Chris Nelson

elguapo

26 minutes ago, Machinator said:

He's not Poona; he doesn't have the same kind of impact in the pass game that Poona did. But I'm glad he's here, he's been a rock in the run game.

i meant he is an undervalued asset that works hard and has a marginal shot to make the NFL.  But construe it as you wish. 

15 minutes ago, ousux said:
29 minutes ago, UTEX_ME said:
part of Strong's first class, redshirted and is making some noise now. Glad to see someone go through the whole process and get results. 

Are he and Beck the only ones left from the '14 transition class?

Heard and Rodriguez were also in that class.

Just now, HtownHorn said:

Wilbon also had a great game. The NG position is well stocked for the foreseeable future, especially if Coburn is ready to contribute next year as a RS Fr.

Underrated part of Nelson returning is that we can bring along Wilbon without having to force him immediately into starter-level snaps.

2 hours ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Yeah he's starting to play really well. Wish he'd share his secrets with Hager and Omenihu. 

It's by design.  The DE role in orlandos scheme is to force the tackles to take them on so the offense has to try and use less athletic guards and center to try and get upfield to block the LBs, or force the guards to double team with the tackles.  

If the DEs are doing their jobs perfectly they are completely disrupting the offense by forcing a G-T double team while stuffing the B gaps. This leaves the nose in a 1 on 1 with the center and he's mashing one of the A gaps, MIke or Will is mashing the other A gap and you have stuffed the interior run game with fewer numbers.

pushing the play to the outside where you have more athletic defenders and better numbers. 

I would say the scheme worked very well yesterday. We had 3 picks because we had numbers mismatch in coverage. And because Caden stearns is fucking WOLF.  

• Like 2

Uh, we had three picks because Turpin isn't a QB and Sterns is a baller, Sterns undercut a pass the TCU QB was staring down, and Jones intercepted a woefully under thrown ball to a wide open wheel route at the pylon. 

Your point stands over the course of the season, but it wasn't why we picked three off yesterday.

He's been an underrated player here for a couple of years so it is nice to see him get some of the spotlight after stringing together some big games. If he continues to play well he may be able to catch on in the NFL as a 3-4 end or a 4-3 1-tech/NT.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Uh, we had three picks because Turpin isn't a QB and Sterns is a baller, Sterns undercut a pass the TCU QB was staring down, and Jones intercepted a woefully under thrown ball to a wide open wheel route at the pylon. 

Your point stands over the course of the season, but it wasn't why we picked three off yesterday.

Stearns wasn't primary coverage on either int, Boyd was getting burned on the Turpin one and the other he stepped in front of the receiver, and both cases are the result of him being free due to numbers mismatch. 

Watch that trick play again, it is a perfect example of how this defense is supposed to work against an RPO and happens it worked really well on the trick play also.  

Of course Boyd got burned and if stearns wasn't as fast and quick to recognize, it might have Ben a big play for them. 

Sterns bailed to play center field and then drifted with the play before breaking to the sideline on the trick play. That wasn’t a numbers mismatch. That was him playing center field very well. 

If have to see the second pick again, but that looked like you basic cover three playing 5 under and Sterns was the box safety. Sorry, going off memory there. 

I think Ojomo has more potential than Coburn.
Based on what? Coburn made the bigger splash in HS, and neither have seen the field at the next level yet..

Don't get me wrong, I think Ojomo may eventually have the higher ceiling, but too early to really put one before the other.

I think you might be misunderstanding my numbers mismatch quote.  By stuffing the run with fewer defenders at the LOS and in run support, we have a numbers mismatch defending the passing game.  having 5 cover 3 in man or zone is good, on both ints stearns was free to make a play

the second one was hard to see from a low angle but someone else was on the receiver and stearns stepped into the lane and picked it. 

You obviously know a lot about schemes and the what and why, not trying to argue minutiae with you.  Mainly pointing out to people who are upset by our DL lack of stats that it's by design to stop the run using fewer defenders than they have to commit to executing so that we have the numbers on the edge and in pass defense for the reads and RPOs

I think you might be misunderstanding my numbers mismatch quote.  By stuffing the run with fewer defenders at the LOS and in run support, we have a numbers mismatch defending the passing game.  having 5 cover 3 in man or zone is good, on both ints stearns was free to make a play
the second one was hard to see from a low angle but someone else was on the receiver and stearns stepped into the lane and picked it. 
You obviously know a lot about schemes and the what and why, not trying to argue minutiae with you.  Mainly pointing out to people who are upset by our DL lack of stats that it's by design to stop the run using fewer defenders than they have to commit to executing so that we have the numbers on the edge and in pass defense for the reads and RPOs

Good point. In a traditional 4/3 scheme the DE will get gaudy sack numbers and tackles for a loss. Maybe Hager isn’t as weak as the stats imply.

16 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Good point. In a traditional 4/3 scheme the DE will get gaudy sack numbers and tackles for a loss. Maybe Hager isn’t as weak as the stats imply.

UGA runs a similar defense, their DEs have similar lack of stats.  The gaudy numbers are their rover and jack backer, and their safeties. 

Bama also runs that defense and their stats are safety, Will and they do have a monster DE buggs who destroys everything in his path.  He had 3 sacks, 3.5 TFL, 7 tackles, 2 QB hurried, and all while being double teamed by aggy.  It would be great to have a guy like that, but then again it would be great to have won 5 of the last 10 MNCs with #1 classes every year.  

I think our guys are doing their jobs as intended these past few weeks.  And as someone else stated, there's no stats for plugging gaps or occupying O-line, everything else they do is gravy.  

16 hours ago, Treefidy said:

Stearns wasn't primary coverage on either int, Boyd was getting burned on the Turpin one and the other he stepped in front of the receiver, and both cases are the result of him being free due to numbers mismatch. 

Watch that trick play again, it is a perfect example of how this defense is supposed to work against an RPO and happens it worked really well on the trick play also.  

Of course Boyd got burned and if stearns wasn't as fast and quick to recognize, it might have Ben a big play for them. 

I'll give you eleventybillion dollars if you stop calling him Stearns.

• Like 4

Didn't we get a penalty last year or the year before for something even less 'celebratory' than the belly rub?   I can't remember exactly the details of the prior penalty, but was concerned about a taunting as soon as I first saw the celebration. Have been surprised the officials have actually allowed a little bit of fun so far.  

6 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Didn't we get a penalty last year or the year before for something even less 'celebratory' than the belly rub?   I can't remember exactly the details of the prior penalty, but was concerned about a taunting as soon as I first saw the celebration. Have been surprised the officials have actually allowed a little bit of fun so far.  

Poona got flagged for "taking a bow" either last year or the year before.