2019 Fishing - Bent rods and tight lines

Mac8111

15 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

That's going to be a fun call to the insurance company. Seems like several times a year boats hit jetties on the gulf coast doing the same thing. 

Capt weighed in.  Took his lumps but swore it could have been salvaged with fast acting Vessel Assist.  Said he owed more on it than insurance would cover, which is odd.  First, if you have to finance a boat, don't buy a boat.  The purchase price is just the starting point of your financial hemorrhaging.  Second, marine finance companies typically require significant insurance on financed boats.  Not sure how he could under insure it.

I usually would never reply to the couch fisherman on this site that never go fishing and just talk crap but I have to say a few things to clear the air. First off I am not a charter boat and never was. I happened to have a good career that pays enough to afford the good things in life. I have a few friends and always looking for more to help pay for the costs because I like to go fishing and it is not cheap. I know I fucked up by dozing at the wheel and I apologized sincerely to all aboard and promised to get them whole again for their lost gear. I lost all of mine because I had no coverage for personal items and gear and the insurance money for the boat doesn't even cover what I owe on it. My friends are being compensated just as I promised them. I am not a millionaire just because I have a good job but I am a man of my word. I should of had everyone take turns driving but for some reason I didn't and I cant change that now. The Coast Guard was there in time to help us. All we needed was a pump and to be towed away from the island. They had that gear on board but would not even give it a try. The leaks were not major but steady and the bilge pump kept flipping the breaker but was keeping up. The only reason I left the boat myself was they told me they had TowBoat US on the way and they would be there in a few minutes. They were going to pump it out and tow it to a drydock and we were going to meet up later to get our gear and belongings. Everyone aboard heard that same thing. In any event there was 4 hours of daylight left when we last saw the boat so how can I not believe that TowBoat US was not on the way. Either the Harbor Patrol lied to me or Vessel assist dropped the ball they never showed up until the morning and I know for a fact they were aware of the boat being back there the day before because I spoke with them. When I asked where my boat was the said they had told the coast guard they were not going to get the boat until the morning around 8:00 AM but that's not what I was told. Nevertheless I received a citation for thousands for the fuel spill that no one ever saw. not a drop anywhere because it evaporated. No clean up costs. They charted how many gallons I told them I thought was in there and sent me the ticket. They could have prevented what happened but failed to help me. I am still trying to figure that one out. There is so much more to the story but in the end I lost. Probably for the better because after reading a few posts everyone else here is perfect and never makes mistakes. So say good bye to the bad guy with all your cocky jokes it may be the last time you ever have the chance. I'm out

What a jackass, he should have stopped when he acknowledged he could have had others at wheel watch but didnt. Save all that blame on the CG and towing company and blame yourself. Nice mention of the heavy fine too and all the lost fishing gear, poor thing.

Auto pilot and wheel watch, watch the radars, if you see another vessel or an island, wake me.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dewey said:

What a jackass, he should have stopped when he acknowledged he could have had others at wheel watch but didnt. Save all that blame on the CG and towing company and blame yourself. Nice mention of the heavy fine too and all the lost fishing gear, poor thing.

Auto pilot and wheel watch, watch the radars, if you see another vessel or an island, wake me.

Agreed.  Frankly I probably wouldn't have posted shit while the claim was still open.  I used to have my boat in a charter outfit.  The charter company mandated that all autopilots be disabled for this very reason.  Ironically (and sadly) one of the owners of another boat in the same outfit but another harbor sailed in the Newport to Ensenada race a few years back.  He re-enabled his autopilot, and around midnight he and his crew were killed when the boat plowed right into the Coronado Islands at night, presumably falling asleep with the autopilot engaged.

I don’t know, he owned the reason he ended up on the rocks where most would try and lay blame elsewhere. He’s pissed that the boat sat overnight when he was told the tow company (at least based on his version) was on the way out. I would be pissed to go from picture 1 to picture 2 if I was assured that the tow company was coming out immediately to try and salvage it. Realistically, they may have and couldn’t do anything with it at that point also. Who knows. Getting fined would also be a kick in the nuts when they brought your boat back in pieces as well, but it is what it is.

Ultimately the whole thing would suck and is completely avoidable, but how many auto pilot stories do you see with boats on a beach, jetty, etc. this time of year. At least in South Florida, I see a story almost weekly if not sev real times a week. It happens too often when it’s easily preventable.

I don’t know, he owned the reason he ended up on the rocks where most would try and lay blame elsewhere. He’s pissed that the boat sat overnight when he was told the tow company (at least based on his version) was on the way out. I would be pissed to go from picture 1 to picture 2 if I was assured that the tow company was coming out immediately to try and salvage it. Realistically, they may have and couldn’t do anything with it at that point also. Who knows. Getting fined would also be a kick in the nuts when they brought your boat back in pieces as well, but it is what it is.
Ultimately the whole thing would suck and is completely avoidable, but how many auto pilot stories do you see with boats on a beach, jetty, etc. this time of year. At least in South Florida, I see a story almost weekly if not sev real times a week. It happens too often when it’s easily preventable.

