Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

47 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Please. Both Herman and Riley are offensively-minded HCs. The defense we run is Orlando's defense, if it does poorly Herman's recourse is to warn him, fire him, or delegate his responsibilities elsewhere. Likewise, the defense blOU runs next year will be Grinch's defense. His coverage schemes, his blitz packages, etc. etc.

Herman hasn't had to do that with defense since his decision to hire Orlando was a good one. Riley has had to do that, because he inherited a crappy one. There's a vast difference between the level of control Herman exerts over the offense and that of the defense. But if you don't believe so, please tell me more about Herman or Riley's defensive coaching/philosophy.

So Riley inherited a bad DC that he had 2 full years to observe while he was the OC and still chose to keep him for a year and a half until we pushed his shit in so far he was forced to make a move. While Herman inherited a fucking 5-7 team that lost to Kansas and turned it completely around to being on the cusp of competing for championships. Your reputation around here really is earned. 

Edited by bEastTexas
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, thepop said:

Ringo still here

8 hours ago, texifornia said:

D1tZo_TX4AATNE_.jpg

7 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

He's wearing sandals on the practice field. Do not want.

I can't even imagine how little effort it would take Ringo to beat nearly every poster on this board in the 40 (hell, in the 20) while wearing those sandals.

He is so embedded into the calculator that when you hit "C" a bunch of times, the display still starts at 0.9951.

9 minutes ago, texifornia said:

He seems to like the uniform.

A lot!

Like... he could see himself wearing the uniform.

The fact that everything is reverse tells me that he had his phone on selfie mode rather than having someone else hold the phone. There might not have been someone standing around, but he was not going to miss this moment, so he recorded it himself for posterity.

#nice

1 minute ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Am I the only one who only sees four on his list of six? If he really only listed four when counting to six, then I'm guessing Stanford is out.

You’ve got to click the link, that’s why I made the “below the fold” comment. 

8 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

the lsu game is everything.  it's at home, it'll be a top 10 matchup, the city and stadium will be electric.  we win that game, and nothing else really matters.

vegas has us at 9.5 o/u for wins, which basically assumes a loss to lsu and ou.  not sure what the 3rd hardest game on our schedule is, either @wva or @tcu maybe?  

beat lsu, and we're staring down 11-1 or 10-2 (at worst) and another trip to the b12 cg and another big bowl.  we all saw what the georgia win did for perception of our program and how we're "coming back" and "heading in the right direction".  we beat lsu, and we're officially "back" in the eyes of recruits and fanbase.  ink another top 5 class in 2020, and we'll be a freight train.

Plus, It exposes yet another SEC team that rides on Bama’s coattail. Wonder what the recruits that are automatically all-in on the “SEC!!” will think once we expose 2 out of their top 3 teams in 2 consecutive seasons. Probably not much, but at least it’ll be some ammunition. 

4 hours ago, satyanash said:

E.J. Holland: Friday practice draws group of elite recruits

Reveal hidden contents

Texas hosted a monster group of visitors for today’s practice. Perhaps the biggest of them all was five-star cornerback Kelee Ringo, who has been on campus since Monday. The Saguaro (AZ) prospect has now visited Texas three times, and the fact that he chose to spend his entire Spring Break in Austin speaks volumes. Ringo has had an opportunity to hang out with the players, get to know the staff, including head coach Tom Herman, on a personal basis and really get an in-depth look at the campus, facilities and city. Texas has seen a couple of Crystal Ball picks come its way for Ringo over the last 48 hours, and the Longhorns are surging in this recruitment. Remember, Texas is the only school that has hosted Ringo on multiple occasions.

Aside from Ringo, Texas is playing host to two major targets in Duncanville duo Ja’Quinden Jackson and Chris Thompson. This is huge news considering Jackson and Thompson have not been on campus all offseason. Texas should be considered the frontrunner for both at this time. Jackson and Thompson have been spending a ton of time with assistant Ra’shaad Samples and love the coaches and program overall.

Of course, the “bash bros,” also known as elite 2021 offensive linemen Tommy Brockermeyer and James Brockermeyer, are in Austin. Tommy has the potential to be the top player in the state next cycle, and James is racking up offers left and right. Both are Texas legacies and if the Longhorns extend a scholarship to James, they should be able to lock them up fairly early.

Sticking in the 2021 class, Kendrick Blackshire, the nation's top inside linebacker for his class, also watched the Longhorns in action. Blackshire is open early on, and UT is squarely in the mix. Ringo wasn’t the only key cornerback target on campus today. John Tyler’s Kitan Crawford also made his way in to watch the Longhorns practice.

Texas offered Crawford earlier this offseason and hosted him for junior day last month. Getting him back for a return visit so soon makes us feel better about our Crystal Ball predictions. From everything we have been able to gather, the Crawford visit went extremely well. We wouldn’t be surprised if he makes an early decision, and Texas appears to be the clear team to beat. Texas offensive line commits Jake Majors and Jaylen Garth were on hand as well to help the Longhorns recruit.

Man I hope Blake takes the Brockermeyer boys to College Station and laughs at the offensive line coaching, followed by both of them coming here and wrecking shop. Because F aggy and Dumbo.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PsychMike said:

Man I hope Blake takes the Brockermeyer boys to College Station and laughs at the offensive line coaching, followed by both of them coming here and wrecking shop. Because F aggy and Dumbo.

