The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

5 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

I had originally thought about the M1 Carbine before winding up buying the Ruger PC 9mm. Prices made me gun shy.

What is the best modern made reproduction M1 Carbine these days? I know Auto Ordnance makes some variations, but they start at $900+.

Yeah, that is the only one I can think of.  Funny, after the wars hundreds of thousands of them flooded the civilian market.  $20 a pop.  Had a bunch of friends who's parents and g-parents had multiple ones.  They were everywhere, and probably still are in many safes around the country as the AR wave passed them by.  

Had they have the forethought to add a shoulder to the .30carbine cartridge and neck it down to a 6mm, that's a revolutionary design.  

Posted this before, but my brother ordered one thru the NRA 60 years ago for $20 or $25... delivered to his front door. 
it turned out to be a brand new unissued Inland (IIRC) coated with cosmoline & still wrapped in the paper, with a cleaning tool & extra mag. He sold it later to a desperate friend for $100.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/3/2020 at 5:56 PM, Handcruser said:

For defensive purposes 9mm all the way.

Sig 320’s are great. See if you can find an X model - grip is better and trigger is better.

If you don’t have a Glock 19 in your collection you should.

CZ’s are great. I love them. P07 and P10C are in my collection and a shadow 2 is on deck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Okay, so I have found a Sig P320 x-Five Legion.  It is $999.  Then there is the Sig P320 xSeries XFull at $699.  Any thoughts on these?

24 minutes ago, TexasGary said:

Okay, so I have found a Sig P320 x-Five Legion.  It is $999.  Then there is the Sig P320 xSeries XFull at $699.  Any thoughts on these?

Legion is not worth the additional cost in my opinion.  They are fancier, but not $300 more for most shooters.  

Grabagun has the fde full and the Texas rangers edition full p320s for $699

https://grabagun.com/firearms/handguns/semi-automatic-handguns.html?manufacturer=Sig+Sauer&stock=1

Eurooptic has it for $599

https://www.eurooptic.com/Sig-Sauer-P320-9mm-36-X-Series-Black-Striker-Pistol-w-2-10Rd-Mags-320XC-9-BXR3-R.aspx?avad=211021_e1dd11ab1&utm_source=35987&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=avantlink

Grabagun has the fde full and the Texas rangers edition full p320s for $699

https://grabagun.com/firearms/handguns/semi-automatic-handguns.html?manufacturer=Sig+Sauer&stock=1

Eurooptic has it for $599

https://www.eurooptic.com/Sig-Sauer-P320-9mm-36-X-Series-Black-Striker-Pistol-w-2-10Rd-Mags-320XC-9-BXR3-R.aspx?avad=211021_e1dd11ab1&utm_source=35987&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=avantlink

Those are different guns.

M17/18 are not X and have safeties

The other is the compact that is Cali compliant.

6 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Man, how fun would it be restoring it and getting it back into working shape.  That's half the fun right there.  Modern .30 carbine ammo is much more advanced than the 110gr ball ammo the soldiers used.  Heavier, jacketed rounds have similar ballistics to a .357 Mag (ex. 110 Grain FTX Critical Defense round).  That's a heck of a ranch rifle or even home defense option.  

If you are a fan of carbines chambered in pistol calibers, it out-performs all the usual suspects.

. 30 Carbine 110 Grain FTX Critical Defense by Hornady

Velocity Muzzle: 2000 ft per second  / 977 Ft lbs of Energy

9mm +P 124 Grain XTP by Hornady

Velocity Muzzle: 1175 ft per second / 380 Ft lbs of Energy

.45 ACP +P 200 Grain XTP by Hornady

Velocity Muzzle: 1055 ft per second / 495 Ft lbs of Energy

Sexy bitch right here....

30carbAimpoint3.jpg?resize=750,386&ssl=1

I know I say this every time it comes up on this board, but my .30 carbine is still my favorite gun I own.  Fancy wildcat calibers with custom stocks, European glass, and tuned triggers all get pushed aside for the #1 in my heart. 

