Poolflood

Yes: Pools are worth it....

Posted (edited)

Have a few questions for you pool guys, and much appreciate any and all thoughts. Moving in a couple of weeks and first order of business is to get a couple of pool companies out to spec out and quote me, so I'm trying to get informed.

- Is having the attached hot tub worth it? At the house now we have a fiberglass hot tub and it's pretty bad ass. I'm sort of torn between the pool/spa combo which is nice for obvious reasons, or saving $15k and doing the pool by itself, and getting a nice fiberglass hot tub and a nice gazebo or housing for it. 

- What am I getting myself into if I want to extend pool season to late April through October-ish? I've been quoted about $4k for a 400,000 BTU heater but what am I looking at in propane cost, etc.? Does anyone actually do this, or is this one of those things that sounds better than it actually ends up being?

- Is there something I'm missing on the darker finish pools? I think they look much better than the standard finish - is there a drawback to them?

- Any recs on pool builders in Central Texas (New Braunfels)? I have a couple guys I'm talking to, but I trust the Surly collective here.

Appreciate any feedback on this one. Hopefully I'll be posting from the new pool here next spring.

Edited by BradInATX

10 minutes ago, Hate said:

Yes. The spa is an essential add.

There are cheaper, more reliable methods of birth control available.

3 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

There are cheaper, more reliable methods of birth control available.

I have a toddler and a pregnant wife. Tell me more.

If u”you are gonna have a hot tub, attaching it to the pool seems esential as far as look goes. (In my opinion.
Darker pools mean hotter water (supposedly). Not sure if it messes with pool chemistry. The actual aggregate is what im worried about since I have small kids and the rougher pebble finishes could hurt their feet.
No builder recs here, kinda GCing it all myself. Subs are busy as hell and its tough getting gunite. If you sign soon make sure you get on the gunite companies schedule asap.

Darker pool coupled with adequate sunshine will enable you to use your pool earlier and later in the season without a heater. It will be hotter in July and August.

Don’t have a hut tub with my pool but have some friends who “sunk” a jacuzzi in a way that looked cool.

I have a toddler and a pregnant wife. Tell me more.

Get your wife to enjoy anal.

To add to the spa, there is nothing better than sitting in the spa on a cold night getting drunk. If you put a tv outside you will enjoy sitting in the spa and watching football.

I'd be worried about the darker plaster revealing calcium buildup more readily, but at the same time hiding algae buildup.

10 hours ago, Hate said:

Get your wife to enjoy anal.

To add to the spa, there is nothing better than sitting in the spa on a cold night getting drunk. If you put a tv outside you will enjoy sitting in the spa and watching football.

One of the things you said is good, new information that I hadn't considered yet. I'll let you guess which one.

8 hours ago, freyguy said:

I'd be worried about the darker plaster revealing calcium buildup more readily, but at the same time hiding algae buildup.

Well there's a pretty simple solution to both of those issues.....

We had gas heat on our pool at the house we sold. It could warm it from close to freezing to 85 degrees overnight in the middle of winter, but it cost about $100 each time we did it. Extending the seasons it wasn’t that bad because it ran periodically, but heat pumps are much more efficient and cheaper. They can’t operate once temps drop below a certain temp, but we rarely used ours when it got real cold. With the pool we are looking at doing now, we are going to run a heat pump and chiller on the pool and a gas heater on the spa.

One of the things you said is good, new information that I hadn't considered yet. I'll let you guess which one.

The tv is essential for outdoor living.

Tonight is one of those nights . Yes, it's worth the money pit hassle.a2241b70cccad85d8a751ee5458b9546.jpg

Excellent!

And the hot tub comments before ... if you have a hot tub and aren’t using it frequently in the winter you’re doing it wrong. Football, drinks, sex, relaxing, warming up, reading a book I mean in the winter we used our last one 3-4 times a week. It’s easily more used than the pool.

1 hour ago, troph said:

Excellent!

And the hot tub comments before ... if you have a hot tub and aren’t using it frequently in the winter you’re doing it wrong. Football, drinks, sex, relaxing, warming up, reading a book I mean in the winter we used our last one 3-4 times a week. It’s easily more used than the pool.

Exactly!

We love having a built in hot tub. Same water as the pool. Just heat it up. Plus it easily hold 10 people. It is WAY better than a fiberglass hot tub (which I think are kinda gross). Not even close.

We have our hot tub scheduled to heat up every Wednesday and the family looks forward to it. I'm the winter we will probably bump that up to 3x per week.

Right now the pool is 89 degrees, so the hot tub is less appealing except at night

The spa was also a great place for our son to learn how to swim. When he was old enough to walk, we put him in a life jacket and would play in the spa. He learned to get used to the water and always had a safe place to stand up when needed. He would “swim” across the part of the spa where there are no benches. It was also nice to have the spa on those warmer winter days for him to swim in. We could heat up the spa and let him play in there with all of his water toys while wearing a life jacket and he loved it.

These days it’s mainly me getting in and watching football during the fall and winter. I make up a little cooler with bourbon and ice and watch. It’s fantastic. Just make sure when you install your TV to put a sound bar on it with a Bluetooth bass speaker. You’ll want that especially if the spa is more than a few feet away from your tv.

Yeah- we heat the hot tub on thanksgiving and New Year’s Eve when family is over (much cheaper than heating whole pool) and it keeps kids out of the house for 2-3 hours. They inevitably jump in the freezing pool and get back in the hot tub.

Also find drinking in hot tub gets wife in the mood quicker.

On 7/14/2020 at 8:13 AM, williemackgarza said:

238fd6a27e302d41431a686fac54a87b.jpg
Finally making progress

how’s everything going? they just did rebar and rough ins for ours this week. waiting on inspection and then gunite. no idea on timelines yet. 

That’s a solid set up for this kids with the deep end, hot tub and slide. I won’t show my boys. No definitely won’t. Cool spot to “chilax” as my kids say and watch the littles as they splash around. I see beers and margaritas with the sun going down with water splashing around in your life very soon.

1449c19ef644df37ee37d19537db4ba0.jpg
Hoping to plaster this wed. Still need some work for slide/waterfall/ jump ledge area and cool cote on back sidewalk. I will finish those later when slide comes in. My kids wanna swim!!

I like the design. Shallows on the right? Do you mind sharing the size depth and ultimate cost?