The Boat Fanatic Thread

Yarbr

[mention=2522]dlatin[/mention] how amazing is it? Did you bareboat or are you with a Capitan? 

Bareboat, first time doing at cat. Thankful to have someone that knows a little about sailing on the boat to help as I try to figure it out. The last time it was just me, wife and 2 young kids and I didn’t ever feel concerned. We had some rough water to start the trip and was sailing in 20 knot winds at times yesterday.

Here’s yesterday at Maho.516337534636678d27cd84beee6ea3a8.jpg

2077e9d97bd3177255ba8ab164c01cd4.jpg
8ff44bdbc864f1b3f020e1319f77b0ac.jpg
ab8a17a616761eb89f5d525c09406c8b.jpg
2b9738a1d34c49c880ed718d5d4ec075.jpg
78ff2645935ee8ad054b443a8ad39ccc.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

I LOVE the cockpits on those big cats?  How does it sail?  I've heard some of those straight cruising cats don't sail great.  Never sailed one though.

I'll be interested to hear what he says. 

we chartered a 45 foot cat (I think a lagoon) in BVI in November and planning the same in the Bahamas for the Spring.  I think we will try and sail Vancouver with a monohull next summer and use these three experiences to make a prelim decision of which way we intend to go. 

if the cat we like the 50 footers (mostly to get a large master stateroom) from the main charter production builds with more of the owner's cabin layout.  for the monohull I'm loving the layout of the oyster 595 (for the same reason, large master stateroom behind the galley).

remains to be seen if we can pull off a large boat and shit I gotta finish learning my 27 footer and then a 40 footer and then a 50 fotter so lots of ifs and buts still to go but dreaming about the islands and kissing this lawyer bullshit goodbye?

my idea of eye candy...

oyster 595:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

the lagoon 55 cat:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by troph

44 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

You like the Oyster 595?  Wow, they are such crappy boats.

Oyster makes an unparalleled yacht.  And you pay for that.  That thing is $2 mi sailaway.

I like the layout quite a bit, a lot actually.  I actually had questions for y'all about quality and I can't tell from your post what you think - crappy then unparalleled?  btw I won't buy new.  keep in mind I have not seen any of these in person.  and people rail on these big cats too so truth be told, I have a hard time with any online reviews that aren't from people I know because EVERYONE has an opinion.

but if I have my way, $800K-1.2M used will be my budget.  again, 3 levels of training away from anything worth a shit and at least 5 years plus chips falling the right way.

Edited by troph

50 minutes ago, troph said:

I like the layout quite a bit, a lot actually.  I actually had questions for y'all about quality and I can't tell from your post what you think - crappy then unparalleled?  btw I won't buy new.  keep in mind I have not seen any of these in person.  and people rail on these big cats too so truth be told, I have a hard time with any online reviews that aren't from people I know because EVERYONE has an opinion.

but if I have my way, $800K-1.2M used will be my budget.  again, 3 levels of training away from anything worth a shit and at least 5 years plus chips falling the right way.

Crappy was HIGHLY sarcastic.  Oysters are widely considered the finest, or amongst the finest, production yachts built in the world.  And the most expensive.  If you can afford one, bless you.   This is a yacht that can take you around the world in style and comfort.  But unless you plan to cross oceans, not sure you need something quite this perfect.  But at the high end price point, also look at Hylas, Swan, Amel, Island Packet, Halberg-Rassy and a few others.  

8 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Crappy was HIGHLY sarcastic.  Oysters are widely considered the finest, or amongst the finest, production yachts built in the world.  And the most expensive.  If you can afford one, bless you.   This is a yacht that can take you around the world in style and comfort.  But unless you plan to cross oceans, not sure you need something quite this perfect.  But at the high end price point, also look at Hylas, Swan, Amel, Island Packet, Halberg-Rassy and a few others.  

ah gotcha they are one of the most beautiful builds I see out there.  they had that catastrophic incident back about 12-13 years ago on the 85 foot yacht so I didn't know.  I follow Swan and Halberg-Rassy on instagram as well as a few others.

we are most likely in a 45 foot production cat for style and comfort and not for performance and used at that.  gets to the lower range of the budget.  but if it's a monohull the options decrease exponentially with size and builder due to the lack of square footage underneath.

my brain doesn't work well on land anymore, it's restless, tormented, unfulfilled and it just gets antsy and drifts off to wondering when will I see the water again.  so the plan is very much island hopping in the places you'd expect.  I'd love to cross the ocean but I won't be the one with the most experience doing that.  so it probably won't be my boat either.  but to have a boat that can open water sail?  yeah, that's getting more likely a must and I'll sell most of what I own at some point if I have to.  gf says she's easy, blue water and warm temps and she will go anywhere I want.  so we will see. 

cats for living, monohulls for the sail which wins?  like I said, probably a used 40-45 foot cat. that might give me the sads.

Edited by troph

@Sbbruin like this one: 

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2002/oyster-62-deck-saloon-3843080/

or this one:

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2011/oyster-625-deck-saloon-3715255/

rent out the house for 3-5 years, cash down as much as required, mortgage up for the rest for something like this these, sail around the islands while we are young - winter in the Caribbean, move it to the Med in the summers - do that for a few years, then sell it and come home.

Hey the first one had the teak decks already replaced. That's a 50k+ expense that you don't have to worry about for another 20 years!

