trump.
This is just doubling down on stupid.
And yes I know Ima be called a racist. Although im a minority, mexicannamerican, with grandparents and fam from and still in mexico. Lets let all the entitled white folks call me racist.
Shit if were giving out $ ill take some for shit the rangers did to my people.
So fucking idiotic to pay anything.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Well, if you not an asylum seeker, and you decide to cross our border, you are here illegally. Like I said, I don’t gaf if they do it. I want as many AA’s asking why outside of the reps from the blackest districts, reparations can’t even be discussed.  I’d like to pick up some of those votes. 

Crossing the border illegally is a misdemeanor.

1 hour ago, williemackgarza said:

Not all separated were asylum seekers. And prior admins did this also although in a tiny pct compared to trump.
There was separation when cases were referred for criminal prosecution, which also occured under obama and bush. Also in a small pct compared to trump.
This is just doubling down on stupid.
And yes I know Ima be called a racist. Although im a minority, mexicannamerican, with grandparents and fam from and still in mexico. Lets let all the entitled white folks call me racist.
Shit if were giving out $ ill take some for shit the rangers did to my people.
So fucking idiotic to pay anything.

Obama never separated children from their parents as an act of cruelty when they were under no danger. It only happened when it was deemed to be in the interest of the child’s safety. It was completely different and you’re being totally ingenuous if you’re equating the two. But I get it, you’re just parroting the lines that are being fed to you.

We recently saw a story of a child who was reunited with his parents after being separated for four years. We’re going to be seeing stories like that for the next twenty years. It’s barbaric.

Trump/Pence/Sessions/Miller. Come for the racism, stay for the child abuse. You sick fucks.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Is a misdemeanor not a crime?  

2 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

We recently saw a story of a child who was reunited with his parents after being separated for four years.

That’s fucking terrible.  Now they’ll have generational wealth, more money than what, 85% of Americans? 

5 hours ago, Foosters said:

We have a long-standing practice in this country of persons being compensated by the government - local, state, and Federal - when those governments inflict harm or deprive those persons of rights. 

Id be more interested in hearing why these people don't deserve the money, other than "they came from shitty situations so what can they expect to happen?"

Actually, I'm not sure we really do.  That whole sovereign immunity thing tends to keep the gubmint from having to compensate its people for most of its torts.  There's that pesky Tort Claims Act, but it's pretty stingy.

10 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Obama never separated children from their parents as an act of cruelty when they were under no danger. It only happened when it was deemed to be in the interest of the child’s safety. It was completely different and you’re being totally ingenuous if you’re equating the two. But I get it, you’re just parroting the lines that are being fed to you.

We recently saw a story of a child who was reunited with his parents after being separated for four years. We’re going to be seeing stories like that for the next twenty years. It’s barbaric.

Trump/Pence/Sessions/Miller. Come for the racism, stay for the child abuse. You sick fucks.

Prior administrations separated adults charged with a second or subsequent illegal entry (criminal) because children can't be held in criminal detention facilities.  That much is 100% true.

One aspect of Trump's policy that differed from prior administrations is charging the first illegal entry as a crime.  And that invoked the same mechanism as employed by prior administrations to separate children from adults.

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Actually, I'm not sure we really do.  That whole sovereign immunity thing tends to keep the gubmint from having to compensate its people for most of its torts.  There's that pesky Tort Claims Act, but it's pretty stingy

That's fair. I was more referring to settlements on high profile indefensible cases. But those are at least already in the courts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/11/2021 at 12:07 PM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I have a legitimate question for everyone that opposes more open borders.  How is your life made worse by someone that has come over illegally?  

Perfect question. It’s easy to not care when you are not personally effected in anyway, or 1000 miles from the border. 

One example 

Education:

https://www.fairus.org/issue/publications-resources/elephant-classroom-mass-immigrations-impact-public-education

estimated 2 million people will illegally immigrate to the US in 2021. That is larger than the city of Austin and 90% of the cities in the country. 

All need welfare, housing, education and healthcare (and a vax), and that is just 12 months. 

Agreed that this has no impact on the top 20% of the country, but it does make those at the top feel better about themselves.