BJ Foster, destructive back

Machinator

On 11/20/2018 at 12:22 PM, Ricky Butler said:

It's going to be fascinating to see how Orlando utilizes Sterns, Foster, Jones, and Overshown. Their versatility is going to frustrate opposing offensive coordinators.

He already runs a 3 safety dime on obvious passing downs.  It's going to be a NASTY personnel package with Overshown replacing PJ Locke and another year of experience for the others...

• 2 months later...
In general, I'd assume the helmet is taking the knee, rather than the knee taking the helmet, but yes, it's unclear.
as long as the helmet doesn’t do it during the anthem, it’s ok.
No, that pretty clearly says he got hit in the head by somebody's knee.

It’s like I’m playing cards with my brothers kids or something.

15 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

No, that pretty clearly says he got hit in the head by somebody's knee.

4 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

as long as the helmet doesn’t do it during the anthem, it’s ok. 

It’s like I’m playing cards with my brothers kids or something.

I know, I know... I was just trying to help save face.

If it made it into the released information, it was a concussion. A concussion is a closed head injury ("bonk") serious enough to have symptoms but not serious enough to cause hemorrhage. If he saw stars, had headaches, or had any symptom aside from soreness at the part of his scalp where contact occurred, it was a concussion.

14 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

If it made it into the released information, it was a concussion. A concussion is a closed head injury ("bonk") serious enough to have symptoms but not serious enough to cause hemorrhage. If he saw stars, had headaches, or had any symptom aside from soreness at the part of his scalp where contact occurred, it was a concussion.

That is all well and good. We know that pretty much any hard hit is a concussion these days. The real question, imo, is the severity and the recurrence. For example, we literally saw Ehlinger look like he got TKO'd on the sideline of USC, and while he didn't seem right he hasn't had any other consistent concussion related issues. I don't remember the statistics, but I know that now there is a rule of thumb along the lines of "If you get one, it's X% more likely you'll get another." If that's the case, is there any merit in just shutting Foster down for the rest of Spring? Is that something that is (or even should be) on the table if it's determined he has a concussion?

Edited by SydneyCarton

22 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

That is all well and good. We know that pretty much any hard hit is a concussion these days. The real question, imo, is the severity and the recurrence. For example, we literally saw Ehlinger look like he got TKO'd on the sideline of USC, and while he didn't seem right he hasn't had any other consistent concussion related issues. I don't remember the statistics, but I know that now there is a rule of thumb along the lines of "If you get one, it's X% more likely you'll get another." If that's the case, is there any merit in just shutting Foster down for the rest of Spring? Is that something that is (or even should be) on the table if it's determined he has a concussion?

The way he plays and lays the wood, he’s probably at risk for another one.  Really hope it’s minor because I think he’s an absolute game changer.  He gets over shadowed by Sterns who had a great freshman campaign but I think he played extremely well last year. He made some game changing plays in the ou, usc, and uga game.  He’s elite from a blitzing aspect, has great size and speed, and has good coverage skills for a hard hitting safety.  If I’m Orlando, I’m going to find every way to get Foster near the LOS.  I think he will excel at nickel.  

39 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

The thinking tends to change a little (meaning we don't have a good scientific understanding yet), but the current standard is that return to play is safe a week after complete resolution of signs and symptoms of injury.

49 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I think you're talking about him being laid out in the 4th Q of the OU game in 2017.  He had some symptoms recur in the oSu game the next week, if I remember correctly, and sat out a few games after that because of it.

Just now, Katfid54 said:

I think you're talking about him being laid out in the 4th Q of the OU game in 2017.  He had some symptoms recur in the oSu game the next week, if I remember correctly, and sat out a few games after that because of it.

I'm sure you're right. I thought it might have been USC, but it was whatever game he was crushed and looked like he didn't know where he was at the end of the game, everyone thought he was done, and he trotted back in the next series. But I don't remember what happened after. What I do know, is that he hasn't seemed to have any lingering issues with recurrence all last season, which is great. So hopefully if Foster is dinged in the head, he'll have similar luck in getting over it and not having them recur. 

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm sure you're right. I thought it might have been USC, but it was whatever game he was crushed and looked like he didn't know where he was at the end of the game, everyone thought he was done, and he trotted back in the next series. But I don't remember what happened after. What I do know, is that he hasn't seemed to have any lingering issues with recurrence all last season, which is great. So hopefully if Foster is dinged in the head, he'll have similar luck in getting over it and not having them recur. 

That's true.  Fortunately, he learned to start leading with his shoulder instead of his noggin last year.  Resulted in different (but better) issues.  Maybe for this next year, he'll learn how to slide?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Magus Ossis said:

did they teach you that in nursing school?

9 hours ago, Lerka Lerka said:

BJ Foster sustained a head injury during practice. At this time, it's unclear to the public if it's a concussion. But it sure sounds like it, at least from a precautionary standpoint.

The next time someone asks me a question about a topic I know absolutely nothing about, I'm couching it with "at this time, it's unclear to the public....".

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
6 minutes ago, satyanash said:

don't mean to pile on here... but Foster has legit NFL aspirations and this level of performance since WVU has been embarrassing.

spacer.png

First, he's injured.

Second, name a player on the backend that's meeting expectations. Brandon Jones was the #1 safety in the country coming out of high school, he's a senior with NFL aspirations. His lack of development is a huge red flag to me that the defensive coaching is mediocre. Caden Sterns seems to be heading down the same path as BJ. 

5 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

First, he's injured.

Second, name a player on the backend that's meeting expectations. Brandon Jones was the #1 safety in the country coming out of high school, he's a senior with NFL aspirations. His lack of development is a huge red flag to me that the defensive coaching is mediocre. Caden Sterns seems to be heading down the same path as BJ. 

And the personal foul on the KU touchdown? Or the late hit OOB on Pooka that luckily wasn't called on just the play before?

Just now, satyanash said:

And the personal foul on the KU touchdown? Or the late hit OOB on Pooka that luckily wasn't called on just the play before?

I mean he had a couple of personal fouls last year too. Kid plays on the edge. 

Fact is an entire secondary of 4/5 stars are playing timid football. The coaching is the problem. 

3 minutes ago, MirrOlure said:

Maybe he just sucks, Occam.

If it was just one or two guys who sucked, I'd agree. The entire defense looks lost, there is no way that our defensive evaluations are that poor. 

Think about how amazing Ossai would look if the coaching was better.