tAll Encompassing Disney Thread

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2021 at 5:25 AM, kmac30 said:

Got here yesterday. Up early to try and book Rise of the Resistance. Wife is stressed. Trip will be smooth sailing as long as this works out.

We are going in a month.  Spring Break.  I had the fast pass thing down, but how do things work now?  Do you book rides/attractions the morning of?

The only one I believe that has anything close to a Fastpass is Rise of the Resistance but that's more for you to get a board group and a time window to return to stand in line. 

So you're going to WDW and standing in lines again like it's the pre-FP+ days.

FP might return in the summer but not till the capacity is increased. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 1

No fast pass and it’s glorious. No stressing about getting to any ride by a certain time. The rise of the resistance is a pain in the ass, but if you wake up and do it right you should land a time. We didn’t have a problem (it’s also not spring break). Lines have been super short. We rode Everest in Animal Kingdom 8 times before 9 this morning (kids favorite). We did the Avatar ride in 20 min, space mountain line is as long as it takes to walk the length, Big Thunder Is 20 min, millennium falcon was 20 min at one point 2 days ago. Rock and roll rollercoaster got long, but not real bad. 7 dwarfs was long all 3 days.

If you’re going to make a light saber, book it for after the park closes if you can. We had a 7:25 appt and got to hit some rides right at 7 with zero lines. It was an awesome experience for my 7 yr old son.

The only thing that got me were these cards some ppl had. They were bypassing lines and we couldn’t figure out why. Not sure if it was ride switching or handicap, but it was weird.

• Hook 'Em 2

Went to WDW yesterday. We've been watching the wait times for the past few weeks and it's starting to increase each week. 

With the park reservation system and the Rise of the Resistance ride in Hollywood Studios, most of the crowds go to Hollywood Studios in the morning. Tower of Terror, Slinky Dog Dash, Mickey/Minnie Railway all had 60 minute waits. The other parks are a lot emptier than Hollywood Studios.

If you want to do the Rise of the Resistance, read up on the strategy to get a place in line. We didn't get a place during the 7am queue but did get a place during the 1pm queue. The ride was the highlight of the day.

1 hour ago, kmac30 said:

If you’re going to make a light saber, book it for after the park closes if you can. We had a 7:25 appt and got to hit some rides right at 7 with zero lines. It was an awesome experience for my 7 yr old son.

This is excellent advice - lots of families start to leave around dinner, so if you can make it past 6pm, the wait times decrease substantially.

1 hour ago, kmac30 said:

The only thing that got me were these cards some ppl had. They were bypassing lines and we couldn’t figure out why. Not sure if it was ride switching or handicap, but it was weird.

We asked an employee - they said they were disabled or similar access. 

zman, probably passed you at some point.

If anyone wants some solid advice on the ROTR queue, let me know. We had a girl who was there 2 weeks ago give us very detailed instructions and they worked great.

We started our week Monday at Hollywood Studios, then Magic Kingdom Tuesday (light saber building 7:25 HS) and Animal Kingdom/Magic Kingdom Wednesday.

I also think the bus system sucks. We stayed at Bay Lakes and got caught on a bus Sunday night coming back from Disney Springs. Ubered the rest of the trip. Drivers knew exactly where to go for drop offs and pick ups. Definitely made life easier.

15 hours ago, kmac30 said:

If anyone wants some solid advice on the ROTR queue, let me know. We had a girl who was there 2 weeks ago give us very detailed instructions and they worked great.

We started our week Monday at Hollywood Studios, then Magic Kingdom Tuesday (light saber building 7:25 HS) and Animal Kingdom/Magic Kingdom Wednesday.

I also think the bus system sucks. We stayed at Bay Lakes and got caught on a bus Sunday night coming back from Disney Springs. Ubered the rest of the trip. Drivers knew exactly where to go for drop offs and pick ups. Definitely made life easier.

Definitely would like advice on ROTR.  We are going 4 days over SB.  My park reservations as of now are..

Monday - MK

Tuesday - Hollywood Studios

Wednesday - MK

We have park hopper, so figured we'd hit Animal Kingdom either Tuesday or Wednesday afternoon.  Epcot may or may not be a part of this trip.  Good advice on the Uber

Thursday we are meeting friends at Universal.

6 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

We have park hopper, so figured we'd hit Animal Kingdom either Tuesday or Wednesday afternoon.  Epcot may or may not be a part of this trip.  Good advice on the Uber

Thursday we are meeting friends at Universal.

