Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

21 minutes ago, satyanash said:

E.J. Holland: Four-star RB Jo’Quavious Marks remains interested in Texas

Reveal hidden contents

Jo’Quavious Marks is taking his time with recruiting. The four-star running back out of Atlanta Carver (GA) holds offers from several major programs. But he is in the process of setting up official visits and narrowing down his lengthy list. “A lot of schools are standing out,” Marks said. “I’m going to chop it down next month. I’m supposed to visit LSU and Mississippi State soon. I know I’m going to make official visits to Penn State and Texas.”

Marks was actually supposed to make an unofficial visit to Texas in the fall, but weather ruined his plans while he was at the airport. Marks, however, is excited to finally make it to Austin and has been building a strong relationship with the Texas staff, specifically Director of Recruiting Bryan Carrington and running backs coach Stan Drayton. “I like the coaches,” Marks said. “They are all hyped up about me. Coach Bryan (Carrington) is my guy. I also love Stan Drayton as a coach. He is a good running backs coach. I also like the education at Texas. I want to major in sports medicine, and they have a good program for that.”

Marks added that he was impressed with UT’s signature win over Georgia in the Sugar Bowl this past season. “It was big,” Marks said. “They beat a good team from the SEC, so that was really impressive.” Marks wants to make a decision closer to the end of the calendar year. At 5-foot-11, 190 pounds, Marks is ranked as the No. 12 running back and No. 137 overall prospect in the country, per 247Sports Composite.

Is his nickname "Joe Que" or "Joek"?

7 hours ago, Bevo said:

Maybe it is the shading, but it looks to me like he has an extra arm.

Looking again, I saw what you were talking about.

I had to squint so that eyelashes messed with my vision. Perhaps you aren't wearing your glasses or your contacts are dry. Maybe it's because you're tired and it's late. With less than perfect vision, the viewer left arm can look like two arms due to the shading, but your vision has to be off to see it that way.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

Looking again, I saw what you were talking about.

I had to squint so that eyelashes messed with my vision. Perhaps you aren't wearing your glasses or your contacts are dry. Maybe it's because you're tired and it's late. With less than perfect vision, the viewer left arm can look like two arms due to the shading, but your vision has to be off to see it that way.

Thanks. Maybe, I should read Surly with glasses. OTOH my vision might have deteriorated after being subjected to the last few days of Shaggy.

• Haha 1

Princely Umanmielen

On 3/18/2019 at 10:22 PM, Machinator said:

Just Leal. We were also pushing for NaNa last May and didn't get him, though maybe that ends up being a good thing.

Who knows, maybe with a Jason Washington-type recruiter at DL we would have landed Perkins in 2018, but it's hard to tell with these OOS recruitments.

Like Burt Macklin says, it's about the process, not the outcome.

If we land at least 3 out of 4 of Broughton, Collins, Dorbah, and Princely this cycle, maybe I'll grudgingly accept that our "process" with recruiting high-level DL works.

Dorbah is a Linebacker/Rover, not a DT/NT.   Vernon Broughton, Jacobian Guillory, Alfred Collins, and Princely Umanmielen are the four DT/NT I would like to see see signed.

Eric Nahlin: More from The Opening Houston

Our friend, quarterback trainer Brad Wilson Stanfield, took stock of the Houston talent at his position of expertise and offered his thoughts.

After focusing on the signal callers for four hours straight, here are his thoughts. It's interesting to note that he doesn't see an elite, Texas-type talent, in the city for the 2020 or 2021 cycle.

After the Elite11 in Houston this past Sunday no one walked away with an invitation to the main event in July. These instructors do an outstanding job in preparation, teaching, and overall organization. It’s a first-class event.

It’s important to point out that most of these guys are getting invited because of two things: First, their high school film, and, second, their one-day evaluation which confirms or enhances what they’ve seen or not seen on film. When it comes to reviewing film, Urban Myer and many others want to see what you did against good level of play when it mattered most.

2020 Camp MVP Austin Renfro – 6-4 180 Stephenville, TX: I respect their decision with this one. Awesome for that kid and his family. Growth potential is there, with some talent. It’s a blessing for this kid with little interest and no offers as of yet. Elite11 helped an under-the-radar kid who performed well at the camp, but in many eyes performed no better than a lot of the others. Renfro looked to be a late invite with no name on his shirt. People will watch his film now. His team made it to the second-round last year in 4ATexas.

