Iran's nuclear program

Mojo Hand

Iran has now surpassed the enriched uranium limits with which they had been abiding under Obama's nuclear deal.  Many of you vocally opposed the deal and wanted us out, and Trump has given you what you wanted.   What's your plan now?  

39 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

Iran has now surpassed the enriched uranium limits with which they had been abiding under Obama's nuclear deal.  Many of you vocally opposed the deal and wanted us out, and Trump has given you what you wanted.   What's your plan now?  

Image result for shocked pikachu gif

They got their money back and now don't have to abide by the rules of the agreement. If I were them I'd accelerate my nuclear program as quickly as possible. Trump is the worst deal maker in the world. Stand up to him and he'll invite you to the White House. 

9 minutes ago, immamac said:

wait, was that a clause in only our version of the nuclear deal? I thought all these other countries were still part of it? 

Multilateral deals, how do they work?   

And aside from our breach denying Iran a huge part of what they bargained for in the deal, we are also forcing the EU to breach or face US sanctions.  

But why oh why isn't Iran abiding by the deal while losing most of what they were supposed to get in exchange!?! 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, immamac said:

wait, was that a clause in only our version of the nuclear deal? I thought all these other countries were still part of it? 

Trump isn't aware that there were other signatories to the deal. "Obama bad!" That's the extent of his thought process. 

Edited by WhatTheBuck
  • Like 1

I learned late about Trump's "improvised" meeting with Kim over the weekend. I cruised the news channels for information. I paused on FOX because they were talking about it. They had a guy from some institute in to comment. The host quoted Beto to the effect that our country is not safer.

The expert proceeded to say, "That's a lie. A few years ago we were on the brink of nuclear war." Interesting juxtaposition of statements.

How many new countries will have nukes when Trump leaves office? N. Korea improved and Iran created? 

Important meetings. Meetings with autocrats that Obama was begging for. Iraq was the worst deal ever. Now we're respected. People walk up and tell me things.

I'm very tired of being fed vomit while this malicious moron undoes my country.

The Iran progression is one of the looniest foreign policy shows I've ever seen.

15 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Trump isn't aware that there were other signatories to the deal. "Obama bad!" That's the extent of his thought process. 

This is really one of his only guiding principles. The other big one being how can I stir some shit up today and watch people freak out.

Edited by retread

24 minutes ago, retread said:

This is really one of his only guiding principles. The other big one being how can I stir some shit up today and watch people freak out.

His?  It's the entirety of GOP policy, taxes not withstanding, they've always been cut and kill.  

This Iran thing is just a small part of making the liberal democracies of the world more isolated, less safe, and more unstable.  It's been the plan all along, and it has taken an entire party of greedy fools led by a wanna be autocrat a couple of years to do it.  The speed in which all of this is happening is mind blowing, but the chaos has just begun.  

You know why they call it a train wreck? It isn't because of the initial crash.  It's due to the continued devastation from the inertia of thousands of pounds of weight that were once on a a well laid track slamming into everything around it.  Elections have consequences and we have forgotten very quickly that so does actual foreign policy, diplomacy, and statecraft.  We're right fucked for years.  

Edited by Dertyberd

22 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Although I didn’t like the original deal, once it was done Trump should have kept it in place and tried to make it work.  Instead he just made a big show about withdrawing after Iran had already received the benefits and with no real benefit for us to withdraw.  It was really dumb on his part

Having said that, I would be shocked if Iran wasn’t violating the deal while it was still in place.  They actually publicly violated the ballistic missile restrictions shortly after the deal was made, and there’s no way we could adequately monitor everything they’re really doing.  

Stirring up the hornet’s nest like Trump has done make things more dangerous, but I don’t think he’s been the difference between Iran continuing it’s nuclear program or not.  If we actually had a stable statesmen as Commander in Chief it wouldn’t be such a big deal, but the problem is we have the world’s biggest fake tough guy doing his damnedest to trigger a conflict.

Well, the ballistic missile restrictions weren't part of the deal, and violating external demands isn't the same thing as violating an agreement.   I mean, I can't argue with someone's gut about what Iran is really doing, even while the Trump administration affirmed their compliance, but the party that unquestionably broke the deal was the United States. 

• Like 2

I'm a little shocked Iran hasn't already adopted the North Korean playbook. Pen a love note to Trump saying how great he is, invite him over to step on their soil all the while doing absolutely nothing different but still getting praise for coming to the peace table. Really, if they just told Trump how great he was, he'd open up sanctions and probably start buying oil directly from them.

2 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Although I didn’t like the original deal, once it was done Trump should have kept it in place and tried to make it work.  Instead he just made a big show about withdrawing after Iran had already received the benefits and with no real benefit for us to withdraw.  It was really dumb on his part

Having said that, I would be shocked if Iran wasn’t violating the deal while it was still in place.  They actually publicly violated the ballistic missile restrictions shortly after the deal was made, and there’s no way we could adequately monitor everything they’re really doing.  

