Austin Transportation & Roadways

Longhorn Al

27 minutes ago, Orange&White said:

Really...how about a link?

Dude, you aren't going to change your mind no matter whatever I say and I don't give a shit what you think. Just move on.  My opinion on the changes they made to monitoring contracts are based on what I saw in the 183 progress reports at the CTRMA board meetings which you can watch here: https://www.mobilityauthority.com/board-meetings

The shit about 35 was reported in all the newspapers when Kirk Watson announced the Capital Expressway. You can google it yourself. 

38 minutes ago, Updawg said:

The mopac / slaughter intersection is definitely better as a diamond. It was getting pretty bad leaving circle c before construction and seems to have improved.

That 360 exit is weird and I have noticed the same. I think it is just a result of more cars on the road these days

I've also noticed south bound mopac has a lot more traffic jams on the wkds whereas there used to never be. Probably all the hays county people.

I wonder how much the new toll road connecting to mopac will impact things. Great for hays county and Brodie lane people but is it going to push south mopac over the edge.

I'm not sure why traffic jams up there. The MoPac South project widens that exit to 2 lanes with 3 lanes continuing on mopac south. It would also build a ramp for people to get from the frontage lane to the cap of Texas exit without going through the mainlines which would help a lot with slowdowns. It's been a while tough since I heard any progress on the MoPac South project. That SOS lawsuit put it on hold for a while.

click to enlarge:

Mo-Pac-South.jpg

1 hour ago, hayden_horn said:

i have not noticed any significant difference in the waiting time to clear that intersection.

I would wait until they are all done to judge. 

Edited by Pasken

Those diamond intersections are working just fine on 1431 in Cedar Park & Round Rock. Gotta be on your toes though until you get used to them. Lotta fenderbenders in the first couple of weeks after opening.
That's the one bad thing. When people run a red light they are very delayed
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Updawg said:

The mopac / slaughter intersection is definitely better as a diamond. It was getting pretty bad leaving circle c before construction and seems to have improved.

That 360 exit is weird and I have noticed the same. I think it is just a result of more cars on the road these days

I've also noticed south bound mopac has a lot more traffic jams on the wkds whereas there used to never be. Probably all the hays county people.

I wonder how much the new toll road connecting to mopac will impact things. Great for hays county and Brodie lane people but is it going to push south mopac over the edge.

This will be a huge relief for Brodie. Personally, I've given up commuting downtown by car so it won't affect me during rush hour, but it's amazing to see how traffic can back up from Wm. Cannon all the way to the Valero at Plantation on a bad day.

Nowadays, I just shoot up West Gate to the movie theater and catch the 803 from there. I'm sure the lower stress level will eventually add years to my life.

6 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

for the life of me, i cannot ascertain any benefit from the diverging diamond at slaughter and mopac. i'm willing to entertain the idea that it is because it is not finished.

Do you travel this regularly? It could very well be due to the fact that north/south traffic doesn’t go through the intersection anymore, but it’s a fuckton faster for anybody exiting to slaughter 

i have not noticed any significant difference in the waiting time to clear that intersection.
like i said, maybe it isn't fully complete, and it will be better upon finishing.
here's a weird question: southbound on mopac, there used to be an exit only lane for 360, in the left lane. they have since made that third left lane a through lane, which would have seemed to me to make traffic flow more efficiently. they also alleviated some of the lights on 360 to ben white itself to increase efficiency. yet, every damn day, no matter the time of day, even on weekends, that left lane backs up for that exit, and there is no goddamn reason for it. i cannot figure it out. i come out the other side of the ridge, and traffic accelerates to normalish speeds. 
are people just being cautious on that exit in ways they didn't used to be, because it cuts through the rocks and you cannot see where you are going? maybe it's new transplants, who don't understand how that exit works?
i don't get it.

I drive it at least once a day.

It is 100% due to “Austin Drivers”. There is a slight curve and rock walls so let’s go 25 mph. There are no lights and no need to merge for a good 3/4 of a mile.

• Like 1

Those diamond intersections are working just fine on 1431 in Cedar Park & Round Rock. Gotta be on your toes though until you get used to them. Lotta fenderbenders in the first couple of weeks after opening.

Believe you and I live pretty close, and yes I love me some DD intersections here. Trying to turn left onto Parmer from 1431 was a complete hellscape where a single turn lane would become wildly backed up at rush hour, and every moron not paying attention would eat up another cycle...now it quickly loads up two lanes for turn queue, and it’ll get backed up a bit but it’s not dangerous anymore. Same thing turning left to go NB onto 35...it’ll back up but it’s orderly.

Watching a diverging diamond in full tilt boogie mode is impressive...weird to see 8-10 lanes of traffic all moving at the same time, full speed. Definitely takes a few runs to get used to, but after that it’s great. I don’t get the fear.

7 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

for the life of me, i cannot ascertain any benefit from the diverging diamond at slaughter and mopac. i'm willing to entertain the idea that it is because it is not finished.

