Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

16 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Also, is Brockermeyer being looked at as an OT or 4i?  Isn't he about 6'6 270 lbs.?

I'd assume he's a tackle if he's already that big as a sophomore.  It'll be good to have two brockermeyers on campus.  We need a Studdard, Blaylock and Neil as well

51 minutes ago, Acropora said:

I'd assume he's a tackle if he's already that big as a sophomore.  It'll be good to have two brockermeyers on campus.  We need a Studdard, Blaylock and Neil as well

I'm still holding out hope that David Neil will take a PWO spot and put on some weight to move to interior OL. Think a move to center could maximize his physical traits.

IT

JOJO EARLE

The do-it-all sophomore from Aledo showed why Texas offered last month. At 5-foot-9, 168, he's little but explosive. The slot, gadget-back possesses elite speed, quickness, hands, and versatility. It's no wonder the Longhorns staff jumped on him early. And they're leading the pack for the junior-to-be heading into the spring. I wonder if this is what Rondale Moore looked like in his sophomore campaign.

"(Texas) keeps in contact with me," said Earle. "They make sure I'm ok, make sure I'm having a good season, we talk about my role in the game plan. I really like how they're invested in me."

Texas has only offered a dozen or less 2021 prospects, and that exclusivity stands out to Earle.

"It's really exciting because when they told me they were offering, I thought 'I'm a sophomore getting offered by Texas.' That's a big accomplishment already.

Bryan Carrington and Rashad Samples head up this early pursuit, and when he took an unofficial for the Texas-Iowa State game in November, it got real.

"I loved it," Earle said. "That's the day they offered me. They brought me into the locker room and told me they wanted me. I loved the energy from the fans in the stadium. It was unreal. I love the locker room. Everything is so nice at UT."

Texas currently recruits him the hardest and it shows. Now, we just wait a little less than two years before he can put pen to paper.

SHADRACH BANKS

When North Shore’s Dematrius Davis found AJ Carter with his Hail Mary toss in the end zone to win the UIL 6A Division I state championship, the east side of Houston went crazy.

Without a doubt, it was one of the most exciting endings to a back-and-forth championship game between North Shore and Duncanville. Two of the elite teams in the state duked it out for 48 minutes, with the result unclear until the clock read 0:00.

Davis-to-Carter will live on for a long time in the state’s high school football history, but there were plenty of plays that helped set up the game for that point. North Shore sophomore Shadrach Banks’ had several of them.

Banks caught nine passes for 179 yards and two scores. Both of those touchdowns originated from his own side of the field, with one for 80 and the other for 51. 

“I want to give thanks to the o-line for blocking for the QB and allowing him to get me the ball,” Banks said postgame. “From there, I just took off. It was amazing.”

Duncanville keyed in on the Mustangs’ star running back Zach Evans. The Panthers had the talent and size on defense to try to force North Shore to beat them through the air. They were able to hold the talented back under 100 yards and kept him out of the end zone.

But Davis’ play picked up the slack through the air, and Banks was a big part in that. 

Banks also had a front row seat to the miracle final play. He went up for the catch but didn’t come down with it, but was exuberant to see his teammate with the ball in the end zone. 

“Somebody has to come up big,” Banks said on the play. “I thought I had it. Then I thought the defense had it. Then I saw my boy AJ (Carter) come down with it, and I already knew he was in when he caught it. I just went crazy.”

Banks is one of the limited number of players in the 2021 class Texas has sent an offer to. He said after the game “he really likes Texas” and visited for the USC game, but since the process is in the early stages for him he is still soaking in all the experiences.

Last spring, Banks only visited in-state schools. This spring, he told reporters he plans to look at some schools outside of the state lines.

From the 2019 thread.

OL Donovan Jackson, Bellaire Episcopal (2021) — “I can’t say I saw this coming. This was definitely a wake up call to reevaluate my recruitment. I always thought of Texas highly, but this is a win that I needed to reassure myself in what Coach (Tom) Herman is building.”

Break the Katy Taylor curse Coach Hand.

OL Hayden Conner, Katy Taylor (2021) — "I just sent Coach (Herb) Hand a text! Amazing win and will definitely open some eyes on what Texas is building. Happy for Elijah (Rodriguez) and the o-line and everything they accomplished this year." 

OL Bryce Foster, Katy Taylor (2021) — "They dominated upfront. Period. Bevo set the tone." 

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

OL Hayden Conner, Katy Taylor (2021) — "I just sent Coach (Herb) Hand a text! Amazing win and will definitely open some eyes on what Texas is building. Happy for Elijah (Rodriguez) and the o-line and everything they accomplished this year." 

OL Bryce Foster, Katy Taylor (2021) — "They dominated upfront. Period. Bevo set the tone." 

Getting the feeling more and more that these guys are leaning Texas. 

21 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Is he under the marvin/waddle, Willie guidance plan?

Rule #347 in the Surly Recruitnik Handbook states:

"If a player has 'Bellaire Episcopal' listed as his high school next to his name in his recruiting profile, assume that that player has a handler, probably named Willie Lyles, and that that handler is going to get paid straight cash, homey. *

*Unless the dude is lily white, born and bred in Bellaire. If that's the case and he doesn't suck, he's probably heading to Stanford."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/2/2019 at 10:43 AM, Elmer_Fudd said:

Foster won’t wait until his senior year to commit to Texas. He will pull the trigger early unless Hand leaves.

Conner is leaning hard to UT now, but will probably let his recruitment play out a little longer.

Unfortunately Jackson appears to slightly favor aggy or OOS at this time, but is still pretty open.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, JerryHubbard said:

Foster won’t wait until his senior year to commit to Texas. He will pull the trigger early unless Hand leaves.

Conner is leaning hard to UT now, but will probably let his recruitment play out a little longer.

Unfortunately Jackson appears to slightly favor aggy or OOS at this time, but is still pretty open.

Jackson has a handler. I wish we could already stop following his fucking commitment and acting like we’re involved. 

7 minutes ago, Machinator said:

People followed Waddle's recruitment to the very end so might as well brace yourself for the inevitable.

Thanks, Clayton Williams. 

It’s probably a character flaw, but at no point so far in my life have I just laid down and braced myself “for the inevitable”. I think instead, I’ve got an entertaining thought around handling the handled recruitments going forward on this board. 

• Like 1

Just now, Elmer_Fudd said:

If we were to somehow pull off getting the 2 Katy Taylor kids then missing out on Jackson wouldn't be that bad.  Brockermeyer will be a top 100 national player at OT.  Long ways to go though with 2021 guys.

I'd say get Glass since he's a decent RB, and I'm sure that will help. He's not a scrub, so it's not like we're getting him just for those two. It's a win-win 

19 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

If we were to somehow pull off getting the 2 Katy Taylor kids then missing out on Jackson wouldn't be that bad.  Brockermeyer will be a top 100 national player at OT.  Long ways to go though with 2021 guys.

There's also Fatheree and Cade