Similar to how Bruce Matthews brought his kids to Austin and laughed at Mack's thud tempo philosophy.

7 minutes ago, RockyKnowsBest said:

I posted lots of pics but the best story of the day might be Herman telling the story of offering Coach Hand the Texas job. Herman asked Hand why he would leave a great Auburn job for Texas, and Hand said, I have a great job, but it’s not Texas. Then Coach Hand detailed Inside/Outside power, the short/intermediate/deep passing games, screens. His personality is electric & engaging & terrifying & hilarious & scary & amazing. 

Give that man his money!

16 hours ago, Machinator said:

IT 

Hide contents

RECRUITING PRE-SPRING BREAK

The Texas coaches will host a handful of prospects on Friday before the players and staff go on Spring Break. The list is not long, but it is distinguished. 

Kelee Ringo, CB - Saguaro (AZ) (2020): For the third time, one of the nation's top corners found himself on the 40 Acres. This time, for five days. The more you learn about the five-star from Arizona, the more you like. He's the type of kid that goes in the first round of the NFL Draft if he stays the course. I haven't seen a high school defensive back this ready for the college game since Jamal Adams. On this prolonged visit he's immersed himself in the program and what it's like to be a student athlete at Texas. He's going to practices and meetings (when they aren't too early) and being just one of the guys. He's well liked and already one of the guys. 

Kitan Crawford, CB - John Tyler (TX) (2020): Of the top UT cornerback targets, Crawford is the least known but maybe the most intriguing with strength at the POA and elite change of direction. He plays on both sides of the ball for Cujo, but his future is on the island. This is the second time Crawford will have seen the Horns in little over a month. Okie State, Colorado, and Tennessee recently offered, and Arkansas is pushing, but I'd put Texas at the top of his list right now. "I told (UT) at Junior Day I would return when spring practice began. It's incredible." He's a man of his word. Crawford doesn't have a timeline to announce, which means he'll be on watch this weekend just in case. His standing on the big board is high enough for us to be paying attention.

Chris Thompson, DB - Duncanville (TX) (2020): It had been a while since the box safety visited Texas. He took in practice today with his head coach, Reginald Samples. We still feel good about Thompson, though he's taking a diligent, national approach. At this point he's in the top group of safeties the staff is pursuing. We're still thinking a summer announcement is most likely.

Kennedy Lewis, WR - Melissa (TX) (2019 Texas signee): The three-star member of the #fUTure19 signing class was so eager to see UT's practice, he attended on Wednesday and will return on Friday. Lewis told me "just focusing on finishing school strong," running the 100 and 200 in T&F, "but the weather has made it difficult early in the season." Checking out his major; Business. "I'll see the business school during the trip with my mom and sister. I want to learn more about it." The 6-foot-3 wideout told me UT coaches like him at, "Z, behind Duvernay." 

Jaylen Garth, OL - Port Neches-Groves (TX) (2020 Texas commit): The four-star verbal pledge to #cloUT2020 is making a return visit to catch spring practice and see his bud, Roschon Johnson, in action. "Me and my coach will be in town (Thursday) and see Roschon. We'll be there Friday for practice." 

Xavian Alford, S - Alvin Shadow Creek (TX) (2020): If you thought Ringo liked Austin, Alford might take up residence. This will be his third trip in five weeks. There's a mutual connection here with the four-star DB and the UT staff. LSU is still lingering, but this continues to trend Texas. We hear Alford's mom is quite the fan of Texas. He's just returning from a West Coast swing in which he saw USC and Oregon.

Tommy Brockermeyer, OT - Fort Worth All Saints (TX) (2021): After making a visit to Big 10 country to see the Hawkeyes with his twin brother, James, Team Brockermeyer is making a return trip to the land of Longhorns and Legacies. You know the story, best prospect in-state for 2021, and probably Top 5 prospect in the nation for his class. This trip may be as much for James than anything else. The Brockermeyers got in last night to spend some time with walk-on Luke Brockermeyer, who will get some real snaps this spring at linebacker.

James Brockermeyer, OL - Fort Worth All Saints (TX) (2021): Texas has made it clear they covet both offensive linemen, but only Tommy holds an offer. Maybe that changes on this visit. And if it does, I think Texas may have separated from the pack just a little more in the process. It would be a safe bet those two end up in burnt orange like their brother, and father, and grandfather.

Want both Brockermeyers. Can't teach bloodlines.

7 hours ago, RockyKnowsBest said:

I am now... Hook’em!

Welcome to Surly, and thanks for your contributions in allowing aggy to be aggy.  I’m not sure how much you have lurked around here, but there are several things that you should be aware of.  

First off, you already met aggy.  Enjoy the rollercoaster.  I hope erections, different levels of erections, eating bags of dicks, or just any kind of penis joke doesn’t offend.  Speaking of which, South Austin’s mom is well known around these parts.  Tbh, everyone’s mom is kind of a target.  Just go with it.  Speaking of moms, some of us have little whiny bitchfests.  Will you please cyberspank that ass, for us?  Gifs are a form of communication and can be quite useful.  Speaking of gifs, I hope you like Kate Beckinsale.  Have fun and welcome to Surly.

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 14