The unofficial "There's no way you don't like this song" thread

Slacks

22 hours ago, noharleyyet said:

First reaction:  Who is Tedeschi Trucks?

Second reaction: Apparently they are popular.  Look at all those people.

Third reaction:  The song was OK until it she started singing. 

So, no "Ice, Ice, Baby" yet?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bullneck said:

First reaction:  Who is Tedeschi Trucks?

Second reaction: Apparently they are popular.  Look at all those people.

Third reaction:  The song was OK until it she started singing. 

Wait, what?  I get that you might not know who Susan Tedeschi or Derek Trucks are, but what on earth is wrong with her voice?  I would put it up in the top 5 voices I've ever heard live.  She is a staggering good singer.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Wait, what?  I get that you might not know who Susan Tedeschi or Derek Trucks are, but what on earth is wrong with her voice?  I would put it up in the top 5 voices I've ever heard live.  She is a staggering good singer.

I don't put much value on rock/blues singing quality.  Unless you're an opera singer voice quality isn't a priority.  Look at Astrid Gilberto.  Terrible singer but look where it got her.

(Edit: I went back and listened to it again.  The guitar player I like.  But I'd have to say that knock-off blues singers like her are a dime a dozen.  I can remember reading in Rolling Stone how such and so a person was the "one of the five best harmonica players in the world."  Kind of like being the loudest whisperer, if you asked me).

Edited by Bullneck

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

So you roughly equate Lou Reed to Freddie Mercury?

Huh?  I don't remember mentioning either of those two guys.  

BUT, if your point is that Mercury had a great voice and Reed has a lousy voice but they are both accomplished artists, that's exactly my point.  Rock is about saying what you can say, regardless of ability.

Uh . . . OK.  What you're basically saying is that if you write your own material you get a pass.  You are only demanding virtuosity of classical singers because they're singing things they didn't write.

Really, I have no idea what point you are actually trying to make, but whatever it is, I'm pretty sure I disagree with it.

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

And Astrud Gilberto was a lot better than "terrible".  That's a tricky song and she hit every interval.

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

Of course.

Skip to 41:00.  I don't know if she's a limited singer or just nervous (maybe both).  

We're fucking up this thread, you know.

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Uh . . . OK.  What you're basically saying is that if you write your own material you get a pass.  You are only demanding virtuosity of classical singers because they're singing things they didn't write.

Well, I think Mercury and Reed both wrote their own material.  But yeah, Johnny Ramone couldn't sing anything but songs by the Ramones.  That was good enough.  

Yes, we're fucking up this thread, but to suggest that superior vocal ability singing one's own rock/blues material is no different than shitty vocal ability at same seems ridiculous.  Whatever, as you say, it's not in the context of the thread.

8 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yes, we're fucking up this thread, but to suggest that superior vocal ability singing one's own rock/blues material is no different than shitty vocal ability at same seems ridiculous.  Whatever, as you say, it's not in the context of the thread.

First, let me say that I will vote for just about anything from Squeeze (thread topic related!)  

1. Superior vocal ability+superior music
  2. Bad vocal ability+superior music
  3. Superior vocal ability+lousy music
  4. Bad vocal ability+lousy music

Those are the choices. 

#1 can be any genre of music.  Doesn't matter.  It's good.  

#2 can still be good.  See: Joey Ramone or Johnny Rotten 

#3 maybe some people will listen, but not me. Seems like most of those Voice/American Idol shows fall into this category

#4 no one will listen, not even the parents

Just now, Bullneck said:

1. Superior vocal ability+superior music
  2. Bad vocal ability+superior music
  3. Superior vocal ability+lousy music
  4. Bad vocal ability+lousy music

That's a pretty succinct summary of my thoughts as well, and I think Tedeschi Trucks (on that song) nail it.  I would never have thought it would be fodder for this thread, but I don't dispute it.

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

BTW, where would you rank Joe Strummer in the pantheon of great singers?  

Pretty sure this song, a pair of Koss headphones, and an Altec Lansing reel-to-reel are the reason I don't have much hearing left.

Edited by Bullneck
  • Like 1