Overrated cast member

Best cast:

Worst cast:

Best host

Worst host:

Best skit:

Peak time period:

Rock bottom:

I'll be back with answers.  Have to think about some of these. 

Watched the first few seasons with my sister and eventually quit. One day I’m talking to her and she said a guy named Eddie Murphy was on it so I watched it until he left. Years later she said a guy named Will Ferrell was on it so I watched until he left. She hasn’t recommended it since 

• Hook 'Em 1

Dude above got the two best. Ferrell and Murphy. Most underrated is Tim Meadows. Second place, Will Forte. Worst cast member is a tie between a lot of people. I’ll go with Walken as the best host, just because how absurd that is. Best skit almost has to be Celebrity Jeopardy, for longevity. Personal favorite cast member is Farley or Norm MacDonald.

• Hook 'Em 2

Funniest thing that has happened to SNL in the last few years was when a funny guy got the gig, subsequently got cancelled because he said some questionable things in the past, and then dropped this zinger of an apology. He should have gotten re-hired for this response alone:

image.thumb.png.3a9c9ac86f90bb54a74e8f3f9a2e9bfb.png

4 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Peak Time: Coincidently, whenever responding poster was under 30.

Rock Bottom: Coincidently, from and after responding poster’s 40th birthday.

Nah. Not sure when the peak was but I'd probably say the Farley years. It was pretty funny through the 2000s and I think really fell off after that. Bill Hader leaving in 2013 kind of did it for me. 

The "peak years" might align more with people's ages but I hope no one 30 or under finds whatever garbage they are rolling out these days funny. 

35 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Funniest thing that has happened to SNL in the last few years was when a funny guy got the gig, subsequently got cancelled because he said some questionable things in the past, and then dropped this zinger of an apology. He should have gotten re-hired for this response alone:

image.thumb.png.3a9c9ac86f90bb54a74e8f3f9a2e9bfb.png

What's the zinger, Madtv reference?

• Hook 'Em 1

I got pretty lucky. I was 90's kid, and my parents always let me stay up late to watch it. I grew up on Farley, Sandler, Spade, Hartman, Mike Myers, Dana Carvey, Norm Macdonald and later Will Farrell. 

I think the best ages to enjoy the show are between 6th and 12th grades. If you're watching SNL in college, you're doing it wrong. 

Favorite cast member: Hartman 

Favorite Weekend Update host: Macdonald 

Favorite Weekend Update guest: Spade. He always killed in the Hollywood Minute. 

Favorite host: Walken. The Continental and More Cowbell are iconic sketches. 

• Hook 'Em 3

I enjoyed the Farley era and the Ferrell era. I thought the original cast was ground breaking, but it doesn't really hold up. For reference, I'm 60.

Probably my favorite cast member is Darrell Hammond. That guy was so versatilie.

Favorite skit might be canteen boy. Couldn't pull that one off today.

Rock bottom would be the Charles Rocket years.

• Hook 'Em 3

7 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

The Mad TV zinger. The last line. Did you miss that? That's hilarious and kinda ballsy in a burning bridge kind of way. 

He'd already been fired. There was no bridge to burn. Not ballsy. 

as with music, the body of work from a period in SNL history always seems great in retrospect once you've forgotten all of the garbage skits that made it onto the air alongside the classics.

Rock bottom has to be just prior to Eddie Murphy, and for me peak is somewhere in that early 90s window with Farley, Myers, Carvey, Hartman, Rock, Nealon, etc. Was Sandler on at the same time with all of those guys?

Underrated is probably the recentish cast that people still think of as new SNL and therefore garbage but was actually fairly good - Hader, Wiig, Forte, etc. Actually most underrated cast member could be Kenan Thompson. Kinda similar to Tim Meadows in that he's never been the absolute standout guy, but he's been on forever and is a critical utility player for the cast. He's been on since 2003, holy shit.

One severely under-appreciated bit of the broader SNL canon is the Macgruber movie. It seems impossible that a movie based on that skit premise could be any good, and it was pretty universally panned, and of course it is a very specific type of humor, but it's actually great

• Hook 'Em 2

The rock bottom for me was in the 80's, that one year that Anthony Michael Hall and Randy Quaid and Robert Downey Jr. had the worst sketches and didn't seem to care. Joan Cusack and Damon Wayons were also on that season for their one and only year.

Just googled it, 85-86 (season 11). Name a worse season, you can't.

