Austin FC

Bottlecap

21 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

KC was the better team most of the match. WAY more great chances. Smart touches, or many shitty passes or mistakes, compared to Austin.

[b]But some lights out keeper play[/b], and some aggressive attacks when the opportunity presented itself kept this a game that, but for losing Ring, we probably draw, maybe even win.

But your veteran captain has to do better. That was inexcusable.

he had a couple great saves.  has all the physical tools you'd want in a top flight keeper.  i've only watched him a handful of times now but when he's on the line he's almost never caught out of position.  his glaring weakness is his decision making of when and if to come off his line.  twice tonight he made incredibly bad decisions that should have resulted in KC goals.  might have been three times but i can't remember specifically the third time.  the previous two games he's had moments like that too. 

• Like 2

he had a couple great saves.  has all the physical tools you'd want in a top flight keeper.  i've only watched him a handful of times now but when he's on the line he's almost never caught out of position.  his glaring weakness is his decision making of when and if to come off his line.  twice tonight he made incredibly bad decisions that should have resulted in KC goals.  might have been three times but i can't remember specifically the third time.  the previous two games he's had moments like that too. 

Yep. The two times he really came off his line were almost disastrous.

Wolff's inexperience really showed tonight.  Should have subbed Ring well prior to the red card but he held out with the idea of reaching to KC's subs.  Of course, all that goes out the window when you go a man down, at which point he makes a further mistake subbing off Cecilio.  The back line is a weakness but adding more bench defenders won't make it any stronger.  Keeping a player like Dominguez on is important to keep and make something of possession when you do get it, and he's the team's best dribbler by far.  Keeping the ball just a bit longer and maybe drawing a few more KC fouls keeps the pressure off the defense better than Cascante or whomever.  Berhalter also inexplicably was way off to the lateral side of the near post during the corner goal, where his only job is to cover the inside of the near post.  Shocking from a coaches son

• Hook 'Em 3

43 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Anyone got a link to the Ring foul? I've been on the road coming back from West Texas and have only seen the last 15 minutes. 

the thing is he already should have been sent off for a challenge like *two* minutes before the one where he did get sent off. Holden was like, "time to see what kind of discipline Ring can display here over the final 25 min...aaaaaand he's off." it was completely brain dead. just plain stupid.

6 minutes ago, squeegeedegg said:

Berhalter also inexplicably was way off to the lateral side of the near post during the corner goal, where his only job is to cover the inside of the near post.  Shocking from a coaches son

i wasn't watching berhalter even on the replay, but would it have made a difference? kinda found space behind pochettino and in front of romana and i don't think berhalter could have gotten to it before it crossed the line.

2 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

the thing is he already should have been sent off for a challenge like *two* minutes before the one where he did get sent off. Holden was like, "time to see what kind of discipline Ring can display here over the final 25 min...aaaaaand he's off." it was completely brain dead. just plain stupid.

part of me is thinking whomever JW wanted to sub in wasn't ready b/c the time between the second to last and the last foul was so short.

2 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

i wasn't watching berhalter even on the replay, but would it have made a difference? kinda found space behind pochettino and in front of romana and i don't think berhalter could have gotten to it before it crossed the line.

part of me is thinking whomever JW wanted to sub in wasn't ready b/c the time between the second to last and the last foul was so short.

The second or third angle from the TV replay really looked like he could have body blocked the ball if his initial positioning was fully inside the goal post.  This also brings to light how poor Romaña has been in the air, giving up two easy set piece goals against the Rapids and now Sporting 

5 minutes ago, squeegeedegg said:

The second or third angle from the TV replay really looked like he could have body blocked the ball if his initial positioning was fully inside the goal post.  This also brings to light how poor Romaña has been in the air, giving up two easy set piece goals against the Rapids and now Sporting 

well that's a bummer if that could have saved the goal.  romana's also really bad at keeping track of his man.  the first 40 minutes tonight they were just picking on him and lima.  i understand JW gives lima the freedom to play higher up but yeesh.

Edited by gsoda3

10 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

i try to never blame a poor result on the actions of one player, but this one is pretty cut and dry. completely fucking stupid. 

yea, and I think that was only the second red of his career, completely lost his mind for no reason; stupid fucking foul at mid field

17 hours ago, Somnio said:

Anyone have a suggestion for a spot in South Austin to watch the match? 

I've tried two of the bars here in the southside, and neither had much enthusiasm.  The games were on the tv, but most of the patrons did not seem particularly interested.

I want to go somewhere that cheering loudly when a goal is scored will not cause people to stare, and I won't be the only one wearing Austin FC gear.

Must I travel North?

I've been to the new Lustre Pearl South a couple times. They have a big indoor area with open garage doors on one side with one big TV and several smaller ones. Lots of folks wearing jerseys. Not a full blown rowdy soccer watching environment, but definitely more so than a standard bar.

