BigOrange1

Surly Boxing Thread

I hate that immediate rematch shit. Wilder should have to fight Joshua for the right to fight Fury again. Fury beat his ass twice already and only corrupt judging kept Wilder from getting 2 Ls

35 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

I hate that immediate rematch shit. Wilder should have to fight Joshua for the right to fight Fury again. Fury beat his ass twice already and only corrupt judging kept Wilder from getting 2 Ls

Yea but why would Joshua grant Wilder a fight? Joshua wants the belts. He has no reason to fight a Wilder that doesn’t have any belts. 
Not that I disagree with your overall point just saying it’s not that simple.

Wilder just lost and Joshua is just coming off reclaiming his belt after losing as well. That's why they should both have to fight each other to see who gets the right to go after the undefeated champion.

Unless there's somebody else besides Wilder in the heavyweight division who should fight Joshua instead for that chance. Wilder got dominated for every round except 1 or 2 over the course of 2 fights with Fury so I'm not too keen on watching him get dominated by Fury a third time. 

22 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

Wilder just lost and Joshua is just coming off reclaiming his belt after losing as well. That's why they should both have to fight each other to see who gets the right to go after the undefeated champion.

Unless there's somebody else besides Wilder in the heavyweight division who should fight Joshua instead for that chance. Wilder got dominated for every round except 1 or 2 over the course of 2 fights with Fury so I'm not too keen on watching him get dominated by Fury a third time. 

I’m saying there is no reason for Joshua to fight anyone other than Fury. Yea Joshua lost but he still has 4 belts. He’s gonna fight tuneups for the most part I would bet until it’s time for the super fight, whether that is vs Fury or Wilder. He’s not gonna fight anyone for the right to anything. He’s the most unified of the champions technically. 

And I agree with you and unless Wilder develops an entirely new way of boxing over the next 5 months then I don’t think he stands must chance again.

Apple don’t fall far from the tree, Floyd’s girl cut a bitch. 

Singer and social media celebrity Iyanna “Yaya” Mayweather, the daughter of boxer Floyd Mayweather, was arrested early Saturday on suspicion of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, according to court documents.

Mayweather, 19, was taken to a jail in Harris County, Texas, around 1:30 a.m. after a 25-year-old woman was stabbed and hospitalized, said Capt. Jonathan Zitzmann of the Harris County Precinct 4 Constable's Office. The woman suffered non-life threatening injuries and underwent surgery, he said.

An altercation between Mayweather, rapper NBA Youngboy and a woman named Lapattra Lashai Jacobs turned violent Friday night, prompting law enforcement to show up at the rapper's home and arrest Mayweather, according to TMZ, which first reported the arrest.

Zitzmann said police arrived at the scene after emergency medical staff responded to a 911 call shortly before 7 p.m. The medical staff that helped the injured woman contacted police and alerted them to the possible altercation.

NBA Youngboy, born Kentrell DeSean Gaulden, and Mayweather used to be in a relationship. Jacobs has a child with the rapper, according to TMZ.

"I can confirm that one of the witnesses interviewed by police at the scene is named Kentrell," Zitzmann said.

Mayweather was released from jail on $30,000 bond, online records show. Her next court date is scheduled for Monday.

That's a weird ass list. Is it only fights ESPN can legally show? Because there's far greater fights than Tyson v Spinks and OdLJ v a washed up Chavez. 

I mean... None of the Gatti v Ward matches? 

Tyson still looks like he could end my life with one punch

Posted (edited)
On 5/2/2020 at 10:51 AM, Blotto said:

Tyson still looks like he could end my life with one punch

It is intriguing to see. I just can't get around how much smaller Tyson is than today's group. I do think he'd have a good shot at the Wilder we saw get clobbered by Fury. Maybe if Wilder developed more he would be too much for a younger Tyson. As for Fury, he's almost a foot taller, probably about 40 pounds heavier. I'd watch it though.

Edited by PittsburghTiger

On 5/23/2020 at 10:12 PM, ss13 said:

Tyson/Spinks about to start (& end) on ESPN. 

He didn't want to be there. I remember going to the Civic Arena in Pittsburgh to watch it on the big screen.

My son (10) and his buddy have taken enough of a recent interest in boxing that we sent them to an introductory boxing lesson this past weekend at a local gym. They each got ~60 minutes of a private lesson. The thought is to recruit 1 more buddy (to defray cost) and send them as a group of 3, once per week over the summer. 

I haven't read the entire thread carefully. Does anyone here have kids training to box? If so, what age? Where do you train? What benefits do you see? Do your kids like it? Stick with it? We're in the Houston area and have started at Baby Bull Boxing. It seems like something my son might want to stick with, so I'm starting to nose around.

Posted (edited)

Check out the records of the opponents on this weird-ass Kansas card. 

Two of the boxers on the card are bantamweight Shawn Simpson (11-0, 3 KOs) and junior lightweight Desmond Jarmon (8-0, 4 KOs), who are training in Omaha, Nebraska. The duo told ESPN that they have no concerns about the lack of coronavirus testing.

"I feel like if they take everybody's temperature, then everything should be good," said Simpson, who faces Dakota Lester (3-9-1, 3 KOs) in a scheduled six-rounder.

Jarmon, who is lined up against Mike Fowler (7-27, 2 KOs), said, "I feel everything's going to be OK as long as everyone keeps their social distancing."

https://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/id/29253458/hybrid-combat-card-moves-kansas-locations-covid-19-testing

Edited by ss13

Live card on ESPN now. Metcalf/Cash fight just ended on a headbutt. 

Shakur Stevenson vs. Felix Caraballo, 10 rounds, junior lightweights

Jared Anderson vs. Johnnie Langston, 6 rounds, heavyweights

Guido Vianello vs. Donald Haynesworth, 6 rounds, heavyweights

Robeisy Ramirez vs. Yeuri Andujar, 6 rounds, featherweights

Calvin Metcalf vs. Quatavious Cash, 6 rounds, middleweights

Since everyone was so pumped the other night, more live fights on ESPN now. 

Sonny had a solid uppercut in the 4th and started connecting well. He is fighting scared.

Finished well there however

Edited by Zepol87