Iconic Debut Albums

PencilPusher

5 hours ago, tbone_ said:

I listen to the comedy channel on sirius from time time. Sometimes they play weird al shit. I never paid attention to him back in the day but I'll be damned if they don't crack me up every time now. Just yesterday I heard Taco Grande. Dude is a seriously underrated talent.

Listen to "Polkas on 45"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oS5Dc6u1j8o

2 hours ago, shakahorn said:

I like Bad Company.  Although I've long said, if your first album has the same name as the band and the same name as your first hit song, you probably won't be around for long.  See: Big Country.  Bad Company is the exception to this rule.  How about this one:

81XckuQxziL._SX425_.jpg

A ton of great music on that album:

TracklistHide Credits

Plus, that album got them into the Rock & Roll hall of Fame:  https://www.rockhall.com/inductees/chicago

On 9/11/2018 at 11:17 AM, tbone_ said:

I listen to the comedy channel on sirius from time time. Sometimes they play weird al shit. I never paid attention to him back in the day but I'll be damned if they don't crack me up every time now. Just yesterday I heard Taco Grande. Dude is a seriously underrated talent.

I think he's also an underrated musician. People hear the comedy and miss this musician.

5 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Errr . . . sophomore release for that lineup, yeah.

6th solo album.

1. Totally new band, sound, and direction, imo. Clock reset with "Fleetwood Mac."

2. Yeah, you's right. In my mind, Michael pre-Quincy isn't even a thing. But, yeah, he cut some songs before. 

Mark him off then.

Edited by BoomMF

9 hours ago, irockalltherocks said:

Led Zeppelin II might have something to say about that.

The thing about Paul's Boutique was that is was such a radical departure from the first album. It took years for people to catch on. That radio station did the 24 hours of Paul's Boutique to celebrate the 25th anniversary, and it was fascinating. So much there to dig into. I'm as big a Zep fan as there is, and I think Paul's Boutique is a more interesting album than Zeppelin II.

On 9/14/2018 at 6:44 PM, Deej said:

The thing about Paul's Boutique was that is was such a radical departure from the first album. It took years for people to catch on. That radio station did the 24 hours of Paul's Boutique to celebrate the 25th anniversary, and it was fascinating. So much there to dig into. I'm as big a Zep fan as there is, and I think Paul's Boutique is a more interesting album than Zeppelin II.

I honestly had no idea it was #2.  It feels like an experimental "we're just gonna do whatever we want because we've already sold a bajillion albums" effort.  Like Sgt. Pepper's or some such.

On 9/12/2018 at 6:51 PM, shakahorn said:

I like Bad Company.  Although I've long said, if your first album has the same name as the band and the same name as your first hit song, you probably won't be around for long.  See: Big Country.  Bad Company is the exception to this rule.  How about this one:

81XckuQxziL._SX425_.jpg

Maybe that's why they changed their name after the first album.

1 hour ago, DougO said:

Maybe that's why they changed their name after the first album.

Chicago Transit Authority vs Chicago Transit Authority

chicago transit authority Audio Archaeology: When A Bands Name Isnt Theirs!

"Lets go back some distance for our first one. The band Chicago does in fact hail from the Windy City. In fact many of the band members first met while attending DePaul University. Originally named The Big Thing, after adding their seventh member, vocalist Peter Cetera, the band was signed to a deal with Columbia Records in 1968.  Shortly thereafter, the band changed its name to Chicago Transit Authority.

Less than a year after signing with Columbia, the band debuted with the self-titled The Chicago Transit Authority (informally called CTA).  The album was a unique property being a double-disc release (a rarity for a debut), filled with jazz-like instrumentation and Latin elements blended with a slight abstract experimentation with feedback-laden rhythm. Despite the description, the sound was a perfect fit for early FM radio and eventually sold over a million copies in the year following its release. With the success of the album and the single Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is, it was only a matter of time until someone took notice.

Within months of the albums release, the band had officially shortened its name to simply Chicago after being threatened with legal action. It seemed that the actual Chicago Transit Authority did not take too kindly to some hometown boys mixing it up with the rock and roll. Thankfully, the city didnt feel the same."

https://consequenceofsound.net/2010/09/audio-archaeology-when-a-bands-name-isnt-theirs/

Edited by DalTxHornFan
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...