Kingsbury interviewing for NFL Jobs

Hornius Emeritus

31 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

The tinfoil hat in me thinks the whole thing was coordinated.  USC hired him temporarily to save recruiting and Arizona didn't mind waiting so they could announce hiring "usc's offensive coordinator" rather than "the coach recently fired from Texas fucking tech." 

SC doesn't have this kind of foresight...they were  wandering blind down the hallway, and KK's doorknob was the first that they found. As much as the trojan faithful badmouth Hayden, he was much more functional than Lynn Swann.

Edited by otisdog

36 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

His offenses at Tech weren't really that special when he didn't have a generational talent like Mahomes at QB.

He's tied to Mahomes and Baker Mayfield and has put a bunch of WR's into the league. Everyone complains when the NFL doesn't take chances, sure Kliff isn't ideal but at least hes moderately different.  At least they didn't hire Jon Gruden

Edited by Michael Knight

I don't get this hire, I really don't.

If the dude was as good with QBs as his reputation, then why did a talent like Mahomes only win 50 percent of his starts? "Defense" isn't enough of an excuse--a great QB should be enough to win you more than half of your games even with a terrible defense.

• Like 1

An NFL team that hires a retread coach makes money. If they win big with the retread coach they make more money.

An NFL team that takes a chance on a coach (no matter how dumb) makes money. If they happen to win big then they make more money.

It is really a cant lose proposition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Handcruser said:

An NFL team that hires a retread coach makes money. If they win big with the retread coach they make more money.

An NFL team that takes a chance on a coach (no matter how dumb) makes money. If they happen to win big then they make more money.

giphy.gif

24 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Lane Kiffin was unqualified when he got the Raiders job, but that was right after he had been OC for USC when they were lighting up the scoreboard with Bush, Leinart, et al.   He hadn’t failed yet at that point.  I don’t understand how a failed college coach is even a candidate for an NFL head coaching job.  

Just as one example, Holgorsen has just as good or probably even a better track record of putting up big offensive numbers in that system as a coordinator and head coach, a better record as head coach at a comparable school, and more experience, and he’s getting a job at UH.  What is so special about Kliff?

He fine

24 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Lane Kiffin was unqualified when he got the Raiders job, but that was right after he had been OC for USC when they were lighting up the scoreboard with Bush, Leinart, et al.   He hadn’t failed yet at that point.  I don’t understand how a failed college coach is even a candidate for an NFL head coaching job.  

Just as one example, Holgorsen has just as good or probably even a better track record of putting up big offensive numbers in that system as a coordinator and head coach, a better record as head coach at a comparable school, and more experience, and he’s getting a job at UH.  What is so special about Kliff?

It's been explained.  KK is connected, however tenuously, to Mahomes and Mayfield.  Add his looks and charisma, and he zero choice but to fail upwards.  It's how people think.

Just now, PilotsError said:

It's been explained.  KK is connected, however tenuously, to Mahomes and Mayfield.  Add his looks and charisma, and he zero choice but to fail upwards.  It's how people think.

I don't think he's qualified for this job, but how exactly is his connection to Mahomes "tenuous"?

• Like 1

If the dude was as good with QBs as his reputation, then why did a talent like Mahomes only win 50 percent of his starts? "Defense" isn't enough of an excuse--a great QB should be enough to win you more than half of your games even with a terrible defense.

Cross post from NFL thread

I believe Arizona hired Kliff knowing he’s not a very good head coach and simply wants the Air Raid system and Kliff was the most expedient way to get it. I would not at all be surprised to see him get booted very quickly in his tenure.

33 minutes ago, Leamas said:

I refuse to believe Kingsbury keeps getting decent jobs because of his looks. That just sounds absurd. I am beautiful, but can't make money off of that.

Timing helps. Sean McVay is the new big thing. Everybody wants one. If he looked like Seth Rogen (or some other perfectly average, overweight dude), he wouldn't have gotten this job.

NFL Head Coach has finally joined the billions of other jobs where appearances matter, no matter how much they're legally required to say they don't.

I don't think the "He lost at Tech" argument holds much water.  It's Tech.  They will never recruit well.  Ever.  They will never compete for anything longer than a fluke year or two.  The NFL recognizes that and couldn't care less if he won in that shithole.  Who could?  Bill Belichick wouldn't win much at Tech. 

They know he coached a few 3-star and 2 -star QBs into the NFL.  He make or may not succeed in the league but I don't think it's all that far-fetched.  He'd have probably made a fine coordinator... but I'm all for taking chances and getting the NFL to stop recycling old has-beens.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

I don't think the "He lost at Tech" argument holds much water.  It's Tech.  They will never recruit well.  Ever.  They will never compete for anything longer than a fluke year or two.  The NFL recognizes that and couldn't care less if he won in that shithole.  Who could?  Bill Belichick wouldn't win much at Tech. 

They know he coached a few 3-star and 2 -star QBs into the NFL.  He make or may not succeed in the league but I don't think it's all that far-fetched.  He'd have probably made a fine coordinator... but I'm all for taking chances and getting the NFL to stop recycling old has-beens.

Ouch.  Lol

I do agree they need to start recycling young has-beens.  

Edited by ChiTownDoc

26 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Kliff had 4 losing seasons in 6 years and 3 in a row before he got fired.  David McWilliams, Spike Dykes, Leach and Tuberville had 3 losing seasons between them in the 27 years before Kliff.  I don't think the "Tech is a losing program, so you can't blame Kliff" argument holds much water.  Kliff was a failure at Tech.

Edited by Dirk X West
  • Like 4

What about pass protection and a running game? He didn’t have that either. Tech had some terrible assistant coaches then too, before Kliff was forced to get rid of some of his bros and get some real coaches.

5 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

He threw for 734 yards against OU and fucking lost, while Tech scored 59 points.

He threw for 370 yards and 4 TDS against LSU and lost.

Could go On and on.

Offense was hardly the issue.  Ever.

Edited by slorch

2 hours ago, Dirk X West said:

Kliff had 4 losing seasons in 6 years and 3 in a row before he got fired.  David McWilliams, Spike Dykes, Leach and Tuberville had 3 losing seasons between them in the 27 years before Kliff.  I don't think the "Tech is a losing program, so you can't blame Kliff" argument holds much water.  Kliff was a failure at Tech.

Love a good David McWilliams take.