CFB coaching carousel

Machinator

4 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Now this is fun:

Just an fyi... "It should be noted that Brady and Rhule share the same agent (Trace Armstrong), which only adds to the intrigue. Is Armstrong helping make the right connection between Brady and Rhule, or is Armstrong simply ensuring that his client (Brady) will get the best possible deal from LSU?"

Would be a genius move by Brady.  He has nowhere to go but down at LSU with Burrow leaving.  Go to the NFL as OC.  Get paid 7 figures.  If you do well, you get a HC job with bigtime $$$.  If you bomb, you go back to college still known as the guy who was awesome at LSU.

In fact, I wonder why more coaches don't test the NFL waters.  Make bank and even if you fail miserably, you're still held in high regard in college.  (See Petrino, Saban, Spurrier, Kelly).

Its like pausing your college career for 4-5 years to make a ton of money with zero negative affect on your college career.  Rhule could go 0-64 over the next 4 years and still get a great P5 job in college afterwards.

Edited by Don Johnson
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Farkimedes said:

Supposedly Gundy was very interested in 2016, but I don't know how true that is. I don't think it's a good fit anymore and would be really surprised to see it. 

Gundy never seems to recruit as well as he should in my opinion and I don't think he has the motivation for Baylor

he would be much better off taking a "lateral" move (or really a move down) to some program in the Big 10, ACC, or PAC 12

he would not be good in the SEC SEC SEC and any move in the Big 12 will just be more of the same at best and probably worse after his new program loses faith shortly after expecting more

Edited by ButtFumble

17 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Just an fyi... "It should be noted that Brady and Rhule share the same agent (Trace Armstrong), which only adds to the intrigue. Is Armstrong helping make the right connection between Brady and Rhule, or is Armstrong simply ensuring that his client (Brady) will get the best possible deal from LSU?"

Armstrong is also Coach Fuckface’s agent as well at Tim Beck’s. I assume he represents Urban Meyer too, but I don’t know that for sure. Armstrong used percentages after year one as a means of convincing Herman not to fire Beck then. Of course the guy knows how to easily manipulate one of his dumbest clients. 

21 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

Would be a genius move by Brady.  He has nowhere to go but down at LSU with Burrow leaving.  Go to the NFL as OC.  Get paid 7 figures.  If you do well, you get a HC job with bigtime $$$.  If you bomb, you go back to college still known as the guy who was awesome at LSU.

In fact, I wonder why more coaches don't test the NFL waters.  Make bank and even if you fail miserably, you're still held in high regard in college.  (See Petrino, Saban, Spurrier, Kelly).

Its like pausing your college career for 4-5 years to make a ton of money with zero negative affect on your college career.  Rhule could go 0-64 over the next 4 years and still get a great P5 job in college afterwards.

This is a great point. I don’t know why Riley hasn’t done it yet.

If Rhule can find a QB in the next 3 years he’s got a real good chance to be in Carolina for awhile. If he can’t, he’ll be at PennState / tOSU / Michigan in 4 years with a contract Jimbo would be jealous of.

• Like 1

West Virginia: Sources tell FootballScoop Penn State receivers coach / pass game coordinator Gerad Parker plans to join the West Virginia staff. Since the 2011 season Parker has coached at Marshall, Purdue, Cincinnati, Duke and Penn State. Parker is expected to receive the offensive coordinator title we hear.

West Virginia: As we reported earlier today, WVU has now named Gerad Parker offensive coordinator. With the move Matt Moore’s title has been adjusted to assistant head coach / offensive line (he previously had co-offensive coordinator title). WVU has also now confirmed the hire of Jeff Koonz.  Previously the Ole Miss linebackers coach, Koonz will now be the LB coach at WVU.

Oklahoma State: Washington Redskins quarterbacks coach Tim Rattay is joining the Oklahoma State staff in the same capacity. Rattay previously coached quarterbacks (and / or receivers) at Louisiana Tech from 2013-18.

TCU: Sources tell FootballScoop Gary Patterson is planning to hire Colorado State running backs coach / recruiting coordinator Bryan Applewhite. At TCU, sources tell us App will coach running backs.

