The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

Also, searching through my photos, I found a couple of pictures I took way back when the original Guitar Pron thread was new, comparing my MiM strat (now my fiancee's brother's strat) with my American Standard strat.  Both to show some small differences in the actual tremolo blocks, and to show how the AS had been screwed a bit deeper in to the body to hold it flat.  It stays in tune very well.

stratstrem1.jpg

stratstrem2.jpg

I guess when people block the trem, they typically do something like this?

Block_Bridge.jpg

In most cases I think blocking is unnecessary. Just install five springs, and maybe tighten up the claw a little if you still need it. If you still have tuning problems I would try eliminating other possibilities, the nut, shitty tuners, a rough spot on saddles, before blocking the bridge.

The bridges on my Strats usually don't budge since I don't whammy. I keep them tight and flat against the guitar, and usually only three springs. Tuning issues are likely to be elsewhere unless every string is going out of tune at the same time.

In most cases I think blocking is unnecessary. Just install five springs, and maybe tighten up the claw a little if you still need it. If you still have tuning problems I would try eliminating other possibilities, the nut, shitty tuners, a rough spot on saddles, before blocking the bridge.
The bridges on my Strats usually don't budge since I don't whammy. I keep them tight and flat against the guitar, and usually only three springs. Tuning issues are likely to be elsewhere unless every string is going out of tune at the same time.

This is how mine is.

1 hour ago, DougO said:

I have not had tuning issues, just intonation issues.  But I don't bend much yet, still working on it.  I probably won't block it.  They should get it set up fine.  Mostly curious about what they say about the bridge that is on it and options.  They are going to call me before they start.

Edited by TexasEd

It’s been a while since I played through an amp at home because the kids always turn every knob when I play at home, but that’s a different story.

Anyways, I played the G&L Tribute S-500 and thr Edwards LP back to back and the LP sounded... muddy. I know humbuckers aren’t as bright as single coils, but it was bad.

The Edwards LP has a Seymour Duncan 59 at the neck and SD JB at the bridge. I plugged straight into a Blues Jr., volume at 5 which gives a good crunch; with the treble dimed, bass at 0, and playing around with the mids. I had trouble getting much highs even through the bridge pick up.

It was frustrating to say the least. I’d say otherwise it sounds very much like a Les Paul should, but is missing the highs. I might have a cheap EQ pedal in my closet that I might bring out, but damn... this is not what I remember the last time I played through the amp (at church).

Any idea why it lost its higher frequencies?

Also, I feel like having something dialed in for a strat and then plugging in a les paul with the same settings doesn't do the LP any favors.  Probably the reverse is true as well.  It's also my probably heavily anecdotal and unsubstantiated take that playing solo I like single coils and neck pickups, playing with a group I like humbuckers and bridge pickups.

• Like 1

I want to upgrade my Mexico Fender SE Strat with good pots and switch. Anybody find anything wrong with a set like this that they sell on Amazon? Is there anything sketchy going on that I'm not seeing? Can I get a better price on the same stuff anywhere else?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0089NNAFW/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2H4CAJ9DMCP6D

I don't want nothin' too fancy, just good quality American-ish parts...unless i decide to coil-tap a humbucker. I already have a complete set of USA Strat pickups and a hot rail to choose from in my stash, but I haven't decide how to go with it yet.

I've been writing original music for the first time in years. It was kind of tough at first, but once the creative side of your brain wakes up its unreal. It's also helped me learn a ton on my guitars as I get a sound in my head and try to recreate it; or as you come up with something you really like then spend time trying to figure out what comes next, or try to incorporate a bridge that's more interesting than going to the IV.

Sometimes, like the other night, I wrote something on my acoustic knowing in my head it was a crunchy electric part, then get inside and turn it up on the Les Paul and find out I was right. I'm always juggling between my acoustics, electrics, and my bass trying to get the parts and transitions together. Ive got about 3 songs written fairly complete, another 3 with the guitar parts written and maybe a verse or chorus, a SD Card full of riffs and ideas, along with a tablet full of written lines and ideas - including 2 verses I really like but can't find a melody for. It's been pretty rewarding so far, hopefully it's just a beginning.

Current situation, as you know I've had to downsize quite a bit.

58619344ef5a3818c6a506b5fc2410a5.jpg

• Like 9

I just wanted to post here that Paul Wesley is a fucking rock star. Here’s an abridged version of the email I sent him:

“Finally unboxed it. Wow. It looks and plays like it came straight from Sweetwater. Just gorgeous and silky with fresh 9’s on it. Haven’t plugged it in yet but I’ve no doubt it’s got some versatility and crunch. I can’t begin to tell you how pleased I am.... ”

Holy shit, guys. I LOVE this Epi gold top. Yeah, TTIWWP. I’ll get some pr0n up by this evening.

