The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

Guitar Center results:  love everything about it except the pickups, which I actually liked a lot but then I tried a Gibson with p90s and loved those more.  The stock "V mod" single coils kind of sound halfway between p90s and a strat, or maybe like p90s with the tone knobs rolled back. Nice touch sensitivity and clarity, good brightness without too much treble, but also a little on the lifeless side compared to the p90s. 

Conclusion:  Buy now, replace pickups with p90s later

• Like 1

Well, I finally joined the cult, not looking forward to the hazing. I bought my first ever guitar yesterday. I learned to play a couple of licks, back 30 years ago, on a friends rig. I got basically en entry setup, Squier Affinity Fender Stratocaster with 15W Fender amp. Now for tons and tons of practice to sound like a dying cat(an improvement over the first few hours of trying to learn one simple chord last night). It came with a month of free online lessons from Fender. I will use that but any good ideas for some free lessons? I know there are metric  fucktons of videos on Youtube but I have no idea who is good at teaching an old dog like me, new tricks.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, bamachine said:

Well, I finally joined the cult, not looking forward to the hazing. I bought my first ever guitar yesterday. I learned to play a couple of licks, back 30 years ago, on a friends rig. I got basically en entry setup, Squier Affinity Fender Stratocaster with 15W Fender amp. Now for tons and tons of practice to sound like a dying cat(an improvement over the first few hours of trying to learn one simple chord last night). It came with a month of free online lessons from Fender. I will use that but any good ideas for some free lessons? I know there are metric  fucktons of videos on Youtube but I have no idea who is good at teaching an old dog like me, new tricks.

What bands do you like? 

Just now, Mojo Hand said:

What bands do you like? 

AC/DC, Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Pink Floyd(all of those, prefer the 70's versions), Metallica, Def Leppard, GNR, Tesla(my favorites from the 80's), STP, Nirvana(except Smells Like Teen Spirit) from the 90's, Foo Fighters from the aughts and teens. Then a few other groups like Drivin' N Cryin', Violent Femmes, Depeche Mode. Old country, by old I mean Hank Williams, Sr, Waylon, Willie, Cash. Currently, although I do not consider either really country, Isbell and Stapleton.

If I had to pick only one, Zeppelin but I doubt I ever reach the level of playing remotely close to Page. AC/DC seems a little easier to attain at least a semblance of similarity and they would be my second choice.

FWIW, I am not doing this to ever perform for others. I am now disabled, due to a blood clot I got in my leg(which blew out all the valves in my leg veins), where I have to put my feet up several times a day. I am just looking for something to keep me from going crazy and this seemed like something I could do while sitting, other than spending way too much time on here or other websites. 

17 minutes ago, bamachine said:

AC/DC, Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Pink Floyd(all of those, prefer the 70's versions), Metallica, Def Leppard, GNR, Tesla(my favorites from the 80's), STP, Nirvana(except Smells Like Teen Spirit) from the 90's, Foo Fighters from the aughts and teens. Then a few other groups like Drivin' N Cryin', Violent Femmes, Depeche Mode. Old country, by old I mean Hank Williams, Sr, Waylon, Willie, Cash. Currently, although I do not consider either really country, Isbell and Stapleton.

If I had to pick only one, Zeppelin but I doubt I ever reach the level of playing remotely close to Page. AC/DC seems a little easier to attain at least a semblance of similarity and they would be my second choice.

Finally someone else here who likes Violent Femmes!   So, you're in luck - the music you like is a perfect starter kit for learning guitar.  Others here will have great recommendations for youtube lessons, and you should absolutely try them out.

My personal advice, though, is to learn how to play songs by the artists on your list.  In particular, starting with old country and AC/DC, which use a lot of open chords.  You can learn the open chords from YouTube or just search Google to see it written out, but you first need to learn open A, C, D, E, and G.  Everything really follows from that.  For example, the verses to Back in Black are just open E, D, and A.  Ring of Fire is pretty much open G, C, and D.   (Note that artists sometimes play live in a slightly different key, so versions you find on YouTube might not line up with they exactly).  In fact, lot of the great songs by the bands you like (and in general) are just 3 open chords in various configurations. 

• Like 1

Damn, Bama, really sorry to hear about your health condition. However, welcome to the club.

Mojo gave some great advice. I’ll go one further and say whatever you do, don’t overthink it. It can get frustrating trying to do too much too soon. Learn the fretboard, the chord shapes he mentioned and the position of power chords. Then move to simple scales and scale shapes. Pretty soon simpler songs will start to sound familiar, then look familiar and finally *feel* familiar.

57 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Alright I googled and I learned something. My ignorance of single coils continues.

On the subject of P90s and gold tops, my neighborhood shop has this for sale:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BtO--yXH-T9/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1jblfrr5rytl

That is worth like 10x the amount of my car.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

Alright I googled and I learned something. My ignorance of single coils continues.

On the subject of P90s and gold tops, my neighborhood shop has this for sale:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BtO--yXH-T9/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1jblfrr5rytl

Played one of those at GC the day I purchased the R6.... tagged >24K. 

With all due respect to Mr Gilmore, I couldnt disagree more.

I get where he's coming from because the Fenders are more articulate, so if you a finesse player like him it really comes through, and I love my Fenders - especially my Telecaster.

I play aggressive and loud, and I live aggressive and loud. Not obnoxious or anything, I'm just loud by nature and cant sit still long. I love trying to play and sound like other people on my Telecaster, but when it's just me playing me I need a Gibson with a hot, overwound pair of Humbuckers, or P90s. I'm gonna replace the humbucker in a Flying fucking V cause their not loud enough for christ sake.