Had a stadium tour today. We got to go into all areas. They asked that we not post club or locker room pictures since they haven’t publicly released them themselves.

8f7dc861d9881648285db75fee8e68d5.jpg
593ab3328fcc9ea7df4dcba6627cfc25.jpg
bffaa6b86b4ee1615f6cde20e13cbec4.jpg

This is the Supporters' Standing Area.  It has seats so they can sell the seats for non Austin FC matches.  The seats will be locked in the up position for Austin FC games.  I think this will make the standing area a bit awkward.
cf567c1e000c60f4d8cbd2ce13d3ee5a.jpg
aa033215d4e196659006833b7b14e019.jpg
455a73c9be9b84f2ffabf1ffc7eb7a06.jpg
a45ca6051f049f753d0d778c5f95b699.jpg
51b32959e7a93f1228a4b9bb8a250b9f.jpg

This is the Supporters' beer garden with Valentina's adjacent to it.
a5780b9a752b9478d082d605c271eccd.jpg

Edited by CooterBrown
  • Hook 'Em 2

Apologies if this has been discussed previously, but does anyone know what the reasoning is behind pushing so much black for a summer league in a city that exists on the surface of the sun?  The entire seating is some form of green, but they only offer 3 tshirts in green (1ea shortsleeve for M/W and a longsleeve) vs 23 in black.  Plenty of cool looking designs in Black/White/Grey, but nothing I'd buy in green.  And before anyone points out the shaded overhang at the stadium: that's great for the 2 hrs of the match, but getting to the stadium or wearing it any other time during the season seems crazy uncomfortable.  Just seems really odd for a team that wants to be known as Los Verdes.

1 minute ago, Mittens said:

Apologies if this has been discussed previously, but does anyone know what the reasoning is behind pushing so much black for a summer league in a city that exists on the surface of the sun?  The entire seating is some form of green, but they only offer 3 tshirts in green (1ea shortsleeve for M/W and a longsleeve) vs 23 in black.  Plenty of cool looking designs in Black/White/Grey, but nothing I'd buy in green.  And before anyone points out the shaded overhang at the stadium: that's great for the 2 hrs of the match, but getting to the stadium or wearing it any other time during the season seems crazy uncomfortable.  Just seems really odd for a team that wants to be known as Los Verdes.

I agree completely. An odd choice for sure.  It'll be interesting to see how hot the stadium gets. The metal roof is going to radiate heat and all that concrete is going to be 10-20 degrees warmer than the air.  

39 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

This is the Supporters' Standing Area.  It has seats so they can sell the seats for non Austin FC matches.  The seats will be locked in the up position for Austin FC games.  I think this will make the standing area a bit awkward.
cf567c1e000c60f4d8cbd2ce13d3ee5a.jpg

Cool pictures, thanks for posting.  I think some matches require seating, but believe most of the time, the seats are not the same as the regular seats, being a little smaller.  These loos to be more normal.  Not sure if that's similar to some of the other standing sections in the US or not.

3 minutes ago, pied said:

Cool pictures, thanks for posting.  I think some matches require seating, but believe most of the time, the seats are not the same as the regular seats, being a little smaller.  These loos to be more normal.  Not sure if that's similar to some of the other standing sections in the US or not.

I think they were the same size seats but without arm rests and cup holders.

The seats were nice sized and good space between the rows.

• Hook 'Em 1

A couple of things of note from the tour:

• The team will walk through the club lounge to the pitch. That should be very cool if you dropped the coin for that level ticket.
  • All of the club areas will be able to be rented out for events on dark days.
  • There's a small grass amphitheater on the west side. There will be pre-match concerts and viewing parties (ie Olympics this summer). This area is open for everyone.
  • They were already stocking up beer. Probably saw 500 kegs and 50 pallets of Dos Equis.
  • The Beer Hall that's open to either season ticket holders or everyone (I didn't quite catch what she said) has about 25 beers on tap.  It had foosball and shuffle board tables.
  • The locker room was nice but pales in comparison to the Longhorn football locker room.
  • The hallway to locker room is lined with framed local music posters and this entire team area and the decoration, furniture, and lighting reminded me of a newer music venue like ACL Live.
  • The visitor's locker room is a plain monotone gray room that's a bit depressing on purpose.
  • Eats are local. Valentina's, El Mercado, Double Dave's, and Taco Deli have permanent spots. There will be one rotating spot that is a local restaurant that will change every game.  Many traditional stadium food stalls as well.
  • A couple of suites were kept by the club to rent on a per match basis. They seat 16 and cost $8,000/game.
  • The supporters area is going to be fucking rowdy. They have their own dedicated bar right above their standing room area which is about 100 feet from where the visiting team comes out. There's gonna be a lot of abuse at the south end.

Edited by CooterBrown
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

At this point I'm not sure what I want most out of the summer transfer window... The popular thought is a true 9 or at least a DP forward.   However, I just don't like the Besler/Romaña combo in anything other than looking at their physicality.  Tough call for management to make.

