2019 Fishing - Bent rods and tight lines

Mac8111

Since we are on the subject, some fun notes-

the boat I mentioned above, Smooth Move, travels between Costa Rica and the U.S. hitting both tournament circuits and fun fishing in between. Owner is out of Louisiana and had a 500,000 dollar budget for the captain to purchase t-shirts, stickers, koozies etc. when they back in to weigh-in’s at tournaments they have 2 t-shirt guns like you see at sporting events to shoot shirts into the crowd.

Bandit, an 82 or 84 foot Viking based in Port A has an owner that gets seasick and hardly ever fishes. He sends clients out on the boat and during tournament season he hires additional captains and mates to be his fishing team. The reason he has a boat that big is because he had a 74ish Viking, but then another guy in Port A bought a 78 foot boat. He got pissed his boat was not the biggest in town so he bought a new one.

the craziest I’ve seen is in Los Suenos in Costa Rica. The Russian finance minister or something like that has an 80 foot fishing boat there. And a 140 foot yacht. He also has matching yachts and fishing boats in about 10 other places. A few years ago we were fishing a tournament there and there are certified observers that come on your boat to record your sailfish and marlin releases. You have to feed them and we generally do sandwiches or fried chicken. Friend of mine gets assigned to the Russian boat as an observer. It’s a party with like 15 guys and a bunch of paid women. This is a serious tournament with some of the best crews in the world. They start the day at 6 am with multiple bottles of vodka and drink all day. It gets to be lunch time and they bring my friend lobster, and caviar in a Faberge egg.

32 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Since we are on the subject, some fun notes-

the boat I mentioned above, Smooth Move, travels between Costa Rica and the U.S. hitting both tournament circuits and fun fishing in between. Owner is out of Louisiana and had a 500,000 dollar budget for the captain to purchase t-shirts, stickers, koozies etc. when they back in to weigh-in’s at tournaments they have 2 t-shirt guns like you see at sporting events to shoot shirts into the crowd.

Bandit, an 82 or 84 foot Viking based in Port A has an owner that gets seasick and hardly ever fishes. He sends clients out on the boat and during tournament season he hires additional captains and mates to be his fishing team. The reason he has a boat that big is because he had a 74ish Viking, but then another guy in Port A bought a 78 foot boat. He got pissed his boat was not the biggest in town so he bought a new one.

the craziest I’ve seen is in Los Suenos in Costa Rica. The Russian finance minister or something like that has an 80 foot fishing boat there. And a 140 foot yacht. He also has matching yachts and fishing boats in about 10 other places. A few years ago we were fishing a tournament there and there are certified observers that come on your boat to record your sailfish and marlin releases. You have to feed them and we generally do sandwiches or fried chicken. Friend of mine gets assigned to the Russian boat as an observer. It’s a party with like 15 guys and a bunch of paid women. This is a serious tournament with some of the best crews in the world. They start the day at 6 am with multiple bottles of vodka and drink all day. It gets to be lunch time and they bring my friend lobster, and caviar in a Faberge egg.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

3 hours ago, justhookit said:

Bert is/was more about the party than the boat.  I worked at a company Bert owned part of. Never got a ride on Bandit but did fly in one of his planes a few times.  True 1% does have it's niceties.

22 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

i question if any fish has ever been caught from that boat.

It’s rigged to fish including the extras like sonar that you don’t put on if you’re not serious about marlin fishing. That and 1300 hours on the engines means they fish a lot.

Edited by justhookit

8 minutes ago, davidg said:

Bert is/was more about the party than the boat.  I worked at a company Bert owned part of. Never got a ride on Bandit but did fly in one of his planes a few times.  True 1% does have it's niceties.

Sorry you missed out on Bandit. They’ve got a great fishing program going and consistently do well in tournaments. Bert’s a good dude, too.

Just now, Chewbacca said:

I know you don't care when you can drop that kind of money on a boat, but what kind of fuel burn are you looking at to fish with a boat like that?  5300hp has to go through that 4000 gallon fuel tank rather quickly, no?

I remember reading  a Sportfishing magazine a long time ago where a guy was looking to buy a 45-50 sportfisher.  He got a ride on a similar boat to check it out.  When he asked about fuel burn, the owner took out his wallet and started thumbing franklins overboard into the prop wash.  The owner told the guy if he couldn't afford to that he had no  business owning a sportfisher and worrying about fuel burn.  Probably a sea story but it kinda makes the point.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I know you don't care when you can drop that kind of money on a boat, but what kind of fuel burn are you looking at to fish with a boat like that?  5300hp has to go through that 4000 gallon fuel tank rather quickly, no?