2020 Shane Illingworth- 6’5 230 from Norco, CA: It will probably not be the first time you see or hear about him again. The kid hasgood upper half mechanics for a big guy, which is why he is consistent and confident when on platform. His film and offers back that up. Put together very well physically. Looked more like a NFL combine QB.

Three 2020 QB’s – JD Head (Pearland), Ken Seals (Weatherford), and Deuce Hogan (Faith Christian, Iowa commit). It was my second time seeing Hogan and Seals after they were invited back from the Dallas competition. These guys are 6’3, 6’4, and platform pocket guys for the most part. The size leans to Seals and Hogan on college level durability. Seals is a grinder and ran a good shuttle time. Purest throwing mechanics and ball placement was JD Head. Head won a state title in Oklahoma before moving to Pearland due to his dad’s job. I expect to see his stock rise in spring ball. All three are consistent and will play FBS ball.

2020 QB Ryan Stubblefield - Richmond Foster, TX: Explosive arm, quick release. Stood out from the others. 4.6 laser 40. Accurate, could make all the throws, and good touch. Chandler Morris from Highland Park and Ryan Stubblefield from Foster are clearly the two best 6’0 or under QB’s in the state of Texas for 2020. Both are 4.6 laser guys. Stats are coming out about the smaller QB’s. Both of their stocks should rise. Cornell, TSU, Grambling have offered Stubblefield. He helped lead his team to the state quarterfinals.

2021 QB’s

Dematrius Davis Jr.- North Shore: Not a lot needs to be said here. He is a perfect example of film and Friday nights mattering more than prototype. 6A State Champ with legit stats. Good upper half mechanics. I was hoping to see numbers (40, Shuttle, etc), but he didn’t make the combine portion. Like all 2021 QB’s I look forward to watching him grow. He has always had the “it” factor for this game. Baller. Most offers from any QB at the event for 2021.

Jalen Milroe- Katy Thompkins Katy, TX: 6’2” and one of the top 2021 QB’s. Physical specimen. Most explosive arm talent of all 2021 QB’s on hand. Ran a 4.6 laser. They were about 65/35 run pass last season at Tompkins. Improved growth at WR spot is expected for the 2019 season according to his head coach. They were/are doing a lot right there with a regional finals appearance, and one of the best turnaround stories of the 2018 season. Power 5 QB no doubt. It’s not about where you start, it’s about where you finish = Growth Potential.

Other 2021 QB’s I’m looking to follow based on performance:

- Lucas Coley- Judson
- Kyron Drones- Shadow Creek
- Ruben Jimenez- Belton
- Finn Nicholson- Bridgeland
- Luke Grden- Friendswood
- Bronson McClelland- Katy

They threw for four hours.It’s a long grueling workout. I really like to compare mechanics and throwing talent to their film, production, and the system they play in. There were really a lot of quality QB’s at the event. At the end of the day go lead your team to exceed outside expectations. If you produce, then it all takes care of its self. However, if you are developing the person before the player daily, I believe it leads to your best results.

ALFRED COLLINS

Interviewing the 6-foot-5, 250 pound defensive end from Bastrop offers flashbacks to talking to women who had no interest in the conversation -- though he's not quite as put-off. Now each and every one of you males knows how to read this. He's a man of action, not words.

Schools Standing out:
“UT, A&M, OU, Bama and Notre Dame.”

On Texas:
“I’ve always loved the Longhorns. It’s in my blood, you know.”

Upcoming visits:
"I'm going to the spring game for A&M, but I don't know anything else."

The spring game for Texas is that same day, will you hit both or just A&M:
"Just A&M."

Are you going to see Texas this spring for a practice or anything?
“Yes, I’m going to try to go.”

Is your point of contact Giles? What do you think of him?
“Yeah, Giles. He’s a good coach, funny guy.”

How often do you talk to Notre Dame? Plan on visiting?
“Pretty often. I’m going to try to take an official visit up to Notre Dame.”

Who is the point of contact with Notre Dame?
"It doesn't really say a name but it says Notre Dame football (on Twitter) and sometimes a coach contacts me but I don't know his name."

Are you taking spring or fall official visits?
"I'm going to try and see if I can take an official to A&M for the spring game but other than that I don't know." (It was reported a day later he'll use his A&M official visit for the Alabama game)

Do you have a timetable to make a decision?
"No, not yet."