I'm sure a strong and convincing argument can be made that I'm a dumbass, and I probably wouldn't argue with a lot of it, but I kinda dig the new intersection at Slaughter and MoPac. I told my wife the other day how much I used to hate it, and now it's like a walk in the park. I can't count how many times heading south on MoPac I hit the intersection without stopping and continue eastbound on Slaughter like I'm the fucking POTUS! 

But I have to laugh because I'm Steel Shank.

19 hours ago, bolverk said:

This will be a huge relief for Brodie. Personally, I've given up commuting downtown by car so it won't affect me during rush hour, but it's amazing to see how traffic can back up from Wm. Cannon all the way to the Valero at Plantation on a bad day.

Nowadays, I just shoot up West Gate to the movie theater and catch the 803 from there. I'm sure the lower stress level will eventually add years to my life.

Please remove mention of West Gate. For reasons unclear to me people forget it's there and take Brodie. There's never traffic heading north to 71 in the morning.

Here is a visualization of the adjustment to Red River in order to fit the new UT Basketball arena:

pols_feature12.jpg

The good thing is it will reconnect Red River at 15th St so you don't have to zig zag onto 15th to stay on the road. The bad thing is it will be a lot narrower going through campus. I think that would be a bigger deal if it wasn't already a 2 lane road between 15th and MLK. I'm sure it'll annoy a lot of people but I think it's worth a free basketball arena and not having to demolish the School of Social work building which was another site that was considered. 

On 2/27/2019 at 9:17 AM, relapse98 said:

Change. Same reason people get so worked up about roundabouts. It's not the way they've always done it and they are afraid to try something new that might actually be more efficient.

I'll be interesting to see if the next to be released designs of 35 work have more roundabouts. It might be hard to find intersections with that much available land but I think the 51st ST overpass shows that they really work.

Also there was an article in the statesman how Kirk Watson is trying to get the ledge to look into alternative ways to raise money 8 billion to rebuild 35 but it's not worth the read. Basically, there is no money for it in the next 10 years and the ledge won't consider additional taxes to fund it. 

Edited by Pasken

23 hours ago, Pasken said:

Here is a visualization of the adjustment to Red River in order to fit the new UT Basketball arena:

pols_feature12.jpg

The good thing is it will reconnect Red River at 15th St so you don't have to zig zag onto 15th to stay on the road. The bad thing is it will be a lot narrower going through campus. I think that would be a bigger deal if it wasn't already a 2 lane road between 15th and MLK. I'm sure it'll annoy a lot of people but I think it's worth a free basketball arena and not having to demolish the School of Social work building which was another site that was considered. 

I'll be interesting to see if the next to be released designs of 35 work have more roundabouts. It might be hard to find intersections with that much available land but I think the 51st ST overpass shows that they really work.

Also there was an article in the statesman how Kirk Watson is trying to get the ledge to look into alternative ways to raise money 8 billion to rebuild 35 but it's not worth the read. Basically, there is no money for it in the next 10 years and the ledge won't consider additional taxes to fund it. 

That Red River through campus idea is horrible. 

9 minutes ago, Chet Steadman said:

Porsche, I think.  

https://www.statesman.com/news/20181114/40-million-new-porsche-dealership-planned-for-austins-arboretum-area

I saw this but didn’t think they could fit this at the space I’m taking about. Seems small for this 

welp, you’re right. 

https://communityimpact.com/local-news/austin/northwest-austin/features/business/2018/12/12/porsche-dealership-coming-to-the-arboretum-in-as-early-as-late-2019/

Edited by Neonmoon

Heads up North Austin. Roadwork coming to the Parmer Lane Overpass at 35 beginning this summer. 

-Convert Parmer to Diverging Diamond Intersection

-Reconstruct NB frontage bypass lane to make room for future 35 mainlane expansion

-Build NEW SB frontage bypass lane

-Constructing right-turn lanes at the intersection of Parmer Lane and Lamar Boulevard

-Adding dual left-turn lanes from Parmer Lane to Lamar Boulevard

(Click Photos to Enlarge)

Screen-Shot-2019-03-06-at-9-44-25-AM.jpg

Screen-Shot-2019-03-06-at-9-43-49-AM.jpg

We're also about 1.5 years  away from the 35 North to 185 North direct connector closing for reconstruction...it's going to be a cluster fuck of pain.

Edited by Pasken

Forgot to add this in from the flier that I thought was interesting:

1. During the I-35 at Parmer Lane Environmental Study, the project team completed an operational analysis and compared the Diverging Diamond Intersection with a conventional intersection for the year 2040. The results showed:

• North and southbound I-35 frontage road delays are reduced by 82% in the morning, and by 81% in the afternoon

• Vehicles sitting through multiple signal cycles at Parmer Lane are reduced by 97% for the morning and afternoon peak hours

• The intersection of Parmer Lane and Lamar Boulevard delay is reduced by 44% in the morning, and 28% in the afternoon

On 2/26/2019 at 3:47 PM, Pasken said:

Dude, you aren't going to change your mind no matter whatever I say and I don't give a shit what you think. Just move on.  My opinion on the changes they made to monitoring contracts are based on what I saw in the 183 progress reports at the CTRMA board meetings which you can watch here: https://www.mobilityauthority.com/board-meetings

The shit about 35 was reported in all the newspapers when Kirk Watson announced the Capital Expressway. You can google it yourself. 

