Kingsbury interviewing for NFL Jobs

Hornius Emeritus

12 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Fyi.....

Just Now :  On NFL playoff preview show..... They just stated that Kliff has been unable to meet with Jets or Cardinals because USC won't grant permission.

Some Old NFL rule policy that's now being enforced this year by the NFL that says must get permission from college AD's to interview their coaches....... violate it and it's now considered Conduct Detrimental with possible loss of draft picks.

Edited by LTtxfan

16 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Just Now :  On NFL playoff preview show..... They just stated that Kliff has been unable to meet with Jets or Cardinals because USC won't grant permission.

Some Old NFL rule policy that's now being enforced this year by the NFL that says must get permission from college AD's to interview their coaches....... violate it and it's now considered Conduct Detrimental with possible loss of draft picks.

If his plan was to commit to USC as a backup until he knew which NFL gig he likes best, he may end up a bit disappointed.

4 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

If his plan was to commit to USC as a backup until he knew which NFL gig he likes best, he may end up a bit disappointed.

Now article on ESPN.....

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25691009/usc-trojans-denies-new-york-jets-arizona-cardinals-permission-interview-kliff-kingsbury

USC denies Jets, Cardinals permission to interview Kliff Kingsbury

"USC has balked at giving permission to the New York Jets and Arizona Cardinals to interview Trojans offensive coordinator Kliff Kingsbury, league sources told ESPN.

Sources said a perfect storm of the NFL's new enforcement of an old rule has led to the situation where the Jets and Cardinals can't talk to one of their head-coaching candidates.

At last month's NFL owners meetings in Dallas, league officials informed team executives that they now had to request permission from college athletic directors to interview college coaches. Not doing so would be considered "conduct detrimental" and the NFL then could dock draft picks from teams, sources said. "

USC has very deep ties to the NFL. I wouldn’t be shocked if a few phone calls were made to the league office from the AD’s office to shut this down.

Kliff fucked up, but SC won’t be a terrible hold over for next year.

On 1/4/2019 at 9:42 AM, Js1 said:

Discussed above.

Different animals.

You don't have to give donors handjobs, meet and greet fans as often, sit in a recruit's living room or at their HS game on a Friday night, etc. as an NFL head coach.  You spend all your time coaching/watching film/making gameplans basically.  Kliff wouldn't have to give up hours every week being on the road recruiting, or doing a coach's show, or appearing at bullshit events to blow a rich oilman to fund his new practice field.

Well you also have to "take direction" from the GM and Owner(s) and sometimes that's worse than a timehole as  you trade less distractions for less authority.

Hilarious if it was a placeholder and they’re now keeping him against his will. Even worse if USC sucks next year, they all get canned, and KK doesn’t have the shine to attract NFL HC offers anymore. Seems bad for SC long term to start pigeonholing coaches...

Edit to add: I don’t think it’d be bad if every school started doing this though. Coaches should be held to their commitments at least somewhat similar to the way players are. Not four years, but at least one

• Like 1

I don't get the Kingsbury hype.  At all.  He was not good at Tech.  He had a losing record.  He had Mahomes, who looks like the best young QB in the NFL, starting for two seasons and they went 12-14.  The Jets and the Cardinals wanting to interview him, given his record at Tech and the fact that he has no NFL coaching experience, is evidence those franchises are run poorly.  I can see why Klifford is upset with USC/Lynn Swann, but paying his own buyout so he could interview strikes me as cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Edited by Hozz
stuttering
  • Like 2

I can relate from a business context.  Its a no win for the employer.  Don't let the employee go and you've got a prisoner working for you.  Go ahead and let him him take off and you're without the employee.  Can't win for losing.

True or not, beats me, but I've heard it's possible to get around this in the NFL by being able demonstrate you, the employee, contacted the team  as opposed to vice versa. Maybe we'll find out.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, pigmeat markham said:

I can relate from a business context.  Its a no win for the employer.  Don't let the employee go and you've got a prisoner working for you.  Go ahead and let him him take off and you're without the employee.  Can't win for losing.

True or not, beats me, but I've heard it's possible to get around this in the NFL by being able demonstrate you, the employee, contacted the team  as opposed to vice versa. Maybe we'll find out.

Everyone is replaceable to some degree. I’d say Lynn Swann will end up regretting this.  

20 hours ago, Hozz said:

I don't get the Kingsbury hype.  At all.  He was not good at Tech.  He had a losing record.  He had Mahomes, who looks like the best young QB in the NFL, starting for two seasons and they went 12-14.  The Jets and the Cardinals wanting to interview him, given his record at Tech and the fact that he has no NFL coaching experience, is evidence those franchises are run poorly.  I can see why Klifford is upset with USC/Lynn Swann, but paying his own buyout so he could interview strikes me as cutting off your nose to spite your face.

He develops QBs. If he turns Rosen into a franchise QB, he’s worth it. Even if Rosen is playing for a new head coach in 2 years. 

Funny article on Deadspin  from 2013.....

https://deadspin.com/5988378/leaked-memo-how-texas-tech-could-craft-the-image-of-its-new-coach-and-become-the-hippest-school-in-the-game

A tipster sends along the following email, which was originally sent from Stephen Spiegelberg, a Texas Tech alum and proprietor of Lubbock clothing store Chrome, to Joe Parker, the deputy athletics director at Texas Tech. According to the tipster, the message was bcc'd to a few of Texas Tech's regents. The email seems to be a followup message after a lunch meeting between Spiegelberg and Parker. It contains a detailed list of ideas about how to get Texas Tech's new head football coach, 33-year-old Kliff Kingsbury, into the media spotlight.