They are probably near 200 gallons an hour at cruise. 

13 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

My buddy's Cabo 48 has twin Cat 1000's.  He says you can approximate fuel burn by taking your speed (in knots) x gph PER ENGINE.  So at 25kts (which this thing does easy), that's 50 gph, or about $175-$200/hr.   His capacity is 1,100 gallons.

Edited by Sbbruin

10 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

So only 20 hours at cruise on a tank?  Seems like you would want more range than that to do longer trips?

Yes, but that is your cruise speed with engine RPMs roughly in the 1800-2000 range. when you are doing longer trips you generally slow boat at 8-12 knots, burning far far fewer gallons per hour to extend your range.

My boat at cruise has about a 350 mile range. But by going slow we were pretty easily able to go straight across the gulf from Texas to Mexico. Basically slow boating doubles our range.

• Like 1

Took the girls out and let them hook up on some trout and mangrove snapper. Dropped them off at the house and chased tarpon at dark hooking up on 3 10-15 pound fish. Another solid day on the water, but with their summer over it will probably be a few weeks before I get back out.

I do have a question for you long time saltwater guys. What knot are you using for leader connections? I’ve been avoiding using swivels and just go line to line, but I’m having an issue with them slipping lately or if I use a double uni they are hanging on the guides. It’s been an issue with Tarpon and large Snook mainly, but I don’t think it is a line size issue because it looks like they are just sliding apart.

6 hours ago, justhookit said:

Nope. You couldn’t pay me to take that one. Hate hate hate enclosed bridge for fishing. Nice when traveling though. It does have a sky bridge though so maybe.

I was always the same mindset. I think I’ve changed my mind.  Not that it will ever matter unless a few numbers line up on the TV. 

Chewbacca, wrt fuel burn.  Good friend of mines family owns the Fishing Center. Since they were involved in POCO so long, a lot of those boats fueled up there just as habit.  Couple years ago we were there while No Compromise was fueling up.   They finished topping off their 4 or 5000 gallon tanks, then started in on the barrels.  If they didn’t have 15 barrels on the bow they didn’t have 1.   Saw them again a few days later, they were all empty (I’m sure like a bladder they empty them ASAP).  She and 2-3 others had run to MARS platform during the tournament. I don’t remember the specifics but they were at a fast cruise at a minimum to make it all happen. Also note, the owner is the owner of the Swagcopter.  You can see his house if you google earth POC. It’s the one with the ICW lot with only a helipad. 

• Like 1

man, I don't even know the name.  It is really easy to do. 

I cut a long piece of leader and lay it next to the braid. Make a simple overhand loop with both lines together  and then put my finger inside the loop and twist it three times.  Then I pull the tag end of the fishing line and the rest of the leader line back through the loop at the same time and then tighten.  Has not failed me yet. 

Back when I was in college (mid 90's), one of the daughters was working at The Fishing Center in the summer and seemed pretty cute.  Can you confirm if she is still attractive?

The dude with that helipad that is putting in all the large rock walls has a HUGE lot. And that is just his play area.   Never would have known how big it was until he started putting up the rocks.  He ran a fuel line under the road to his house to fill up his boat. 

21 minutes ago, Mac8111 said:

Can you confirm if she is still attractive?

She’s single.  That would put her close to your age. Cool chick. Great family. Both sides of their family are all over that town.  

Story we always joke about. Owner of that huge boat and house actually worked for my buddy’s dad (fishing center guy) out of college.  Decided instead to start a pipeline company.  Boom. Has enough money for fuck you boats, houses, and a maroon helicopter to lend his alma mater.  Nice guy from what I understand as well, but major aggy.  

My buddy's Cabo 48 has twin Cat 1000's.  He says you can approximate fuel burn by taking your speed (in knots) x gph PER ENGINE.  So at 25kts (which this thing does easy), that's 50 gph, or about $175-$200/hr.   His capacity is 1,100 gallons.
Which marina in southern california are you getting fuel for $4/gallon or less?

24 minutes ago, DCA_HORN said:
7 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Which marina in southern california are you getting fuel for $4/gallon or less?

