Succession -- HBO

Patrick Bateman

On 8/18/2019 at 9:48 PM, Iconoclast Texan said:

Seriously, WTF? Kendall comes off at times as a douche when he uses a word like “imperial” and other buzzwords but then they make him sympathetic as an addict under the thumb of his father. Tom and Shiv’s relationship is having depth added to it. Connor is an object of derision that we can mock like Fredo in The Godfather. Roman adds nothing. This is my favorite show on TV. Smart, dry humor with sophistication. Makes me miss NY a lot too.

Whoa! Very problematic, pal. 

On 8/19/2019 at 10:39 AM, oSuJeff97 said:

Tom continues to be the most fascinating character on the show to me.  

His total personality swings based on who he's in the room with is almost sociopath level stuff.

He wants to fit in so bad with the family and half the time it seems that Shiv can't even stand him.  And lol at the 'fuck the occasional peasant' line.  You're one of the peasants, Tom.  

• Like 1

the insecurity oozing from tom at the thought that shiv is gonna eventually work for her dad (or take over, and be his boss's boss) is fantastic.

he thought he would forever be the lone representative from their couple and basically be forced to compete only with kendall and roman.  not so fast.

also greg's jump-kick for the win.  why haven't i seen that gif'd up yet?

I'm liking Roman's character more and more.  Shiv had been the only fully-formed persona, but Roman is catching up and actually displaying some depth of thought.  Plus, he doesn't give a fuck about anything.  Kendall is a zombie at this point, Tom is still an insecure, mostly dysfunctional waste of space, and Logan is a cartoon.

My god that “party”.

Logan is more than crazy. He’s crazy, amoral, and smart. A horrible combination.

Shiv is totally getting played. He’s going to use her to get Pierce. Parade her around as the new face Waystar Royco, the kinder, gentler, modern Roy. And once the deal is done, he’s gonna throw her overboard.

And I think Kendall has finally learned how to play his dad’s game. He’s sacrificed his soul to do it but he’s winning the battle of the kids right now and even Logan doesn’t see it.

Connor is such a caricature. “The elites” coming from him was such a pitch perfect mockery of a certain type of rich asshole.

Tom’s lack of backbone and obsequiousness makes me cringe but dear god I didn’t think he could be emasculated any further but there it was.

Frank has got an ulterior motive and I definitely think he’s back for revenge.

And I want Gerri to end up with the crown at the end of this. She’s the only one with any damn sense and who doesn’t get off on the smell of their own farts.

Being ultra wealthy would be nice but if the cost is this kind of misery, man I don’t know.

• Like 1

I can’t recall all of last season but I thought Logan’s wife was more of a player in the family dynamics. And wasn’t she getting her son into the business, and at first glance the son seemed to be more competent than the Roy children. Anyway the wife seems to be more of an afterthought thru 3 episodes.

Succession had grown on me and it’s one of the few weekly shows I look forward to seeing.

edit: the feed the piggies scene was too much. But I also understand that a more realistic scene of a ceo subtlety embarrassing other execs to keep everyone in line, would be boring and difficult to follow.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

I thought last night’s episode was the weakest one in the entire series. I thought the whole boar on the floor thing was ridiculous and not realistic. Tom is realizing how little Shiv and father in law think of him by the humiliation he is suffering at their hands. Tom seemed to have this amoral facade to fit in but he didn’t rat out Greg which is maybe his true self.

• Like 1

Would you say the writing of the corporate retreat dinner scene was a little 'ham-fisted'?  

Tip your waitresses!  

Yeah, last night was a bit weak.  Gerri and Tom carried the episode IMO.  

I just kept thinking "were that me, I'd tell Logan to fuck off, keep his money, I'm out of here".  I don't understand how certain people are perfectly content to prostrate themselves in any and all instances, but I've seen it happen so many times at the C-level that I guess it just comes with the territory when you're greedy and lack any backbone.

1 hour ago, kingkoopa6 said:

lmao. 

dog fucking on roller skates.

I’m starting to think that Tom and Logan have an agreement with the Veep writers that they each get a couple of one liners written just for them each episode.  And then a rejected writer from the Veep room writes a flat pair for Roman as well. 

5 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I just kept thinking "were that me, I'd tell Logan to fuck off, keep his money, I'm out of here".  I don't understand how certain people are perfectly content to prostrate themselves in any and all instances, but I've seen it happen so many times at the C-level that I guess it just comes with the territory when you're greedy and lack any backbone.

If you want to surround yourself with yes men that will do whatever you say, then that is exactly what you will get. 

On 8/26/2019 at 1:40 PM, Lobo said:

I’m starting to think that Tom and Logan have an agreement with the Veep writers that they each get a couple of one liners written just for them each episode.  And then a rejected writer from the Veep room writes a flat pair for Roman as well. 

Roman's "he's a human Saudi Arabia' line was straight out of the Veep writing room.

Yeah, he starts dating the girl who blew his brother-in-law..but he won't fuck her because he suddenly has boundaries?  Only thing that apparently can make him ejaculate is rubbing one out against the glass of his high-rise office.  

On 8/26/2019 at 12:54 PM, jimmyjazz said:

It's what they know. Logan's rant on the price of milk was perfect. They put up with it because the thought of giving up and having to go it alone with out a massive net to fall into no matter what gives the person a little more leeway to be treated like shit. Hell that happens all the time for people including those that are worried about losing a $30K a year job.

Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. 

9 hours ago, Lobo said:

Yeah, he starts dating the girl who blew his brother-in-law..but he won't fuck her because he suddenly has boundaries?  Only thing that apparently can make him ejaculate is rubbing one out against the glass of his high-rise office.  

