Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

8 hours ago, Machinator said:

Seems like Ringo is the prize, Kimber is the best of the rest, and then it's a logjam between Crawford/Watts/Eaton/Rogers. I think Crawford likes Texas but the other three of those all seem to be leans elsewhere at this time.

Ringo, Kimber, and Crawford would be fucking great 

Crawford is really athletic and will probably be over 6'0. He's raw technically, but can afford to be if he's sitting behind Green, Kenyatta, Ringo, Jamison, and Kimber. I think landing Ringo would make it tougher to land Kimber though, and we might be running second there behind Bama anyway

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Machinator said:

I don't think so. I was listening to the IT guys' podcast and they think he likes A&M. Wells was saying Texas might have backed off, but gave no reason.

7 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Damn, really? Last I saw, everyone was saying he was really high on Texas? Oh well, I struggle to get too worked up over any of these same-tier Texas CBs.

My understanding in regards to Eaton is it's nothing off the field. It's more about him not being a consistently great football player, for various reasons. 

Everything he's said has been about committing late, so we can always keep evaluating him. 

8 hours ago, Machinator said:

Seems like Ringo is the prize, Kimber is the best of the rest, and then it's a logjam between Crawford/Watts/Eaton/Rogers. I think Crawford likes Texas but the other three of those all seem to be leans elsewhere at this time.

Ringo, Thompson, McGlothern, Washington and Kimber would be a great DB class

Thompson, McGlothern, and Washington are all rated higher than Kimber, Crawford, Watts, Eaton and Rogers. 

Having followed recruiting for a long time, it’s becoming clear that some programs have better visibility of who the best 3 and 4 star players really are, and which 3 and 4 star players are higher risk or over-rated. Texas and OU these days seem to be well aware. A&M I’m still not quite sure.

Regardless, the recruiting is so tight between OU, Texas and A&M that it is really going to come down to the coaching to determine which program rises to the top. Each of the three programs is getting a decent share of good players. I like Texas’ position. Herman has demonstrated better coaching than Fisher or Riley, although Riley’s offense is really good. I see a slow consistent rise of Texas ahead of OU over the next few years, with A&M getting better but never surpassing 3-4 teams in the SEC.

2 minutes ago, Speedway said:

Ringo, Thompson, McGlothern, Washington and Kimber would be a great DB class

Thompson, McGlothern, and Washington are all rated higher than Kimber, Crawford, Watts, Eaton and Rogers. 

It's March, the ratings don't mean a lot at this point, but sure that class would be great

I'm fairly certain every team in the country likes Kimber more than McGlothern 

The one I'm curious about is Xavion Alford, dude is visiting a ton already, but potentially adding him makes me wonder if we might take six?

36 minutes ago, Fud said:

It's March, the ratings don't mean a lot at this point, but sure that class would be great

I'm fairly certain every team in the country likes Kimber more than McGlothern 

The one I'm curious about is Xavion Alford, dude is visiting a ton already, but potentially adding him makes me wonder if we might take six?

We could have a few DBs from the great class of '18 turn pro after their third year (almost certainly Sterns) , so we need to be reloading.

Crawford has the speed Herman talked about wanting to get after the OU game this past season.  He's on that relay team that just posted the fastest time in the nation.  He may also have the most upside of the Eaton/Watts/ect. group.  If he's the 3rd Corner take then it's a great one.  Sounds like he may be starting to blow up.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Focht Up said:

We could have a few DBs from the great class of '18 turn pro after their third year (almost certainly Sterns) , so we need to be reloading.

I can see Cook leaving if he puts together back-to-back good years.  May definately need 3 Corners this class as I'm not sure how Caldwell will turn out.  Isn't he still recovering from a torn labrum and those can be tricky to recover from?  We look pretty good at Safety.

42 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Also, is Crawford a potential Nickel?

In the sense that he's extremely quick and plays physically, and can cover slots, he fits a traditional nickel. Does he fit Orlando's nickel though, which at least through two years, expects the nickel to essentially function as an outside linebacker and hold the end much of the time, which means it needs more of a safety body than a corner? I'm not sure. Josh Thompson's role this year, if he wins nickel, could be informative. If Foster wins the role, it could mean that the spot will be a safeties over a corners if given the option, although it could just that we'd be getting our best 11 on the field, and letting it shake itself out. 

Regardless, I think he's a good corner prospect, and I've heard some of the staff are really high on him. 

IT 

RECRUITING PRE-SPRING BREAK

The Texas coaches will host a handful of prospects on Friday before the players and staff go on Spring Break. The list is not long, but it is distinguished. 