Get a cat. 800-1200k buys a badass 45+ft cat. The newer ones have a ridiculous amount of space. I've got a buddy with a Lagoon 450 and you could put 30 people on that boat and not be crowded. There's room for 10+ forward, 10+ in the cockpit, 6-8 inside, 6-8 on the hardtop. It's just amazing.

The sailing, at least comfort wise, is so much better. There's little heeling and even when you beat towards weather it is not as bad. I've got a vid of a mono buddy boat that was bucking into weather and they were fucking miserable. Most of the family was throwing up. Our boat had a little slamming but otherwise it was comfortable.

• Hook 'Em 1

I LOVE the cockpits on those big cats?  How does it sail?  I've heard some of those straight cruising cats don't sail great.  Never sailed one though.

I’m a relatively new sailer with little experience so I’m probably not the best judge but I will say it doesn’t seem to sail too well. This is my first time really sailing a cat. We’ve had strong wind a couple days so that scared me so we’ve motored a bit. On the flip side, when I sailed a 46’ monohull in the BVIs we only motored once in 10 days and it was for lack of wind. I’ve heard these are not built for sailing and I think that’s right. It sure is comfortable though. Since you are not moving most of the time getting a boat that’s comfortable makes sense. What blows me away is this boat does not have a single cup holder on it. Crazy.

We stayed 2 nights on this ball in Salt Pond. We did the Ram Head hike yesterday early.

5ac36c629d6e775b219c89d1ab96134f.jpg
25ef7a9d9b6dd1364761c74d7d79850c.jpg
067b7e199500249f4963b96e162ca32f.jpg
65b856c250f1a8ac9bfc4b13debe96e4.jpg
a2bb01a5eb4dfb2c3004f2f4dca51865.jpg
9e53d7847790ff0358284e2e6102aee2.jpg
4a269ee94b2d669f1fdb38ad67929fdd.jpg
93aa3e144ef8122241bf0370b7ff7f1d.jpg
d4cc68eed3f8f65c7a78816a67613ccc.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 4

Looks like a fantastic time, sucks to hear about the sailing part. Would hope they are at least functional. 

We had a captain on the boat for about 24 hours the last time we did this and I learned a lot. I bet having a captain for a day would have been a huge benefit and made me more confident. Right now we are just sailing with the headsail downwind. I didn’t want to worry about jibing. 44a58aa42479abaae42e36617947c3b2.jpg

Well, there's livin' the life of 007 on the high seas w/Dlatin and then there's slumming it w/Herbal American hitchhikers on a lake built by the Army.

Tuesday what-have-you...

(edited)_IMG_3307.HEIC

What can I say.  They were fans of Floyd and Jeffrey Lebowski, so I just couldn't say "no".  Dude in the dreds swam out about 100 yards, got my attention and said, "Hey, would you take us on a ride if we promise not to pee on your rug man?"

I was like (making motion to the shore for everyone to swim out), "You know how to make a mean Caucasian?"  We cruised around till sunset alternating between Dark Side of The Moon and Lebowski quote duels.

Edited by Cajun
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

11 minutes ago, Cajun said:

They were fans of Floyd and Jeffrey Lebowski, so I just couldn't say "no".  Dude in the dreds swam out about 100 yards, got my attention and said, "Hey, would you take us on a ride if we promise not to pee on your rug man?"

Holy shit that is awesome.

• Hook 'Em 2

Only ones I ignored were the Cholos over at Comal Park who yelled, "How much for a ride?" as I returned someone's flamingo float that had blown out to the middle of the lake.  

I took a look and the entire Familia's gross weight would have put me on "E" on the fuel guage in about 3 minutes.

Mix in a salad fellas and get back to me next year.

33 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Only ones I ignored were the Cholos over at Comal Park who yelled, "How much for a ride?" as I returned someone's flamingo float that had blown out to the middle of the lake.  

I took a look and the entire Familia's gross weight would have put me on "E" on the fuel guage in about 3 minutes.

And this is why I could never swim out and ask for ride. I think I’m cool but damn couldn’t deal with rejection. 

2 hours ago, davidg said:

ETA: LOL at cajun providing boat rides for the land based poors of Canyon Lake   and dreds for throwing up the shocker.

I know I’ve said it before, but these are just things that would have never occurred to me in life. Catching a ride on someone’s boat or taking on a boat full are things I have never thought about on the water. I’m going to have to keep my eyes open for selective additions now that I know it’s a thing and my kids are at the ages they aren’t always with us on the water any more. I’ve seen some random ass people show up at the lake house wanting to go out, but they have always been attached to someone I knew.

It's a "feel" thing for me.  I've turned down plenty b/c it didn't feel right.  Usually I just come up with a "boat's running funny and I don't want to make it worse" excuse, but for the ones with the right vibe (or if they're split-tails with tiiiiiiiiiiight packages), I'm good to go.

At Canyon I take a lot of military guys out for a spin (/no homo - nttawwt).  They know exactly what to say --- "Hey my man, we are getting deployed next week and...".  I quiz 'em a little to make sure they're legit.  Most are.

The real payoff you'd think would be the hotties who ask, but that's a distant 2nd to the time I took out a family w/a little boy a bout 7 yrs old who wanted to drive.  I sat him on my lap (shut up pervs) and let him air that mf'er out for a bit.  The smile on that kid's face, and the attendant hug from his dad I got for giving his kid that experience was worth a pot of gold and then some in my book.  Kid smiled all the way home I'm told...

IMG_2942.HEIC

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

80C82F99-D09B-4630-8B83-781C7C4C63EB.gif