If there was a clash of titans in basketball between you and Vernon Broughton who would win?
"Me." [that at least got a smile out of him]

It appears at this point the Collins recruitment will go into the fall. I'm still not worried but it's not the sound, fundamental two-handed Larry Nance breakaway slam dunk people want it to be.

CHAD LINDBERG

The Clear Creek priority visited two national powers over spring break.

How was Clemson?:
“The day after I went to Clemson they got their fifth offensive line commit. I’ll just have to talk to them if I still have a spot or not. That would put it in the conversation. I’m not saying I’d go there but it’d definitely be up there. After seeing the facilities and talking to the coaching staff, I didn’t really get to talk to Dabo that much but I got to hear him talk to his team twice. One in pre-practice meetings and one after practice. I think he’s a genuine guy.”

Clemson:
“We picked probably the nicest weather to visit Clemson, which I’m sure happens a lot. It was a very nice day.”

Georgia:
“Georgia was on spring break so it was like a ghost town. It was just me and Sam Pittman. We were talking football basically for four hours.”

Process:
“Thinking everything through and setting up officials.”

Spring OVs?:
“I’m going to try and take all five in the spring so I can get them all done.”

Do you know what weekend you'll start taking them?
“I don’t even know the first one, when you can take them.”

Decision in the summer?:
“Ideally.”

Talking with Logan and Jake:
“Started talking to Jake more. I’ve been talking to Logan. He was just on a cruise for the last week, so I haven’t talked to him in a week. I’ve been talking to Jake quite a bit and I talk to Hudson every once in a while.”

The Lindberg recruitment seems right on time to me but I certainly don't have him in the class calculator just yet. If he does pick UT this summer that will give him plenty of time to recruit for the Horns. I think that's a mantle he'll want to take up, especially with a guy like Zach Evans.

Edited by satyanash

8 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Eric Nahlin: More from The Opening

Hide contents

Our friend, quarterback trainer Brad Wilson Stanfield, took stock of the Houston talent at his position of expertise and offered his thoughts.

After focusing on the signal callers for four hours straight, here are his thoughts. It's interesting to note that he doesn't see an elite, Texas-type talent, in the city for the 2020 or 2021 cycle.

After the Elite11 in Houston this past Sunday no one walked away with an invitation to the main event in July.

These instructors do an outstanding job in preparation, teaching, and overall organization. It’s a first-class event.

It’s important to point out that most of these guys are getting invited because of two things: First, their high school film, and, second, their one-day evaluation which confirms or enhances what they’ve seen or not seen on film. When it comes to reviewing film, Urban Myer and many others want to see what you did against good level of play when it mattered most.

2020 Camp MVP Austin Renfro – 6-4 180 Stephenville, TX: I respect their decision with this one. Awesome for that kid and his family. Growth potential is there, with some talent. It’s a blessing for this kid with little interest and no offers as of yet. Elite11 helped an under-the-radar kid who performed well at the camp, but in many eyes performed no better than a lot of the others. Renfro looked to be a late invite with no name on his shirt. People will watch his film now. His team made it to the second-round last year in 4ATexas.

2020 Shane Illingworth- 6’5 230 from Norco, CA: It will probably not be the first time you see or hear about him again. The kid hasgood upper half mechanics for a big guy, which is why he is consistent and confident when on platform. His film and offers back that up. Put together very well physically. Looked more like a NFL combine QB.

Three 2020 QB’s – JD Head (Pearland), Ken Seals (Weatherford), and Deuce Hogan (Faith Christian, Iowa commit). It was my second time seeing Hogan and Seals after they were invited back from the Dallas competition. These guys are 6’3, 6’4, and platform pocket guys for the most part. The size leans to Seals and Hogan on college level durability. Seals is a grinder and ran a good shuttle time. Purest throwing mechanics and ball placement was JD Head. Head won a state title in Oklahoma before moving to Pearland due to his dad’s job. I expect to see his stock rise in spring ball. All three are consistent and will play FBS ball.

2020 QB Ryan Stubblefield - Richmond Foster, TX: Explosive arm, quick release. Stood out from the others. 4.6 laser 40. Accurate, could make all the throws, and good touch. Chandler Morris from Highland Park and Ryan Stubblefield from Foster are clearly the two best 6’0 or under QB’s in the state of Texas for 2020. Both are 4.6 laser guys. Stats are coming out about the smaller QB’s. Both of their stocks should rise. Cornell, TSU, Grambling have offered Stubblefield. He helped lead his team to the state quarterfinals.