Kelee Ringo, CB - Saguaro (AZ) (2020): For the third time, one of the nation's top corners found himself on the 40 Acres. This time, for five days. The more you learn about the five-star from Arizona, the more you like. He's the type of kid that goes in the first round of the NFL Draft if he stays the course. I haven't seen a high school defensive back this ready for the college game since Jamal Adams. On this prolonged visit he's immersed himself in the program and what it's like to be a student athlete at Texas. He's going to practices and meetings (when they aren't too early) and being just one of the guys. He's well liked and already one of the guys. 

Kitan Crawford, CB - John Tyler (TX) (2020): Of the top UT cornerback targets, Crawford is the least known but maybe the most intriguing with strength at the POA and elite change of direction. He plays on both sides of the ball for Cujo, but his future is on the island. This is the second time Crawford will have seen the Horns in little over a month. Okie State, Colorado, and Tennessee recently offered, and Arkansas is pushing, but I'd put Texas at the top of his list right now. "I told (UT) at Junior Day I would return when spring practice began. It's incredible." He's a man of his word. Crawford doesn't have a timeline to announce, which means he'll be on watch this weekend just in case. His standing on the big board is high enough for us to be paying attention.

Chris Thompson, DB - Duncanville (TX) (2020): It had been a while since the box safety visited Texas. He took in practice today with his head coach, Reginald Samples. We still feel good about Thompson, though he's taking a diligent, national approach. At this point he's in the top group of safeties the staff is pursuing. We're still thinking a summer announcement is most likely.

Kennedy Lewis, WR - Melissa (TX) (2019 Texas signee): The three-star member of the #fUTure19 signing class was so eager to see UT's practice, he attended on Wednesday and will return on Friday. Lewis told me "just focusing on finishing school strong," running the 100 and 200 in T&F, "but the weather has made it difficult early in the season." Checking out his major; Business. "I'll see the business school during the trip with my mom and sister. I want to learn more about it." The 6-foot-3 wideout told me UT coaches like him at, "Z, behind Duvernay." 

Jaylen Garth, OL - Port Neches-Groves (TX) (2020 Texas commit): The four-star verbal pledge to #cloUT2020 is making a return visit to catch spring practice and see his bud, Roschon Johnson, in action. "Me and my coach will be in town (Thursday) and see Roschon. We'll be there Friday for practice." 

Xavian Alford, S - Alvin Shadow Creek (TX) (2020): If you thought Ringo liked Austin, Alford might take up residence. This will be his third trip in five weeks. There's a mutual connection here with the four-star DB and the UT staff. LSU is still lingering, but this continues to trend Texas. We hear Alford's mom is quite the fan of Texas. He's just returning from a West Coast swing in which he saw USC and Oregon.

Tommy Brockermeyer, OT - Fort Worth All Saints (TX) (2021): After making a visit to Big 10 country to see the Hawkeyes with his twin brother, James, Team Brockermeyer is making a return trip to the land of Longhorns and Legacies. You know the story, best prospect in-state for 2021, and probably Top 5 prospect in the nation for his class. This trip may be as much for James than anything else. The Brockermeyers got in last night to spend some time with walk-on Luke Brockermeyer, who will get some real snaps this spring at linebacker.

James Brockermeyer, OL - Fort Worth All Saints (TX) (2021): Texas has made it clear they covet both offensive linemen, but only Tommy holds an offer. Maybe that changes on this visit. And if it does, I think Texas may have separated from the pack just a little more in the process. It would be a safe bet those two end up in burnt orange like their brother, and father, and grandfather.

32 minutes ago, Machinator said:

The Texas coaches will host a handful of prospects on Friday before the players and staff go on Spring Break. The list is not long, but it is distinguished. 

Kelee Ringo  -  Kitan Crawford  -  Chris Thompson - Jaylen Garth - Xavian Alford - Tommy Brockermeyer - James Brockermeyer

to continue a theme ... 

giphy.gif

• Like 3

Just now, satyanash said:

So if it comes down to Kitan Crawford or Xavion Alford at nickel, who's the take? IT recently mentioned that Alford had problems with physicality, but Crawford is a bit smaller.

Crawford is a corner that could play nickel and Alford is a nickel that could play corner, I don’t think it’s a one or the other deal. 

Fisher, yes. Riley, not yet imo
Riley is a head coach who might have won the national championship in 2017 if he'd had an even average defense to combine with his explosive offense led by a Heisman QB.

So for 2018 he rolled out an explosive offense led by a Heisman QB and an even worse defense than the previous year.

They're not offensive coordinators anymore. Judge them accordingly.
  • Like 6