The email reads like the work of the real-life version of Jean-Ralphio, and it is as hilarious as it is ridiculous. Some of Spiegelberg's best suggestions:

• Get Kingsbury a nickname. Suggestions include "GQ," "Hollywood," and "Swagger."
  • Get Kingsbury a professional stylist, specifically Fred Segal, who has apparently styled "Micheal" Jackson, Brad Pitt, Madonna, Ashley Olson, Bruce Willis, The Beatles, Carrie Underwood, and Adam Lambert. "The list goes on," boasts Spiegelberg.
  • Get Kingsbury on the "B-list," which will somehow lead to his being invited to the Oscars and Grammys. Also New York Fashion Week

Read the whole email, and then laugh. This is big-time college sports at its most farcical.

( Email in above link)

Edited by LTtxfan

20 hours ago, Hozz said:

This.  Plus, there's no assurances he would even get a NFL HC or OC.  Kingsbury could wind up with nothing.

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Funny article on Deadspin  from 2013.....

https://deadspin.com/5988378/leaked-memo-how-texas-tech-could-craft-the-image-of-its-new-coach-and-become-the-hippest-school-in-the-game

A tipster sends along the following email, which was originally sent from Stephen Spiegelberg, a Texas Tech alum and proprietor of Lubbock clothing store Chrome, to Joe Parker, the deputy athletics director at Texas Tech. According to the tipster, the message was bcc'd to a few of Texas Tech's regents. The email seems to be a followup message after a lunch meeting between Spiegelberg and Parker. It contains a detailed list of ideas about how to get Texas Tech's new head football coach, 33-year-old Kliff Kingsbury, into the media spotlight.

The email reads like the work of the real-life version of Jean-Ralphio, and it is as hilarious as it is ridiculous. Some of Spiegelberg's best suggestions:

• Get Kingsbury a nickname. Suggestions include "GQ," "Hollywood," and "Swagger."
  • Get Kingsbury a professional stylist, specifically Fred Segal, who has apparently styled "Micheal" Jackson, Brad Pitt, Madonna, Ashley Olson, Bruce Willis, The Beatles, Carrie Underwood, and Adam Lambert. "The list goes on," boasts Spiegelberg.
  • Get Kingsbury on the "B-list," which will somehow lead to his being invited to the Oscars and Grammys. Also New York Fashion Week

Read the whole email, and then laugh. This is big-time college sports at its most farcical.

( Email in above link)

I went high school with Mr. Spiegelberg.  I can confirm that he's a fucking imbecile, if there was any doubt.

• Haha 1

Betting on yourself is a bad thing?

If the NFL wants to interview you, and your dream is to be an NFL coach, do you say, "Nah, I'm good as USC OC?"

Hell no. He can get an OC job at any university. But he can't get an NFL job at USC.

On 1/5/2019 at 1:40 PM, XYZ said:

Wait, USC hired Kingsbury one month ago and he’s already trying to get another job?

If you make $800k/yr, what is the time limit before you can go for $1.5mill or more?

I like Kliff.  But he was way to eager to get another job.  

Sit out until the NFL season is over and then see what happens if you have NFL interests.

Generally, us handsome men don't make these kinds of mistakes but alas it happens from time to time

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

awesome?

adam-leopardcrown.png

2 hours ago, Ricky Butler said:

He develops QBs. If he turns Rosen into a franchise QB, he’s worth it. Even if Rosen is playing for a new head coach in 2 years. 

I mean, does he though?  Manziel's play style did not seem coached to me.  He had the throw to Mike Evans play and the beat them with your feet play.  Mahomes got way better in the NFL.  Mayfield left him.  I do agree with you though, if the Cardinals hire him and he has a hand in getting Rosen on the right path, it will have been a good hire.  I think Rosen is trash though and too smart for his own good and not physically gifted enough to make up for that, unlike Aaron Rodgers.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

I like Kliff.  But he was way to eager to get another job.  

Sit out until the NFL season is over and then see what happens if you have NFL interests.

Generally, us handsome men don't make these kinds of mistakes but alas it happens from time to time

I don't. He's the literal definition of a douchbag.

This absolutely fits with everything I've ever heard or known about him.

5 minutes ago, Hozz said:

I mean, does he though?  Manziel's play style did not seem coached to me.  He had the throw to Mike Evans play and the beat them with your feet play.  Mahomes got way better in the NFL.  Mayfield left him.  I do agree with you though, if the Cardinals hire him and he has a hand in getting Rosen on the right path, it will have been a good hire.  I think Rosen is trash though and too smart for his own good and not physically gifted enough to make up for that, unlike Aaron Rodgers.

I would argue that, though Kliff is a great QB coach, his real gift is scouting QB talent.  He's a genius when it comes to that.

5 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Jets and Cardinals fans should be erecting statues of Swan for stopping their incompetent ownership.  What in the fuck would lead them to think Coach bro is ready to lead a locker room of NFL players. 

If NFL execs could guarantee who would be the next guy to succeed as a HC would there be so many job openings? 

Who would be your surefire, cant miss hire?

12 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Jets and Cardinals fans should be erecting statues of Swan for stopping their incompetent ownership.  What in the fuck would lead them to think Coach bro is ready to lead a locker room of NFL players. 

"The Truth About Why Beautiful People Are More Successful"

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/games-primates-play/201203/the-truth-about-why-beautiful-people-are-more-successful