non-Texas BBQ

phdhorn

2 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Martin’s in Nashville was solid. I was underwhelmed by Central in Memphis. BurnCo in Tulsa is really good.

I remember liking Central a couple of years ago, did half wet half dry. 

I was also shocked when walking up, I was like... that's the Lorraine Motel, we need to check that out. I just hadn't researched that Central was right next door.

• 2 weeks later...

Took the family to Central Coast California for spring break and was curious to check out “Santa Maria-style BBQ”. Got a signature tri-tip sandwich at a place in San Luis Obispo.

It was...OK. I realize I am blessed/spoiled to live in Texas.

a4ad8ba95d0ff9999212647649e1c2f0.jpg

On 3/12/2019 at 12:13 AM, mdleast said:

Took the family to Central Coast California for spring break and was curious to check out “Santa Maria-style BBQ”. Got a signature tri-tip sandwich at a place in San Luis Obispo.

That Tri-Tip is way overdone. Good tri-tip is best at medium rare.

• Like 2

On 2/25/2019 at 6:15 PM, Sam Lin said:

Saw this article, thought of this thread. One of very few BBQ places in Thailand:

https://www.chowtraveller.com/ash-kickers-bbq-bangkok/

At least they have homemade pickles...

Holy fuck that place is pricey. It looks great but $25 for a brisket plate with two sides is a bit much in a 2nd world country.  The beef ribs work out to roughly $40/lbs. Jesus Christ.  

11 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Holy fuck that place is pricey. It looks great but $25 for a brisket plate with two sides is a bit much in a 2nd world country.  The beef ribs work out to roughly $40/lbs. Jesus Christ.  

I would guess good beef is expensive in Thailand, no?

Just look at how much cheaper the pork is. 

4 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

*not a second world country

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/12/2019 at 12:13 AM, mdleast said:

Mmmmm...Steak-Um.

On 2/25/2019 at 6:25 PM, EE2B said:

Two guys I work with had to go to Charleston for a conference. I tried to convince them to travel the .5 mile from their hotel to Lewis BBQ. They did not listen.
/soniamdissapoint.jpg

My nephew in Charleston endorses this place and eats there weekly.  He says Lewis has the closest thing to Texas barbecue he has found on the east coast.

• 11 months later...
3 minutes ago, AustinMT said:

Wright’s in Fayetteville, AR.  Very much central Texas style instead of “Southern” style, except for the beans — more liked baked beans, though done on the smoker).  Eaten here 3 times and it’s always good:

spacer.png

That looks pretty damn good. Not sure about the shell-style mac and cheese. Beans look dern tasty though.

• 1 year later...
On 5/15/2018 at 2:47 PM, Elvis Presto said:

Rodney Scott's here in Charleston is good whole hog but i always find myself just going to Lewis bbq and getting brisket.   They do have some damn good wings out here at a couple of different spots. 

We're headed to SC, but no where close to Charleston.  Going to try Rodney Scott's Birmingham, AL location on the way.  Once we are in and around Greenville, I will attempt to find the city's best whole hog/pulled pork barbecue.

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

Just got home from a week in Maine. If you are there long enough to get tired of seafood, this place in Kittery is a great change of pace. It was my brothers birthday and this is where he chose to go.

https://www.orenellsbbq.com/

Maybe @Captain Ron or one of the other New England Surlyites with better bona fides than I have can back me up.

• Like 1

I lived in California and got drug to tritip joints all over. It’s big in the Santa Barbara rancho country.

Here’s the difference between brisket and tritip. Brisket is a shit cut of meat that cooked properly becomes an ethereal experience. Tritip is a shit cut of meat that regardless of how it’s cooked, smoked, braised, whatever it remains a tough flavorless shitslug. I’ve had it at the Hitchin Post which is like the Franklin’s of Santa Maria grilling. My belt would have been more tender.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

I lived in California and got drug to tritip joints all over. It’s big in the Santa Barbara rancho country.

Here’s the difference between brisket and tritip. Brisket is a shit cut of meat that cooked properly becomes an ethereal experience. Tritip is a shit cut of meat that regardless of how it’s cooked, smoked, braised, whatever it remains a tough flavorless shitslug. I’ve had it at the Hitchin Post which is like the Franklin’s of Santa Maria grilling. My belt would have been more tender.

Funny that you mention the Hitchin Post as I had that on my radar to try next time I am out that way and figured that would be less of a disapointing tri-tip experience.  Maybe not thought?  The thing is, doing tri-tip on my WSM is one of my favorite meats to smoke.  I realize that doing one or two (just the meat - I don't bother making it into a sandwich) for myself is way easier to maintain quality vs. having to exponentially more all day, every day but my dream is to have tri-tip out there that exceeds my WSM product.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, mdleast said:

Funny that you mention the Hitchin Post as I had that on my radar to try next time I am out that way and figured that would be less of a disapointing tri-tip experience.  Maybe not thought?  The thing is, doing tri-tip on my WSM is one of my favorite meats to smoke.  I realize that doing one or two (just the meat - I don't bother making it into a sandwich) for myself is way easier to maintain quality vs. having to exponentially more all day, every day but my dream is to have tri-tip out there that exceeds my WSM product.

I love tritip on my BGE. Cheap, quick smoke. Its not brisket but it's good.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/6/2023 at 10:28 AM, Shoxthemonkey said:

Just got home from a week in Maine. If you are there long enough to get tired of seafood, this place in Kittery is a great change of pace. It was my brothers birthday and this is where he chose to go.

https://www.orenellsbbq.com/

Maybe @Captain Ron or one of the other New England Surlyites with better bona fides than I have can back me up.

Interesting find. Unless I make it myself, I have never found any BBQ of merit up here. I mean there is some passable stuff, but these places all lack consistency.

i will certainly take a peak at that place next time I head up that way, it's not far from here.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2023 at 11:20 AM, Patricio Swayze said:

Central had a big line when I went years back. I stuck it out because everyone raved about it. What an underwhelming meal that was. Not making that mistake again.

I agree RE Central.  It was fine, and it was across the street from the Civil Rights Memorial so it was convenient, but I've had (much) better BBQ in Des Moines.

I make better pulled pork from my own hogs.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

It’s been a few years since I’ve been back to Memphis. Spoke to some friends there regarding Central BBQ and the consensus is that the same malady has struck them that hits most bbq joints that expand. That the place has gone from great to average since they expanded their operation in Memphis to six stores and now joints in Nashville and Fayetteville.

I am assured that the family has kept my favorite joint for pulled pork, Payne’s, true to the original recipe. For ribs they point to Elwoods Shack, Melissa Cookston’s Memphis Barbecue Co, and Germantown Commissary.

• 2 months later...

I propose that anymore click bait that doesn't list Texas spots filling up the top 10 of any barbecue list should be added here.  We all know those lists are crap.  

We need to keep our wonderful Texas barbecue thread filled with recommendations and pictures of beautiful barbecue from the Lone Star State.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1