I'm not sure why traffic jams up there. The MoPac South project widens that exit to 2 lanes with 3 lanes continuing on mopac south. It would also build a ramp for people to get from the frontage lane to the cap of Texas exit without going through the mainlines which would help a lot with slowdowns. It's been a while tough since I heard any progress on the MoPac South project. That SOS lawsuit put it on hold for a while.

click to enlarge:

Mo-Pac-South.jpg

I would wait until they are all done to judge. 

Y'all do know that COA considers it a failure if a motorist in this town gets out of his car at the end of a trip through ATX and thinks, "That was pleasant", right?

The Parmer and 35 intersection is long due for an overhaul. Can't believe they still won't put in u turn lanes though.

The DDI has u-turns built in. Since the cross traffic is flipped across the bridge the u-turn becomes a yield movement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, Godzillatron said:

The DDI has u-turns built in. Since the cross traffic is flipped across the bridge the u-turn becomes a yield movement.

i meant a free flowing UTurn without lights.

13 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Pertinent question that I feel has gone unanswered.

No one here knows but I think you could assume it would be closed on game days especially now that beer is served at games. You’re talking about 6 days a year.

No one here knows but I think you could assume it would be closed on game days especially now that beer is served at games. You’re talking about 6 days a year.

City of Austin, by letting the medical school and UT destroy Red River has effectively eliminated one of the major north-south routes in this city.

8 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

When does the Loop 360 overpass construction begin?

All 7 projects are in design/engineering/environmental review. First one should be ready for construction around 2022 and the last one around 2026. Hopefully they aren't sued by Save our Springs.  Hold onto your butts because a diverging diamond intersection is coming to 2222. 

Loop360_OverallProjectMap_Draft_06.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/7/2019 at 9:02 PM, Godzillatron said:

City of Austin, by letting the medical school and UT destroy Red River has effectively eliminated one of the major north-south routes in this city.

Uh, they typically put medical schools near teaching hospitals.  Where the fuck else were they supposed to put it?  We can fill a whole other website with City of Austin mistakes, but Red River ain't one of 'em.  

On 3/8/2019 at 5:30 AM, Pasken said:

All 7 projects are in design/engineering/environmental review. First one should be ready for construction around 2022 and the last one around 2026. Hopefully they aren't sued by Save our Springs.  Hold onto your butts because a diverging diamond intersection is coming to 2222. 

What are they going to do at the other lights? Just let them be?

The light for Hotel Granduca really pisses me off. Used to almost always make it from Westlake to Bee Cave southbound during rush hour without stopping. Now that light backs up, sometimes all the way to Pascal. Added 10-20 minutes to my commute. Glad I work from home 3 days a week.

1 hour ago, blacklab said:

The light for Hotel Granduca really pisses me off. Used to almost always make it from Westlake to Bee Cave southbound during rush hour without stopping. Now that light backs up, sometimes all the way to Pascal. Added 10-20 minutes to my commute. Glad I work from home 3 days a week.

You can thank Apple for that one. 

Uh, they typically put medical schools near teaching hospitals.  Where the fuck else were they supposed to put it?  We can fill a whole other website with City of Austin mistakes, but Red River ain't one of 'em.  

It’s not about putting the med school near the teaching hospital, or putting the new basketball arena on campus. Certainly both laudable.. it’s about destroying one of the major north - south arterials in central Austin, and one of the few viable alternates to I-35 for trips in and out of downtown. For that, the decision to screw up Red River joins multiple other data points that cement the conclusion CoA doesn’t care about solving congestion and mobility.

5 minutes ago, Steel Shank said:

They've tied that project (Red River) into the Muny lease deal. The city can get "credits" for doing UT a solid. UT in return, will account for this as they negotiate the future of Muny to build a shitload of midrise condos there along with a Trader Joe’s and some hip wine bars.

Fify

Edited by Armybrat

3 hours ago, blacklab said:

I would bet they close that light because it’ll be much easier to u turn at bee caves with the new ddi. However, that project won’t be ready for construction until 2026.

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, Updawg said:
23 minutes ago, Pasken said:
Tx 45 SW opens up May 18th. Hopefully it takes some traffic off 35, Slaughter and 71 in south Austin. Project came in on time and on budget.
45_WebMap-01.png

How bad is that going to screw up the NB morning commute on mopac?

I don't know how many people will use it to get to MoPac north vs Southwest Austin. The people that are going to take Mopac NB would still have been taking Mopac NB but just coming from 71.  Mopac South of the river won't get any better until they green light the construction improvements but those have been delayed years because of Save Our Springs lawsuits. I've posted the schematics before but it would bring a ton of improvements to entrances/exits as well as widening the bridge over the river.