Jump to content
Jograves

Joaquin Phoenix as Joker

Recommended Posts

I watched this movie a few nights ago and I think you have it straight. 
While I watched the Nolan trilogy and enjoyed it, as well as enjoying Burton’s earlier version, I don’t typically give a shit about comic books, their canon or the movies that go with many of them these days. So I went into this movie simply expecting something about the Joker. I didn’t read up on it and I’d seen headlines that it was excellent. What I watched was a well done movie about mental illness that hijacked an iconic character from our society for the craven purpose of selling fucking tickets. I thought it was a miserable piece of shit of a story for doing that. Great acting though. 
It’s the most nominated movie of 2019 for the Oscars. I’m sure it will win a bunch including best actor. That’s great and all, but this wasn’t about the Joker and this doesn’t even vaguely compare to Ledger’s work. It’s a shame that that comparison is forced upon us since they used the basic premise of the villain to make money. Bleh. I don’t need fucking arthouse stories on the archetype for chaos in our society. 



I think this is a decent movie, certainly more enjoyable than most comic book movies, but it being the most nominated movie for the Oscars is kind of silly (then again it is the Oscars).  My main issue with this movie is that there is no depth to it.  It creates a really interesting world and sets up an interesting character but doesn't do much with these elements.  


Watched this tonight. Agree with a lot of these quoted comments. It was like Batman/Joker in a Requiem for a Dream world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting posts above about the not Joker, and the not comic book portrayal. I thought the fact he was able to make it a not so blunt force trauma to the head about an obvious comic book character, that was it's best angle. Phoenix was brilliant, and while I think Ledgers Joker was amazing, and was Oscar worthy, this portrayal is darker, uglier, and closer to reality.

You feel empathy for this joker, none for Ledger, who was a classic comic book villain, and was funny in his evilness. This character is reality, and puts a mirror up to societies nose, and rubs its face in it.  I Fucking loved it.  I hope if there's a second installment he can maintain that sense of reality, and not have  it devolve into some Tim Burtonesque, BS, ridiculousness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, C-Man said:

Watched this tonight. Agree with a lot of these quoted comments. It was like Batman/Joker in a Requiem for a Dream world.

Ass to ass?

Edited by mdmost

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw it last night and really liked it, but I'm not a comic book dork.  Phoenix was absolutely terrific.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 2/9/2020 at 8:10 AM, Onboard 2.0 said:

Phoenix was brilliant, and while I think Ledgers Joker was amazing, and was Oscar worthy, this portrayal is darker, uglier, and closer to reality.  You feel empathy for this joker, none for Ledger, who was a classic comic book villain, and was funny in his evilness. This character is reality, and puts a mirror up to societies nose, and rubs its face in it.  I Fucking loved it.  I hope if there's a second installment he can maintain that sense of reality, and not have  it devolve into some Tim Burtonesque, BS, ridiculousness.

There were definitely situations with Ledger's Joker where the audience could empathize with his character...

giphy.gif

 

 

Edited by LTtxfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

 

There were definitely situations with Ledger's Joker where the audience could empathize with his character...

giphy.gif

True, but there are always psychos in an audience....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Calling this the Joker was an insult because it had fuck all to do with the Joker.  It was a story about a mentally ill man, they just stamped Joker on top of it.  Good movie?  Of course.  But tying it to the Batman universe was stupid.

Also, ambiguous endings are a cop out.  Grow some fucking balls and decide on an ending.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, PilotsError said:

Calling this the Joker was an insult because it had fuck all to do with the Joker.  It was a story about a mentally ill man, they just stamped Joker on top of it.  Good movie?  Of course.  But tying it to the Batman universe was stupid.

Also, ambiguous endings are a cop out.  Grow some fucking balls and decide on an ending.  

Well...  that's a certainly a theory....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, PilotsError said:

Also, ambiguous endings are a cop out.  Grow some fucking balls and decide on an ending.  

what about it was ambiguous?  I thought it was pretty clear what happened. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is because you are insane and delusional, thus able to identify with the character.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
what about it was ambiguous?  I thought it was pretty clear what happened. 


It might have been all in his head, it might not. It’s intentionally ambiguous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Meh.

I can appreciate Phoenix' performance, but I didn't really enjoy it.  Started doing other shit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I loved it, a helluva lot better underdog story than some rabble like Rudy.  Yes, I know that makes me sound rather deranged.

Phoenix must be part man, part preying mantis with his odd body and creepy movements. Tai chi on lithium. Just an amazing job by him and I was completely into the movie, from the 70’s film stock style to the increasing tension as Arthur both descends and rises. Phillips even casts Travis Bickle as the late night host. 

”You talk-showing to me?” 

Speaking of tension, when the little person tries to exit the apartment, but he can’t reach the chain... and we are left wondering whether Arthur will explode in violence again... holy shit, that was great.

I don’t care about ambiguous endings. I saw what happened on the screen and was entertained greatly. A mature job of filmmaking by Todd Phillips and an acting tour de force by Phoenix. 

Edited by Vito Andolini

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Take away the Joker title/Batman tie in and it's a small indie film that makes 400k in theaters and none of us have ever heard of it.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, chikin23 said:

Take away the Joker title/Batman tie in and it's a small indie film that makes 400k in theaters and none of us have ever heard of it.

 

 

True, which would have been a shame because it's a powerful movie, and performance that transcends comic book action films.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I re-watched it last week, still loved it. It’s pretty clear it resonates more with people that have dealt with being that depressed/anxious/forgotten person , and not so much with those that haven’t. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

Phillips even casts Travis Bickle as the late night host. 

I thought that was Rupert Pupkin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But then I couldn’t use my , “you talk-showing to me?” line.;)  I think it could be an homage to both DeNiro characters, and Phillips obviously stole the look of the film from Scorsese. I never looked at this thread before I posted, then went back thru and saw all the allusions to King of Comedy, and someone mentioned Phoenix is actually wearing either the same or similar jacket during his appearance on the talk show as Rupert wore in KoC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I just looked it up, I guess the jacket connection was actually in a movie poster for Joker.in which Joaquin Phoenix is seen wearing the same jacket as Pupkin, but it wasn’t in the actual film. Both characters also wear a red suit, for what it’s worth.

https://www.polygon.com/2019/4/2/18292261/joker-movie-joaquin-phoenix-new-poster-teaser

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Vito Andolini

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Just watched it for the first time.

Man, that was dark.  I’ll talk more on it later.  I’m still trying to get over what I just saw.

I’m just drained.

Edited by Rip76

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/6/2020 at 1:54 PM, Helobious said:

Yeah I re-watched it last week, still loved it. It’s pretty clear it resonates more with people that have dealt with being that depressed/anxious/forgotten person , and not so much with those that haven’t. 

If it doesn't resonate with folks who've never suffered depression or bullying, then they're just not very human.  I've never suffered depression, but had an older kid in elementary school use me as his whipping boy, but that has nothing to do with recognizing, and having sympathy seeing the torment of a fellow human being.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...