There is no park hopping allowed presently(park hopping may never return as the park reservation policy has been extended into 2022) You also have to make a reservation in your My Disney Experience portal for the park you'll be going to that day. It appears Disney has found a way to get people like me to buy tickets months in advance instead making room only reservations and buying tickets a few days before arrival as you can't make park reservations without valid tickets for all members of your party.

Things are always easier mixing in some uber/Minnie Van rides.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

I’ll take em. We’ll be there in 3 weeks. Wife’s doing basically everything but wouldn’t hurt to read it
On 2/26/2021 at 4:16 PM, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Never mind I see they reinstated park hoppers 3 months ago.

A little more details. You are allowed to park hop to any park at 2pm.

So if you want to do the new Star Wars ride, you need a park reservation for Hollywood Studios for that day. Because they only open the virtual queue for the ride at 7am and 1pm...which is conveniently before the 2pm park hopper time.

On 2/27/2021 at 8:38 PM, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I’ll take em. We’ll be there in 3 weeks. Wife’s doing basically everything but wouldn’t hurt to read it

Here's what I learned/was told:

- Stay on cellular, not wifi

- Use the fastest phone in your group

- have one person watch the time while another person tries to join

- when it gets close to the time, start doing page refreshes (on an iphone, pull down) to refresh the page

- be ready to go fast when the join button pop-ups - you need to move very quickly. You will have seconds to do it. All the reservations will be gone in under 10 seconds

• 2 weeks later...

Disneyland is reopening in late April. I believe it's opening at 15% capacity...or the capacity we would've seen had we been able to take our early June trip there last summer. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Bob Chopak said Disneyland reopens on April 30th. They need the extra time to train cast members on protocols and get the rides back up to OSHA standards as they've all been dark for over a year now. They're slated to open at 15% and only to California residents. There's some thought that with vaccine distribution going well in CA that they may be able to open at 25%. So out of staters are probably looking at 2022. They're going to take a lot of the practices from WDW including a park reservation system. No Maxpass, no Fastpass, no parades, no fireworks, no park hopping. I can only imagine how slammed that site will be when it goes live. Lots of Disney blue balls from the lifers out there in Southern California. 

Posted (edited)

Just got back from Spring Break. 

1. Regarding Covid, masks everywhere, all the time unless you’re stationary and eating/drinking.  Employees are constantly monitoring  

2. Roughly 8 foot distanced markers are set up in every line. 90% of the folks in line don’t distance. Employees DGAF. I tried my best to get my boys (12,10,8) to stop at the lines but when you’re in the Splash Mtn line for 60 minutes it’s just not going to happen.  I did chuckle at an older couple that got onto one of my kids for getting too close to them.  They weren’t necessarily wrong as my son certainly crossed the marked line, but if you’re that wound up (they were constantly checking out everyone’s distancing) maybe Disney World at Spring Break isn’t the best place for you  

3. Dining sucks. Maybe it was just Spring Break, but with a bunch of places shut down, and capacity limited, the options just weren’t great. 

4. Lines weren’t that bad. They usually overstated the wait. Most popular rides were 45 minutes max  

5. Rise of the Resistance was gone in about 2 seconds at 7:00am. Luckily got in at the 1:00 queue. 

6. Went to Universal one day. Disney at least tried on Covid precautions. You can tell they lead the way on coming up with protocols to open and even if the crowd there doesn’t care about the masks etc, they at least give it the old college try. Universal crowd truly doesn’t give a damn and no one monitors anything. That said, my youngest lost his mask on Hulk, and the lady working the ride had a disposable one for him.  I imagine it happens a lot  

7. If you don’t have Express passes at Universal, don’t even go. We let my oldest get it as he was meeting a bunch of buddies. But me and my younger two didn’t shell out the $350/ head extra and the lines were brutal. 

Edited by Don Johnson

First night in the books, went to Epcot today. Very chill. Everyone masked. Dined at the garden grill so felt good to take the mask off for 45 min.

MK tomorrow/Wednesday, HS thurs, AK Friday

Like I said a few weeks ago...the lack of foreigners, is awesome

They're not even expanding beyond their footprint. They would just be knocking down existing Disney buildings, parking lots, and cast backlot areas to do this. A lot of this would replace parking for their hotels and parks. Seems like a no-brainer to me but I'd imagine someone, somewhere will have a problem with it. I'd imagine this past year without Disneyland has shown the area just how intertwined they are with the ecosystem. I can't imagine any of those hotels around Disneyland are doing well. 