Can get it in San Pedro for less than $4 for sure.

10 hours ago, Brew said:

Took the girls out and let them hook up on some trout and mangrove snapper. Dropped them off at the house and chased tarpon at dark hooking up on 3 10-15 pound fish. Another solid day on the water, but with their summer over it will probably be a few weeks before I get back out.

I do have a question for you long time saltwater guys. What knot are you using for leader connections? I’ve been avoiding using swivels and just go line to line, but I’m having an issue with them slipping lately or if I use a double uni they are hanging on the guides. It’s been an issue with Tarpon and large Snook mainly, but I don’t think it is a line size issue because it looks like they are just sliding apart.

I use the blood knot. 

i was listening to steven rinellas latest podcast which had guest "hank patterson" on.  before the i didn't know anything about hank patterson.  he's a character of a shitty fly guide.  below is his first episode.  i don't fly fish and found it funny.  but i may be just stupid.

Sadly, "bullwhipping" casts is my specialty.

And to further enhance the satire, he should've gone on and on about how much money he spent on his gear and underscored the indisputable fact that more money = more fish. The illusion would've been complete if he had snobbed or even possibly shot a spinfisherman.

5 hours ago, Lat22 said:

Albright or FG knot

FG is the one I’m having the biggest issue with. I can’t get it to lock in 100% of the time. The leader is sliding out of it more than I would like.The double uni has held well, but it’s too big. It catches on the guides on my inshore rods, so I lose too much accuracy targeting tarpon. I’ll give the others mentioned a shot.

16 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I was always the same mindset. I think I’ve changed my mind.  Not that it will ever matter unless a few numbers line up on the TV. 

Chewbacca, wrt fuel burn.  Good friend of mines family owns the Fishing Center. Since they were involved in POCO so long, a lot of those boats fueled up there just as habit.  Couple years ago we were there while No Compromise was fueling up.   They finished topping off their 4 or 5000 gallon tanks, then started in on the barrels.  If they didn’t have 15 barrels on the bow they didn’t have 1.   Saw them again a few days later, they were all empty (I’m sure like a bladder they empty them ASAP).  She and 2-3 others had run to MARS platform during the tournament. I don’t remember the specifics but they were at a fast cruise at a minimum to make it all happen. Also note, the owner is the owner of the Swagcopter.  You can see his house if you google earth POC. It’s the one with the ICW lot with only a helipad. 

Thanks.  That answers my question.  I was thinking for serious fishermen that there would be times that even a 4000 gal tank won't be sufficient.  So barrels on the bow it is...

EDIT:  Looks like they have bladders now.  If you search for No Compromise sportfishing, you can find this on the second or third link:

37271063_2012726202155685_11960560501391

Edited by Chewbacca

Yeah I figured they had a big bladder in the cockpit as well, but there wasn’t (at the time). I will say it looked like shit with all those empty barrels everywhere (especially on a 8-9mm boat) but they were one of 10 boats doing it, and I don’t live in that world, so who am I to say. 

4 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Thanks.  That answers my question.  I was thinking for serious fishermen that there would be times that even a 4000 gal tank won't be sufficient.  So barrels on the bow it is...

EDIT:  Looks like they have bladders now.  If you search for No Compromise sportfishing, you can find this on the second or third link:

37271063_2012726202155685_11960560501391

I’m shocked they didn’t have bladders. Everyone has had them a long time - heck I even have 2 250 gallon ones and I’m a poor in this world. They may have had an issue or needed both bladders and barrels for where they were fishing the tournament. It’s extremely rare for a boat that big to need bladders ever, and especially not in slow boat travel mode, but in a tournament where you are going to need to run 30+ knots over 700 miles round trip you gotta have ‘em. We made that same run last year to fish off Louisiana from Port O’Connor. It’s a beating on everyone to do it and I hope I never do it again.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, justhookit said:

I’m shocked they didn’t have bladders. Everyone has had them a long time - heck I even have 2 250 gallon ones and I’m a poor in this world. They may have had an issue or needed both bladders and barrels for where they were fishing the tournament. It’s extremely rare for a boat that big to need bladders ever, and especially not in slow boat travel mode, but in a tournament where you are going to need to run 30+ knots over 700 miles round trip you gotta have ‘em. We made that same run last year to fish off Louisiana from Port O’Connor. It’s a beating on everyone to do it and I hope I never do it again.

