The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

Next time someone is in the market for a new piece of gear, try this…

Find the make/model you want on reverb, watch all the listings.  You’ll get offers from sellers at a 10-15% discount, aggressively negotiate them down as far as you can but screen shot every offer from them.  When they finally say fuck you and break off negotiations, email the screen shot of your best offer to your Sweetwater rep and ask if they can beat the offer.  They will match it and might beat it by up to 5%.  Then buy it from Sweetwater for the best customer service and return policy available at the lowest possible price.

IMG_3634.thumb.jpeg.dde9dd9e035973645b4f7035d1930bc6.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, G650 said:

Yes indeed.

googling a little bit around that it seems like people are maybe still saying it's a no on bluetooth headphones. Do you have any experience otherwise? It looks like mostly it's stuff around latency with bluetooth that makes it not workable, which sounds reasonable. At that point (it's not something that I can make work with my airpod max's) i'm back to thinking maybe I just need some decent wired headphones and.... surely my katana has a headset out

7 minutes ago, topochico said:

I’m linking probably the most expensive option, but this setup should have minimal latency and is fully wireless. You can definitely find a better price. The Yamaha amp sounds great FWIW. I picked up the amp alone for $385 and it was compatible with my old Line 6. 

i can haz ctrl+v?

55 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

googling a little bit around that it seems like people are maybe still saying it's a no on bluetooth headphones. Do you have any experience otherwise? It looks like mostly it's stuff around latency with bluetooth that makes it not workable, which sounds reasonable. At that point (it's not something that I can make work with my airpod max's) i'm back to thinking maybe I just need some decent wired headphones and.... surely my katana has a headset out

I might be misunderstanding what you are asking, where is your phone in this equation? Are you just meaning headphones straight to the Spark over Bluetooth?

Bluetooth has big latency issues for IEM, which is why no one really uses is for live work.

44 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

i can haz ctrl+v?

Sorry. I am using this amp and my old line 6 plus AirPod pro's. Not really experiencing any real latency that I notice. Yamaha's headphones are supposed to be almost as fast as a wired set. 
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/THR30WLG10HPBn--yamaha-thr30-ii-30-watt-modeling-combo-full-wireless-bundle-cream

1 hour ago, G650 said:

I might be misunderstanding what you are asking, where is your phone in this equation? Are you just meaning headphones straight to the Spark over Bluetooth?

Bluetooth has big latency issues for IEM, which is why no one really uses is for live work.

Really the thing I'd love to accomplish is Guitar-> [something that lets me make different tones like a modeler or amplifier or whatever] -> the airpod max bluetooth headhphones that I wear a large percentage of the time when I'm in my office.

The box in the middle could be phone related, it could be that I can pair the headphones with a modeller or an amp or whatever directly. I'm thinking maybe I'm introducing a difficult to solve variable by making the airpod max headphones a requirement and should instead solve the problem of "wail in my office quietly" and then solve the other problem of "have yet another fucking pair of headphones hanging off my desk" alongside the airpods and the jabra.

35 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Really the thing I'd love to accomplish is Guitar-> [something that lets me make different tones like a modeler or amplifier or whatever] -> the airpod max bluetooth headhphones that I wear a large percentage of the time when I'm in my office.

The box in the middle could be phone related, it could be that I can pair the headphones with a modeller or an amp or whatever directly. I'm thinking maybe I'm introducing a difficult to solve variable by making the airpod max headphones a requirement and should instead solve the problem of "wail in my office quietly" and then solve the other problem of "have yet another fucking pair of headphones hanging off my desk" alongside the airpods and the jabra.

Ah, right on. So the other direction than I mistakenly assumed. Yeah, I think just another pair of headphones. I have several pairs of good old Sony 7506s that work pretty well.

14 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

I’ve tried the Bluetooth headphone thing. Never could make it work due to latency.

Do we know for sure if something does this now?

Shure, Boss etc make wireless, but they aren't bluetooth based. The bluetooth protocol is inherently laggy

so maybe actually the underlying thing I'm solving is "give my wife an idea of a thing to buy me for christmas", and there was a second where I thought hey maybe that spark thing is something I want. That's probably in the ballpark of the amount of my money that she's interested in spending on me. Should I get that if I've got a katana sitting right here? Although actually I've had a really hard time getting the katana software to work on my macbook.