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Man, how fun would it be restoring it and getting it back into working shape.  That's half the fun right there.  Modern .30 carbine ammo is much more advanced than the 110gr ball ammo the soldiers used.  Heavier, jacketed rounds have similar ballistics to a .357 Mag (ex. 110 Grain FTX Critical Defense round).  That's a heck of a ranch rifle or even home defense option.  

If you are a fan of carbines chambered in pistol calibers, it out-performs all the usual suspects.

. 30 Carbine 110 Grain FTX Critical Defense by Hornady

Velocity Muzzle: 2000 ft per second  / 977 Ft lbs of Energy

9mm +P 124 Grain XTP by Hornady

Velocity Muzzle: 1175 ft per second / 380 Ft lbs of Energy

.45 ACP +P 200 Grain XTP by Hornady

Velocity Muzzle: 1055 ft per second / 495 Ft lbs of Energy

Sexy bitch right here....

30carbAimpoint3.jpg?resize=750,386&ssl=1

Yeah, I mean obviously I want one. But if you just want an easy shooting ranch carbine a 300 BLK probably makes more sense. I've never priced .30 Carbine, but I assume 300 BLK is easier to find and cheaper. The main reasons for having a pistol caliber carbine are so you can have a rifle that shoots the same ammo as your pistol and to have something reasonably effective against  varmints that is cheap to shoot.

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Yeah, I mean obviously I want one. But if you just want an easy shooting ranch carbine a 300 BLK probably makes more sense. I've never priced .30 Carbine, but I assume 300 BLK is easier to find and cheaper. The main reasons for having a pistol caliber carbine are so you can have a rifle that shoots the same ammo as your pistol and to have something reasonably effective against  varmints that is cheap to shoot.

100% across the board.  To me, it's the nostalgia, and this old girl needs a friend.  Just something about older, heavier, metal, wood, & spring rifles that is hard to explain.  Like driving an old muscle car vs a Porsche.  They can't compete on paper or on the track, but they just have "it".

*and the fact that Stephen Ambrose is easily one of my favorite authors and I have read every book he's ever written and watch Private Ryan and Band of Brothers yearly like they are Xmas movies. 

Garand.JPG

Edited by BabaYaga

4 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Just something about older, heavier, metal, wood, & spring rifles that is hard to explain.

Not only that, the action on mine is like butter.  It was the first “big” gun I shot as a kid.  And yes, the shells are expensive.   I don’t shoot it much anymore, but it’ll probably be the first “big” gun my oldest shoots in the next year or so.    

*note - I don’t do the AR thing (yet)  

• Hook 'Em 1

Novice here.  Have a 9mm I’d like to trade in for something smaller (want to go get concealed carry permit).

Taurus 9mm PT 92. Think I paid around $400 for it used a few years back. Should I just find a local gun dealer to look at trading in or is there somewhere else I should be looking at for selling it?

Be careful with Royal Tiger Imports (RTI).  They’re not know for their integrity with regard to firearm condition.

I’m in the trenches all the time looking for carbines and garands, along with ‘03 bolt guns and you can get a much better historical piece for the same money as an RTI piece of crap purported to be good to excellent.  If you want a period piece, expect to pay $800-$1200.  If you want a daily shooter to bag around or modify, you can buy a modern reproduction for less.

buyer be ware for sure with RTI, 

Edited by Reagan1k
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Enchubben said:

Novice here.  Have a 9mm I’d like to trade in for something smaller (want to go get concealed carry permit).

Taurus 9mm PT 92. Think I paid around $400 for it used a few years back. Should I just find a local gun dealer to look at trading in or is there somewhere else I should be looking at for selling it?

If there was ever a time to get a good value on a trade and buy, it’s right now. Any gun shop would love to swap with you and have you put a few bucks into the deal- provided they have inventory.  They know they could mark up and resell the Taurus in a few days or hours.

You could also sell it locally in a private sale and then go shopping.  If a shop has what you want through, a trade and buy would be faster and less hassle. 