Rock on, Surly. Rock on, Paul.

• Like 5

Still looking for DIY pickguard ideas, I ran across this floor tiling at Lowe's that really caught my eye. It can be cut in rough shapes with scissors, fine detail can be tough. It's sticky-back so maybe just slap it over some foil or thin plastic, or something that won't chew up the finish underneath. Gonna experiment with it, anyway.

vinylpg

vinylpg2

• Like 1

I've been writing original music for the first time in years. It was kind of tough at first, but once the creative side of your brain wakes up its unreal. It's also helped me learn a ton on my guitars as I get a sound in my head and try to recreate it; or as you come up with something you really like then spend time trying to figure out what comes next, or try to incorporate a bridge that's more interesting than going to the IV.

Sometimes, like the other night, I wrote something on my acoustic knowing in my head it was a crunchy electric part, then get inside and turn it up on the Les Paul and find out I was right. I'm always juggling between my acoustics, electrics, and my bass trying to get the parts and transitions together. Ive got about 3 songs written fairly complete, another 3 with the guitar parts written and maybe a verse or chorus, a SD Card full of riffs and ideas, along with a tablet full of written lines and ideas - including 2 verses I really like but can't find a melody for. It's been pretty rewarding so far, hopefully it's just a beginning.

Current situation, as you know I've had to downsize quite a bit.

58619344ef5a3818c6a506b5fc2410a5.jpg
What is right behind the LP?

That killer Rock and Roll machine Explorer I just picked up.

I had the Tele in place of the LP for awhile because at 1st I was writing stuff where I heard a pop-y sounding sparkly single coils over bass and drums, then I realized that there's a reason they call me Shawn Rocker, so I put the toys away and brought out the hammers. I think I'm gonna put the P90 LP Jr away in favor of the SG or 335 too. We're gonna make noise. Loud noise. I have a 100 watt Peavey Head and I'm thinking about a JCM 800.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, the idoit said:

I just wanted to post here that Paul Wesley is a fucking rock star. Here’s an abridged version of the email I sent him:

“Finally unboxed it. Wow. It looks and plays like it came straight from Sweetwater. Just gorgeous and silky with fresh 9’s on it. Haven’t plugged it in yet but I’ve no doubt it’s got some versatility and crunch. I can’t begin to tell you how pleased I am.... ”

Holy shit, guys. I LOVE this Epi gold top. Yeah, TTIWWP. I’ll get some pr0n up by this evening.

Rock on, Surly. Rock on, Paul.

Thank you, my friend.  Hope it serves you well!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

What album?

I'll let him link it, but it's fantastic.  Really well-written, well-performed, well-recorded pop.  Kind of in a David Baerwald vein.  Maybe a little Del Amitri. I probably just pissed him off.

We should have a thread where we link our own stuff.  

Better late than never?

Images as follows:

Full Front

Full back

Body Closeup

Headstock/Grovers

Coil tapping Tophat pots

Gold_Top_Full_Front.jpg

Gold_Top_Full_Back.jpg

Gold_Top_Body_Closeup.jpg

Gold_Top_Grovers.jpg

Gold_Top_Coil_Tap.jpg

Sounds amazing even through my crappy Fender Mustang II (I'll address that at a later time - soon... ). P/U's are hot as balls and the coil tap (R & L), while not quite Strat-like, is more than adequate for a quick single coil switcheroo. Really, really happy with this, folks.

Thanks again, Paul!

• Like 5

12 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'll let him link it, but it's fantastic.  Really well-written, well-performed, well-recorded pop.  Kind of in a David Baerwald vein.  Maybe a little Del Amitri. I probably just pissed him off.

We should have a thread where we link our own stuff.  

I must hear this. C'mon, Paul. Do it.

On 7/21/2018 at 6:42 PM, TexasEd said:

Just took my partscaster in for a setup at Strait.  My instructor pointed out that my nut was too high and causing intonation problems on the first few frets due to the steep angle to hit the fret leaving the string too long.  Might also get the bridge replaced.  If I do I was thinking of a Fender Standard (MIM) bridge and might get it blocked.  What do y'all think?

They called me yesterday it was done and I assume back at the north store.  Can't wait to try it out.

When they called about the setup she said I did not need a new nut just needed the one I had set properly and I did not change the bridge.

Edited by TexasEd