DACA, immigration reform whatever

hayden_horn

Perfect question. It’s easy to not care when you are not personally effected in anyway, or 1000 miles from the border. 

One example 
Education:
https://www.fairus.org/issue/publications-resources/elephant-classroom-mass-immigrations-impact-public-education

estimated 2 million people will illegally immigrate to the US in 2021. That is larger than the city of Austin and 90% of the cities in the country. 

All need welfare, housing, education and healthcare (and a vax), and that is just 12 months. 

Agreed that this has no impact on the top 20% of the country, but it does make those at the top feel better about themselves. 

Great! We need them. They’ll fill jobs, pay taxes, be consumers of our small businesses, and raise children that will continue the cycle.

It’s disingenuous to just look at (initial) costs and not consider the entire offering.

But you know this.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Lurch said:

Great! We need them. They’ll fill jobs, pay taxes, be consumers of our small businesses, and raise children that will continue the cycle.

It’s disingenuous to just look at (initial) costs and not consider the entire offering.

But you know this.

Which is direct competition for working class Americans, both economically and government resources.

You know this. You just don’t care because you aren’t in that group. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

Jumping in here. 

the woman I work for has a PhD and has worked in cancer research for a decade. I’ve worked with her for the past 8 months. She has been working on getting a permanent resident alien card. Every step is torture and she’s been declined, or at least asked for further documentation, at least once. 

there has to be a better way for all of it. 

Which is direct competition for working class Americans, both economically and government resources.
You know this. You just don’t care because you aren’t in that group. 

Nonsense. Growing population helps all classes of Americans, as described above.

And they should be given citizenship, in which case they ARE then the working class Americans you’re suddenly concerned about.

Jumping in here. 

the woman I work for has a PhD and has worked in cancer research for a decade. I’ve worked with her for the past 8 months. She has been working on getting a permanent resident alien card. Every step is torture and she’s been declined, or at least asked for further documentation, at least once. 

Of course there is. The system is broken because it was designed to be broken.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 11/11/2021 at 12:07 PM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I have a legitimate question for everyone that opposes more open borders.  How is your life made worse by someone that has come over illegally?  

I’m not for open borders in the sense of driving between Texas and Louisiana. I think the majority of Americans would not be for that. I am for free travel and automatic guest worker status for anyone not convicted of a felony or certain misdemeanors here or their home country for Mexican and Canadian citizens. Also for expansion of refugee status to include economic reasons for citizens of Central American countries. That and complete decriminalization of drugs would solve most of our immigration problems. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

I’m not for open borders in the sense of driving between Texas and Louisiana. I think the majority of Americans would not be for that. I am for free travel and automatic guest worker status for anyone not convicted of a felony or certain misdemeanors here or their home country for Mexican and Canadian citizens. Also for expansion of refugee status to include economic reasons for citizens of Central American countries. That and complete decriminalization of drugs would solve most of our immigration problems. 

I agree.  I am not for full open borders, but it absolutely should be easier to come here legally, especially if you want to work.  

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Jumping in here. 

My buddy is DACA, and has been working on getting his green card. He had to go to El Paso for a hearing and some other stuff and had to then cross into Juarez as part of the process. Of course they decided they needed further documentation to male their decision AFTER he had crossed the border and couldn't get back. Wife and child both American born citizens and left hanging in the balance. Luckily he found out yesterday his case was approved and should be back as soon as they can get the documents printed. So I'd say her case is pretty tame.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

On 10/29/2021 at 4:00 PM, fattyflattie said:

Ideas like this is how Mr. President Stephen Miller happens.   

A certain percentage of voters would vote for that regardless. Another percentage is looking for a reason.

Funny thing is, and I mean funny-queer, almost every such voter would be livid and seeking restitution if these events befell their family.

Do you think this inhumanity should be glossed over and never mentioned again? Treated like 1/6 is treated in DT?

no shit.  we have bIdEnOpEn BoRdErS mIgRaNt CrIsIs !!!!11!!!1!!!!1!one!!eleventy yet low income wages are up and up and up.  it's such a bullshit narrative.  

