2019 Fishing - Bent rods and tight lines

Mac8111

10 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Yeah, long boat rides are no fun and I’ve done plenty of them. My guys fished yesterday and said the weather was great, but he had no idea what it was doing up north where your friend is coming from. It’s starting to sound like y’all may end up fishing Mag Bay at the same time. They’ll be on Tenacious.

Go to know, I'l look out for them.  Yeah, looks like we'll be in the Mag Bay area for at least 3-4 days.

2 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Yep.  Go rent a house or condo in Telluride or Aspen.   All the shit you want to do is there. Plus good dining and spa shit.  

Telluride is far superior to Aspen if 4 wheeling is on the agenda.  So many great trails in that part of the state.  And, as you mentioned, great food choices.

On 10/16/2019 at 11:02 AM, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

yep. some areas are designated wildnerness areas and have restrictions on motorized vehicles, but national forest and BLM is do what you want where you want. hell, i own it.

mmm......national forests not so.  Need to stay in "official" campsites inside the forest, generally. Some exceptions exist. BLM land is a go, though. Only restriction on BLM land is how close you can camp to the water. Fire permits often necessary, also.  Lots more BLM land than federal forests, but it is generally not as nice as the later.

3 minutes ago, otisdog said:

mmm......national forests not so.  Need to stay in "official" campsites inside the forest, generally. Some exceptions exist. BLM land is a go, though. Only restriction on BLM land is how close you can camp to the water. Fire permits often necessary, also.  Lots more BLM land than federal forests, but it is generally not as nice as the later.

You got some bad info, Otis. You can camp wherever you want in a national forests.

17 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

You got some bad info, Otis. You can camp wherever you want in a national forests.

17 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

You are correct - and I did get some bad info....from a forest service ranger, of all people.

Tropical storm jacked up our surf fishing trip a tad.  Adapt and overcome.  Spent Friday night fishing the south side Packery jetty.  Caught ribbon fish.  Saturday we wade fished the flats behind the church at Dead Man’s Hole.  Sunday kayak fished all around CC bay,  

Caught bait fish, no Reds.  Fed many pin fish many shrimp  Gulp shrimp at Roy’s worked better.  Don’t care.  Was fishing.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

What are you fishing for @Sbbruin?

I don’t know what the fly fishing was for, but the striped marlin bite where he is has been insane for a few weeks now. I know @Sbbruinwas going to do that at some point. My guys are fishing it now and I hope to have a report soon. There are a bunch of Costa Rica boats fishing there right now because of the big tourney in Cabo coming up. From the teams that I know,  the best day I have heard of was 160 stripe marlin. Another boat was over 100 two days in a row. Another released 90ish. Another released .80ish. You get the picture.

Keep in mind these are teams that fish together in tournaments for numbers all the time, so they know exactly what they are doing. 

• Like 3

Christmas in October is finally here. Unfortunately, the water is super murky and not even fit to flush, so fishing was unusually slow.

Still, there were good moments, like this 26-incher. 😎

20191023-142925-Sharped.jpg

Same fish, just pulling her out of the water so you can see dat thiccness.

20191023-142939-Sharped.jpg

And a couple more I'll put in a spoiler tag to keep from longcatting.

23-inch hen

20191023-145614-Sharped.jpg

And a 21-inch hybrid buck

20191023-162226-Sharped.jpg

20191023-162231-Sharped.jpg

Two of the past three years have been great water years, so conditions are ideal for a PB. *fingers crossed*

Edited by Braff Zacklin
  • Like 3

Haha.  This trip has been sick, We caught 30 marlin and a bunch of wahoo.  @justhookit you would trip on the marlin outside Mag Bay.  We stopped cuz our arms were about to fall off.  We did a day of wahoo fishing too.  Caught about the; Wahoo. Most epic fishing trip in my life.  In San Jose del Cabo now. 

• Like 2

On 10/22/2019 at 11:19 PM, justhookit said:

Ok just got the text we caught 132 stripes over three days at Mag Bay. It was disappointing for them. Hopefully they do better in Bisbee’s where all you need to do is catch the big blue or black.

We could have caught a hundred if our arms were up for it. They were thick as thieves out there.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Haha.  This trip has been sick, We caught 30 marlin and a bunch of wahoo.  @justhookit you would trip on the marlin outside Mag Bay.  We stopped cuz our arms were about to fall off.  We did a day of wahoo fishing too.  Caught about the; Wahoo. Most epic fishing trip in my life.  In San Jose del Cabo now. 