2021 QB’s

Dematrius Davis Jr.- North Shore: Not a lot needs to be said here. He is a perfect example of film and Friday nights mattering more than prototype. 6A State Champ with legit stats. Good upper half mechanics. I was hoping to see numbers (40, Shuttle, etc), but he didn’t make the combine portion. Like all 2021 QB’s I look forward to watching him grow. He has always had the “it” factor for this game. Baller. Most offers from any QB at the event for 2021.

Jalen Milroe- Katy Thompkins Katy, TX: 6’2” and one of the top 2021 QB’s. Physical specimen. Most explosive arm talent of all 2021 QB’s on hand. Ran a 4.6 laser. They were about 65/35 run pass last season at Tompkins. Improved growth at WR spot is expected for the 2019 season according to his head coach. They were/are doing a lot right there with a regional finals appearance, and one of the best turnaround stories of the 2018 season. Power 5 QB no doubt. It’s not about where you start, it’s about where you finish = Growth Potential.

Other 2021 QB’s I’m looking to follow based on performance:

- Lucas Coley- Judson
- Kyron Drones- Shadow Creek
- Ruben Jimenez- Belton
- Finn Nicholson- Bridgeland
- Luke Grden- Friendswood
- Bronson McClelland- Katy

They threw for four hours.It’s a long grueling workout. I really like to compare mechanics and throwing talent to their film, production, and the system they play in. There were really a lot of quality QB’s at the event. At the end of the day go lead your team to exceed outside expectations. If you produce, then it all takes care of its self. However, if you are developing the person before the player daily, I believe it leads to your best results.

ALFRED COLLINS

Interviewing the 6-foot-5, 250 pound defensive end from Bastrop offers flashbacks to talking to women who had no interest in the conversation -- though he's not quite as put-off. Now each and every one of you males knows how to read this.

He's a man of action, not words.

Schools Standing out:
“UT, A&M, OU, Bama and Notre Dame.”

On Texas:
“I’ve always loved the Longhorns. It’s in my blood, you know.”

Upcoming visits:
"I'm going to the spring game for A&M, but I don't know anything else."

The spring game for Texas is that same day, will you hit both or just A&M:
"Just A&M."

Are you going to see Texas this spring for a practice or anything?
“Yes, I’m going to try to go.”

Is your point of contact Giles? What do you think of him?
“Yeah, Giles. He’s a good coach, funny guy.”

How often do you talk to Notre Dame? Plan on visiting?
“Pretty often. I’m going to try to take an official visit up to Notre Dame.”

Who is the point of contact with Notre Dame?
"It doesn't really say a name but it says Notre Dame football (on Twitter) and sometimes a coach contacts me but I don't know his name."

Are you taking spring or fall official visits?
"I'm going to try and see if I can take an official to A&M for the spring game but other than that I don't know." (It was reported a day later he'll use his A&M official visit for the Alabama game)

Do you have a timetable to make a decision?
"No, not yet."

If there was a clash of titans in basketball between you and Vernon Broughton who would win?
"Me." [that at least got a smile out of him]

It appears at this point the Collins recruitment will go into the fall. I'm still not worried but it's not the sound, fundamental two-handed Larry Nance breakaway slam dunk people want it to be.

CHAD LINDBERG

The Clear Creek priority visited two national powers over spring break.

How was Clemson?:
“The day after I went to Clemson they got their fifth offensive line commit. I’ll just have to talk to them if I still have a spot or not. That would put it in the conversation. I’m not saying I’d go there but it’d definitely be up there. After seeing the facilities and talking to the coaching staff, I didn’t really get to talk to Dabo that much but I got to hear him talk to his team twice. One in pre-practice meetings and one after practice. I think he’s a genuine guy.”

Clemson:
“We picked probably the nicest weather to visit Clemson, which I’m sure happens a lot. It was a very nice day.”

Georgia:
“Georgia was on spring break so it was like a ghost town. It was just me and Sam Pittman. We were talking football basically for four hours.”

Process:
“Thinking everything through and setting up officials.”

Spring OVs?:
“I’m going to try and take all five in the spring so I can get them all done.”

Do you know what weekend you'll start taking them?
“I don’t even know the first one, when you can take them.”

Decision in the summer?:
“Ideally.”

Talking with Logan and Jake:
“Started talking to Jake more. I’ve been talking to Logan. He was just on a cruise for the last week, so I haven’t talked to him in a week. I’ve been talking to Jake quite a bit and I talk to Hudson every once in a while.”

