Tell Me About Texas a&m

MrPhlegm

The Houston Texans drafted former Texas A&M 12th man Cullen Gillaspia in the seventh round of the 2019 NFL Draft.

In 2 years with the Texans, he has recorded 1 catch for 6 yards. He also has 8 total tackles while playing on special teams.

Cut him.

They drafted him? Why not an invite?

• Replies 72k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

1 hour ago, Dennis Taylor said:

So corona giveth (Football ends up with a cakewalk schedule) and taketh away (basketball, apparently)

Stupid sip,

Every young athlete dreaming of going to the NBA knows he can go to A&M, instantly get playing time, and become a national sensation not just playing on the biggest stage in all of college basketball, but by awakening the sleeping giant. 

Shaka still has to worry about one (or more) of his players suffering a career-ending injury playing tournament games this spring. 

Advantage aggy. 

1 hour ago, Randolph Duke said:

Stupid sip,

Every young athlete dreaming of going to the NBA knows he can go to A&M, instantly get playing time, and become a national sensation not just playing on the biggest stage in all of college basketball, but by awakening the sleeping giant. 

Shaka still has to worry about one (or more) of his players suffering a career-ending injury playing tournament games this spring. 

Advantage aggy. 

Rip Van Winkle took a little catnap compared to how long that 'giant' has been sleeping. I think it's safe to call it a coma...you pick the sport 

On 2/28/2021 at 2:47 PM, Randolph Duke said:

Jimbo and Nick Saban are both from WVa. That's not Nick Saban in the picture with Jimbo. It's Jimbo's mom in front of Jimbo's boyhood home. I love the landscaping. The telephone pole in the front yard adds a lot. I'm thinking Jimbo had the aggys re-landscape his mom's property. It looks like it was landscaped by an aggy.

And yes, the whole Fisher family is shorter than 4 feet tall and they only shop for clothes at Walmart.

jimbo boyhood home.jpeg

Okay, I've looked at this a little bit. Imagine the roof gone and the front porch removed. what do you see?

spacer.png

I think he put a fancy roof and porch on a pre-fab. The dormer is just glued on.

Jimbo makes $7.5M and bought his mom a mobile home. WHOOP!

• Hook 'Em 1

Okay, I've looked at this a little bit. Imagine the roof gone and the front porch removed. what do you see?
4a5f3e08-6feb-4f45-a9c2-f363564627ac.jpg?width=1015
I think he put a fancy roof and porch on a pre-fab. The dormer is just glued on.
Jimbo makes $7.5M and bought his mom a mobile home. WHOOP!
waste not want not. his mom is prolly used to it.
she used to live in a hole in the ground.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Not the first time this idiot has posted stuff like this.

Ah, yes. Matt Dumbfuck. He’s heard tales passed down for generations about when Texas A&M won their only national championship. Rumors are there may even be lithographs of the event. 

Edited by Tex Pete

8 minutes ago, Fug said:

<2OZ, let the guy off, surprised this even made its way to the public.

It's an arrest. They always get made public.

We've certainly had our share of dumb arrest stories make the news over the years. Errick Lynne/Ricky Williams arrest ON CAMPUS in a Heisman year comes to mind.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

A&M's athletics department mantra is basically, 'Where the SEC goes and wins, A&M goes and wins too...even if we weren't there to begin with.  And if we were, we probably lost.'  So it's only fitting that Aggies passionately attach themselves to the Qanon doctrine of "Where we go one, we go all."  It's the perfect movement for the perpetually under-achieving has-beens of Texas.  I finally see the connection.  

1 hour ago, lemonandaturd said:

Jimbo is going to have Terry Price cook some BBQ for CSPD like Rumlin's meet and greet party.  

"Sorry, coach. It really wasn't intentional. I mean, c'mon, he is black, and this is College Station."

"I understand, but..."

On 2/28/2021 at 2:47 PM, Randolph Duke said:

Jimbo and Nick Saban are both from WVa. That's not Nick Saban in the picture with Jimbo. It's Jimbo's mom in front of Jimbo's boyhood home. I love the landscaping. The telephone pole in the front yard adds a lot. I'm thinking Jimbo had the aggys re-landscape his mom's property. It looks like it was landscaped by an aggy.

And yes, the whole Fisher family is shorter than 4 feet tall and they only shop for clothes at Walmart.

jimbo boyhood home.jpeg

Well, to be honest, you fellas may have grown up a bit wealthier than me, but I think me and my siblings would have had a pretty good time growing up in that house.  Looks like lots of area to explore beyond the house.  Sure, if you venture too far off, you get raped and eaten by moonshiners, but a pool is a pool. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

What. A. Badass 
The better is OP talking to DD in a forum like he reads it.