Stirring up the hornet’s nest like Trump has done make things more dangerous, but I don’t think he’s been the difference between Iran continuing it’s nuclear program or not.  If we actually had a stable statesmen as Commander in Chief it wouldn’t be such a big deal, but the problem is we have the world’s biggest fake tough guy doing his damnedest to trigger a conflict.

There was no need for a deal in the first place because Iran never had a nuclear weapons program.  The US shouldn't dictate the energy policy of sovereign nations half the fucking world away.  

35 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

There was no need for a deal in the first place because Iran never had a nuclear weapons program.  The US shouldn't dictate the energy policy of sovereign nations half the fucking world away.  

There's a lot of shouldn'ts that go out the window when your empire spans the globe.

5 hours ago, Fozzz said:

Never? Okay. 

• 1 year later...

Weren't there reports circulating that Pompeo met with Netanyahu and bin Salman to discuss Iran supposedly on his visit this past week?

Could it have been a joint agreement?

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo met Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman on Sunday in the kingdom's mega-city, Neom, to discuss Iran, as the Trump administration enters its final weeks.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu joined the meeting, a supposedly secret mission that was quickly leaked to the press.

Pompeo and the Saudi leader talked about “the need for Gulf unity to counter Iran’s aggressive behavior in the region,” according to a State Department readout, which did not mention Netanyahu. From AL Monitor

Weren't there reports circulating that Pompeo met with Netanyahu and bin Salman to discuss Iran supposedly on his visit this past week?
Could it have been a joint agreement?

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo met Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman on Sunday in the kingdom's mega-city, Neom, to discuss Iran, as the Trump administration enters its final weeks.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu joined the meeting, a supposedly secret mission that was quickly leaked to the press.
Pompeo and the Saudi leader talked about “the need for Gulf unity to counter Iran’s aggressive behavior in the region,” according to a State Department readout, which did not mention Netanyahu. From AL Monitor

Yes, and it wasn't kept secret. Call me naive, but this is all seems good, no? Israel is making friends with a buncha other counties? Kinda sucked for that Iranian guy who got whacked, but still.

https://www.jpost.com/middle-east/rosenberg-to-post-netanyahu-trip-to-saudi-arabia-sent-signal-to-region-650375

4236cfc77e2e48d76b948c6919d79eda.jpg

Yes, and it wasn't kept secret. Call me naive, but this is all seems good, no? Israel is making friends with a buncha other counties? Kinda sucked for that Iranian guy who got whacked, but still.

https://www.jpost.com/middle-east/rosenberg-to-post-netanyahu-trip-to-saudi-arabia-sent-signal-to-region-650375

4236cfc77e2e48d76b948c6919d79eda.jpg

This situation and your view point is a great example of how the Trump administration’s actions continually get praised when the reality is failure.

The administration often tries to address real issues that need solving, that have been handled ineffectively in the past: China trade and IP stealing, North Korea, and now the Iran nuclear situation. People praise them for trying something, but don’t realize the actual approach being pursued is stupid and destined to fail.

Is it good that Saudi Arabia and Israel have relations? Sure. But when it’s used to perform a public assassination with the tacit approval of the US, that’s bad. Very bad. Coming on the heels of the assassination of Iran’s general, this will have serious security and safety ramifications for the US going forward.
  • Hook 'Em 2

It did seem rather provocative to me but I don't follow the area very closely compared to some of you all. If I was looking to make a superficial display of peace, while making money selling arms, and then having people killed, I would think instability and a mood of revenge would be an outcome. Perhaps even a radical or radicalizing outcome. It is true that there are those with power that only respect a flexing of strength and sincere threats, but those threats are often followed by a willingness and ability to follow through. The thought that certain actions were taken to create uncertainty in a region prior to an American regime change is  playing cavalier with lives domestic and abroad. But what do I know?

I did think the pursuit of the IP stealing was worthwhile. China is very patient and very good at the long game and are a consistent threat.

• 4 months later...

Iran nuclear: 'Terrorist act' at underground Natanz facility

A nuclear facility in Iran was hit by a "terrorist act" a day after it unveiled new advanced uranium centrifuges, a top nuclear official says.

He did not say who was to blame but urged the international community to deal with nuclear terrorism.

Israeli media suggest the incident was a result of an Israeli cyber attack.

Last year, a fire broke out at the Natanz underground facility, which the authorities alleged was the result of cyber sabotage.

The latest incident comes as diplomatic efforts to revive a 2015 nuclear deal - abandoned by the US under the Trump administration in 2018 - have resumed.

On Saturday, Iran's President Hassan Rouhani inaugurated new centrifuges at the Natanz site, which is key to the country's uranium enrichment programme, in a ceremony broadcast live on television.

17036014.jpg

Edited by RPM