Edited by DonkeyCigars
  • Hook 'Em 3

50 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

How about Darrell Hammond (sp?) for underrated?  

SNL also severely under utilized a lot of their talent.  Michael McKean, Jay Mohr, Chris Rock, etc

makes sense that he couldn't shine there but Tim Robinson as well

9 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

David Koechner is criminally underrated and was only on the show one season.  T-Bone the executioner is drop dead funny. 

I've always wondered why he hasn't had a better career. Only a few standouts but he's pretty damn funny in everything. His character in The Office is great. 

Favorite cast member:  Norm MacDonald

Least favorite cast member: Leslie Jones

Underrated cast member: Tim Meadows 

Overrated cast member: Jimmy Fallon

Best cast: very early 90s, when the Hartman/Carvey/Myers crew combined with the Farley/Spade/Sandler crew

Worst cast: probably that year in the mid 80s after Eddie Murphy left when they almost got cancelled and then had to completely reboot the next year

Best host: Alec Baldwin 

Worst host:  January Jones (a bunch of non-actors have probably technically been worse, but she was shockingly bad for a pro)

Best skit:  Will Ferrell as Mr. Tarkanian the evil boss circa 1999 / 2000

Peak time period: same as best cast

Rock bottom: same as worst cast, although right before Trump came along to basically gift them material was also pretty bleak, and so is now post-Trump 

Edited by longhornmatt
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

On 9/14/2021 at 9:48 PM, longhornmatt said:

Best cast: very early 90s, when the Hartman/Carvey/Myers crew combined with the Farley/Spade/Sandler crew

Worst cast: probably that year in the mid 80s after Eddie Murphy left when they almost got cancelled and then had to completely reboot the next year

Worst host:  January Jones (a bunch of non-actors have probably technically been worse, but she was shockingly bad for a pro)

Rock bottom: same as worst cast, although right before Trump came along to basically gift them material was also pretty bleak, and so is now post-Trump 

We're probably the same age.  I agree with most of this.  How about Horatio Sanz as underrated?

I was going to post another Will skit, but this was awesome.

Favorite cast member: Probably Norm, followed by Spade, Farley, Sandler, Will Ferrell.

Least favorite cast member: Anyone that appeared when I wasn't about 11-17.

Underrated cast member: 

Overrated cast member: Jimmy Fallon, Andy Samberg

Best cast:

Worst cast:

Best host: Manning for giving it his all as a non-actor.

Worst host:

Best skit: Lay off me I'm starving, Schlitt's Gay, Buh Bye, Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer.

Peak time period:

Rock bottom:

• Hook 'Em 1

There's too many skits that qualify as best for me but two of my favorites are the men's synchronized swimmers and the Zagat's restaurant guide. Martin Short sitting on the couch in a tracksuit slowly nodding just about makes me piss myself. And Farley was from another planet. I don't know if there will ever be another physical comedian on SNL that can match that dude's intensity. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

On 9/14/2021 at 11:48 PM, longhornmatt said:

1984-1985. Famous for being the lone Martin Short year. Lorne begging Marty Short to bail him out must have been an entertaining conversation. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

1984-1985. Famous for being the lone Martin Short year. Lorne begging Marty Short to bail him out must have been an entertaining conversation. 

I see.  I thought there was a whole year between Murphy and Piscopo leaving and the Martin Short, Billy Crystal and Christopher Guest crew arriving, but it looks like that was only a half season.   The worst was that period after Eddie but before Martin Short.  Then after Martin Short when they added like Randy Quaid and Anthony Michael Hall was also worse than the Martin Short year.  It didn’t really get good again after Eddie until the Hartman, Carvey, Jon Lovitz and Dennis Miller cast showed up, though.

6 hours ago, smuggs said:

There's too many skits that qualify as best for me but two of my favorites are the men's synchronized swimmers and the Zagat's restaurant guide. Martin Short sitting on the couch in a tracksuit slowly nodding just about makes me piss myself. And Farley was from another planet. I don't know if there will ever be another physical comedian on SNL that can match that dude's intensity. 

Those couple of years with Short, Billy Crystal, Christopher Guest, etc. we're sneaky good. That cast kinda gets lost in the discussions. 

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I assume this halted his movie career and SNL was his best/most accommodating option at the time? 

They wanted AMH back but he wanted to do Weird Science instead. He chose wisely.