2019 Fishing - Bent rods and tight lines

Mac8111

2 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I’m going fishing. I’M GOING FISHING!

I’ve been busy with my house build and haven’t fished all summer. I think I’m going crazy. Here’s a double sailfish from April. Earlier that day we had six hooked up at the same time.

That second sailfish thought he was a marlin or at least wants to grow up to be one. They usually don’t misbehave like that.

Edited by justhookit
  • Like 1

Not sure if I ever posted this one on Shaggy. One of my favorite videos I’ve ever shot. POCO tournament was cancelled due to weather so our whole team hopped a plane down to CR to fish a little 31 Bertram that my captain had access to in Golfito. We caught around 16 blues and I’m pretty sure if it wasn’t for that trip and the fate of the tournament getting cancelled, I would have never moved my boat down there.

• Like 1

Forrest is supposed to have my boat done tomorrow if Jack gets him the prop. I'll probably drive down Friday night, pick the boat up Saturday morning and fish the rest of the day then head home. I'm flying to Florida Sunday for work. 
Can you tell him to please get tags for the trailer I purchased three years ago. I'd like to be legal this decade.
That said, I've known him most of my life and he's dropped everything to get me back on the water many times. Good dude.

1 minute ago, justhookit said:

Actually you can probably put Legends in that group too. They ended with I think 22 boats this year which is not much more than last year. Weather was an issue, but my team put up 31,000. Thankfully they won 54. The math just doesn’t work anymore.

For those of us that are clueless to tournament fishing, what does all of that mean?

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

For those of us that are clueless to tournament fishing, what does all of that mean?

They won a marginal amount more than they risked.  

When billfish tournaments are booming (high oil =massive Calcutta’s) 7 figure paydays are not unheard of. 

My understanding was pocos demise was the cancellation without refund years ago - pissed too many folks off.  Shootout seemed to be doing well, and mostly the same boats are week before. 

Justhookit 

Going back down in November and wondering if you can help. 

I have done lots of trolling and also did roosters. Any other kind of fishing to do around Manuel Antonio? Would really like to do some lure chunking or jigging. 

Any ideas?

13 hours ago, Shaddie said:

Justhookit 

Going back down in November and wondering if you can help. 

I have done lots of trolling and also did roosters. Any other kind of fishing to do around Manuel Antonio? Would really like to do some lure chunking or jigging. 

Any ideas?

I’d like to tell you yes, but honestly can’t do it. They really don’t have a lure/jigging fishery there. Go to Panama for that.

I talked to the owner of Tigrett Realty , biggest rental house outfit in POC and he said July is their biggest month each year by far and they were down 37% this July.

Fished Thurs, Fri, Sat this weekend. Full moon was tough on us but we found some fish eventually. My Biggest trout was 22”. Sadly I cannot seem get over the 22” for personal best.

15 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

They won a marginal amount more than they risked.  

When billfish tournaments are booming (high oil =massive Calcutta’s) 7 figure paydays are not unheard of. 

My understanding was pocos demise was the cancellation without refund years ago - pissed too many folks off.  Shootout seemed to be doing well, and mostly the same boats are week before. 

Yeah, when you add up all the optional pots and you end up at 31,000 it makes you start to question what you are doing. It’s one thing to do that when there are 50+ boats fishing like there used to be, but these days the return just isn’t there.

as to POCO, their decline started when they added fish pots. Say I head up there with 40,000 in my pocket. Prior to that all of that was going into the Calcutta and you ended up with the huge payouts. After they added fish pots close to half that 40,000 ended up in the pots and instead of winning 500,000 or whatever it became more like 200. Then yes they had the cancellation and my boat was entered. They still had all the parties/beer/food and while I’m sure there was a little money left over it wouldn’t have been much. We left and fished Costa Rica instead that weekend and had a great time and spent far less money doing it than we would have if we had fished POCO. About that same time was when the blue marlin FAD fishing in CR took off. A bunch of the gulf tournament boats, including me, decided to move down there because the fishing was so much better. Between Los Suenos and Quepos there are about 25 teams from Texas that used to be regulars on the tourney circuit here. A few of them travel back to fish Texas but most don’t. And then Harvey.

ive still fished the tournaments here the last few years, but not on my own boat and not a dime of my money went into it. I’ve made some money though.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Mac8111 said:

Sadly I cannot seem get over the 22” for personal best.

Commit to corky fishing from Oct-May and I guarantee you will beat it this year.   And sneak down to East Matty this Nov-Jan a few times. I can’t remember what rig y’all have but I make the run from POC to East every now and then and it’s not terrible with a speedy boat. 

ETA - Pringle in the winter is also a major hotbed for big trout. 

Edited by fattyflattie
  • Like 1

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.news4jax.com/top-stories/search-for-firefighters-missing-at-sea-intensifies-prayer-walks-set

Been following this on THT this weekend. It’s the BIL of a poster there. For those that feel inclined, these guys and their families could use some prayers. They have been out since Friday morning and there is no sign anywhere of them after 2+ days of Coast Guard search and rescue and a lot of private help as well. If you’re going offshore, be prepared with an EPIRB or other safety measures. I can’t imagine just not knowing what’s happened.

11 hours ago, justhookit said:

I’d like to tell you yes, but honestly can’t do it. They really don’t have a lure/jigging fishery there. Go to Panama for that.