But yea, on the badass. Donuts in the parking lot. I simply could not imagine even at a wedding in jasper tx seeing that happening. First who would do that and second is that even something you can get arrested for at a private venue?

It's aggy, and he is lying. And not just the donut part. All of it. Maybe that afternoon before the wedding he helped visitor fans find the stadium.
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, markstanco said:

Maybe that afternoon before the wedding he helped visitor fans find the stadium.

I actually doubt it. In my experience, aggie fans are complete assholes to visiting fans. Of course they’re worst to Texas fans, but I went to a game there where Sam Houston was the visiting team, and they were classless assholes that night, too.

And who can forget them spitting on Prairie View fans? Of course that could have just been because they’re racists. Then again, I bet Daniel Joseph Figurelli would do much worse to black fans than just spit on them if he felt empowered by all the white supremacists in his section. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

I actually doubt it. In my experience, aggie fans are complete assholes to visiting fans. Of course they’re worst to Texas fans, but I went to a game there where Sam Houston was the visiting team, and they were classless assholes that night, too.

And who can forget them spitting on Prairie View fans? Of course that could have just been because they’re racists. Then again, I bet Daniel Joseph Figurelli would do much worse to black fans than just spit on them if he felt empowered by all the white supremacists in his section. 

No no no, you've got it all wrong.  There are lots of examples of fans posting how nice aggy was to them when they visited Collie Station and couldn't find the stadium 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

No no no, you've got it all wrong.  There are lots of examples of fans posting how nice aggy was to them when they visited Collie Station and couldn't find the stadium 

I’m still not sure if my favorite “visiting fan” letter was the Auburn fan (2013?) who parked his car to go to the game and got lost seven separate times while trying to find where the largest building within a 100 mile radius was located, or the Florida fan (2019) who was such a Gator fan he travelled 1,500 miles to see his team play but after an instant within the confines of Kyle field dropped his allegiance to his team and started cheering for A&M because “A&M deserved the win more than UF.”

Only the childlike aggy mentality could fabricate such utter bullshit. 

I’m sure it is only a matter of time until they christen their sacred monument honoring the aggys of the A&M vaccine facility that was the only facility in the world to manufacture the vaccine that saved mankind from Covid. 

If you see an aggy today, remember to thank them for all they have selflessly done for you. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

I see aggy is finally getting ready, a year after most others,  to crank up production of a Covid vaccine in partnership with FujiFilm. Guess they ran out of Polaroid film.

Unless I have been misinformed, the A&M facility was built to produce biologic vaccines. Its technology isn't capable of manufacturing RNA vaccines. Had the vaccine for Covid been a biologic vaccine, the potential surge capacity of the A&M facility would probably have been accessed.

However, as with many things involving Texas A&M, technological advancements developed at other universities produced the RNA vaccine. The A&M facility has been contracted to produce bulk precursors to the vaccine, not the vaccine itself. There is already sufficient global capacity to manufacture the mRNA vaccine. The bulk precursors are what are in short supply.

And, as sufficient supplies of vaccine for U.S residents have already been secured (largely in Belgium, of all places), the precursors produced at the A&M facility will probably be mostly used by third world countries.

Which is kind of ironic, if you think about it - a third-world locale (College Station, Texas) helping produce raw materials for third-world nations.

The third-world circle of life.

I have to look through my files to give all the details, but over the years UT students have also stolen a few mascots. Often with unfortunate results.

UT students stole the wrong SMU mascot one year. Another year they broke into Baylor's bear enclosure to steal a bear cub. The cub wasn't in the mood to be stolen that evening, so the student bashed it over the head with an implement cracking its skull, which lead to its death (Baylor faithful were quite displeased).

And then there is the story of when the UT band members helped Neil Sheffield steal Reveille. 

https://web.archive.org/web/20070812003645/http://media.www.dailytexanonline.com/media/storage/paper410/news/2007/04/24/LifeArts/Ut.Grad.Steals.Aggie.Mascot.Tells.Epic.Story-2876589.shtml

Texas SMU wrong peruna.jpeg

Edited by Randolph Duke

9 hours ago, Armybrat said:

I see aggy is finally getting ready, a year after most others,  to crank up production of a Covid vaccine in partnership with FujiFilm. Guess they ran out of Polaroid film.

I thought it was Eastman-Kodak that was gonna manufacture the Covid-19 vaccine?  If A&M is/was involved, I have no doubt they fucked it up.  

"Where we go one...we go all...SEC!  SEC!  SEC!"  

Here is an update on Mike Bynum's "12th Man copyright" litigation against A&M. The related civil case is still active in USDC SDTX and progressing swimmingly.