Question:  I'm watching the Jason Isbell + 400U show taped in September at Austin City Limits Live.  At one point he goes to a Strat, and his tone is terrific, but it's pretty clear he's either on the neck pickup or maybe the neck/mid position at times.

If I played my Strat like that through my normal amp settings it would be total mud.  Does he roll off the low end, either at the amp or before?  I can't imagine getting much clarity there.  Anybody play that pickup?  What's the secret?  He gets a really nice Strat tone, and when he kicks in some distortion, it's real close to David Gilmour.  @BrickHorn LOL

image.png.07f48de2446a22836a3682f32dbf4d74.png

24 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Question:  I'm watching the Jason Isbell + 400U show taped in September at Austin City Limits Live.  At one point he goes to a Strat, and his tone is terrific, but it's pretty clear he's either on the neck pickup or maybe the neck/mid position at times.

If I played my Strat like that through my normal amp settings it would be total mud.  Does he roll off the low end, either at the amp or before?  I can't imagine getting much clarity there.  Anybody play that pickup?  What's the secret?  He gets a really nice Strat tone, and when he kicks in some distortion, it's real close to David Gilmour.  @BrickHorn LOL

Jason is pretty good about responding to gear questions on twitter.  Maybe give that a try?  The guy's a fucking gear geek, and he really seems to enjoy discussing setups. 

• Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Which song?

1 hour ago, sidis said:

Which song?

Went back and re-watched, and damned if he didn't switch Strats between the first song and the next.  Both were tobacco bursts, but the first one had a maple neck, the second one was rosewood.  Anyway:

1st one was "Middle Of The Morning".  Very clean, bell-tone Strat sound.  Not all that far off the Allman Bros.

2nd one was "Overseas".  Much more of a high-gain sound, but I think it was still the neck pickup.

I've been playing my parts-strat-caster a lot lately because the jack on my G&L Tele is fucked up and I haven't fixed it yet.  I haven't even thought about trying to dial in a tone on the neck pickup, I like what I get off the bridge.  Maybe I'm just deaf.

In the pic above, it looks like his tone knobs are rolled back a little compared to the volume knob. I’m watching this video Isbell did with Gibson and he talks about his ‘58 Strat which I believe is the video in the pic. The Strat with the rosewood neck is a ‘60 IIRC.

In the video he talks about how he replaced the stock (at the time) 3-position switch on the ‘58 with a 5-position switch so he could use the fourth position. Can’t say with certainty that’s what you were hearing, but he’s a fan of using the neck and middle pickups together on a maple fretboard Strat. He then mentions that he likes using the neck pickup on Strats with slab rosewood fretboards like the ‘60.

You can skip to the 55 minute mark to hear him talk about the ‘58 Strat, but you’ll want to watch the entire video. 

Edited by Foggy Notion
added info
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

So I went and watch a few minutes to hear what he was playing. Sounds pretty much like classic Strat neck just at first listening. For me, the main point of a Strat is the neck pickup, that's where the sound is. You wouldn't have had Hendrix without it.

It is interesting you mention Gilmour though, he was fairly unique in he used a lot of bridge pickup for leads.

One thing I think that's worth pointing put is Isbells chord voicings. Like Hendrix, you can see its a lot of inversions and small strings, not full barres.

My song in last months group submission was a Strat neck pickup lead fwiw.

13 hours ago, Celery Man said:

I've had a really hard time getting the katana software to work on my macbook.

Same problem with my laptop. Apparently if you screw up one step in the sequence initially, you've borked it from ever working correctly. I just ended up selling the amp. 

I'm just running tubes with everything now. So many bells and whistles on these all in one things that aren't intuitive and never sound as good as promised. I'd probably go with one of the Tonemaster series. I just want a straightforward solid state amp that controls like a  regular old amp. 

12 minutes ago, Deej said:

Same problem with my laptop. Apparently if you screw up one step in the sequence initially, you've borked it from ever working correctly. I just ended up selling the amp. 

I'm just running tubes with everything now. So many bells and whistles on these all in one things that aren't intuitive and never sound as good as promised. I'd probably go with one of the Tonemaster series. I just want a straightforward solid state amp that controls like a  regular old amp. 