Edited by LTtxfan

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Moorhead. Who was originally kept on bc they made a bowl, but then their QB got his jaw broken fighting a teammate during bowl prep and he got canned.

So beating Ole Miss got them to 6-6 and a bowl, which only temporarily extended Moorhead?

Is that the connection? Or did one rival replacing a coach prompt the other to do the same? 

25 minutes ago, berlinerbaer said:

So beating Ole Miss got them to 6-6 and a bowl, which only temporarily extended Moorhead?

Is that the connection? Or did one rival replacing a coach prompt the other to do the same? 

Dog peeing incident.... Ole Miss Coach fired

Miss State Coach fired Moorhead cause offense sucked and he's the former OC for Pedo State.  Off-the-field issues and the ugly bowl loss against Louisville were the last straw -- Moorhead not a good culture fit!!

https://www.si.com/college/2020/01/03/mississippi-state-fires-head-coach-joe-moorhead

Here's 5 Head Coaching Jobs changed per Twitter statement in @texifornia post above:

1. Kiffin hired by Ole Miss (Left FAU)
  2. Willie Taggert hired at FAU
  3. Pirate hired by Miss State (Left Wazzu)
  4. Wazzu hires Nick Rolovich (Left Hawai'i)
  5. Open Head Coaching job at Univ. Hawai'i

Edited by LTtxfan

26 minutes ago, berlinerbaer said:

One might imply that the huge wave of attention brought on by the Kiffin hire at the flagship made State extra trigger-happy, and led to them making social media/public attention a big part of their hiring process, which led to Leach.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

Moorhead. Who was originally kept on bc they made a bowl, but then their QB got his jaw broken fighting a teammate during bowl prep and he got canned.

So Moorhead wouldn't have been fired if the Ole Miss player hadn't fake peed in the end zone and the Rebels had won the game? I call bullshit. You can't count any changes at MSU as being a result of that incident. 

1 minute ago, WhatTheBuck said:

So Moorhead wouldn't have been fired if the Ole Miss player hadn't fake peed in the end zone and the Rebels had won the game? I call bullshit. You can't count any changes at MSU as being a result of that incident. 

IMO, if Ole Miss had simply lost the game in a fashion that did not include dog peeing, Matt Luke would've been retained.  Had Luke been retained, I don't think there would've been as much pressure for MSU to make a move.

I explained the second part of the reasoning in the post above yours. It's all a bit tenuous but cmon it's hilarious. Highly-paid grown men around the country getting fired and hired, huge fanbases tracking their every move, people's destinies changing, and all because Elijah Moore did a fake pee in the endzone during the Egg Bowl.

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I explained the second part of the reasoning in the post above yours. It's all a bit tenuous but cmon it's hilarious. Highly-paid grown men around the country getting fired and hired, huge fanbases tracking their every move, people's destinies changing, and all because Elijah Moore did a fake pee in the endzone during the Egg Bowl.

A bit tenuous? I'd say that's a gross understatement. Just because someone tweeted that the coaching change at MSU was connected to the fake peeing incident doesn't make it true. You don't have to come up with rationalizations to explain why it might be true. Consider the possibility that Jason Kirk is a moron. I find that a lot easier to believe than the notion that losing the Egg Bowl is what Moorhead needed to do in order to save his job. 

A bit tenuous? I'd say that's a gross understatement. Just because someone tweeted that the coaching change at MSU was connected to the fake peeing incident doesn't make it true. You don't have to come up with rationalizations to explain why it might be true. Consider the possibility that Jason Kirk is a moron. I find that a lot easier to believe than the notion that losing the Egg Bowl is what Moorhead needed to do in order to save his job. 

giphy.gif

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

But what if we instead consider the possibility, and stay with me here, that you're taking yourself way too fucking seriously and seem like a moron here? You know, just for argument's sake.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

But what if we instead consider the possibility, and stay with me here, that you're taking yourself way too fucking seriously and seem like a moron here? You know, just for argument's sake.

Fine. Someone said something stupid in a tweet and some people believed it. I'll get out of your way and let you play along.