Be careful with Royal Tiger Imports (RTI).  They’re not know for their integrity with regard to firearm condition.
I’m in the trenches all the time looking for carbines and garands, along with ‘03 bolt guns and you can get a much better historical piece for the same money as an RTI piece of crap purported to be good to excellent.  If you want a period piece, expect to pay $800-$1200.  If you want a daily shooter to bag around or modify, you can buy a modern reproduction for less.
buyer be ware for sure with RTI, 

What is an ‘03 bolt gun?

5 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

Sorry- Model 1903 Springfield .30 Gov’t ‘06

1st WW, replaced by garand in mid ‘30’s but still saw action in II and other conflicts through mid-century. 

May have posted this before but dad bought a couple of those - unfired still in cosmoline - for 5 bucks each in the 50's when he was in the Army. Sold one before he died for about 500 bucks. The other was converted to more traditional hunting rifle.

38 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

We bout to get fucked.

Highly unlikely. But manufacturers and dealers and the NRA are going to make a killing. It’s going to be like the good old days of Obama for them. Not being cloaky- the industry seems on-topic here and gun owners are sadly just a real easy mark.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, PilotsError said:

No CR, but I hope everyone is stocking up big time.

The gun counter at the Academy in North Frisco has consistently had 25 - 30 handguns for sale this entire time.  It is a newer and bigger store than the normal footprint so I think they get a little more stock than the other stores in the area.

This is a partial pic of their handgun section from Wednesday.  This was full on the Friday before the election.

counter.jpg

Edited by TexasGary

4 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Highly unlikely. But manufacturers and dealers and the NRA are going to make a killing. It’s going to be like the good old days of Obama for them. Not being cloaky- the industry seems on-topic here and gun owners are sadly just a real easy mark.

Well, read Biden’s “common sense gun safety” platform. There will be some infringements (restrictions) dictated. 

• Like 1

If they "win" the senate, it'll be more than infringement.
Obama never had all three.  

Agreed.

I’ve read his “plan” and it’s basically a big “fuck you” to the 2nd amendment and to gun owners. Sure, he’s not banning all guns, just some of them, plus things that go with them, and adding in difficulty in buying them and/or using them (ammo) wherever and however he possibly can.

At least we have the SC. For a while.

7 hours ago, TexasGary said:

The gun counter at the Academy in North Frisco has consistently had 25 - 30 handguns for sale this entire time.  It is a newer and bigger store than the normal footprint so I think they get a little more stock than the other stores in the area.

This is a partial pic of their handgun section from Wednesday.  This was full on the Friday before the election.

counter.jpg

Yeah, I’m sure Biden and AOC are totally coming for your Betsy Ross Heritage Rough Rider

2 hours ago, Fondren & Main said:

Lol, hopefully Texas tells them to go fuck themselves when they try.

To me what is concerning is that during the first stages of Covid, there were people in very liberal states trying to buy firearms in one day......how soon all of that will be forgotten and we push ahead with "common sense gunlaws".

4 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

Go read Biden's plan...

I have. Not worried. Other than the stuff where there’s broad agreement like expanded background checks and red flag laws, I don’t see him spending the political capital to the other stuff considering all the other problems he’s got. He spent 40 years in the senate. He knows how to count votes and is too smart to push bills that can’t pass. 
In other words- let’s tap the brakes. Fun is a great reason to buy a single action novelty revolver. Fear of some fantastical rollback of gun rights with a divided government amid a global pandemic and an economic crisis is not. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

A lot of crazy shit in there to be unpacked including the following:

End the online sale of firearms and ammunitions. Biden will enact legislation to prohibit all online sales of firearms, ammunition, kits, and gun parts.

hopefully @Bozo_Casanova is right and most of this was just election pandering. 

It's entirely possible that Ro Khanna or somebody like that introduces a bill or something but the chances of a Biden adminstration putting serious effort into it anytime soon is very low in my opinion, and the chance of it passing is -zero-.