2020 Texas Baseball

zlavydra

32 minutes ago, UTPhil2006 said:

Kendall Rogers tweeted out that had Sean Allen gotten hired at SHSU, that another "blockbuster" hire could have happened as well.  Anyone have any insight on this?

Wondering the same thing??

·
12h
#Texas could have had more blockbuster moves on the way had Sean Allen headed to Sam Houston State. At any rate, I’m very much intrigued to see how Tulowitzki does as a college coach. I’ve heard he’s a consummate grinder on the evaluation front.

Edited by LTtxfan

6 hours ago, UTPhil2006 said:

Kendall Rogers tweeted out that had Sean Allen gotten hired at SHSU, that another "blockbuster" hire could have happened as well.  Anyone have any insight on this?

6 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Wondering the same thing??

·
12h
#Texas could have had more blockbuster moves on the way had Sean Allen headed to Sam Houston State. At any rate, I’m very much intrigued to see how Tulowitzki does as a college coach. I’ve heard he’s a consummate grinder on the evaluation front.

No idea,  but to Pierce's credit,  he does seem to have contacts.

Re:  Sean Allen.    Looking at FIU's staff from '08-'11,  it doesn't appear Allen was the primary pitching coach,  likely just assisted with pitchers and infielders.   

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/teams/teamPage.asp?T=20041

Hope Pierce assists in finding another team/position for Haig.    Been with him for 7 years.   Did not see a public statement thanking him for his service and well wishes for the future.

10 hours ago, UTPhil2006 said:

Why keep Allen if you can get better coaches.

Bohls gives insight on Tulo (excerpts only).     My personal feeling on the hire is it can be a great advantage with the risk of becoming a distraction (media).    

•  

But he’s enjoying himself on an extended vacation that’s taken him and family members to the leather goods stores in Florence, the wineries and villages throughout Italy, the Louvre and what’s left of Notre Dame Cathedral in France. “I like Paris,” Pierce said in a phone call Monday. “I’ve seen a lot of Europe. But you can have Rome. It’s too crazy, it’s too busy. Somehow their chaos works.”

Pierce, on the other hand, couldn’t afford not to take some actions. He said he’s always wanted to add a “pro contingent” to his coaching staff and got in the mix with Tulowitzki after former Longhorns great Huston Street phoned Pierce “very much out of the blue” in late June to say his former Colorado Rockies teammate was interested in coaching at UT.

Pierce was a bit skeptical at first, but acting on the tip and the endorsements from Street and former UT outfielder Drew Stubbs, he called Tulowitzki and asked that he take 10 days to consider the idea. On the ninth day, an anxious Tulowitzki phoned back. The 34-year-old major-leaguer arrived in Austin two days later along with his wife and son, Taz, and sealed the deal.

But can someone for whom hitting seemed to come so easily coach others not as well-equipped?

If anything, Tulowitzki said the players he’ll be coaching are “probably more talented than I was at the same age.”

Tulowitzki deflected questions about his long-term future and his viability and interest in a job as a major-league manager or general manager, saying he’s always one “to keep the main thing the main thing.”

https://www.hookem.com/columns/bohls-pierce-landing-troy-tulowitzki-grand-slam-get-texas-baseball-program/

• Like 1

I realize the power of showing him in a Yankees uniform for marketing purposes, and maybe it was Troy's idea...but Jesus man...you played 4 games in the field as a Yankee.  Four.  Show some respect for the club you were a fixture with...the Rockies.  Glad he's here, I think he'll bring a great perspective.  But cool it with the Yankee shit.  

10 hours ago, petscii said:

Did we lose a game today?

Was I too hard on ZZ for ya?

Hang on, let me get my optics of the rose colored variety and my pump of little beams from the star which we all orbit.

I give Zubia mad credit for trying to change things up.  

You might take a cue.