The Lindberg recruitment seems right on time to me but I certainly don't have him in the class calculator just yet. If he does pick UT this summer that will give him plenty of time to recruit for the Horns. I think that's a mantle he'll want to take up, especially with a guy like Zach Evans.

Brutal re: Collins. Given how many recruits call him funny, I think he's just sending them an iPhone picture of his Joke-A-Day calendar when he thinks its particularly good.

Edited by texifornia

18 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I'm pretty damn annoyed about it too. Just let it all out now and don't derail the thread for days on end, is all I ask.

I'm basically Casandra.

Just to let everyone know, because I know you were concerned about me, I got it out of my system two days ago. But I'll be laughing at the concept of crediting a guy for a recruit that hasn't committed to Texas at any point in the process, because EJ Holland said so, until the day I fucking die. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, satyanash said:

wishful thinking

Also, just to be perfectly clear, and someone correct me if I'm mistaken, but in the last several days this was the timeline, per different 9.95 sources, I will grant you:

1) Reports that Collins isn't sure which spring game he will attend
2) Collins said he wanted to Official to aTm, but they said hold off, wait for 'Bama in the fall
3.) EJ Holland talks about how hard Giles is working
4.) Despite data point #2, Collins then in an interview with Nahlin indicates he is going to the aTm spring game anyway. 

Now, there are complications here since it's reporting coming from multiple sources, but am I correctly capturing the recent events? 

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Also, just to be perfectly clear, and someone correct me if I'm mistaken, but in the last several days this was the timeline, per different 9.95 sources, I will grant you:

2) Collins said he wanted to Official to aTm, but they said hold off, wait for 'Bama in the fall
4.) Despite data point #2, Collins then in an interview with Nahlin indicates he is going to the aTm spring game anyway. 

Now, there are complications here since it's reporting coming from multiple sources, but am I correctly capturing the recent events? 

The pattern goes back to when Collins visited A&M for their junior day, but not ours. We need to see him make concrete plans to visit Texas and that interview was discouraging. 

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Point 3 was about Broughton, not Collins.

The other thing is that there doesn't seem to much word from the A&M side about him either. The ministry has been conspicuously silent.

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Point 3 was about Broughton, not Collins.

The other thing is that there doesn't seem to much word from the A&M side about him either. The ministry has been conspicuously silent.

Excellent. Thanks for the correction, that's why I asked. Of course, technically I could say Hard Work is hard work, right?

Edited by SydneyCarton

2 minutes ago, satyanash said:

The pattern goes back to when Collins visited A&M for their junior day, but not ours. We need to see him make concrete plans to visit Texas and that interview was discouraging.  

He also visited Baylor during Texas' "Elite Day". He visited Texas on the first weekend after the dead period and hasn't since. Giles did watch him play a basketball game though. 

This is starting to feel a little like the 5* DE who lived like 20 miles away from the Ohio State stadium supposedly leaning towards Michigan and Penn State are various times last cycle leading to their boards freaking out before he eventually signed with Ohio State

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I know this is literally impossible for them to do, but my concern is they're feeling confident and that they don't need to peacock about re: his visit, and Collins is gonna pull a Leal and fuck around and commit at their Spring game.

Yeah, you can read the tea leaves on this one.  Missed our JR day,  missed our Elite day, is missing our spring game, and is already booking his first official visit to aggy.  I'm preparing myself for a gut punch.  

Plenty of people have already stated this but with Texas, aggy, ou having their spring games the same day, where a recruit decides to attend should tell you where they are leaning.

Edited by victory88

E.J. Holland: Texas making huge impression on five-star CB Kelee Ringo

Texas Crystal Ball picks are slowly starting to trickle in for Texas and five-star Saguaro (AZ) cornerback Kelee Ringo. But that should come as no surprise. After all, Ringo is fresh off his third visit to Texas — he has yet to visit any other school more than once — and is already getting tired of answering questions about the Longhorns. “I feel like we’ve covered everything when we’ve talked about Texas,” Ringo said with a laugh. “It’s just the program and the coaches that stand out to me — Coach (Tom) Herman, Coach (Jason) Washington and Coach (Tim) Beck. The overall atmosphere is great. And the scenery is amazing.”