‘Canada Hockey’ Tests the Limits on State Sovereign Immunity for Copyright Infringement

'Canada Hockey v. Texas A&M University', now pending in the Fifth Circuit, presents the question of whether there are any circumstances under which a state actor can be held liable for infringement. Did “by no means always” really mean “never”? And, if not, where is the line?

By Benjamin E. Marks and Rachel Kaplowitz |

New York Law Journal, March 19, 2021

The Supreme Court recently asked: “When does the Fourteenth Amendment care about copyright infringement?” Allen v. Cooper, 140 S. Ct. 994, 1004 (2020). The court’s answer evinced a degree of ambivalence: “Sometimes, no doubt … [b]ut even if sometimes, by no means always.” Id. Allen involved copyright infringement claims brought by a videographer against Gov. Roy Cooper of North Carolina and other state defendants arising out of North Carolina’s publication of the plaintiff’s photographs and videos of a pirate shipwreck discovered off of North Carolina’s coast. The defendants moved to dismiss on the basis of sovereign immunity.         The court held that the Copyright Remedy Clarification Act (CRCA)—which provides that states and their officers “shall not be immune” from copyright infringement suits in federal court—had not validly abrogated state actors’ Eleventh Amendment sovereign immunity for all instances of copyright infringement and, accordingly, affirmed the dismissal. Id. at 1001, 1007. While Allen established that States may not always be held accountable for copyright infringement, it stopped short of declaring that States can never be held liable. Canada Hockey v. Texas A&M University, now pending in the Fifth Circuit, presents the question of whether there are any circumstances under which a state actor can be held liable for infringement. Did “by no means always” really mean “never”? And, if not, where is the line?

The Limits on Congress’s Power To Abrogate State Sovereign Immunity

Ratified in 1795, the Eleventh Amendment and the immunity it provides to states were intended to protect the integrity of our then-fledgling nation’s dual sovereign system and to prevent the federal government from trampling state power. However, Congress can pierce “the shield of sovereign immunity” in order to enforce due process rights protected by the Fourteenth Amendment. Fitzpatrick v Bitzer, 427 U.S. 445, 448 (1976). Section 5 of the Fourteenth Amendment gives Congress the “power to enforce, by appropriate legislation, the provisions of this article.” And Section 1 of the Amendment prohibits states from, among other things, “depriv[ing] any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law.” To exercise its Section 5 power to subject states to liability, Congress must “unequivocally express its intention to abrogate the Eleventh Amendment bar to suits against the States in federal court.” Atascadero State Hospital v. Scanlon, 473 U.S. 234, 242 (1985). Congress can do so prophylactically—via statutes holding states liable for conduct in the neighborhood of a constitutional violation, even if not an actual violation—as long as the statute is “congruent and proportional” to the targeted constitutional violation. Bd. of Trs. of the Univ. of Ala. v. Garrett, 531 U.S. 356, 374 (2001). Separately, Congress can abrogate sovereign immunity when there is an actual violation, without regard to congruence or proportionality. United States v. Georgia, 546 U.S. 151 (2006).

In 1987, Congress commissioned the Register of Copyrights to “assess the nature and extent of the clash between the Eleventh Amendment and the federal copyright law,” the interplay of which had been treated inconsistently by the lower courts. Letter from Reps. Robert W. Kastenmeier & Carlos Moorhead, H Subcomm. on Courts, Civil Liberties, and the Admin. of Justice, to Ralph Oman, Register of Copyrights (Aug. 3, 1987); compare Mills Music v. State of Ariz., 591 F.2d 1278, 1286 (9th Cir. 1979) (holding that money damages for state copyright infringement did not contravene the Eleventh Amendment), with Wihtol v. Crow, 309 F.2d 777 (8th Cir. 1962) (holding the opposite). Finding that the Register’s Report and related testimony had revealed an intolerable pattern of copyright infringement by state actors, Congress passed the CRCA in 1990, expressly clarifying that “[a]ny State … shall not be immune, under the Eleventh Amendment … from suit in Federal court by any person … for a violation of any of the exclusive rights of a copyright owner,” and shall be subject to liability “in the same manner and to the same extent as any nongovernmental entity.” 17 U.S.C. 511(a); 17 U.S.C. 501(a).

In Allen, the Supreme Court held that the CRCA’s prophylactic reach against any violation of copyright law was too broad, i.e., it was not congruent and proportional to a targeted constitutional violation. Allen, 140 S. Ct. at 1007. But Allen did not limit whether the CRCA may apply to remedy actual violations of the Fourteenth Amendment.       That issue is now before the Fifth Circuit in Canada Hockey.