On 8/1/2019 at 12:49 AM, LTtxfan said:

Welcome to Eugene, @Mbocchi33
The Italian and. @TexasBaseball
product made his Ems debut tonight! #GoEms | #ItAllStartsHere

10:23 PM · Jul 31, 2019·

gave up 2 hits in 3 scoreless innings in relief:

https://www.milb.com/gameday/indians-vs-emeralds/2019/07/31/578178#game_state=final,game_tab=box,game=578178

Woden HS is a 3A school in Nacogdoches County.     Though from a small school,  PG review and video look promising.

(Taylor is the second pitcher to decommit from SHSU,  the first was an excellent prospect from the Houston area.   Not a good sign since they promoted the pitching coach to head coach) 

Reid Taylor has decided that he’ll wear burnt — not bright — orange in college.

Taylor announced on Sunday that he has given the baseball team at Texas a verbal commitment. A 6-2 right-handed pitcher, Taylor currently attends Woden High in East Texas.

Taylor had originally committed to Sam Houston State.

https://www.hookem.com/2019/08/11/sam-houston-states-loss-is-texas-gain-as-ut-adds-a-pitcher-to-its-2020-recruiting-class/

Reid Taylor is a 2020 RHP/3B with a 6-2 205 lb. frame from Woden, TX who attends Woden. Strong and thick build, pretty mature physically. Crossfire delivery with an over the top arm slot, short stride out front, throws against himself but it works well for him and he repeats his mechanics and release point very well. Fastball topped out at 90 mph, creates plane and big running action on his fastball, works mostly to the arm side with his fastball. Hard downer curveball, can take off it a bit with bigger 11/5 shape at times. Change up mimics his fastball well. Tunnels all three pitches very well and can sequence them. Should have immediate success at the next level based on this outing, very polished and has deception and strike throwing ability. Good student, verbal commitment to Sam Houston State.

https://www.perfectgame.org/Players/Playerprofile.aspx?ID=488058

This summer, Texas sent a handful of its players to participate in various collegiate wood bat leagues across the country. The pitchers recorded some of UT’s biggest highlights over the past few months. Kolby Kubichek and Dawson Merryman were named all-stars in the Cape Cod League. Mason Bryant also threw in a showcase that was put on by the Northwoods League while Cole Quintanilla was invited to the California Collegiate League’s prospects game.

Off the mound, Eric Kennedy emerged as one of the best hitters in the California Collegiate League.      https://www.hookem.com/2019/08/12/summer-sessions-update-longhorns-playing-collegiate-wood-bat-leagues-3/

Summertime at Texas: Update 7

Summer Team League Statistics
OF Eric Kennedy Santa Barbara California .355 (54-152), 22 RBI, 32 R, 24 SB, 2 CS
INF Lance Ford Duluth Northwoods .240 (40-167), 19 RBI, 25 R, 8 2B
OF Duke Ellis Cotuit/Brewster Cape Cod .218 (17-78), 17 R, 4 RBI
INF Tanner Haney Victoria West Coast .271 (32-118), 14 RBI, 19 R, 6 2B
RHP Kolby Kubichek Chatham Cape Cod 30.0 IP, 0.90 ERA, 34 K, 9 BB, 16 H
RHP Ty Madden Chatham Cape Cod 27.0 IP, 3.33 ERA, 28 K, 14 BB, 24 H
RHP Dawson Merryman Chatham Cape Cod 15.1 IP, 3.52 ERA, 15 K, 9 BB, 15 H, 4 saves
LHP Thomas Burbank Gaithersburg Cal Ripken 35.0 IP, 5.14 ERA, 39 K, 10 BB, 35 H
RHP Cole Quintanilla Santa Barbara California 19.1 IP, 6.98 ERA, 21 K, 10 BB, 23 H
RHP Mason Bryant Duluth Northwoods 29.2 IP, 6.37 ERA, 44 K, 29 BB, 29 H
RHP Owen Meaney Duluth Northwoods 29.0 IP, 5.89 ERA, 41 K, 32 BB, 24 H

Edited by torre