I don’t have experience with boats big enough to need autopilot. How exactly does it work? Do you just set it and it keeps you going in the same direction or course and the danger is you set it then fall asleep and hit something?

On 6/17/2019 at 4:53 PM, crash_davis said:

vibrio, or the reason i won't fish the texas coast from the late spring to early fall.

am i being too big of a pussy?  

Yes. And no. It sounds like you are doing the right thing washing off well once out. The bleach mixture probably keeps your nicks and cuts more red and sensitive than usual. 

Hell you’d have several hundred cases a week at Sunday beach alone if it was that bad.   

I tend to gravitate towards the passes more during the summer doldrums anyhow, better water and more fish moving.   I’m more concerned with how stagnant the water is than anything, freshwater included. You can get some nasty shit from stagnant freshwater too  

Not going to lie, it does seem to be getting more and more prevalent, but there’s more and more people on the water these days as well.  It’d probably take full blown AIDS water to keep me off in early May. 

I don’t have experience with boats big enough to need autopilot. How exactly does it work? Do you just set it and it keeps you going in the same direction or course and the danger is you set it then fall asleep and hit something?

Essentially, yes. Radar alarm should alert you way fucking before you crash into another boat or land.

13 hours ago, Texaus said:

Essentially, yes. Radar alarm should alert you way fucking before you crash into another boat or land.

Well, no. That’s not at all how autopilot works. What he said was exactly right. Radar alarm is a completely different thing, and isn’t going to work or even be equipped on a boat like that.

• Like 1

Made a quick run down to Oyster Lake near Palacios Thursday afternoon and fished overnight.  Never seen the tides that high there.  Water was over the bulkhead in spots.  That spit of shell usually runs 50 yards or so past the end of the bulkhead.  Bait everywhere, thousands of horse mullet, croaker, piggy perch and crabs.  No keepers but a lot of 15”-17” reds and some smaller black drum.  I think the fish could just swim with their mouth open and get full.  Tide was ripping through the channel.  Had the place to ourselves all night. 

D7-F0-A67-D-A8-FD-4048-B557-200390-FFE87

DA2086-C1-681-D-4-C95-89-A4-7-EF02-F6065

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag

On 6/17/2019 at 4:53 PM, crash_davis said:

vibrio, or the reason i won't fish the texas coast from the late spring to early fall.

i wish they had 2018 data.  i don't know if the increase is because of better reporting or if the shit in the water is getting worse.  maybe both.

https://www.dshs.texas.gov/IDCU/disease/vibrio/Vibrio-Infections-Data.pdf

this poor dude stuck his foot in the water and got the shit.

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/texas/article/Man-undergoes-life-saving-surgeries-after-13972901.php

i always read that it affects people with already compromised immune systems but then i also read about perfectly healthy people getting it.  last and the previous summers, i would get all kinds of worried if i got any nicks or cuts kayak fishing on the coast.  i would wash the area well with soap after i loaded the yak and got off the water, also soaked in half bleach, half water solutions when i got home, but the nicks/cuts would continue to be red, sensitive to the touch or even burn for a few days.  always worried the shit out of me.  and i'm an extremely healthy guy, or at least i think i am.

summer fishing the flats sucks anyway because usually by mid morning, the heat drives the fish off the flats or has them lock jaw and lethargic.  since i'm making a same day, back and forth trip from austin, that's a long ass drive for a small window of fishing. that combined with the vibrio shit, i decided to take off this and future summers   i'm storing the poles until late september.  imo, not worth the risk.

am i being too big of a pussy?  

Actually I was going to respond that you were being a pussy earlier in the week, but I never got around to it

Then last night I got a text from a friend that an older gentlemen we’ve known for years is in critical condition with a vibrio infection, multiple amputations and unlikely to survive. He was fishing but not wading. Near Galveston.

1 hour ago, 4th and 5 said:

Actually I was going to respond that you were being a pussy earlier in the week, but I never got around to it

Then last night I got a text from a friend that an older gentlemen we’ve known for years is in critical condition with a vibrio infection, multiple amputations and unlikely to survive. He was fishing but not wading. Near Galveston.

Damn that sucks.   I was trying to be really careful before wading, ended up getting a small scrape on my knee from the speaker cover on the truck door when it blew shut.  Guess I’ll be watching it closely the next couple of days.  Seems fine now.  

4 hours ago, 4th and 5 said:

damn, sorry to hear about it.  shit like this is what scares me.  the chances of getting it are slim but if you get it, you are in a world of hurt where amputations are considered lucky.  

i'm not that mad the fish during the summers.