I never considered once going back to Disney world the 15+ times Ive been back to Fla since the first time I went to DW/Fla back in 1995. But holy shit this a well oiled machine. I wish the damn meals weren’t 120+/meal..that gets old but after the belle castle and Cinderella castle experience...we can maybe cut back on those expensive ass meals next time

Never been to Hollywood studios before today...the resistance ride lived up to the hype but I’m sure i would be fine never riding it again in my life...very cool tho. I’m not a Star Wars nerd but fucking A..Star Wars world was absolutely amazing. I mean holy shit the $$$$ stuck into it must be in the billions.

I actually had more fun on the toy story mania ride and Hollywood hotel rides compared to the resistance . Also thought the Mickey/Minnie train ride for my little kids was cool that we went twice on it. I’d do HS again next year. Shout out to [mention]kmac30 [/mention] for the resistance for newbs tips...worked for the 7am shift on our first try.

We’ll be back to DW while the kids are younger...5 year old daughter is loving every second of it but damn this 5 parks in 5 days is for the birds. Pro tip...use kingdom strollers if you’re bringing little kids. They’re slick and you don’t need to bring your own.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
9 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Pro tip...use kingdom strollers if you’re bringing little kids. They’re slick and you don’t need to bring your own.

We brought our BOB stroller well past the point when our youngest needed it. Mainly to use as storage and a drink holder. 

We brought our BOB stroller well past the point when our youngest needed it. Mainly to use as storage and a drink holder. 

I can see that...hook the stupid heavy back holder to it saved my shoulders.

And avatar shits on every ride here...wow that was awesome
  • 3 weeks later...

Just got back from a quick trip.

• Parks all opened prior to posted park times, usually 30-45 minutes early
  • Masks everywhere, people compliant only saw 2 mask police
  • Magic Kingdom was empty early then got busier as the day went on
  • Got rise of the resistance boarding group, but the ride broke while we were in line and we ejected - will do it next time
  • Food was not an issue, had reservations for most meals but the mobile ordering worked well when we used it
  • Park hopper worked after 2 o'clock no issues getting into other parks
  • Ride lines weren't too bad
  • Most restaurants seem to be opened - only a few closed
  • Epcot was interesting as the let go a lot of the international workers due to COVID, our waiter at Rose and Crown was normally at Narcosis in Grand Floridian, he was not thrilled about being in the UK pavilion. Seems China,  Mexico and Japan had their normal workers.
On 3/20/2021 at 5:24 PM, Don Johnson said:

7. If you don’t have Express passes at Universal, don’t even go. We let my oldest get it as he was meeting a bunch of buddies. But me and my younger two didn’t shell out the $350/ head extra and the lines were brutal. 

I refuse to go to Universal without it and I've felt that way for years. I did go once with it when it probably wasn't necessary, but slow periods are becoming increasingly difficult to find.

On 3/25/2021 at 10:49 PM, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I never considered once going back to Disney world the 15+ times Ive been back to Fla since the first time I went to DW/Fla back in 1995. But holy shit this a well oiled machine. I wish the damn meals weren’t 120+/meal..that gets old but after the belle castle and Cinderella castle experience...we can maybe cut back on those expensive ass meals next time

Never been to Hollywood studios before today...the resistance ride lived up to the hype but I’m sure i would be fine never riding it again in my life...very cool tho. I’m not a Star Wars nerd but fucking A..Star Wars world was absolutely amazing. I mean holy shit the $$$$ stuck into it must be in the billions.

I actually had more fun on the toy story mania ride and Hollywood hotel rides compared to the resistance . Also thought the Mickey/Minnie train ride for my little kids was cool that we went twice on it. I’d do HS again next year. Shout out to [mention]kmac30 [/mention] for the resistance for newbs tips...worked for the 7am shift on our first try.

We’ll be back to DW while the kids are younger...5 year old daughter is loving every second of it but damn this 5 parks in 5 days is for the birds. Pro tip...use kingdom strollers if you’re bringing little kids. They’re slick and you don’t need to bring your own.

No doubt, Tower of Terror is probably the best attraction they've come up with since Horizons opened.