If BaD Radio isn't on from 3-7 p.m. ...

mdmost

Anybody else Notice how Danny was kind of going in at Bob week one with some of his digs. Then last week he cracked a joke about not getting the chair Bob got. Think there is some animosity there? I didn’t have even considered Danny for the co-host spot.

It’s a bit. Danny has always done the self-deprecating thing pretty well. Corby/Danny played like a Saturday morning f-around show, not afternoon drive.

Bob 3 to 7. Makes Corby better. Danny is the rock. Didnt see it when first announced but easily won me over. Engaging content, genuine buy in from participating parties. Now there is structure but still flexibility to riff when needed. 

Lulz, did nothing but weaken BaD radio, Corby still sucks and it’s still unlistenable for me and I like Bob. Was a stupid decision to break up their best show
  • Like 3

Bob gives foundation to THL. Jake is doing a fantastic job stepping up, but he's not Bob and never will be. The traditional station dynamic is shattered with exception to The Musers. They saved the existing product with the host swap, but they weakened the sauce substantially. Jake & Dan do not have the same dynamic as Bob & Dan. Bob & Corby a horrible fit with a Danny turd on top.

Edited by RPM
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, RPM said:

Bob gives foundation to THL. Jake is doing a fantastic job stepping up, but he's not Bob and never will be. The traditional station dynamic is shattered with exception to The Musers. They saved the existing product with the host swap, but they weakened the sauce substantially. Jake & Dan do not have the same dynamic as Bob & Dan. Bob & Corby a horrible fit with a Danny turd on top.

...I don't think he wants to be Bob or Bob 2.0 or Young Bob or anything along those lines. 

Also, of course Jake & Dan don't have the same dynamic, Bob & Dan had 20 years together and 5000+ episodes. 

Dislike Jake all you want, but expecting two guys who had worked together for 20 years to have the same dynamic as two guys who have worked together (on the same level) for how many weeks is a bad take.

• Like 1

I mean it's been barely 2 weeks for each show. Bob and Dan were awful when they first got together. They didn't find their legs for a while, had terrible chemistry for almost 6 months, and  each one was trying to be the alpha. Jake is not Bob, sure. But that's not a terrible thing. I enjoy Bob's twitter feed because he always sent out the run sheet which helped me know what overly sports segments I could tune out. 

• Like 1

On 3/2/2020 at 6:41 AM, Mileslong said:

Lulz, did nothing but weaken BaD radio, Corby still sucks and it’s still unlistenable for me and I like Bob. Was a stupid decision to break up their best show

Exactly. You never mess with your best product, which was BAD by far. The Hardline will always fucking suck because of Corby. He drags down anyone you place him with. They are wasting their best host in Bob with that no talent hack. He's a yuck monkey and nothing more. And he'd still be a yuck monkey who pops in with ENews and any other entertainment segments if Greggo could hold down a job. 

• Like 3

It's always interesting how we are all on here talking about how Corby shouldn't be a host yet he's been one for over 12 years now. Outside of the past Cowboys season, the ratings have been good. That can't all have been because of disinterested Rhyner. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, mdmost said:

It's always interesting how we are all on here talking about how Corby shouldn't be a host yet he's been one for over 12 years now. Outside of the past Cowboys season, the ratings have been good. That can't all have been because of disinterested Rhyner. 

The typical listener doesn't have a UT bias, and Corby and Junior being OU asshats doesn't even register with them.

Norm and Donnie have been on a long time as well, are they good? You could put any show next to the musers and BaD radio and they would have good ratings, people just don’t change the channel.

Junior is anti UT but I think he is a very good host, I don’t like Corby because he brings nothing

BAD Radio wasn't winning its timeslot for a long time. Of the timeslots, drive time are always the leaders. That's why Bob is there from 3-7 and not Jake. People tune in much more for the Hardline than they ever did for BAD, even in the post-Greggo years. If I had the desire I would go back through ratings from years when the Ticket was kicking everyone's ass to show you this. But I don't. Think what you will but it's silly to think people listen to the Hardline because BAD is the lead-in. 

• Like 2

So what should the solution have been? I wasn't a fan of breaking up BaD Radio but I don't know what the other option was. Jake to the Hardline to over-bro it up with Corby? Corby demoted to somewhere else and bring in Ben and Skin? No matter what was done we'd all still be bitching and moaning about something. After a few weeks to soak it in in think they made the best decision.