PeaveyBandit112.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Deej said:

this is what it feels like with me. a lifetime of experience has made me fairly competent at fucking around in windows and fixing stupid problems like this but I'm not used to this kind of problem on my macbook and i haven't gotten the software up in a few years. Admittedly a few years of not trying very hard.

re:peavey I remember in 7th grade we had a jazz band and the school had one of these -

pvyrg8yvm9n9p4digdb5.jpg

fucking $900, that's wild

https://reverb.com/p/peavey-t-40-bass-guitar?gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiApOyqBhDlARIsAGfnyMp8y0KaOLk36UhhENT03xs-FHl8lBLldUa_D1NREAwYSjRotk7sLPYaAhE5EALw_wcB&hfid=65244957&utm_campaign=18040569733&utm_content=campaignid%3D18040569733_adgroupid%3D143121795794_productpartitionid%3D1720203842862%3Dmerchantid%3D695182563_productid%3D65244957_keyword%3D_device%3Dc_adposition%3D_matchtype%3D_creative%3D616435425577&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google

• Like 1

this is what it feels like with me. a lifetime of experience has made me fairly competent at fucking around in windows and fixing stupid problems like this but I'm not used to this kind of problem on my macbook and i haven't gotten the software up in a few years. Admittedly a few years of not trying very hard.

re:peavey I remember in 7th grade we had a jazz band and the school had one of these -
pvyrg8yvm9n9p4digdb5.jpg
fucking $900, that's wild
https://reverb.com/p/peavey-t-40-bass-guitar?gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiApOyqBhDlARIsAGfnyMp8y0KaOLk36UhhENT03xs-FHl8lBLldUa_D1NREAwYSjRotk7sLPYaAhE5EALw_wcB&hfid=65244957&utm_campaign=18040569733&utm_content=campaignid%3D18040569733_adgroupid%3D143121795794_productpartitionid%3D1720203842862%3Dmerchantid%3D695182563_productid%3D65244957_keyword%3D_device%3Dc_adposition%3D_matchtype%3D_creative%3D616435425577&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google
Peavey's have gone up considerably.   I have a '78 T60 in mint condition (posted here long ago).  It looks to be worth about $900 these days.  As I've mentioned before, I don't like playing it anymore because I'm playing my Gibson a lot, and it's got a pretty thick neck, and the T60 has a very thin neck.  I intend to sell it.  A  local shop told me he'd take it on consignment as soon as he runs off some inventory. 

7e4faddc7554609b89f4ab36d39662b3.jpg

On 11/19/2023 at 1:33 PM, Goredho said:

Next time someone is in the market for a new piece of gear, try this…

Find the make/model you want on reverb, watch all the listings.  You’ll get offers from sellers at a 10-15% discount, aggressively negotiate them down as far as you can but screen shot every offer from them.  When they finally say fuck you and break off negotiations, email the screen shot of your best offer to your Sweetwater rep and ask if they can beat the offer.  They will match it and might beat it by up to 5%.  Then buy it from Sweetwater for the best customer service and return policy available at the lowest possible price.

IMG_3634.thumb.jpeg.dde9dd9e035973645b4f7035d1930bc6.jpeg

Or you can just skip all that silly Reverb negotiation stuff and just ask your Sweetwater rep what's the best price they can do.  That's what I've always done, and he's routinely given me 15-25% off guitars.

• Hook 'Em 1

$1500 doesn’t get you a rosewood board. Fuck that. Photos from people who purchased show reallly light Indian Laurel. At least pick some darker examples. 

The good news is they are using the Gibson headstock moving forward on the higher levels Epis. Gibson fan boys won’t be happy, and Epi owners can experience the joys of snapping headstocks. Also looks like this level stuff is replacing the Tributes and other lower end Gibson offerings.

On 11/19/2023 at 3:04 PM, Celery Man said:

hey smart guys, if I wanted to play electric guitar and have it come through my bluetooth headphones, is there some cool technology that makes that happen in a good way? Like, is the positivegrid spark thing something that would do that?

Can't help with bluetooth...  but you might be able to use your wireless PC headphones.  I know Steelseries Arctis 7s have a mini jack port on the back of the transmitter, you can plug from the positive grid to the transmitter and the music will be sent to the wireless headset.  I'm sure there are better options, but you might have some of the stuff you need already.

https://steelseries.com/gaming-headsets/arctis-nova-7  The newer models you can also take input from the jack & Bluetooth at the same time.  So hear what you are playing and a backing track from your phone 

Are Luna vistas good guitars? I need a guitar left handed, for my nephew who’s just started but is really like really good. Those are kinda sweet (he likes Over the top things) and seem like a good bang to the Buck. What says you guys for something 500-$600?

Edited by Bogeywon