Same people are bitching that they can’t get their fast food quickly enough because there isn’t enough staff.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

https://elpasomatters.org/2022/12/16/how-to-help-migrants-el-paso-texas-organizations/

How to donate items, volunteer time for migrants in El Paso

Spoiler

El Paso’s humanitarian organizations need help as they aid migrants who are passing through El Paso, and with border crossings expected to rise next week when public health policy Title 42 lifts, community leaders are predicting a situation that will require all hands on deck.

One of the biggest unauthorized border crossings in El Paso history occurred this past weekend when thousands of migrants waded across the Rio Grande from Ciudad Juárez. For most migrants – who hail mainly from Nicaragua, Cuba, Ecuador and the Dominican Republic – El Paso is a temporary stay until they can depart for their intended destination. People continued to cross the border throughout the week, but since shelters are at capacity, federal agents are releasing migrants into the streets, including nearly 200 people today, according to a city dashboard

Temperatures are expected to drop below freezing tonight. An encampment has formed outside the Greyhound bus station, where individuals are bringing water, food, blankets and other supplies, including a mattress. After reports of limited access to public restrooms, the city set up several portable toilets in a nearby parking lot.

On Wednesday, Texas Gov. Greg Abbott asked the state’s attorney general to investigate nongovernmental organizations which he claims are helping migrants illegally cross the border near El Paso. In his letter, Abbott did not provide any evidence supporting his allegations and local nonprofits accused the governor of trying to criminalize groups for providing humanitarian aid to migrants.

Spoiler

Despite the governor’s language, NGOs in El Paso are calling on people to support their work. Here are ways you can help:

Annunciation House

This volunteer-led organization provides shelter and support to migrants and refugees. The organization takes monetary donations and is in need of volunteers in particular. Short-term volunteers from outside of town must commit to a minimum of two weeks of service. Local volunteers do not have a minimum time commitment.

Donate or apply to volunteer online.

Border Refugee Assistance Fund

The Catholic Diocese of El Paso and the Hope Border Institute, a faith-based organization, started aGoFundMe to raise money for migrant shelters. The Diocese runs five migrant shelters which are in need of volunteers.

Donate online or contact the diocese to volunteer.

Spoiler

Opportunity Center for the Homeless

This nonprofit organization serves people who are experiencing homelessness in El Paso, including migrants. The organization set up an Amazon Wish List of most needed items. People can also drop off toiletries, gently used clothes and food at 1208 Myrtle Ave. Unused shoes of all sizes, colors, and for any gender are in high demand.

Learn more online about what to donate.

Rescue Mission of El Paso

This faith-based charity and homeless shelter has an average of 200 visitors a day and 185 residents, according to its website. Donations needed most for residents at 221 North Lee St. include bath towels, laundry detergent, twin sheets, blankets, deodorant and Tylenol or ibuprofen for adults and children. Donations needed most for visitors at 130 N. Cotton St. include bar soap, body lotion, blankets, backpacks and towels.

For questions about donating clothes, unused toiletries and food, visit the Rescue Mission’s website

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

A question for those familiar with the immigration issue. It is my understanding that the 14th Amendment is the basis for people crossing into the US and asking for a court hearing. 

There are now over 1.8m cases pending, and the list is growing every day. I would think most reasonable Americans would agree that it’s a serious problem that needs to be addressed. If so, why wouldn’t both parties want to do something constitutionally to carve out those that illegally cross the border, to at least stem this flood of people? I recognize that it would also result in more illegal crossings undetected, but that’s a different issue to address. 

• 7 months later...

Interesting that the illegal immigration problem continues to grow, and there appears to be no serious efforts to stem it. 

This is a very emotional issue for many people and my fear is that the lack of communication coming out of the White House is going to start hurting Biden’s re-election efforts.

If the administration is truly handcuffed by Congress, then the Administration needs to be banging that drum over and over until the blame is shifted from Biden to Congress where it belongs. Right now, Abbott and Republicans are hammering the open border issue over and over in communications. 

7 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Interesting that the illegal immigration problem continues to grow, and there appears to be no serious efforts to stem it. 