3 minutes ago, nolongerU2horn said:

So word has it that Dan Bennett overruled Cat and signed Norm to an extension.

Poor Seacow. He may not stick around-- if you listened to his Twitch on the night Jake got the 12-3 gig, he was heavily implying that he'd listen to other offers if Norm wasn't gone in April.

If that's the case they need to just promote Sirois to full-time third host, give him some more money and bring in somebody else to produce -- or just give him host money to produce.

I'm telling you, they keep Norm strictly for the advertising revenue. He does the advertising, Dongovan does the hosting. Seriously, listen to an average day on the Ticket and see how many spots Norm does compared to the rest of the station, not in their timeslots. Norm is the cash cow. 

Edited by mdmost

It's not about listeners. Maybe it's more he's old school Dallas radio royalty. Like having Ron Chapman hock your business. Bob's Steak and Chop House for instance strikes me as wanting an old school radio person to be their steak spokesman. Now that Rhyner's gone, Norm becomes even more important for that. The old school Dallas credibility would only be Donovan Miller.

Edited by mdmost

10 minutes ago, mdmost said:

It's not about listeners. Maybe it's more he's old school Dallas radio royalty. Like having Ron Chapman hock your business. Bob's Steak and Chop House for instance strikes me as wanting an old school radio person to be their steak spokesman. Now that Rhyner's gone, Norm becomes even more important for that. The old school Dallas credibility would only be Donovan Miller.

I guess that makes some sense.  I'm only 35 so I just know anything about Norm's heyday.  I don't know how old you have to be to have any remembrance of Norm's fastball.  Old radio royalty seems like an oxymoron for something that's wanting to capture the men 35-50 audience.  Do the stations that are supposedly beating the ticket in ratings have their own old radio royalty?

I don't know what more it could be than that. Maybe worried about the station losing more sports credibility after Rhyner leaving? It's pretty obvious that Norm is rolling downhill rapidly. 10-12 has to be least listened to time of the day, right? Someone on Reddit said Norm should be like Dale, given one show a week. Or some sort of Show Host Immertus position where he's brought on to discuss things. I switch off after D&M are over and listen to music so I don't bother listening to that show in anything other than small increments. But it really sucks for Sirois that Norm is coming back. 

9 hours ago, gyroprotagonist said:

this biggest tune out for the new Hardline is Danny's constant use of his 'announcer guy' voice for everything.  Just fucking talk normal or talk less.  Maybe both.  Definitely both.  sucks that he does CQHs now.

You talking about that annoying ass Hank Hill meets Bevis and Butthead voice he always does?  Drives me insane.  Has to be some sort of nervous crutch or something. Worst part about the new hardline for me is the increased talking role from Danny.  Corby doesn’t bother me nearly as much as most posters on here and I think he and Bob are doing great.  But...less Danny.

• Like 1

On 3/2/2020 at 6:41 AM, Mileslong said:

7 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Exactly. You never mess with your best product, which was BAD by far. The Hardline will always fucking suck because of Corby. He drags down anyone you place him with. They are wasting their best host in Bob with that no talent hack. He's a yuck monkey and nothing more. And he'd still be a yuck monkey who pops in with ENews and any other entertainment segments if Greggo could hold down a job. 

I think the ratings disagreed with yalls takes.

5 hours ago, mdmost said:

BAD Radio wasn't winning its timeslot for a long time. Of the timeslots, drive time are always the leaders. That's why Bob is there from 3-7 and not Jake. People tune in much more for the Hardline than they ever did for BAD, even in the post-Greggo years. If I had the desire I would go back through ratings from years when the Ticket was kicking everyone's ass to show you this. But I don't. Think what you will but it's silly to think people listen to the Hardline because BAD is the lead-in. 

Have some rep.  At least someone understands how this shit works.

5 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

You talking about that annoying ass Hank Hill meets Bevis and Butthead voice he always does?  Drives me insane.  Has to be some sort of nervous crutch or something. Worst part about the new hardline for me is the increased talking role from Danny.  Corby doesn’t bother me nearly as much as most posters on here and I think he and Bob are doing great.  But...less Danny.

At least it appears Danny reads the Community Quick Hits stories before taking them to the airwaves.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, C-Man said:

At least it appears Danny reads the Community Quick Hits stories before taking them to the airwaves.

True.  Corby was pretty bad about that.  So was Jake, but nobody here noticed that because Jake’s not an ou fan so he’s awesome.