Ya, a Gibson with a loud ass humbucker plugged into turned up Super Reverb is what makes me sound like myself. My favorite thing now that I'm writing my own music is listening back to the band practices because they sound like me / us. I always smile and wonder if anybody else is gonna like what we're doing, but I absolutely love it.
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Mojo Hand said:

Finally someone else here who likes Violent Femmes!   So, you're in luck - the music you like is a perfect starter kit for learning guitar.  Others here will have great recommendations for youtube lessons, and you should absolutely try them out.

My personal advice, though, is to learn how to play songs by the artists on your list.  In particular, starting with old country and AC/DC, which use a lot of open chords.  You can learn the open chords from YouTube or just search Google to see it written out, but you first need to learn open A, C, D, E, and G.  Everything really follows from that.  For example, the verses to Back in Black are just open E, D, and A.  Ring of Fire is pretty much open G, C, and D.   (Note that artists sometimes play live in a slightly different key, so versions you find on YouTube might not line up with they exactly).  In fact, lot of the great songs by the bands you like (and in general) are just 3 open chords in various configurations. 

Thanks to you and the others who gave advice. I will catch up to the rest of you in about a decade.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the main difference is the type of magnets used in the pickups. A Jazzmaster pickup is similar in construction to a Strat pickup. The pole pieces are the magnets with wire wrapped around them.

A P90 is a single coil, but it has two bar magnets at the bottom of the pickup. The pole pieces on a P90 aren't magnets, they are screws. 

4 minutes ago, Foggy Notion said:

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the main difference is the type of magnets used in the pickups. A Jazzmaster pickup is similar in construction to a Strat pickup. The pole pieces are the magnets with wire wrapped around them.

A P90 is a single coil, but it has two bar magnets at the bottom of the pickup. The pole pieces on a P90 aren't magnets, they are screws. 

Wikipedia says that’s the gist of it. I shall have to get a new guitar in penance for my ignorance. 

25 minutes ago, Foggy Notion said:

Correct.

My re-invented pedalboard. This took a few weeks and a lot of thought. The Padaltrain Metro 24, 1Spot Isolated power supply, buffer, Big Muff, and Pitch Fork are new. Everything else from my old board. I also dumped a Vibrato and a Clean Boost from the old board. I think this will cover every sound I need, plus I have room for a noise gate if I need onecbf82ab4fe55a65d474c3cbfed3ed7dc.jpgea4b948ac1cbaffebd1e2586ebd27177.jpg

• Like 4

That tuner is worth the space. Polyphonic. It was a Stupid Deal of the Day a few years ago and its incredible.

Editing to add: it shows the state of every string at a single glance. In between songs I can step on it, strum the open strings, and immediately see if anything is off tune, and if so adjust it in a second. If you see a green line down the middle its tits.

My re-invented pedalboard. This took a few weeks and a lot of thought. The Padaltrain Metro 24, 1Spot Isolated power supply, buffer, Big Muff, and Pitch Fork are new. Everything else from my old board. I also dumped a Vibrato and a Clean Boost from the old board. I think this will cover every sound I need, plus I have room for a noise gate if I need onecbf82ab4fe55a65d474c3cbfed3ed7dc.jpgea4b948ac1cbaffebd1e2586ebd27177.jpg

I wish I had picked up that board and not the Nano.

I wish I had picked up that board and not the Nano.
Let me think about it before committing hulla, but I'd probably make you a killer deal on this mini I upgraded from. Its 20" long and was discontinued for the Metro series.

I've never been big with pedals, and when I did I always used one of those daisy chain type power supplies. I bought an isolated PS for this board and let me tell you what a difference it makes in how your pedals react with one another. Night and day.

3afe06f3d8cd492081a122ff5436bf5d.jpg
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Grandioso said:

If you could talk this dude down to $2,000.00, this would be quite the deal. This is one of those guitars where a light relic doesn't bother me one bit.

d8leawcgzxodqcbyg86e.jpg

There are only a few items that are perpetually on my Reverb "watch" list, and a Fano with P90's is one of them.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Let me think about it before committing hulla, but I'd probably make you a killer deal on this mini I upgraded from. Its 20" long and was discontinued for the Metro series.

I've never been big with pedals, and when I did I always used one of those daisy chain type power supplies. I bought an isolated PS for this board and let me tell you what a difference it makes in how your pedals react with one another. Night and day.

The Nano I have is 18".  I use an isolated PS on my big board.  Need to pick one up for the smaller one.   And the more I use that Pedaltrain 'space saving' tuner....about the length of a cigarette lighter, the more I hate it.  It lights up all night and pretty but is hard as hell to tell if the note is in tune.  

Edited by hullabelew

Backstory.  When I was a kid I wanted to play guitar.  Badly.

Parents intervened and said learn to play piano and then you can learn guitar.  So, I did and I was decent but the guitar learning never came.  Now, so many years later I want to realize the dream.  My question is, is this to ambitious to start with American Acoustisonic Telecaster?  I want something that I can start with and that will take me where I want to go.  I know it's an expensive beginning but it's something I've wanted to do for a long, long time.

Thanks for any and all input.

6 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

Backstory.  When I was a kid I wanted to play guitar.  Badly.

Parents intervened and said learn to play piano and then you can learn guitar.  So, I did and I was decent but the guitar learning never came.  Now, so many years later I want to realize the dream.  My question is, is this to ambitious to start with American Acoustisonic Telecaster?  I want something that I can start with and that will take me where I want to go.  I know it's an expensive beginning but it's something I've wanted to do for a long, long time.

Thanks for any and all input.

Honestly I’d say buy a decent acoustic.IMO