‘Canada Hockey’ and Its Ramifications

In Canada Hockey v. Texas A&M University Athletic Department, plaintiff-appellant Michael Bynum, a sports writer, alleged that his article on Texas A&M University’s “12th Man,” a football legend heavily marketed by the university, was deliberately infringed by the Texas A&M University (TAMU) Athletic Department. Canada Hockey v. Texas A&M Univ. Athletic Dep’t, No. 4:17-CV-181, 2020 WL 5345390, at *2 (S.D. Tex. Sept. 4, 2020). Bynum alleged that TAMU employees retyped his article, illegally removed his copyright management information, falsely claimed that the article was commissioned by the TAMU Athletic Department, and distributed the article without a license to several hundred thousand recipients as part of a massive fundraising campaign. Id. As a result, Bynum alleged, his copyright in the article was drained of its value.

The district court correctly recognized that Bynum’s constitutional rights were violated. Id. at 4, 7, 18. But it nonetheless held that state sovereign immunity protects TAMU—and any other state actor—from ever paying damages for its infringements, no matter how egregious or harmful to the copyright owner’s rights, and no matter how violative of Congress’ clear intention to promote the public interest by affording to copyright owners the statutory protections that provide economic incentives for creative endeavors.      The district court construed Allen’s pronouncement that the CRCA’s complete prophylactic abrogation is unconstitutional as a bar to all copyright infringement suits against states, even when constitutional rights are actually violated. Id. at 7, 18. Accordingly, it granted the state-actor defendants’ motion to dismiss the claims for money damages. Id. at 20.

Bynum and his amici contend this was a reversible error. This case, they contend, is bound by United States v. Georgia, not Allen.   In Georgia, the Supreme Court affirmed the right of a disabled inmate of the Georgia state prison system to sue the state Department of Corrections, among others, for money damages under Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act and the Eighth Amendment. Id. at 157. Because there was both a statutory violation and an independent Fourteenth Amendment violation, the court did not need to confront its thorny morass of prophylactic abrogation precedent and instead unanimously held that “[i]nsofar as Title II creates a private cause of action for damages against the States for conduct that actually violates the Fourteenth Amendment, Title II validly abrogates state sovereign immunity.” Id. at 159. Allen did nothing to disturb this precedent. It addressed only Congress’ ability to “[go] beyond redressing actual constitutional violations.” Allen, 140 S. Ct. at 1004. Georgia thus charts a clear path for the Fifth Circuit to follow in Canada Hockey: While Allen held that the CRCA’s prophylactic abrogation of sovereign immunity in all copyright infringement cases was overreaching, Congress nonetheless had the power to abrogate sovereign immunity in cases brought to redress an actual constitutional violation.

If TAMU’s alleged infringement—clearly intentional, devastating to the value of Mr. Bynum’s work, and subject to no offer of redress by Texas—is not egregious enough to fall within the scope of whatever is left of the CRCA’s abrogation of sovereign immunity, it is difficult to imagine that there is anything left at all. If not now, when? And if a state actor could never be held to account for copyright infringement, then what?

Brazen infringement by a state actor, unfortunately, is far from an isolated occurrence. While state entities are significant consumers of a wide variety of copyrighted materials, copyright infringement by state actors has been on the rise over the past 20 years, and state universities and institutions of higher learning are among the leading culprits of infringement. See Copyright Alliance, Comment Letter on Sovereign Immunity Study: Notice and Request for Public Comment (June 3, 2020). Blanket immunity from suits for money damages would exacerbate the problem. A state university professor or other employee might freely email a file containing a full textbook (or any other work of fiction or nonfiction) to every student who registers for a course, to save the students the cost of the material. A state university instead might sell self-made copies of books at discounted rates, driving down their value while usurping for itself the proceeds of the labor of others. Perhaps, as Justice Breyer hypothesized at oral argument in Allen v. Cooper, a state could “with its own website, [be] charging $5 or something, [for] Rocky, Marvel, whatever, Spider-Man, and perhaps Groundhog Day.” Tr. of Oral Arg. at 36:18-23. If the dismissal of the claims in Canada Hockey were allowed to stand, Congress would need to act—and act swiftly—to craft new abrogation legislation that passes constitutional muster.

Benjamin E. Marks is head of Weil, Gotshal & Manges’s intellectual property & media practice. Rachel Kaplowitz is an associate in the firm’s intellectual property & media and complex commercial litigation practices. Weil represents the Association of American Publishers as an amicus in ‘Canada Hockey’.

On 3/20/2021 at 5:56 PM, Elmer_Fudd said:

Aggy baseball began conference play Thursday and ended today getting swept by Florida.

I didn't check, did looch ever revisit his comments about how Texas and all BDF teams would get smoked by any SECSECSEC team-- after Texas swept South Carolina two weekends back?

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

I didn't check, did looch ever revisit his comments about how Texas and all BDF teams would get smoked by any SECSECSEC team-- after Texas swept South Carolina two weekends back?

Haven't seen any, he's been to busy retweeting stuff about Texas losing to ACU.