On the subject of long runs there was a thread on THT in the last week or so about a guy making the run from Orange Beach to Abacos in a 40’ Invincible Cat in one run. It was an interesting read on the way back when he made the 800 mile run in around 20 hours including a fuel stop and a trip through the locks across FL. Some people have bigger balls (and more money) than me. There is another one following a boat on the Great Loop that is more my speed.

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/1022942-orange-beach-al-abacos-water-invincible-40-cat-800-miles-return-trip-now.html

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I spend all of my free time thinking about fish. All of it. It’s a horrible disease.

Since I really don’t like money, I talked to the local tackle shop guy about fly fishing for Tarpon. He’s going to take me out for free next time i’m down and see if he can show me how to use s fly rod. The best money I’ve spent in the last year is with him. Every visit he’s got some sort of advice, which makes it worth the premium. If any of you find yourself in Sanibel, stop and see Whitney.

Boats occupy my thoughts about as much as fish.

47 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
58 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:
I spend all of my free time thinking about fish. All of it. It’s a horrible disease.

Are river levels finally normal for you? The Colorado was still slightly high a week and a half ago. Crazy runoff this year.

No where near average flows but they’re clear and the fishing has been lights out. And yeah, absolutely insane runoff. Peak was a month later than usual and flows are still 3-4x average still. What a difference a year makes. I was putting in at 5am and getting off at 9am with water temps in the upper 60s this time last year. Brutal.

35 minutes ago, Brew said:

Since I really don’t like money, I talked to the local tackle shop guy about fly fishing for Tarpon. He’s going to take me out for free next time i’m down and see if he can show me how to use s fly rod. The best money I’ve spent in the last year is with him. Every visit he’s got some sort of advice, which makes it worth the premium. If any of you find yourself in Sanibel, stop and see Whitney.

Boats occupy my thoughts about as much as fish.

The first tarpon I ever jumped was approaching 100 pounds. He tailwalked a mile, I fought him back to the boat, hooked pulled. My body was literally shaking for the next 2 hours. Might as well be a drug.

16 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

The first tarpon I ever jumped was approaching 100 pounds. He tailwalked a mile, I fought him back to the boat, hooked pulled. My body was literally shaking for the next 2 hours. Might as well be a drug.

The nature preserve I fish is full of juveniles. Beginning of the summer you could hook 5 pounders most every cast, now it is 10-20 pounders that are harder to hook up on and a bitch to land. The big ones are a whole different level.

6 hours ago, Brew said:

On the subject of long runs there was a thread on THT in the last week or so about a guy making the run from Orange Beach to Abacos in a 40’ Invincible Cat in one run. It was an interesting read on the way back when he made the 800 mile run in around 20 hours including a fuel stop and a trip through the locks across FL. Some people have bigger balls (and more money) than me. There is another one following a boat on the Great Loop that is more my speed.

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/1022942-orange-beach-al-abacos-water-invincible-40-cat-800-miles-return-trip-now.html

Thanks a lot. Got home and was planning to go to sleep but no. I’ll finish it tomorrow. Lots of thoughts about what a stupid idea it was but that guy propbender has been around a long time. Glad it was him and not some idiot.

4 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Dude, I probably jumped off 20 of the bastards before I ever got a good release on one. Fuck those fish. They make hooking a white marlin look easy.

9 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Incredible.  If you've ever been on the water around these little monsters, it's quite an experience.  Not exactly fishing, nor do I exactly feel bad about thinning them out.

Kentucky Fish/Wildlife 'shocks' Asian Carp

370l21.gif

hard to believe someone hasn't created a business harvesting and selling these fish.  have AI guided boats with giant nets on the sides slowly troll lakes and rivers shocking the shit out of the fish.  if you're catch ratio is only 1/10, you would still have a fuckton of fish to process and sell.

10 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

hard to believe someone hasn't created a business harvesting and selling these fish.  have AI guided boats with giant nets on the sides slowly troll lakes and rivers shocking the shit out of the fish.  if you're catch ratio is only 1/10, you would still have a fuckton of fish to process and sell.

Yep.  Supposed to not taste bad.  Guessing processing all those intramuscular bones can be a PITA.  Read that areas are also reintroducing alligator gars - which seem to love feasting on them.