Family Guard Dog

Get a Caucasian Ovcharka, toyed around with getting one long ago then realized I didn’t want a buddy walking into the house and my dog killing him by mistake. Got to walk one once and I don’t really think it was well trained, feeling that dog pull on that leash made me quickly realize that if it decided to go somewhere other than where I wanted it to their was nothing I was gonna do to stop it, supposedly they are very much a one family dog and will protect what they know with their life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 1/30/2019 at 5:40 PM, Chewbacca said:

I have a friend who has one.  He's fucking loaded (has his own jet loaded), so I wouldn't be surprised to find out it cost him $50k or something crazy like that.  He didn't even get the dog until it was finished training, but the training is impressive.  If the dog doesn't know you, it will put itself between you and him if you got close to him.  I'm sure there were varying degrees of aggression past that point.  I didn't really want to find out.  But it also seemed kind of strange having a dog like that in your home.  Dogs are supposed to be fun and lovable, not death dealing killers.

It probably did.

https://protectiondogsplus.com/meet-our-dogs/available-dogs/

A few people have said it but you just need a dog with a big bark. I travel like you (even more) and have 3 and 6 year old girls at home. We have a retriever/pyrenees mix and no stranger is coming in my home. The dog is super cool with the kids hanging all over her but if someone she does not know comes by she is always in between them and the person and she looks like you should be scared of her (even though I doubt she would ever hurt a soul). 

2 hours ago, msucolt45 said:

Big dog bark, but great family dog, is a Corgi. I’ve had two over the last two decades, and aside of being shedding bastards, I’d own another! I might need to get a new one to help out my dumbass Basset Hound - dumbest bred I’ve ever owned. Wife’s choice!

Yeah scary till the burglar sees it. The of course he shits himself laughing.  Love Corgis, great personality and high motor...

There was a poster at TOS who had a cane corso. I don’t know anything about them, but his dog is beautiful and looked like it would sufficiently scare the shit out of anyone who had less than good intentions.

Slade posts here too. Just very rarely. But I have seen him. His dog was his avatar. Beautiful animal.

Op, you probably don’t need a full on trained dog. Like others have said, get something that’s medium sized and barks at strangers. Most good dogs will try to protect their owners. They aren’t cats.

While you’re at it, teach your kid gun safety now. I’d have a loaded gun somewhere accessible to the wife, even if it’s in a biometric bedside safe.

39 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Slade posts here too. Just very rarely. But I have seen him. His dog was his avatar. Beautiful animal.

Op, you probably don’t need a full on trained dog. Like others have said, get something that’s medium sized and barks at strangers. Most good dogs will try to protect their owners. They aren’t cats.

While you’re at it, teach your kid gun safety now. I’d have a loaded gun somewhere accessible to the wife, even if it’s in a biometric bedside safe.

On 2/3/2019 at 10:02 AM, Big D said:

Get one of these.  He has been trained with an e-collar and a lot of attention.  I believe it’s best to be involved in the training of the dog.   I take it as a challenge.  Just my 2 cents.

00-FB6-BB3-4-FAB-4-BB1-B8-D8-93-D44-A11-

+1000. Of course, you have to be prepared never to poop alone ever again

Get one of these.  He has been trained with an e-collar and a lot of attention.  I believe it’s best to be involved in the training of the dog.   I take it as a challenge.  Just my 2 cents.
00-FB6-BB3-4-FAB-4-BB1-B8-D8-93-D44-A11-BAE5.jpg

As a bonus, you can get five others and go rob a bank with them.

I skimmed the thread but having grown up with GSD's I will just say that its a huge time commitment.  They need tons of exercise or they will become destructive AF.   GSD is protective by nature you really don't need to have it "attack" trained IMO but you do need to do serious obedience training.  Read read read about the breed.

Edited by midtown

On 1/30/2019 at 4:41 PM, Errestaurants said:

Anyone have/had an East German DDR Shepherd or Belgian Malinois for a Family guard dog? One that was trained for family protection. Would love to hear pros and cons of these breeds and your overall experience. Thanks in Advance.

I have a personal protection trained dutch shepherd.  feel free to PM me any questions.

• Like 1

I have a Rottweiler, grew up with them, my mother still refuses to have any dogs except Rotties. They're one of the smartest breeds, they bond, they don't require a lot of exercises (30 mins a day max), they're not barkers, but due to their bonding, they're very very loyal. Here's mine, how can you not love that face:

imgur

I love rotties too, and there were a couple at the pound when we got Luna, but my wife was attacked by one when she was a little girl and is terrified of them.

I dated a girl who had one, and she lived in a third floor apartment so the dog was mine for a while as it had bad hips and had a really hard time on the stairs.   One time we took her 6 year old cousin to the dog park. The rottie made a 10 foot circle around the little girl that no dog was allowed to enter. It was pretty funny watching her try to be mean when she was really just a big goofball. 

One time I babysat my friends 180 pound great dane. My rottie had a certain spot on the bed she always slept that allowed her to look out the window and check for evil squirrels. The great dane beat her to the bed and laid down in her usual spot. She came up and gave the biggest growl I ever heard out of her. The great dane ignored her. She growled again, no movement, followed by a lower growl, followed by a crying wimper, followed by going to the living room and sleeping on the couch.

The girlfriend later took her back. I went and visited one time and the dog sat at the front door for hours and scratched all the paint off the door after I left.

On 2/11/2019 at 11:42 AM, midtown said:

I skimmed the thread but having grown up with GSD's I will just say that its a huge time commitment.  They need tons of exercise or they will become destructive AF.   GSD is protective by nature you really don't need to have it "attack" trained IMO but you do need to do serious obedience training.  Read read read about the breed.

Agree, these are wonderful dogs but should only reside with active families. A brief walk a day will not cut it. Plus they need to be kept busy in between walks. If not, they will tear up anything not made out of steel. When our GS was still a puppy, she chewed a big ass hole in my shed door.

Its true that they naturally will be protective but they need obedience training and socialization to properly be protective. Otherwise they will end up treating everyone not in the family as hostile invaders. If trained right, they will read situations and react appropriately rather than just go into attack mode. Ours had a strong herding instinct, when we would go out as a family for hikes she was constantly surveying the area and nudging my kids in a specific direction. It was like my kids had their own Secret Service detail.

She was an amazing dog, its been awhile since she passed away. I want to eventually get another GS but just not ready yet.

Getting dusty in here, going to stop now.