Did four hour bottom fishing trip with Lilly M in Isla Mujeres on Sat. Constant action and some cool fish. Snapper, Triggers, Barracuda, Snake Fish, Poggies, reef fish were just some of the things we reeled in. We took them to Ballyhoo for dinner and they made great ceviches, Fried and grilled with garlic sauce.

27036cac74bdbd4676ca6cf181f8068d.jpg

cb07a8349e63fde5cee197b5a527fd66.jpg

eca7f4aae64bf32c086d541664b9321a.jpg

ff15e07d3c89955e703dd85f16a34d49.jpg

372dd18b3242b9b41b83893f8d1c77b8.jpg

ee5822a89832c1f8eddcce27c89b08f0.jpg

9f5c8b275da3fcb36264419528625667.jpg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, BearSchlong said:

How do triggerfish taste?

It is one of the better fish out there.. The fillets are thin with not a whole lot of meat on them though for average size ones, so it works well pan fried.

• Like 1

It is one of the better fish out there.. The fillets are thin with not a whole lot of meat on them though for average size ones, so it works well pan fried.

When we would bring one in the boat, the Capt would just say “Ceviche!
  • Like 1

My friend didn't make it.

I read this on TTMB

Saharan dust nutrients promote Vibriobloom formation in marine surface waters.

https://www.pnas.org/content/113/21/5964

and this

Larger wave of Saharan Dust arrives by Sunday-Tuesday

https://wgno.com/2019/06/21/larger-wave-of-saharan-dust-arrives-by-sunday-tuesday/

IS THE INFECTION PREVENTABLE?

Yes, in large part, precautions can dramatically reduce the chance of infection. But there is no full protection against these infections, though washing the wound is the best defense. Enlightenment is the best vaccination. Do not take lightly or ignore any abrasion or cut that is exposed to seawater. Flush it with freshwater and soap immediately.

Be aware the bacteria can enter the bloodstream through a puncture from a stingray, a fish fin, shrimp horn, or a fishhook. Never go wade fishing with an unprotected cut, sore or skin abrasion. Wear proper boots, long pants or chest waders to avoid cuts and scrapes from submerged objects.

WHAT ABOUT FIRST AID?

If you get hit by a stingray, do not continue fishing, especially if you believe a piece of the barb remains embedded. Get to a doctor. If you cut yourself while fishing, immediately, vigorously, and thoroughly clean and flush the wound with soap and freshwater. As soon as possible, douse the wound with a bleach, peroxide, or other antibacterial product. Carry these items on your boat.

Seek medical attention if you experience fever, chills, vomiting or dizziness during or after a fishing trip, or after eating raw/under cooked seafood. All oysters from Texas and Louisiana contain some Vibrio, according to Dr. Matthew.

Bought some of these Chasebait squid that REALLY look to have good action.  Squid are favorites of yellowtail and white seabass which are showing in numbers at Catalina, but I don't have a live bait tank on my sailboat so I am restricted to plastics with cut squid or jigging a few live anchovies or sardines, but need to use them quick.  They are supposed to be pretty effective, so we shall see.  Anyone have experience?

sailboat is just a big ol teaser.   Have a cedar plug off the stern and see what hits it.  If you're really hard core soak your cedar plugs in Menhaden oil.  Do not, I repeat do not, knock over the jug of menhaden oil in your garage!

8 minutes ago, Loco said:

sailboat is just a big ol teaser.   Have a cedar plug off the stern and see what hits it.  If you're really hard core soak your cedar plugs in Menhaden oil.  Do not, I repeat do not, knock over the jug of menhaden oil in your garage!

I have my cedar plug trolling rig all rigged and ready.  

If you're really hard core soak your cedar plugs in Menhaden oil.  Do not, I repeat do not, knock over the jug of menhaden oil in your garage!

Pro tip: if you fishing in you first SKA tournament in Tx are new to East Coast style light line king fishing, turn off your pogy oil drip before you hit the dock and not a week later in your boat shed.

45 minutes ago, davidg said:

Pro tip: if you fishing in you first SKA tournament in Tx are new to East Coast style light line king fishing, turn off your pogy oil drip before you hit the dock and not a week later in your boat shed.

It sounded sexier when your mom said it.

On 6/22/2019 at 10:06 AM, 4th and 5 said:

Terrible news 4th and 5.  Scary stuff. 

11 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

4th, sorry, but I missed this.  What exactly happened?  Not sure I'm following?  So sorry for your loss.

Vibrio. “Flesh eating bacteria” has been seemingly more common in Tx coastal waters over last several years. Typically affects the elderly or weak immune with a scrape or cut.  Scary shit. Can go from a red dot like a mosquito bite (that you wouldn’t notice) to full amputation (or death) in days.  