Yup, congrats. Wish I was there. Our team didn’t do so well in Bisbee’s, but our friends who are in the marina in Quepos with us won the big money for the 2nd time in 4 years. Last time they actually finished 3rd but because they were in all the big money pots and the first and second place boats weren’t, they won close to 3 million. They finished in first place yesterday and won close to 2 million. Tranquilo is the boat you may have also seen them up at Mag Bay.

• Like 1

Yup, congrats. Wish I was there. Our team didn’t do so well in Bisbee’s, but our friends who are in the marina in Quepos with us won the big money for the 2nd time in 4 years. Last time they actually finished 3rd but because they were in all the big money pots and the first and second place boats weren’t, they won close to 3 million. They finished in first place yesterday and won close to 2 million. Tranquilo is the boat you may have also seen them up at Mag Bay.

Yep guy with us now fished the Big tourney and said Tranquilo won it. Fishing in Cabo sucked for us, but Mag Bay was awesome.

[mention=1357]Sbbruin[/mention], have any pics to share of your catches? Can't fish saltwater here in Idaho, so it's always a pleasure to see what you, hookit, rojo, and others come up with. And wahoo are just fucking gorgeous.

No wifi right now and most of our marlin were released at the side of the boat so didn't get a lot of photos of them, but here's a few
98335e0e881b71c33e2a0536cbb9694e.jpg
3aeb8b4ae95a36714ecdc937fe746829.jpg
d611ed0f71d14aad9040375b09227d21.jpg
  • Like 5

On 10/26/2019 at 2:15 PM, Braff Zacklin said:

@Sbbruin, have any pics to share of your catches? Can't fish saltwater here in Idaho, so it's always a pleasure to see what you, hookit, rojo, and others come up with. And wahoo are just fucking gorgeous.

Better than being gorgeous they are delicious. Best eating fish IMO.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, justhookit said:

Better than being gorgeous they are delicious. Best eating fish IMO.

What I love about wahoo is it tastes great raw and it tastes great grilled or sautéed.  I love tuna raw, but won't eat it cooked.  Wahoo you can vacuum seal and freeze and it's great for a long time.

• Like 2

Went out of Freeport Sunday morning to try for billfish and tuna.

23ebfb1dc77f720c11802b5c0d63da79.jpg

Slow going most of the weekend but the weather was great.

c103549120ebfec92be7d3f2914723db.jpgb22d1829330443b27cd5c5c8b2888f98.jpg
Did bag this big tilefish when we went deep.

Also got one nice yellowfin, about 40lbs.

Some smaller tiles and barrel fish and I have plenty to eat.

a6ca35aaa1cc3017af2164a2bc21915c.jpg

Hey good lookin...

6fc20d873b8c0f0b7642a79b93c15b31.jpg

Beats the shit out of work.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, huge said:

Went out of Freeport Sunday morning to try for billfish and tuna.

23ebfb1dc77f720c11802b5c0d63da79.jpg

Slow going most of the weekend but the weather was great.

c103549120ebfec92be7d3f2914723db.jpgb22d1829330443b27cd5c5c8b2888f98.jpg
Did bag this big tilefish when we went deep.

Also got one nice yellowfin, about 40lbs.

Some smaller tiles and barrel fish and I have plenty to eat.

a6ca35aaa1cc3017af2164a2bc21915c.jpg

Hey good lookin...

6fc20d873b8c0f0b7642a79b93c15b31.jpg

Beats the shit out of work.

Yup. As y’all know it is way late for billfish - you might scratch out 1 - but tuna should be good now. I guess you went to boom Vang/Nansen? They’ve sucked all year and Perdido is a long long run from Freeport.

On 10/26/2019 at 1:48 PM, justhookit said:

Also I was wrong. They won a little over 2.5 million this year. I’m expecting a free Imperial Light when I get down to CR in 2 months.

https://www.bisbees.com/News/Article/96

F4-B5776-A-9-C1-B-4-AD9-80-C3-A7-E0-DBA3

Edited by justhookit

On 10/20/2019 at 4:39 PM, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Hit up Lake Buchanan this morning out of Tow.  Got a nice mess of a couple stripers, some hybrids and some good white bass.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Son and I launch at the Burnet County park. We left the ramp two Saturdays ago to throw baits at the drop offs to catch some early fall blacks. We weren't 100 yards from the ramp when the surface exploded with whites pushing up a huge ball of shad. We were obligated to stop and catch about 10 for the shits and giggles. We weren't in the mood to clean fish so we released them all, but it was a good time. We were a little early for the largies but caught a good number of spots. Love that lake, unless the wind is blowing. Then it gets a little dicey.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 1leggedduck said:

Son and I launch at the Burnet County park. We left the ramp two Saturdays ago to throw baits at the drop offs to catch some early fall blacks. We weren't 100 yards from the ramp when the surface exploded with whites pushing up a huge ball of shad. We were obligated to stop and catch about 10 for the shits and giggles. We weren't in the mood to clean fish so we released them all, but it was a good time. We were a little early for the largies but caught a good number of spots. Love that lake, unless the wind is blowing. Then it gets a little dicey.

Yeah it was extremely calm when we were out.  Max, the guy that took us fishing, said he would have preferred a little more chop.

1 hour ago, 1leggedduck said:

Hardly any freshwater guys who aren't fly fishing posting on here. There have to be more bass fishermen on Surly. 

On Saturday, I fished a cove and marsh channels in Sabine Lake. 2nd cast, caught a potato chip flounder. Then proceeded to catch 6 bass where I should've been catching redfish and flounder. Tasted the water in the channel and cove, not a hint of saltwater. No bait or any movement at all in the cove/flat. Sabine Lake was/is fresh as the Colorado River.

Does that count?

4 hours ago, 4th and 5 said:

Anyone have some current POC tips for me, I'm heading down soon. I fished there for 15 years but haven't been back in 6 years. I know the area well, it's just been a long time. Thanks in advance

Sharkys is underrated, but good food. Maybe hit Junction for a bit, definitely close Maddens.   

Fishing?  I’ve always maintained there are no fish in POC, at least not for me. These fronts may start pushing some flounder to the drains, and out the pass.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, 4th and 5 said:

Anyone have some current POC tips for me, I'm heading down soon. I fished there for 15 years but haven't been back in 6 years. I know the area well, it's just been a long time. Thanks in advance

pm pescado rojo. he fishes POC area in a boat.

i fish POC from a kayak out of charlies. i imagine you prob want pescado's advice.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

pm pescado rojo. he fishes POC area in a boat.

i fish POC from a kayak out of charlies. i imagine you prob want pescado's advice.

Fatty and MAC probably have better advice than I would for his style of fishing. I'm fishing marsh ponds on the back side of the island in a poling skiff, not wading for trout. Also, I fish mainly from Power Lake down to Panther Point...I do very little fishing around POC. (I'm Seadrift trash)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, crash_davis said:

On Saturday, I fished a cove and marsh channels in Sabine Lake. 2nd cast, caught a potato chip flounder. Then proceeded to catch 6 bass where I should've been catching redfish and flounder. Tasted the water in the channel and cove, not a hint of saltwater. No bait or any movement at all in the cove/flat. Sabine Lake was/is fresh as the Colorado River.

Does that count?

You don't necessarily have to catch bass out of a shiny bass rig. I guess that fresh water bodes ill for the Texas oyster industry. Ever fish Rayburn or Toledo Bend?

1 hour ago, 1leggedduck said:

You don't necessarily have to catch bass out of a shiny bass rig. I guess that fresh water bodes ill for the Texas oyster industry. Ever fish Rayburn or Toledo Bend?

There are quite a few guys that bass fish occasionally.  Some I haven't seen post in a while.  Mostly just hitting up stock tanks and neighborhood spots.

Fatty and MAC probably have better advice than I would for his style of fishing. I'm fishing marsh ponds on the back side of the island in a poling skiff, not wading for trout. Also, I fish mainly from Power Lake down to Panther Point...I do very little fishing around POC. (I'm Seadrift trash)

I just sight cast for hard heads ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Been fooled many a time by tailing hard heads. Nothing worse than 50 yards of hard poling to discover those tails you were trying to get to were hard heads. 

pound for pound, the best fighting fish in the ocean. bonefish have nothing on hardheads. that's why they are so hard to catch.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Back in college I camped out at Panther Point one night.  Me and two buddies in a small Mako that could barely get up on a plane with three two hundred pound guys and a shitload of beer and gear.

We just had sleeping bags and no tents.  It was windy as fuck and we kept getting sand in the food we grilled.  Then it started raining.  So we proceeded to get drunk enough to pass out in the rain.  We did catch fish the next day.

I would need a week to recover from that shit now 20 years later.

• Like 2