impeachment inquiry hearings thread

henrygandorf

3 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Sondland donated a million bucks to trump's inauguration. He previously was a hotel chain magnate. 

Taylor on the other hand served in the Airborne in Vietnam as an infantry officer, graduated top 1% from Westpoint, served as ambassador to Ukraine 2006-2009, and was called out of retirement by Pompeo to be ambassador to Ukraine, after Guiliani had thrown enough dirt onto Yovanovich to get her removed by trump.

Pretty significant difference between the two, my dude.

Agreed.  Just wasn’t sure if it was Taylor.  It would have been nice to counter folks trying to paint Taylor as a never trumper (GOP only defense) though regardless I believe his record speaks for itself.

11 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

are there no rules regarding leading questions and what not?

It's not actually a trial no matter how many times it's referred to as one. Trump doesn't go to prison if he's impeached.

Edited by wildcat09

5 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

and all with the official newscaster voice of gravitas.

It's really funny to me that Trump's weird habit of hiring guys because they look like they're straight out of central casting might actually bite him in the ass here.

4 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Do the Republicans have outside counsel or are they doing the questioning themselves?  Don't feel like this dude will put up with their bullshit.

They have outside counsel.  I'm somewhat curious as to what on earth he could ask, and what bozo would possibly take that job given the current House GOP.

5 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Do the Republicans have outside counsel or are they doing the questioning themselves?  Don't feel like this dude will put up with their bullshit.

That would be counter to their goals. You don't need to hire outside counsel to conduct political grandstanding. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

That would be counter to their goals. You don't need to hire outside counsel to conduct political grandstanding. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/who-is-stephen-r-castor-the-gop-staff-attorney-in-the-impeachment-hearings/2019/11/12/4708df96-04a4-11ea-ac12-3325d49eacaa_story.html

6 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

They have outside counsel.  I'm somewhat curious as to what on earth he could ask, and what bozo would possibly take that job given the current House GOP.

Steve Castor.  

Bio blurb from FoxNews: 

A 14-year veteran of the House Oversight Committee, Castor was involved in questioning witnesses during the Benghazi investigation and the IRS targeting scandal. He also asked questions during the closed-door sessions at the beginning of the impeachment inquiry.

Castor earned his law degree from George Washington University and was a litigation attorney in Washington, D.C. and Philadelphia before getting into government work, according to a bio on the website of the Federalist Society, where he is listed as a contributor.

12 minutes ago, Tuco said:

Steve Castor.  

Bio blurb from FoxNews: 

Hack.  Not a trial lawyer.  Whatever skills he may have acquired vanished while House counsel.

The skill of questioning witnesses is not learned or taught except by experience and practice.  Some seem innately skiled at it, but those don't become lawyers for committees of the House of Representatives.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Hack.  Not a trial lawyer.  Whatever skills he may have acquired vanished while House counsel.

The skill of questioning witnesses is not learned or taught except by experience and practice.  Some seem innately skiled at it, but those don't become lawyers for committees of the House of Representatives.

If this was a court of law, I'd agree it's a mismatch.  But the guy obviously has experience in trying to whittle out a soundbite.  How good he is at it, I don't know.