2017-18 Dallas Mavericks: Bombing for Bamba

RexWilson

On 10/1/2018 at 10:53 PM, conVINCEd said:

He played a lot of basketball the last 2 years, more than any college player.  Once he finished his post-draft media blitz, the Mavs told him to go home, rest up, and get ready to go for training camp.  He didn’t actually move to Dallas until a month ago.  Check out his Instagram, he was having fun with his friends back home in July and August.  Not real concerned about the weight, Dirk likes his work ethic, and that’s good enough for me.

Because of his resume and his skills, people are having these conversations about Doncic's fitness/body type as if he were a grown man, despite the fact that he is extremely young and clearly not done developing physically.  He's not an elite athlete by NBA standards,  but if he's got the discipline to live right and can stay off the operating table he's going to continue to get faster over the next 6-7 years, stronger for the next 12 and and smarter for the next 20.

The NBA is a league of monsters, but fundamentally basketball is a skills game and superhumanity has diminishing returns beyond a certain point. Doncic is athletic enough, and I don't think I've ever seen a guy with skills like that at 19. My only question is how he handles the beating of an NBA season for the first two years. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Because of his resume and his skills, people are having these conversations about Doncic's fitness/body type as if he were a grown man, despite the fact that he is extremely young and clearly not done developing physically.  He's not an elite athlete by NBA standards,  but if he's got the discipline to live right and can stay off the operating table he's going to continue to get faster over the next 6-7 years, stronger for the next 12 and and smarter for the next 20.

The NBA is a league of monsters, but fundamentally basketball is a skills game and superhumanity has diminishing returns beyond a certain point. Doncic is athletic enough, and I don't think I've ever seen a guy with skills like that at 19. My only question is how he handles the beating of an NBA season for the first two years. 

Agree on all points.

The behind the back dribble drive, left hand of the glass, going away from the basket, between two large defenders is the kind of move you can’t really teach.  Extreme skill. Very excited to follow him. 

• Like 1

Got my tickets for the home opener. Haven't done that in ages it seems like, but I'm pumped to see this squad. The highlights from the 2 games against the 76ers have me not only excited about Doncic, but DSJ looked sharp as well. Maxi has also been beasting this preseason and is probably going to be in a nice battle with Powell for minutes. We might actually have some really good options coming off the bench. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

What kind of fees? Is it like Stubhub or Ticketmaster where the feeds almost match the ticket price?

Nah the tickets are 41 and fees made it 46.50 total per ticket. Also only pay one processing fee for the order. You down to go?

Edited by Zepol87

Apparently Rick wants them to push off the miss every chance this year.  DSJ won't be bringing the ball up everytime like last year   get the rebound and outlet to whoever is there and go.  

I'm excited as hell.  

I think DSJ is going to be a MFer off the ball

12 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Apparently Rick wants them to push off the miss every chance this year.  DSJ won't be bringing the ball up everytime like last year   get the rebound and outlet to whoever is there and go.  

I'm excited as hell.  

DSJ is going to benefit so well from Luka. Now he can elevate his game to the next level. And DSJ is going to help Luka as well. Luka can push the tempo and lead the charge.

I did not care for the Jordan signing at first but I am now excited about what he will bring to this team. And inside presence and rebounding we desperately need.

This is the most excited I have been for a season and our future in general this side of the Finals victory. We are now seeing the blueprint for the future develop as we transition away from Dirk.

3 hours ago, Post Oak said:

I'm excited as hell.  

Our pace of play was among the slowest in the league last year. Those days are gone. Should be a lot of fun to watch.