College basketball coaching carousel: 2024 edition

Machinator

As a long-time IU fan, my knee jerk reaction is to say that the IU administration could fuck up a wet dream and to prepare for the worst. However, the new AD is an alum and has worked for IU his entire life, also won a ring in '87 as a BB student manager. He got FB coach Tom Allen a well deserved (IMO) raise. Maybe he's the one to get this shit straightened out.

2 hours ago, Sandman said:

I can't see Beard leaving TT. He's spent 15 years of his life there, has family there. Why uproot for a rebuild job in a place that has no patience for a rebuild? Unless he's a masochist. 

I think some of that's wishful thinking. Indiana doesn't have "patience" because in college basketball, rebuilding doesn't take more than three years. Example, Texas Tech under Chris Beard. There are plenty of reasons for him to stay but this idea that Indiana is going to shoot him out of the saddle before he gets a fair shot is silly.

If you're right, though, then maybe Indiana will prefer Oats since he's got Alabama on the cusp of the top line in his second season. 

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Oats already told Indiana no.

He has a team preparing for the NCAAs, of course he said no. If they're patient, he hasn't really told them no. The buyout is probably prohibitive, though, and it doesn't fit to walk Miller out the door and then sit on their ass for three weeks waiting for Alabama to lose. 

edit, mentioning him was somewhat tongue-in-cheek anyway if you look at what I was responding to. 

Edited by SwanderedTalent

Just now, Underdog said:

I’d give a Beilein a call.  Shit, I hope UK gives him a call. 

My issue with Beilein is the same with all of these once-great coaches who get out of the college game (Stevens, Beilein, Donovan): do they still have the fire to recruit, and do they have the tolerance for all the bullshit that pervades the sport? Because the answer to both questions is not an unequivocal "yes," you're trying to hire a big-time name rather than a big-time coach.

Just now, SwanderedTalent said:

He has a team preparing for the NCAAs, of course he said no. If they're patient, he hasn't really told them no. The buyout is probably prohibitive, though, and it doesn't fit to walk Miller out the door and then sit on their ass for three weeks waiting for Alabama to lose. 

It's this one.

59 minutes ago, Machinator said:

It's this one.

Right. Indiana says it raised private funds to buy out Miller's contract, which at 100% would have cost them around $10m, and they mentioned the COVID related financial pressures the athletic department is under when they announced the move. Oats' buyout is (going off memory) almost twice what they are on the hook to pay Miller. I don't see how they could do it, and based on one strong season I don't see how Indiana could spend $30 million to bring him on even if he had a crimson-and-cream striped hard-on. 

If Thad Matta had taken a job last year and gone 24-6 and been a 2 seed, maybe. 

Indiana fired Tom Crean months before Ohio State fired Thad Matta. Gene Smith is lucky IU moved on Archie Miller first and didn’t go after Chris Holtmann at Butler. Everyone in Buckeye Nation thought that Archie would eventually wind up at tOSU and, if IU had hired Holtmann, he probably would have. Heck, if the Hoosiers had hired anyone else, he probably would have. That would’ve been a very popular hire. 

4 hours ago, Machinator said:

My issue with Beilein is the same with all of these once-great coaches who get out of the college game (Stevens, Beilein, Donovan): do they still have the fire to recruit, and do they have the tolerance for all the bullshit that pervades the sport? Because the answer to both questions is not an unequivocal "yes," you're trying to hire a big-time name rather than a big-time coach.

My biggest issue with Beilein would be that he's damn near 70. If I'm an AD, I'm looking for someone that if successful could be around for awhile. 

47 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Now that kinda surprises me... both Prohm getting canned and ISU be willing to pay the 3 mil buyout.. Was thinking both would not happen due to COVID cashflow problems... That being said 0-18... dead man walking most years.

Maybe just niave about what schools are willing to do post COVID

4 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I think some of that's wishful thinking. Indiana doesn't have "patience" because in college basketball, rebuilding doesn't take more than three years. Example, Texas Tech under Chris Beard. There are plenty of reasons for him to stay but this idea that Indiana is going to shoot him out of the saddle before he gets a fair shot is silly.

If you're right, though, then maybe Indiana will prefer Oats since he's got Alabama on the cusp of the top line in his second season. 

Sorry, I didn't mean the admin has no patience, I mean the boosters, etc. They irrationally think IU should be in the Elite Eight every year. It's a grinder of a job, why do it if you have no connections and already make good money? I just don't think he sees an upside to leaving TT for Bloomington.

27 minutes ago, Sandman said:

I just don't think he sees an upside to leaving TT for Bloomington.

Agree with that. It's not the right time for him to assume he's hit his ceiling at Tech, and if he does decide that, he can do better than a program that has had such a hard time competing at its expected peak for nearly thirty years. Their 1993 team might have won the national title if Alan Henderson hadn't gotten hurt, and after that Knight never had another national contender. Mike Davis had a fluky run to the final in 2002, and then what was their best season since then-- Crean made one Sweet 16? 

