Classic Car thread

TexasEd

Finally had some time to weld in the DS floorpan.

All stitched up.

46543401505_5c95fb9ec1_k.jpg

And it's in.  Not going to win in beauty awards, but it's solid.   Had a hell of a time working around the bump at the gear shift.

46735607794_f6d9465c72_k.jpg

Decided to go ahead and replace my roached battery apron.   Those factory plug welds are a bitch to find.

46543403255_43293b67e5_k.jpg

Secured in tight, and she's in.  

33582408968_e482cbb631_k.jpg

46543419725_f8891f4cfa_k.jpg

Per Mopar will be doing the seam sealer sometime soon.

Edited by Mach 1
  • Like 2

On 3/20/2019 at 5:57 PM, Buzzrock said:

Holy crap

https://www.smokymountaintraders.com/cars-for-sale/427/1962-chevrolet-impala

$250K for an Impala. And yeah the model is nice too.

1962-chevrolet-impala

That car is awesome. But I just don't like dropping the ride height. I prefer very close to original. That could be that our roads up are are just shit and I can't really imagine driving around with the car's body inches off the road. 

At least we can see that the gal comes with her own "airbags", so to speak.

1 minute ago, PittsburghTiger said:

That car is awesome. But I just don't like dropping the ride height. I prefer very close to original. That could be that our roads up are are just shit and I can't really imagine driving around with the car's body inches off the road. 

At least we can see that the gal comes with her own "airbags", so to speak.

That cars looks will be around longer than her body holds up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jkwellborn said:

I really want a Delorean.

They seem to be in a weird spot in the collerctor market.  Some say they're shit regardless of condition, some say they're a turning heads car ready for appreciation.  Bids have failed up to $5Ok for low mileage ones, but here's a few that have actually sold.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1982-delorean-dmc-12-3/

1982 DeLorean DMC-12

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1981-delorean-dmc-12-13/

17k-Mile 1981 DeLorean DMC-12 5-Speed

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1982-delorean-dmc-12-2/

12k-Mile 1982 DeLorean DMC-12 5-Speed

And I saw this one the other day on the road.  Not sure what to think.  Either it was used on the movie or the owner is a serious fan and meticulously restored.

47391222792_66f68785a0_z.jpg

They’re real hard to get in and out of and you can’t see for shit. You can only roll down that teeny little vent window too. Hard to pick up your coffee at the drive through that way. But they look pretty danged cool in a brutal wedge kind of way.

At the last museum the docent told me someone had bought all the extra parts from the factory, built about 200, and sometime this year they were doing to auction them. So in 2019 you’ll be able to get a factory new 1982 DeLorean.

2 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

They’re real hard to get in and out of and you can’t see for shit. You can only roll down that teeny little vent window too. Hard to pick up your coffee at the drive through that way. But they look pretty danged cool in a brutal wedge kind of way.

At the last museum the docent told me someone had bought all the extra parts from the factory, built about 200, and sometime this year they were doing to auction them. So in 2019 you’ll be able to get a factory new 1982 DeLorean.

Ugly, POS, vehicles.   Didn't like them when they were introduced, and they haven't grown on me in the interim. They must have had a team of crack, Japanese car designers on that team.  No style, proportion or scale. Looks like a student design competition entry. 

Yep, that company is in Humble, Texas.

Ugly, POS, vehicles.   Didn't like them when they were introduced, and they haven't grown on me in the interim. They must have had a team of crack, Japanese car designers on that team.  No style, proportion or scale. Looks like a student design competition entry. 

Wat. It was designed by legendary Italian designer Giorgetto Giugiaro. Not sure what the Japanese have to do with it.

8 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Yep, that company is in Humble, Texas.

Wat. It was designed by legendary Italian designer Giorgetto Giugiaro. Not sure what the Japanese have to do with it.

Because that's what Japanese design looked like, stuff that could be in a space Sci Fi flick..... B grade.  It looks very little like Italian design IMO. It's clumsy, and ill proportioned.  It wasn't as bad in the 80's, but the design is even more stale now. Good design is timeless and doesn't look tired or old.  It's like a kit car.

Because that's what Japanese design looked like, stuff that could be in a space Sci Fi flick..... B grade.  It looks very little like Italian design IMO. It's clumsy, and ill proportioned.  It wasn't as bad in the 80's, but the design is even more stale now. Good design is timeless and doesn't look tired or old.  It's like a kit car.

I just don’t get the Japanese connection here. Reminds me more of a Bricklin or early 80s Esprit more than anything else.

The early 80s was a pretty poor time for cars in general. Not much from then is really revered now. I don’t disagree with the kit car vibe but maybe you just really dislike Japanese stuff?

Just now, Anton Chigurh said:

I just don’t get the Japanese connection here. Reminds me more of a Bricklin or early 80s Esprit more than anything else.

The early 80s was a pretty poor time for cars in general. Not much from then is really revered now. I don’t disagree with the kit car vibe but maybe you just really dislike Japanese stuff?

Love the late 70's Z. My dad had a 240.  Fastest care I've ever driven. I should have been dead as a 16 year old driver. 

The Japanese design became a bit choppy and boxy into the 80's (think Honda Prelude). The Lotus EsprIts had pretty nice proportions IMO.  Pretty clean lines that said speed.  Deloreans never gave me that feel.  Yeah it does have a Biot of a Bricklin feel

Also, anyone here know someone in Houston that could help me dress up my LS motor? I’ve found a look I like that I think would look killer on my car. Coil covers and a new intake manifold.

My engine:
2e3eed64e971463b8e7b13e45d1ccb63.jpg

Holley Sniper intake and some coil covers on an LS motor at a car show I was at Saturday:
be5a275f57103d19aec383538bafae04.jpg

3 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

That's a beautiful 240z. I like how simple it is, clean, but simple.

Yep, clean lines.  Very sexy lines.

The engine bay is a wonder to see.  There's stuff crammed  in every inch. Knew of a guy who dropped a 350 chevy short block in one.  The engine mounts line up almost perfectly apparently. 

On 3/24/2019 at 1:16 PM, Mach 1 said:

Finally had some time to weld in the DS floorpan.

All stitched up.

46543401505_5c95fb9ec1_k.jpg

And it's in.  Not going to win in beauty awards, but it's solid.   Had a hell of a time working around the bump at the gear shift.

46735607794_f6d9465c72_k.jpg

Decided to go ahead and replace my roached battery apron.   Those factory plug welds are a bitch to find.

46543403255_43293b67e5_k.jpg

Secured in tight, and she's in.  

33582408968_e482cbb631_k.jpg

46543419725_f8891f4cfa_k.jpg

Per Mopar will be doing the seam sealer sometime soon.

Nice work on the floor pans. Did both sides I’m my Chevelle last summer. After butt Welding the pans I put the body on a wooden tip over jig (redneck rotisserie or whatever people are calling it), sprayed epoxy, seam sealed and sprayed Raptor Liner on the underside. It hides a lot of welding sins. 

On 4/3/2019 at 12:04 PM, Anton Chigurh said:

2+2s just don’t do it for me. But it’s still cool.

Came to post that.  A car like that shouldn’t have a backseat, plus the back side windows had a goofy shape on the 2+2.  I had a ‘78 280z. Last year of that body style.  Loved it.  I’ve never driven a more fun or faster car.  

2 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yep, clean lines.  Very sexy lines.

The engine bay is a wonder to see.  There's stuff crammed  in every inch. Knew of a guy who dropped a 350 chevy short block in one.  The engine mounts line up almost perfectly apparently. 

Did he add heads and manifolds, or did he just leave it at the short block. 

• Like 1