Ringo spent his entire spring break at Texas. While there, Ringo got to bond with the entire coaching staff as well as the players on the team, took in practice and toured the campus and city. The trip was also a learning experience for Ringo as he really soaked in the tradition on the Forty Acres. And that’s one thing that really has his attention early on. “The defensive back tradition really appeals to me,” Ringo said. “I think Jason Washington does a really good job with the defensive backs. It’s one of the DBU schools. Michael Huff is just one example. They’ve had very good players that have gone on to the league.”

As mentioned, Ringo got to spend a lot of time with the players and is quickly forming a relationship with 2019 ringleader De’Gabriel Floyd as well as signees and fellow Arizona natives Jake Smith and Brayden Liebrock. “When I was on my visit, I was with De’Gabriel Floyd like the whole time,” Ringo said. “I know a lot of the players since I’ve been up there a few times. I’ve also talked to Jake Smith and Brayden Liebrock. They really want me to commit because of the work we can get in practice together.”

Texas has a couple of really interesting ties to Ringo in this recruitment. Offensive coordinator Tim Beck was a former head coach at his high school, and his position coach at Saguaro happens to be Texas-ex Bryant Westbrook. And yes, Westbrook is helping the Longhorns. “He’s on me a lot, obviously,” Ringo said. “He’s an alum of the school. He just tells me to get a feel for it and that he would personally like for me to go to Texas. But honestly, it’s all up to me and what I feel is best for me.”

Ringo is still planning to make visits to schools like Oklahoma and Ohio State this offseason and would like to make a decision later in the process. At 6-foot-2, 205 pounds, Ringo is ranked as the No. 2 cornerback and No. 12 overall prospect in the country, per 247Sports Composite.

19 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Give it up, Texas could sign Dobrah, Collins, Broughton, and the Arizona kid and people would still bitch about Umanmielen going somewhere else.

I'm going to say this now so it's not later considered sour grapes. I watched one of Umanmielen's games this past season, and I wasn't overly impressed with him. He's pretty good and has a good motor, but I don't think he's a can't-miss player. I don't particularly care if he comes here or not, no matter how many times he's visited campus.

3 hours ago, Fud said:

After reading IT's Collins interview, I'm rustled due to Giles enough this morning to take the one day ban 

If reading an updated report about a key recruit, then commenting on it gets you banned then fuck it. Sign me up for a timeout. 

That report was very discouraging and signs are not pointing in favor of Collins to Texas. That's is an astounding level of incompetence from our staff. Like, telling RG3 he might make a decent safety prospect level of fucktardedness.  Or like Bobby Kennedy evaluating WR prospects. 

• Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

If reading an updated report about a key recruit, then commenting on it gets you banned then fuck it. Sign me up for a timeout. 

That report was very discouraging and signs are not pointing in favor of Collins to Texas. That's is an astounding level of incompetence from our staff. Like, telling RG3 he might make a decent safety prospect level of fucktardedness.  Or like Bobby Kennedy evaluating WR prospects. 

I still think we land him in the end, fwiw 

3 minutes ago, Fud said:

I still think we land him in the end, fwiw 

Is the optimism based entirely on him being a Texas legacy? He does not want to attend any of our recruiting events in favor of A&M or Baylor  because he already knows our campus?  I sure hope that is the case. 

27 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I'm going to say this now so it's not later considered sour grapes. I watched one of Umanmielen's games this past season, and I wasn't overly impressed with him. He's pretty good and has a good motor, but I don't think he's a can't-miss player. I don't particularly care if he comes here or not, no matter how many times he's visited campus.

I feel the same way about Princely as a prospect.

For me, it would not be about missing on him per se, it's the fact that our staff appears to be prioritizing him and yet all it takes is one visit to College Station and he goes from someone easily attainable to a toss-up. And I don't think this is one of those "weird" recruitments, either.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Newy25 said:

Is the optimism based entirely on him being a Texas legacy? He does not want to attend any of our recruiting events in favor of A&M or Baylor  because he already knows our campus?  I sure hope that is the case. 

No, but being a legacy and having a family member in the AD are certainly a factor. As is living twenty minutes away from campus, as is Texas being on the rise. As is him visiting three or four Texas games this fall, including the USC game. I think each one of these factors respectively is an edge, and when combined should give us a win in the end. Herman just needs to start putting his aces on him (and on Princely as well). 

2 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

If we don't land Collins after the season we just had and the connections this board will reach catastrophic levels.