Yeah I don't think it's because of boundaries. He's got some kind of dysfunction going on.  Or maybe he's a gay. #NTTAWWT

As for this week's episode - agreed that the "Boar on the floor" thing was a little much, but a solid episode other than that.

More and more I get the feeling that Kendall is playing 3D chess on everyone, as he keeps emerging from the sad sack act he's putting on to cut people's throats.  He clearly has the best business acumen of all the kids and it seems that the events of last season taught him to win you have to be a ruthless motherfucker. You put those two things together and what is he? A young version of his dad.

Also, they're totally setting up Tom to be some kind of rat.  Yeah he can be a total weird-o asshole, but they've been showing that he does seem to have actual human emotions and showed some empathy for Greg. He also clearly loves Shiv and is 100% not into their "arrangement."  They're gonna keep pushing him and shitting on him (both at home and at work) and he's gonna go turncoat.

Edited by oSuJeff97
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Yeah I don't think it's because of boundaries. He's got some kind of dysfunction going on.  Or maybe he's a gay. #NTTAWWT

As for this week's episode - agreed that the "Boar on the floor" thing was a little much, but a solid episode other than that.

More and more I get the feeling that Kendall is playing 3D chess on everyone, as he keeps emerging from the sad sack act he's putting on to cut people's throats.  He clearly has the best business acumen of all the kids and it seems that the events of last season taught him to win you have to be a ruthless motherfucker. You put those two things together and what is he? A young version of his dad.

Also, they're totally setting up Tom to be some kind of rat.  Yeah he can be a total weird-o asshole, but they've been showing that he does seem to have actual human emotions and showed some empathy for Greg. He also clearly loves Shiv and is 100% not into their "arrangement."  They're gonna keep pushing him and shitting on him (both at home and at work) and he's gonna go turncoat.

On the plane coming back from Hungary, the expression on Kendall's face was the first of "steely resolve" I think he's ever actually displayed.

On 8/29/2019 at 12:12 AM, Lobo said:

well, let's add one more thing to the list

24 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

That eulogy was amazing.

i love the look on the reporter/biographer's face during the eulogy.

Man, Kendall is so broken.

the Greg/Tom blackmail scene was fantastic.

The Roman/Gerri thing has been telegraphed the last two episodes, but somehow seems plausible.

Shiv has got an uphill battle ahead of her.

Edited by yoladu

Well, The Beatles could have used a kazoo for the solo on "Let It Be" and still had a hit, but it wouldn't have made the song better.  The reality is that bosses aren't supposed to bomb employees with water bottles.  Regardless, it was unnecessary.  Tom effectively emasculated Greg with his play-acting when he bought into Greg's blackmail/not blackmail ploy over kept documents. 

I just don't like how this show swings between serious and ludicrous.  It's like the dork who's afraid to go all in and ask the cute girl out, so he self-sabotages throughout the act.

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, The Beatles could have used a kazoo for the solo on "Let It Be" and still had a hit, but it wouldn't have made the song better.  The reality is that bosses aren't supposed to bomb employees with water bottles.  Regardless, it was unnecessary.  Tom effectively emasculated Greg with his play-acting when he bought into Greg's blackmail/not blackmail ploy over kept documents. 

I just don't like how this show swings between serious and ludicrous.  It's like the dork who's afraid to go all in and ask the cute girl out, so he self-sabotages throughout the act.

Well I had a friend go to a job interview, he was interviewed by the CEO/owner of the company who said he could stand on top of the desk and take a shit on it because he was the owner of the company. Again most places don't do that but throwing water bottles at someone you work with is far from "OMG that is so fake that would never happen in real life".

I don't think it's as close to THAT over the top that you make it out to be but whatever. Hell 5 years ago if someone would have told me Matt Lauer had a button to lock the door to his office under his desk and used it to sexually harass women I would have said you were crazy. But here we are.

4 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm not liking the ridiculous forays into the absurd . . . the boars, the water bottles, etc.  It's not a comedy.

It's totally a comedy.  How did you miss that?  First line of Wikipedia, of all things, says "Succession is an American satirical comedy-drama television series, created by Jesse Armstrong, that premiered on June 3, 2018, on HBO."    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Succession_(TV_series)

I've never thought of it as anything else.  

26 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I've never thought it funny.  If it's a comedy, it truly sucks.  It's an interesting back story, though.

I think it's hilarious.  Tons of examples of pure comedy to me.  Here are just a few I thought of:

Shiv saying she's not declining, she's just not "clining."

Kendall telling Frank "Get your hard-on out of my soup."

Ronan saying during the proxy fight that "I can promise you that I am spiritually and emotionally and ethically and morally behind whoever wins."

Kendall saying his dad's speech could be "Drool.  Antisemitism.  A string of silk handkerchiefs."

Tom telling Greg "Of course you can trust me! To a point!"

Greg selectively shredding the cruise docs while saying "This saves the day" and "The other goes away." 

Ronan as the turkey in the amusement park telling the couple that they obviously don't have sex.

Then there's the running gags, like that Tom snowballs with a girl and brags about at his bachelor party, then Ronan starts dating the girl to spite him.  But he can't have sex with her - he can only get off to the general counsel telling him he's a piece of shit.  Or Connor the idiot spending millions on a presidential run while he lives with a callgirl and roleplays the Napoleonic Wars.  Or Tom in general.

• Like 1

Eh, we just disagree.  I think almost all of that is juvenile and unrealistic.  Not that I have a problem with juvenile and unrealistic, but I just don't think it works for this show.

Question:  is that the first time we've seen Roman and the lawyer getting that intimate?  There's a setup happening and I would actually find it hilarious if he ended up with the harpy twice his age.