This is a very emotional issue for many people and my fear is that the lack of communication coming out of the White House is going to start hurting Biden’s re-election efforts.

If the administration is truly handcuffed by Congress, then the Administration needs to be banging that drum over and over until the blame is shifted from Biden to Congress where it belongs. Right now, Abbott and Republicans are hammering the open border issue over and over in communications. 

Agreed, and I would start with tearing down the terms "open border".  It's not true in any way and Biden and all the Dems should be calling out the Rs for saying it.

• Hook 'Em 1

So what is the solution? I am serious. This issue is very important and is going to have demographic impacts on both sides. I would love to see processing points in Central America, Colombia, etc, where people could apply and await decision. We fly back illegals all the time. Those planes come back empty.

If you have a family in the US who can show they can support, well you go to the front of the line. If you can prove your life is in danger due tot eh violence, you are #2. Five year probation, you have to stay in contact and be part of society, which most are for sure. If you fuck up, well you go home. Your kids born in the US can appeal for you to come up when they turn 18. While young, their care is a major issue.

Our policy should focus on Latin America, and yes, that includes Haiti. The EU can handle Africa and the Middle East.

Not perfect, but a start. We wrote the deployment center about 15 years ago for a think tank. No one in DC would consider it. Our take was well we built secure bases all over the region that now are unused or secure zones under the controls of the governments. Process people there. Save them the risk and costs with the Mexico Trek and let CBP focus on real risks.

3 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Until the GOP is out of power and split into factions that can't regain power, there is no solution.

You may be right, but right now the perception by a lot of folks  is that the tens of thousands of people crossing the border every day/week is because of administration inaction. So those people don’t believe that Democrat controlled Congress would result in fixing the problem. Must fix that perception problem. I get so tired of saying that democrats are doing a poor job of getting important messaging out to the masses. It happens over and over. 

5 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

You may be right, but right now the perception by a lot of folks  is that the tens of thousands of people crossing the border every day/week is because of administration inaction. So those people don’t believe that Democrat controlled Congress would result in fixing the problem. Must fix that perception problem. I get so tired of saying that democrats are doing a poor job of getting important messaging out to the masses. It happens over and over. 

They are terrible, but there's also literally millions of people that are too stupid to understand and/or just don't want to know the truth.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Biff Tannen said:

They are terrible, but there's also literally millions of people that are too stupid to understand and/or just don't want to know the truth.

True, but you don’t have to reach those people. You only have to reach the 5-10% that decide elections. 

4 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

It’s a made up crisis 

There absolutely is a serious issue with an excessive number of crossings at the border. For example, the mayor of El Paso, a Democrat, has said multiple times in recent months they are at a breaking point. That is a crisis. 

If you mean that Republicans are purposing not solving the issue to keep the crisis continuing, well that’s the exact point of my post. The Democrats need to point that out ad nauseam to the 10-15% of the population that decides elections and is smart enough to pay attention to the real issues, as opposed to propaganda. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

There absolutely is a serious issue with an excessive number of crossings at the border. For example, the mayor of El Paso, a Democrat, has said multiple times in recent months they are at a breaking point. That is a crisis. 

If you mean that Republicans are purposing not solving the issue to keep the crisis continuing, well that’s the exact point of my post. The Democrats need to point that out ad nauseam to the 10-15% of the population that decides elections and is smart enough to pay attention to the real issues, as opposed to propaganda. 

people have been crossing that border (both ways) for over a 100 years. the economy is good snd jobs are plentiful, hence people want to come over. also factor in fears of trump rhetoric. 

let the feds do their job. let the feds open more shelters. I'm all for offering help - food, meds, clothing, free legal aid but honestly they’re goal isn't to get to el paso and live off city services  

bring back a guest worker program. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

people have been crossing that border (both ways) for over a 100 years. the economy is good snd jobs are plentiful, hence people want to come over. also factor in fears of trump rhetoric. 

let the feds do their job. let the feds open more shelters. I'm all for offering help - food, meds, clothing, free legal aid but honestly they’re goal isn't to get to el paso and live off city services  

bring back a guest worker program. 