Why?  Kids make the choices they make for tons of different reasons.   No one is a lock for Texas just because family ties or high school or anything.  It's the coaches jobs to recruit players they believe will help us win a national championship and have back up plans ready if they don't.  

Every 9.95er has their bullshit spin for their school. Depth chart, friends who are already on the team, parents who went to the school, the incredible personal rleationship that player has with only their coach.  It's all bullshit. 

• Like 2

Just now, deech said:

Why?  Kids make the choices they make for tons of different reasons.   No one is a lock for Texas just because family ties or high school or anything.  It's the coaches jobs to recruit players they believe will help us win a national championship and have back up plans ready if they don't.  

Every 9.95er has their bullshit spin for their school. Depth chart, friends who are already on the team, parents who went to the school, the incredible personal rleationship that player has with only their coach.  It's all bullshit. 

A bluechip legacy at a need position who lives 20 minutes away from campus should be a lock, and the board will rightfully melt down if he picks one of our two big rivals. Come on, dude.

• Like 2

Just now, deech said:

Of course the board will melt down.  Just like they melted down with the rb last year who committed to Penn state.. Just like they did with Leal.  And over and over again.  Maybe we should break the 9.95 wheel. 

Those were bad losses at need positions, and we didn't sign comparable prospects to replace them. When else should people get annoyed?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, deech said:

Of course the board will melt down.  Just like they melted down with the rb last year who committed to Penn state.. Just like they did with Leal.  And over and over again.  Maybe we should break the 9.95 wheel. 

If you find following recruiting and the ups and downs so tedious, and only care about the big picture of the program’s position, why are you following recruiting at all? Or showing up here any day other than signing day? Im perpetually amazed at people who show up here or follow the program at all that get upset when posters arent 100% sunshine all the time.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, deech said:

Were we supposed to be content with those outcomes? We really needed Cain and Leal was probably the best prospect in the state of Texas.

• Like 1

I guess I just think it's stupid to melt down. We lose Dontavious Jackson to FSU and recruit Gary Johnson the next cycle.  Everything turned out OK at MLB the last two years. We may be in heavy on a kid who commits to Penn State but then we look stronger the following year for Evans.  Shit happens. Not every legacy within 20 miles commits here.  It's not a disaster if he wants to go to Alabama or Aggie or wherever to go to school.  Coaches should push for Collins, but there are probably three different fan bases being told different reasons why Collins should head there way.  Until the kid makes his choice on the way to the podium (fuck you ej) because the decision went up to the last second and he didn't wake up knowing what school he was going to choose. 

• Like 4

If you find following recruiting and the ups and downs so tedious, and only care about the big picture of the program’s position, why are you following recruiting at all? Or showing up here any day other than signing day? Im perpetually amazed at people who show up here or follow the program at all that get upset when posters arent 100% sunshine all the time.  

People only feel happy emotions in real life so that's how this board should be too. No negativity allowed, ever.

Because I get some back story on the kids that play football and their recruitment.  I read actual quotes from the players at times.  I can see how hard this coaching staff works compared to the last two at recruiting.  I'm not saying it's not fun to talk recruiting.  Just that melting down over one 18 year old isn't worth it. 

• Like 6

Just now, deech said:

Everything turned out OK at MLB the last two years.

No, it didn't. Having to play Wheeler at MLB cost us at least two games this season. Our inadequate recruiting at ILB from 2016 through 2018 (yes, Herman/Orlando share some blame as well) put us in a disadvantageous position on defense.

The fact that you can't even evaluate the team and roster correctly tells me that you're out of your depth here.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, deech said:

I guess I just think it's stupid to melt down. We lose Dontavious Jackson to FSU and recruit Gary Johnson the next cycle.  Everything turned out OK at MLB the last two years. We may be in heavy on a kid who commits to Penn State but then we look stronger the following year for Evans.  Shit happens. Not every legacy within 20 miles commits here.  It's not a disaster if he wants to go to Alabama or Aggie or wherever to go to school.  Coaches should push for Collins, but there are probably three different fan bases being told different reasons why Collins should head there way.  Until the kid makes his choice on the way to the podium (fuck you ej) because the decision went up to the last second and he didn't wake up knowing what school he was going to choose. 

Yeah guys, when we lose recruiting battles it always works out ok. That's why we've been so good for the last decade. Just look at QB recruiting. Sure we missed on RG3/Manziel/tons of other great Texas HS QBs but we replaced them with capable players so it's all good. 

• Like 4