That said, converting more chances into goals can cure a multitude of ills.  My hope is we take a pass at Nico Lopez from Tigres, or pay up and poach some Brazilian goal scorer with great control, Claudinho maybe and use him in tandem with Dominguez up front

35 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

you gotta take it seriously when a guy named mittens worries about being too warm.

Ha!  Never got around to the avatar when I set up the account.  Although now I'm a black cat complaining about black shirts...

Can someone explain Wolff's comments about Ring's red card after the match?  I couldn't tell if he was saying the ref should have used more discretion in throwing the 2nd yellow card or if he was saying the ref still had the discretion to not turn it into a red card.  (I am only familiar with youth soccer, where a 2nd yellow is an automatic red.  I assume that's the same in MLS.)

21 hours ago, Somnio said:

Anyone have a suggestion for a spot in South Austin to watch the match? 

I've tried two of the bars here in the southside, and neither had much enthusiasm.  The games were on the tv, but most of the patrons did not seem particularly interested.

I want to go somewhere that cheering loudly when a goal is scored will not cause people to stare, and I won't be the only one wearing Austin FC gear.

Must I travel North?

Start here.  I suspect that the Pub Club places will have a stronger showing that regular bars.  Last game, I got an email from the FC that there were watch parties at the Haymaker and Whitestone Brewery.  We went to Whitestone and probably 90% of the people were sporting Verde.  The special was the Verde Kolsch which was green - happy hour prices for those in gear.

Watched at BD Riley's last week and it was about 70% supporters, and the manager hyped it up with some Verde-Listos chants over the speakers (service was terrible though). Watched at Southern Heights brewing last night and I believe they usually close early on Sundays, but stayed open for the game, so everybody there was watching, but it wasn't nearly as rowdy. Haymaker was at complete capacity for the first week, but it's always packed on Saturdays. Last night it was only half full about 30 minutes before kickoff (passed by). 

It doesn't appear that Saturday's game against LA Galaxy is going to be televised in English.  Anyone have any experience with watching a game via @TUDNUSA?  If it's on my Univision channel, I probably watch it in Spanish.  Otherwise, I guess the Austin FC app or website.

English Language: 

Watch: @TUDNUSA (Twitter)
Listen: ALT 97.5 FM

Spanish Language: 

Watch: Univision/Unimas/TUDN
Listen: TUDN Radio Austin (104.3-HD2, KLQB)

2 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

It doesn't appear that Saturday's game against LA Galaxy is going to be televised in English.  Anyone have any experience with watching a game via @TUDNUSA?  If it's on my Univision channel, I probably watch it in Spanish.  Otherwise, I guess the Austin FC app or website.

English Language: 

Spanish Language: 

No experience with any of that, but from what I've heard the Austin FC app will only have locally televised games not out of town games televised by cable networks, so I wouldn't count on the app.

3 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

English Language: 

Spanish Language: 

According to here, there is SAP English for the game that starts at or near kickoff. The game isn’t on ESPN+ (which is how I watch in Greater Boston area)

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Machinator said:

My verde and black home jersey is a great conversation starter around town. Old white dudes, teenage kids, cute little Mexican chicks, baggers at the grocery store, all feel compelled to comment. I'm also impressed that they seem to be watching the games based on comments. This city is definitely fired up about the new team and new stadium. Hoping they can have a successful enough season to keep the interest going beyond the first season. I think that starting the season with all of these road games may have actually been a blessing in disguise - upped the interest as everyone has been watching the games on TV and the interest is just building and building towards the home opener. Gonna be a rowdy scene.

Edited by MidTexHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 5/10/2021 at 1:01 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Can someone explain Wolff's comments about Ring's red card after the match?  I couldn't tell if he was saying the ref should have used more discretion in throwing the 2nd yellow card or if he was saying the ref still had the discretion to not turn it into a red card.  (I am only familiar with youth soccer, where a 2nd yellow is an automatic red.  I assume that's the same in MLS.)

Second yellow is an automatic red. He was saying it shouldn't have been a yellow. Which is dumb, because there were at least three tackles Ring made that could have been yellows in the second half and the ref had just told him to cut it out.

Also, the first red of Ring's MLS career. Could be pretty tricky for Lil Sebastian vs LA Galaxy this week.

3 minutes ago, skittlebrau said:

Second yellow is an automatic red. He was saying it shouldn't have been a yellow. Which is dumb, because there were at least three tackles Ring made that could have been yellows in the second half and the ref had just told him to cut it out.

Thanks, that's how I thought it played out, Wolff just didn't phrase it very well, I guess.

2 minutes ago, BurdineBandit said:

Our forwards look like they've never played with each other. Pochettino and Cecilio look slow and lacking in ideas. 

we keep trying to pass off the ball inside the 18 instead of looking for space and shooting.