This is an incredibly myopic view and not anywhere near in line with the majority viewpoints of citizens. And the current situation is not just like the past. That’s flat wrong. 

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Part of the perception problem is that inaction is seen as beneficial to the Democratic Party from a purely political standpoint. These will eventually be overwhelmingly D voters. Everyone knows that.

The cynic in me says that’s why nothing is done by Dems in Congress. Easier to scream racism and let everybody in. Bolster numbers. Unfortunately there are actual consequences to large amounts of illegal immigration on legal citizens and government services. Not to mention finances.

Republicans do nothing because it’s a hard problem to fix and it’s good for riling up their base. The problem might be reaching level though that something has to be done. And you don’t ever want situations to ever where government has to “do something!”

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 5

Just now, InkaUtexas said:

No they have been, just not these numbers. Remember the Central America refugees in the 1980's? It established them here.

And as noted, a lot of US Citizens are morons.

Denying there is a problem is why elections are lost. See how that strategy works out. 

1 minute ago, Boss Hogg said:

Republicans do nothing because it’s a hard problem to fix and it’s good for riling up their base. The problem might be reaching level though that something has to be done. And you don’t ever want situations to ever where government has to “do something!”

R’s need something to hammer biden on

There's also an interesting dynamic I've read where since the republicans are out there saying how it's an open border, it's encouraging more people to make the desperate journey. If the gop weren't broadcasting that 24/7 for more than a generation it would very likely reduce the sheer volume of people coming. 

It's advertising so they can have a boogeyman they can hate

So, a little off topic but I saw some weird video of a guy who I think is a communist talk about his belief that both parties have completely sold out to big business.

Republicans align themselves publicly with big business because it fits their general platform. He argues that because Democrats can’t publicly align with big business very often, they have no choice but to constantly “fail” on many policies that would hurt their big business benefactors. 

The whole theory is probably bs, but it does make you think, considering where their reelection campaign funds come from. 

3 minutes ago, Captainant said:

There's also an interesting dynamic I've read where since the republicans are out there saying how it's an open border, it's encouraging more people to make the desperate journey. If the gop weren't broadcasting that 24/7 for more than a generation it would very likely reduce the sheer volume of people coming. 

It's advertising so they can have a boogeyman they can hate

There are plenty of non-republican groups in Central America saying it is. There are lots of uncles, aunts, sisters, brothers saying hey, this is how you do it. We will send you the cash. This is an economic issue in developing nations more than our border. And the numbers alone should tell you how bad it is.

4 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

So, a little off topic but I saw some weird video of a guy who I think is a communist talk about his belief that both parties have completely sold out to big business.

Republicans align themselves publicly with big business because it fits their general platform. He argues that because Democrats can’t publicly align with big business very often, they have no choice but to constantly “fail” on many policies that would hurt their big business benefactors. 

The whole theory is probably bs, but it does make you think, considering where their reelection campaign funds come from. 

What’s funny about that is then they blame capitalism when the government and politicians picking winners and losers isn’t capitalism. 

1 minute ago, InkaUtexas said:

There are plenty of non-republican groups in Central America saying it is. There are lots of uncles, aunts, sisters, brothers saying hey, this is how you do it. We will send you the cash. This is an economic issue in developing nations more than our border. And the numbers alone should tell you how bad it is.

We broke it back in the 70s and 80s with the CIAs zeal for regime change. Chickens are coming home to roost. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Captainant said:

We broke it back in the 70s and 80s with the CIAs zeal for regime change. Chickens are coming home to roost. 

No we did not. We broke it in the 1990's when we deported all the young salvadoran, honduran and guatemelan men who got to live in the US, were disconnected from their societies, and that is where the Mara's were born.

I am sure you read at a book at UT, but I happened to grow up in Central America, remain close to the community, and watch it closely. And just curious, what regimes did we change in Central America in the 1970-s and 1980's that were in our favor? I would say maybe the election of Arena in 1988, El Salvador, who then went on to sign peace accords, AND lost the next election tot he FMLN.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1