Broke my prop shaft running down the ICW in deep water yesterday evening. Didn't hit anything, no warning, motor just shook hard for a couple seconds, then it wouldn't go. Thought I blew the powerhead for a second. Miracle of miracles, I was right in front of Charlies running from Welder's to the Lagoon when it happened. Dropped the trolling motor and made it the 200 yards or so to the dock. Prop and the rest of the shaft are at the bottom of the ICW. Lower didn't seize or anything. I can grab what's left of the shaft and it turns easily. 

29 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Broke my prop shaft running down the ICW. Miracle of miracles, I was right in front of Charlies. Dropped the trolling motor and made it the 200 yards or so to the dock. Prop and the rest of the shaft are at the bottom of the ICW. Lower didn't seize or anything. I can grab what's left of the shaft and it turns easily. 

Very lucky. I would have it resealed and tested even though it’s free spinning, I’m sure that’s the plan  

I snuck offshore this AM to calm seas, but knowing there were some systems coming later in the AM. Landed two ~45” kings and the biggest Spanish Mack I’ve ever seen trolling some Rapalas. Tried to drop on some snapper but was getting rough so didn’t do anything there :(

Wind and seas built quick way ahead of the system so we headed in.  Ran an Italian tuneup in the ICW and saw 6 other boats limping into the jetties about an hour after we did. Made the right call there. 

Saw where 3 boats capsized yesterday out of Cameron, including a 24’ Haynie at 53 miles offshore. Hits close to home and all that.  The pop up storms this time of year can be deadly, have to really watch the Wx and keep you head on a swivel.  

@fattieflattie where did you see the news about that?

I used to take my 24 Boston Whaler Outrage that far out of Cameron back in the day, but then again that hull was designed for it.

Woke up at 3 am yesterday, checked the weather and went back to sleep, which was the right call even though I was PO'd all day about not getting to fish.

@fattieflattie where did you see the news about that?
I used to take my 24 Boston Whaler Outrage that far out of Cameron back in the day, but then again that hull was designed for it.
Woke up at 3 am yesterday, checked the weather and went back to sleep, which was the right call even though I was PO'd all day about not getting to fish.

Threads on THT today. Supposedly one a Haynie and other a skiff with a 90 (wtf?). I’ll try to dig it up. While we were out today USCG was talking about a boat taking on water, “half sunk” but after the original notification on 16 it went silent. Or at least way less chatter than you’d expect. That said, I don’t know how far we were picking up from and the storms were all west of us at that time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damn. You have to be a special kind of crazy to take a 24’ bay boat that far out.   

Ahem.

b4b679e67a36057bf6a82c39a995eab0.jpg

49 miles out. Was so smooth we got over 50 mph at one point on way in just decarbing everything a bit.

80a4eddb615b546479c8b1ebd3bbca10.jpg

There are things you can do to mitigate most issues, but any single engine boat offshore is a major drawback. I don’t care if it’s a 35’ Bert, if it’s got a single, it’s more venerable.

Personally, my boat stays in ship shape as a minimum. I have access to private area specific offshore Wx reports thru work, so that helps. And it needs to be holding a solid trend of 1-2’s or less on a 5+ second period for a minimum of 3 days before we even start thinking about it. We also take a buddy boat about 80% of the time. That doesnt help in a storm but for broken shaft/engine issue it is a safety net. Also we carry a PLB, and are AIS registered. Radio and backup radio, ditch bag etc.

The far and away most important thing is - no chances. No chances on equipment, no chances on 1/3 fuel, no chances on Wx. If there’s an issue with any of those, no go. There will be another flat day. I really want a sail off this boat.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Threads on THT today. Supposedly one a Haynie and other a skiff with a 90 (wtf?). I’ll try to dig it up. While we were out today USCG was talking about a boat taking on water, “half sunk” but after the original notification on 16 it went silent. Or at least way less chatter than you’d expect. That said, I don’t know how far we were picking up from and the storms were all west of us at that time.

https://www.thehulltruth.com/gulf-coast/1019253-bad-day-out-cameron.html

Here you go, saw it over the weekend.

• Like 1

Talking about the storm that rolled through Saturday? They did miss bad on that, storm hit Galveston around 1:30, an hour later I went to leave for work and couldn't, streets were flooded, cars stalled out. That had to be shitty out in the Gulf, been stuck in many storms out there, glad I wasnt in that one.

Been out there on a commercial Fisher, outriggers were the only thing that saved us, storm came from nowhere and we are a single crew, trying to turn this beast into the waves. Whew, rock and roll.

Spent the last 4 days down at the land cut.  We were on the boat by 2:30pm Thursday and didn't really stop fishing until Saturday night.  Almost made a Sunday morning trip to make up for the slow Saturday.  Hundreds of fish caught each day but keepers were minimal.   Down South Lures Bone Diamond (afternoon and under the lights) and Red Shad (morning) were the winners.  Didn't catch many fish on croaker or perch.