Yeah that’s what I figured. Oh well have to go get some tuna or dorado again and have a great dinner. Such a bother. 😎

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Shaddie said:

Yeah that’s what I figured. Oh well have to go get some tuna or dorado again and have a great dinner. Such a bother. 😎

The dorado bite in November and December can be insane. Sometimes you look back in the spread and there will 2 or 3 on each bait, 4 or 5 on each bridge teaser, and another 10-20 down  there following the dredges. All solid fish 20-50ish pounds. And marlin in numbers can be around too that early in the season.

Not sure if I ever posted this one on Shaggy. One of my favorite videos I’ve ever shot. POCO tournament was cancelled due to weather so our whole team hopped a plane down to CR to fish a little 31 Bertram that my captain had access to in Golfito. We caught around 16 blues and I’m pretty sure if it wasn’t for that trip and the fate of the tournament getting cancelled, I would have never moved my boat down there.

That’s fucking insane. Taking my boys down to quepos for spring break hoping to catch sail fish for them but I need to go there for a catch like that. Mother of god that’s amazing.

50 minutes ago, huge said:

@justhookit We fished MissBehavin out of Suenos.  You know that crew?

Real piece of shit, that boat.

Well, there’s the charter boat with that name that is very slow and small. Their captain Alex is good though and they catch fish.

im sure you were being sarcastic though and mean the 60 foot custom. Believe it’s a Garlington. I don’t know them well but have met a few times in various tournaments and stuff. My captain knows them pretty well.

On 8/18/2019 at 10:44 AM, justhookit said:

So a guy I fished with last time down there is advertising inshore for rooster (already done) and snapper. I got a non fishing bud going with me and would like something to eat. How is snapper inshore down there. 

CHIEF Jr, one of our family friends and his son were supposed to go to the Chandeluer Islands this weekend, but the Captain cancelled due to weather. They were really bummed, but ended up in Surfside Beach, he is either staying with, or fishing with DeLoss' SIL. It's been a grind so far, one slot red, and the crabs killing his live mullet.

CHIEF

15 hours ago, Shaddie said:

So a guy I fished with last time down there is advertising inshore for rooster (already done) and snapper. I got a non fishing bud going with me and would like something to eat. How is snapper inshore down there. 

Compared to here in Texas where you get a limit in minutes, snapper there is not so good. But if the guide is good he’ll have some spots that will produce plenty of snapper/grouper/amberjack for dinner. We’ve got some great bottom fishing spots but they are a good ways offshore.

Took a break from wade fishing and hit the POC jetties with some good friends. First cast I got a Tarpon and landed a second one later on. Was great fight and certainly wasn’t expecting that. Go into some oversized reds of course and a few black drum, trout, and mangrove snapper. Sharks everywhere.

I have video but not sure how to post on Tapa

IMG_0083.jpegIMG_0092.jpegIMG_0090.jpegIMG_0104.jpeg
IMG_1382.jpeg

• Like 8

Unbelievably jealous on those poons, Mac. I really really want one of the current boat.

I lost my TM awhile back and decided to take a look into it over the weekend. Was hoping to sneak down to the pass and tarpon fish a few times in sept, and would need the TM. Apparently, a $1.99 O-ring failed at some point and well...

1f1699e8b8e90bafe4acbd49461a95da.jpg

78483e7bb450a820998c50e0e3ef223b.jpg

e9edbb595fc164e7f6ebc9bcb185e022.jpg

Motor ran great until one day, it didn’t.

The good news is the mounting plates on both the bow and back deck are no longer used for new models. So there will be a fair amount of doweling and glass work on top of the $2k price of a new TM - WTF. The other good news is I can find all but 2 parts for this one online. Bad news is I really really need those 2 parts that are no longer available FML. Boats, break out another (two) thousand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

39 minutes ago, Mac8111 said:

I don’t remember the exact cost, but we got our trolling motor through Thomas Mikes (Nervous Water guides service ) and it saved couple hundred bucks. Great guy as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will check it out.  After several more hours of digging I realized I could probably take LU off newer model (that still have parts avail) and make it work.  Doing some more research today but looks like that will be an option.  I’d rather have it going again for $400 than shell out some real money. I just don’t use it but a few times a year. 

2 hours ago, Spaulding Smails said:

We got on the reds yesterday morning in Aransas Bay.  Three man limit within an hour.  All over 23".  The boy couldn't stop smiling the whole way home yesterday afternoon.  He's caught reds before, but this one was by far the biggest he's ever caught, and he's never been on them that thick.  

IMG-1846.jpg

lures or bait?

• Like 1

Nuts.  Dude caught a marlin mid-channel b/w the mainland and Catalina yesterday on 50lb braid/ 25lb flouro.  Crazy.  We get them out here.  Few and far between, and usually out on the ridgeline on the backside of Catalina and San Clemente, not close in like this.

• Like 2

Nuts.  Dude caught a marlin mid-channel b/w the mainland and Catalina yesterday on 50lb braid/ 25lb flouro.  Crazy.  We get them out here.  Few and far between, and usually out on the ridgeline on the backside of Catalina and San Clemente, not close in like this.

Dammit. Did they land him or not? I GOTS TA KNOW!

Just now, Brisketexan said:

Dammit. Did they land him or not? I GOTS TA KNOW!

Got it to 2 ft of leader and intentionally broke it off.  Which is kinda lame.  should've tried to remove the hook, and make sure he was revived for relaunch. But still.