Beard should sit tight, see if he can get Tech to Baylor's level, and if for some reason it doesn't happen, he can always move on to an actual current-day blueblood. I love Indiana's tradition, but that's clearly not helping them win anymore.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Laxtonto said:

Now that kinda surprises me... both Prohm getting canned and ISU be willing to pay the 3 mil buyout.. Was thinking both would not happen due to COVID cashflow problems... That being said 0-18... dead man walking most years.

Maybe just niave about what schools are willing to do post COVID

It was less 0-18 than the 4 year trend:

17-18:  13-18 (4-17 Big 12)

18-19:  23-12 (9-9 Big 12; Big 12 tournament champs)

19-20:  12-19 (5-13 Big 12)

20-21:  2-22 (0-18 Big 12)

That '18-'19 team was a massive disappointment as well.  On February 14th of that year, they were 7-3 in the league with a win over Tech in Lubbock under their belts.  They were rated 17th nationally.  They finished the conference season on a 2-6 slide that featured getting swept by TCU, and a blowout road loss to the worst WVU squad of the Big 12 era.  They rallied for a couple days in March, and shit the bed in the Dance.  That team had 3 NBA players on it.

This program has been in a rough spot for awhile.  I just think last year's cancelling of the tournament kinda took people's minds of college basketball a bit.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

It was less 0-18 than the 4 year trend:

17-18:  13-18 (4-17 Big 12)

18-19:  23-12 (9-9 Big 12; Big 12 tournament champs)

19-20:  12-19 (5-13 Big 12)

20-21:  2-22 (0-18 Big 12)

That '18-'19 team was a massive disappointment as well.  On February 14th of that year, they were 7-3 in the league with a win over Tech in Lubbock under their belts.  They were rated 17th nationally.  They finished the conference season on a 2-6 slide that featured getting swept by TCU, and a blowout road loss to the worst WVU squad of the Big 12 era.  They rallied for a couple days in March, and shit the bed in the Dance.  That team had 3 NBA players on it.

This program has been in a rough spot for awhile.  I just think last year's cancelling of the tournament kinda took people's minds of college basketball a bit.

Yeah that certainly looks like failed expectations for ISU basketball and much worse than I remembered off the top of my head. On to the next guy.

15 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Yeah that certainly looks like failed expectations for ISU basketball and much worse than I remembered off the top of my head. On to the next guy.

Recent football success aside, any ISU fan over 30 likely still thinks of us as a basketball school first and puts a lot of importance on winning in Hilton, winning in Kansas City, and at least getting to the round of 32.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

So where does the IU job rank?  It is a program with SOME significant history, but it has been a long time since they have been relevant for any sustained period period.  But they are an afterthought in their own conference.  Mich, Mich St, OSU, Whisky are all much better programs, with Maryland, Illinois, and Purdue have better recent success.  To me rather than shooting for an elephant type coach, I think they'd be better off trying to find the diamond in the rough.  Not sure how you go about that though.

I’d say the fact that one booster footed the $10.5 million buyout and another said they themself will pay what it takes to get a new coach, they’re going to shoot hard for a win now guy and not a wait and see diamond in the rough. 

14 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

So where does the IU job rank?  It is a program with SOME significant history, but it has been a long time since they have been relevant for any sustained period period.  But they are an afterthought in their own conference.  Mich, Mich St, OSU, Whisky are all much better programs, with Maryland, Illinois, and Purdue have better recent success.  To me rather than shooting for an elephant type coach, I think they'd be better off trying to find the diamond in the rough.  Not sure how you go about that though.

The IU fanbase dramatically overestimates their current position within the college basketball landscape based on a spate of success decades ago. It will always be a pressure cooker of a job with impossible expectations, and new hires will never be given a full opportunity to succeed before impatient boosters begin calling for the coach's head, and the process will continue until all fans of a certain age are dead. 

I really wish there was a west coast analogue that I could point to - can you think of one? 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

The IU fanbase dramatically overestimates their current position within the college basketball landscape based on a spate of success decades ago. It will always be a pressure cooker of a job with impossible expectations, and new hires will never be given a full opportunity to succeed before impatient boosters begin calling for the coach's head, and the process will continue until all fans of a certain age are dead. 

I really wish there was a west coast analogue that I could point to - can you think of one? 

I would argue UCLA is a vastly superior program to IU.  3 FF's this century at least.  Regularly compete for the conference title.  Hell we had 3 Sweet 16's under Alford ('14, '15, '17) and still pull 5* recruits.  I would NOT equate IU with UCLA.

• Haha 1

In regards to Brad Stevens, one guy with supposed insider news put it this way: "The last time IU knocked on his door, no one answered. This time when IU knocked, they not only answered but invited them in.". They'd have to offer him 7MM/yr at least, not sure if he even wants to leave the NBA. But you don't get boosters to drop 10s of millions for a buyout and a new contract just to hire some up and comer. They've got to be aiming high.

Beilein is too old IMO, would've been a great choice 10 years ago. I've always liked Musselman. Stevens is my #1 choice, though. Make him say "No".

• Pancho changed the title to College basketball coaching carousel: 2024 edition